• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Will the game show in August after being a bust in June?

• Yes

Votes: 653 36.3%
  • No

Votes: 1,147 63.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Duncan

Oct 25, 2017
Yet the Contra franchise continues to be unloved.

Especially with the existence of Rogue Corps ugh.

Oct 25, 2017
If Sony gets MGS, what's left to do? A retelling of the MSX games?
MG1 & MG2
MGS1 remake/remaster
Ghost Babel remake
MGS3 remake
MGS4 port/ remake

Metal Gear 3(series "reboot" branch that breaks away from the Solid branch, Babel also kinda did this)

Basically if you asked me to make the next Metal Gear my ideal vision would be,
MG1&2 remakes first
Metal Gear 3 that continues from there and sidesteps Solid(not hurting Kojima's games and cutting some baggage)
takes place the same year as Solid with significant divergent points(Solid Snake back in Foxhound, Foxhound not revolting, Snake a true son of BB not a clone)
3 in the title has an extra meaning, 3 player co-op story.
Solid Snake...... Mei-Ling.......... Sniper Wolf
Mei-Ling can only use most simple weapons(pistols smgs), Mei-Ling also controls stuff like jammers,chaff. Most of all only Mei-Ling has the Soliton Radar

Sniper Wolf has excellent Sniper handling(doesn't need Pentazemin), gets the camo index and can spot camouflaged enemies, items etc.

Snake is an all arounder, has stealth actions(like enemy choke, silent footsteps, magazines, cardboard box) but also gets the heavy equipment like the missile launchers

larger openworld than V, no returning to a hub base like V. basically about being shotdown behind enemy lines after a new group takes over Zanzibar Land(MG2SS)
classic linear bases within a large openworld

Crazy I know, just an idea I had in my head since the first MGS4 trailers.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But I wasn't the one that declared
In regards to MGR being the best Metal Gear game.

Objectivity in determining apples and oranges is completely pointless. Is Rising a better game than MGS1? MGS2? Are they even comparable?(No.) Is there an objective way to directly compare them? We can look at other factors, like the game's relative popularity (it's sales), cultural significance(Merchandise, what's talked about, other adaptions) or critical consensus (review scores). If we are going to be objective in those 3 categories, then Rising loses out in all three, making it, in the most objective sense we can think of, not the best game in the series.

I don't even hate MGR, I just think putting it up on a pedestal to shit on the rest of the series is pretty stupid.
Dude where did I shit on the rest of the series? I love the MG series. Even the more divisive ones like 4 and 5. Though yes I consider Rising the best.

You're taking a dumb joke way to fucking seriously.

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
Give a talented studio all the time and money they need and I'm pretty sure an MGS3 remake would be the greatest game to ever be made.

Ivanovic

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Bluepoint has been acquired my Microsoft guys. According to that very accurate reddit rumour which got everything spot on. Metal gear solid remake has been cancelled and they're now doing a Banjo Kazooie remaster

Deleted member 31133

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017

So with these rumors and this previous tweet by Bluepoint, is it possible Bluepoint is working a some kind of Konami Collection? or maybe working on multiple Konami Remakes?

My take on this is that it's a huge troll post, or a hint at the PS5 having full BC. The tweet also hints at games not related to Konami such as Resistance and Twisted Metal.

dbcyber

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Some act like we re talking about cod or fifa and not ips that were not relevant for like decade or more (except mgs and even that has questionable future). Their gaming future was bleak with konami. Licensing where sony has gaming rights while konami has other stuff seems more than possible.

Thst reminds of the rumour at the beginning of this gen that MS has secured full Fifa exclusivity. Funny how beginning of every gen the rumours run wild. I just really want the SH one to be true because as you said franchise is not relevant anymore, this is its best shot to go back to the IP's glory days over 15 years ago. Man it's been so long..

Red Ogre

Jul 19, 2019
Under the box, Madrid
Precisely. If Metal Gear ever comes back, it should be through those remakes.

I wouldn't mind something more spin-off-like, though. Maybe a pre-ninja Grey Fox game, or a Liquid Snake game. I have thought about the possibilities of the later quite a bit. I even have some fake art related. :D

vMhvVIl.jpg

Conceptually, to make new Metal Gear may be more difficult that to make new Castlevania or Silent Hill, but there's still room for it.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017

fantasy booking is fun:

Old-school Metal Gear style games - Housemarque
Metal Gear Solid VR(mech game) - Insomniac
MGS1-4 4K/60 Remastered Collection - Bluepoint
Metal Gear Solid Remake - Bluepoint
Metal Gear Solid 6 - Kojima Productions

Kopite

Oct 28, 2017
Can't see Konami selling the IPs but Giving Somy creative control and allowing them to publish a few games seems like free money.

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
After Spider-Man SIE is confident to get license rights to certain IPs and let their own teams/or collab partner working on them.

That's the scenario I can think of is true behind the scenes. Hiphopgamer mentioned this as well in January. SIE won't acquire any IPs but rather acquire some studios and one per each year.

I'm just looking at Japan Studio from a business standpoint. Siren, Puppeteer, Gravity Rush and Knack failed. Gavin Moore's team, Toyama's team and Ape Escape team are failures. They are now approaching established IPs for them.

Gavin's team gets Castlevania and Yamagiwa was promoted to the team as senior producer with his experience from Bloodborne. From Software partnership ended.

Toyama's team gets Silent Hill.

Ape Escape team gets Ape Escape.

