• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 26, 2017
UPDATE: NateDrake now reports that Ori (the first?) is Switch-bound, plus Game Pass and xCloud are coming to Switch as well:

###

So with all the Nintendo rumors popping up, we have another I think more than deserves a thread.

First, we just had a thread where Liam Robertson in his new vid talking about the "Nintendo reviving a dead and buried game", which included this bit when speaking about Microsoft owning Scalebound and whether they'd ever sell it to Nintendo or not at the 6:10 mark in the video:

Liam Robertson said:
"There's also the matter that Microsoft owns Scalebound. Nintendo and Microsoft have a very good relationship nowadays, and i have heard they're working on big things together, but I do think selling Scalebound to Nintendo might be a step too far."

Second, TheSentry42 brought up in the Switch Rumor Archive Thread that Imran and the team in the newest Game Informer Show, say the following during the Hellblade Switch segment (and how it's essentially a Microsoft product now that MS bought Ninja Theory) at 58:04:

Imran: I think there's probably going to be more of those in the future.

Ben: Oh, more Microsoft games on Nintendo Switch?

Imran: Yeah.

Ben: Hmm, I wonder how many balls were in motion before the Microsoft purchase though. Do you think they were already working on a Nintendo Switch version and it's just like "well it'd be stupid to waste that development effort so go ahead Ninja Theory".

Suriel: And I mean, they already have Minecraft on there so it's not Microsoft's precedent to say "now we're gonna cancel this since we we bought you, I feel that they're way cooler about that than maybe Sony might have been.

Imran: I mean, Phil Spencer has meetings with NIntendo as a third party, like they talk in third-party relations. There's more work to come probably.

Hope I transcribed and summed that up well enough, Imran can hopefully correct me if I didn't. (Update: Added Dancrane212's version, thanks!)

Of course, this isn't super surprising when Microsoft have personally not only worked on the Wii U, 3DS, and now the Switch versions of Minecraft, but most significantly have integrated Xbox Live directly into the Switch version's Bedrock update that allows you to link your Microsoft account to the Switch version. This allows cross-play, achievements, and I think better unification of the marketplace-bought items? THEN we have the announced/leaked(?) GDC Keynote about Microsoft talking about bringing the XBL SDK to Switch alongside iOS and Andriod systems for 3rd-parties to integrate it into their games, presumably exactly like Minecraft.

What are your thoughts?

Last edited:

JB2448

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Rare Replay for Nintendo Switch and Windows 10 and they can do anything else they want.
xCloud stuff sounds interesting; hopefully it leads somewhere.
GDC is going to be interesting to watch this year.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
The signs and rumors about this have been building for a while now. I'm curious to see what else will come of this relationship.

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
Microsoft's new strategy is trying to be everywhere no matter the piece of electronics you're on so it isn't surprising.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Eh, this doesn't seem like new info. Microsoft and Nintendo are friendly because of crossplay. Hellblade is on Switch, because Microsoft clearly doesn't have an issue with the studios publishing their previous non-exlcusive games on other platforms (Minecraft, We Happy Few, etc).

I think it's possible Scalebound has been revived on Switch. But I don't see what Microsoft would have to do with it after they abandoned the trademark.

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
In an ideal world this'll be Banjo Kazooie 3, but in reality we're probably just going to get Rare Replay, Super Luck Tale, and Halo on Switch. : /

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Nintendo x Microsoft with Nintendo covering the handheld and Microsoft covering the high end.

Xbox Live on both consoles, Gamepass Streaming to Switch, and cross-platform games starting with Halo Infinite. Older Nintendo games in 4K on One X using Microsofts insane emulation and upscaling chops.

That's my wishlist.

Last edited:

Shantae

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Feb 15, 2019
I don't know where the news came from, but I heard on the beastcast that an Xbox live app was coming to switch also. If Nintendo doesn't wanna create their own achievement system, I'd gladly let switch games have xbox achievements.

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
I think we'll be seeing some wild shit soon.

The Scalebound rumors didn't pop out of nowhere. We know MS is planning to expand as a Platform. XCloud is going to want more more exposure...

I saw a poster make a great point, where they said a partnership with MS and Nintendo isn't that farfetched since it allows MS to break into the Japanese market where they never have been competitive.

Makes alot of sense. I can't wait for the announcements.

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
Eh, this doesn't seem like new info. Microsoft and Nintendo are friendly because of crossplay. Hellblade is on Switch, because Microsoft clearly doesn't have an issue with the studios publishing their previous non-exlcusive games on other platforms (Minecraft, We Happy Few, etc).

I think it's possible Scalebound has been revived on Switch. But I don't see what Microsoft would have to do with it after they abandoned the trademark.
Hellblade port was being worked on before the acquisition. Ninja Theory is self publishing the game on Switch.

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017
Hope it's a mutual thing if MS starts porting games to Switch. Would love to see Rare's Donkey Kong games on Xbox/W10.

I feel like it's too early to tell though. Hellblade Switch was signed before the acquisition, so that's not really telling of what's going to happen going forward.

Edit: Would love a Xbox/Switch cross-play remake of Goldeneye If they can straighten out the licensing issues.

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
I get the feeling it's pure speculation because they had very good partnership so far (crossplay, Minecraft etc). I don't expect much more than that but I really hope I'm wrong. If Nintendo and Microsoft work it out, Goldeneye HD can finally become a thing, as well as other greater stuff.

Dyashen

Dec 20, 2017
Belgium
Rare Replay, Killer Instinct and Battletoads for Switch would probably be the safest bets.

The thing with Rare Replay is that a big part of the game is just BC titles. XBLA titles like Banjo Kazooie or Perfect Dark and regular 360 titles like PD:Zero or Banjo Nuts&bolts.
With compromises, i could KI definitely see ending up on the Switch.

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah but what's Microsoft going to get from Nintendo? NSO and all those free NES games?
People playing their games, for starters. Xbox One is falling behind on the market as a console unfortunately. It isn't doing bad but Microsoft clearly wants to get itself out there for it's software above all else.

Then if by some miracle Game Pass comes to Switch, that would also be a huge deal as well.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't believe Microsoft/Xbox sees Nintendo as a direct competitor anymore. Sony/SIE likely always will, due to Nintendo's dominance in Japan.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I suspect Super Lucky's Tale is another since it was leaked for Switch via CV profiles.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/ni...-super-lucky-tale-coming-to-the-switch.90575/

Also THQ Nordic could be involved because they are publishing MS games at retail on PC, and of course the OG THQ published MS's western games on GBA and DS (Japanese stuff like Blue Dragon were by others).
Super Lucky's Tale isn't first party though, it was just a publishing deal. Playful own the rights.

I think xCloud makes more sense than porting going forward though. Microsoft is now structured around driving service/platform, and not individual product. xCloud allows them to be on other devices whilst the user remaining within their closed walls when using the service: a win/win.

DocSeuss

Oct 25, 2017
March is gonna be a fun month. ;)

Microsoft's new strategy is trying to be everywhere no matter the piece of electronics you're on so it isn't surprising.

I mean, I wrote an article about that last december and a bunch of people got mad at me... this isn't new, this is 20-30 years in the making.

OP
OP
Hero of Legend
Oct 26, 2017
I think we'll be seeing some wild shit soon.

The Scalebound rumors didn't pop out of nowhere. We know MS is planning to expand as a Platform. XCloud is going to want more more exposure...

I saw a poster make a great point, where they said a partnership with MS and Nintendo isn't that farfetched since it allows MS to break into the Japanese market where they never have been competitive.

Makes alot of sense. I can't wait for the announcements.

Minecraft on Switch is BY FAR their most successful game ever in Japan. They had zero involvement with the Vita version since that predated the buyout. Plus MS legit published it in Japan with their name on it and everything. They're making bank with it.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Are we sure that this isn't just a Zelda Minecraft pack or something?

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
I don't get the Banjo comments... Microsoft could already make a Banjo Threeie and I don't see how this adds anything to that. Though, Banjo in Smash would be super cool.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
Yeah but what's Microsoft going to get from Nintendo? NSO and all those free NES games?
People paying money for their games. Same with Play Anywhere/bringing more games to W10. People aren't buying XB1s for stuff like Super Lucky's Tale, so a Switch port would be smart. XCloud will be on mobile and desktop, they could put it on Switch and get even more $

Sean Mirrsen

Banned
May 9, 2018
minecraft_switch_xbox_one_cross_play_1920.png

Curious to see what they have planned.

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I mean, I dont know how Microsoft operates but i dont see Nintendo releasing shit on Xbox