One creator after Ueda who achieved BAFTA Awards with his PSP game and sold well in Europe is now getting the piedestal at Japan Studio. When Ueda left in 2012 Kouno took over the worldwide trust from Ueda to make a new IP. His team is the only one who has making noise behind the scenes by trademarking a new title in 2017. Have the opportunity to go to Sweden and hold a speech in 2018 and learning English. Ueda is the only creator at Japan Studio who was in Sweden before. Kouno is getting 10 years from Sony to work on a new IP.

Everyone else is radio silence. Toyama's new IP got cancelled in 2018 as he said at the end of 2018 when things didn't go well as planned. Gavin Moore's new IP pitch has most likely being cancelled too. New IPs takes very long to make nowadays.

I wouldn't be shocked if SIE really was in talks with Universal Entertainment Corp (formely Aruze) to get license rights to Shadow Hearts IP in 2015. The creator's studio, WILDROSE, is now a thing. They were in talks with Marvel and Insomniac in 2014. The year after they go after Shadow Hearts followed up by Konami IPs in coming years.

Thanks for this post. Very informative.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't really have any particular interest in opining on Kojima himself, or on Kojima's relative degree of fitness (or lack thereof) for handling one type of project versus another.

But since the other topic was closed (and we were redirected back to this thread), I wanted to briefly follow-up on the discussion of Death Stranding's production history (which has indeed come up frequently in this thread).

Perhaps Dusk Golem's sources would be able to clarify a bit more, if they were asked to consider and/or account for some the following points:
Andalusia said:
Not sure about the rest of the post but I don't think you source is accurate about this. Since day 1 Kojima was always consistent about the release date. Also don't see how the game could have been soft booted a year and a half before release if Kojima came to E3 2018 with that gameplay reveal trailer that ended up being exactly what DS turned out to be.
Andalusia said:
I don't doubt that the game under went changes at someone point, I just doubt it happened 1 and a half years before release. As I said by that point the E3 2018 trailer was released and the game is exactly what that trailer showed it to be. If you'd told me it happened some point in 2017 the I'd believe it. [...]

As Andalusia notes, the final game is pretty much exactly what the E3 2018 trailer showed it to be.

The E3 2016 (06/13/2016), TGA 2016 (12/01/2016), and TGA 2017 (12/13/2017) trailers are all included, in their entirety, as cutscenes in the final game, without anything more than minor cosmetic changes.

You can see a side-by-side comparison between the final game and the E3 2016 trailer here, the final game/TGA 2016 comparison here, and the final game/TGA 2017 comparison here.

BossAttack said:
[...] I don't doubt DS likely didn't do that well sales wise. But, everything Kojima showed of the game EVERYTHING, made it into the final game. I find it hard to believe he rebooted the whole thing six months before launch over Sony disagreements. [...]
N.47H.4N said:
[...] Kojima showed concepts for the game before it started the production, he had a clear vision of what the game was gonna be, all the trailers had hints of the gameplay concepts and everyone of them since the reveal is in the game, and this guys is saying a soft reboot happened 1 1/2 year before release? In the middle of 2018? [...]

The TGA 2016 and TGA 2017 cutscenes, in particular, reveal a lot of elements that ended up being core parts of both the gameplay and the story.

Kojima emphasized in February 2017: "I don't have a dark mindset in particular. Death Stranding is not a horror game. I just wanted to make something that looks very unique, something you haven't seen before [...] I'm not pursuing a dark aspect to the game."

"I don't have a dark mindset in particular. Death Stranding is not a horror game. I just wanted to make something that looks very unique, something you haven't seen before, something with a more artistic slant to it. I'm not pursuing a dark aspect to the game."

It's still not fully clear how much of Kojima's Konami-era work will carry over into Death Stranding, but one prominent aspect seems to be making the jump: "Humor is a very important aspect for games", Kojima explained. "You play a game for a very long time – Death Stranding is a big game, too – and you put stress on the player and you lead them through peaks and valleys. Humor is an important aspect to make sure the player can enjoy playing across these peaks and valleys.

"So we'll have humor in this game too, but to a degree that it doesn't ruin the world setting. It will be at an appropriate level."

The final game also seems entirely consistent with the pre-production materials that have been released:
We do, however, have evidence that the game ran into at least one major cause for delay:
[...] The "initial plan" was: before Tokyo Olympics (July 2020) / before the year in which Akira is set (2019).

Kojima Productions has had a planned release date since 2016:

We knew about it being behind schedule in 2017, when Kojima talked about the voice actor strike (SAG-AFTRA) which caused delays to voice acting and mocap:
Hideo Kojima said:
The only irregular incident was the SAG-AFTRA strike that started from late October 2016. Due to this, we had to inevitably change the plans to perform 3D scanning, performance capturing, voice recording, and more with the actors. But that has also been resolved in November this year [2017], so we've been able to start various works.
https://comicbook.com/gaming/2017/12/29/hideo-on-death-stranding-/

This is what has happened since late last year [i.e., between late 2018 and early 2019]:
  • The game began localisation (process takes around a year).
  • They hired a new Marketing & Communications guy.
  • The English voice acting was pretty much wrapped up with Norman Reedus doing his last recording sessions.
  • Japanese voice overs being overseen by Kojima.
  • The first 2 hours of the game was shown to Guerrilla Games.
  • Kojima showed the game to non-industry people like Joe Penna and Jordan Vogt-Roberts (wouldn't happen unless game is mature).

And I'll just add that in the end, the quality of the game turned out very high, in the estimation of many influential folks in the industry:

Schopenhauerian good post, it's hard to take that rumour seriously when the performance work was mostly done at that point.
I think I remember fans yammering about 'it's not as dark' when that 2018 trailer hit, so it feels like it came from there rather than from the inside.

Ah interesting, that would make sense. I can imagine there were a lot of folks (including many fans of both P.T. and MGS) who were disappointed with how Death Stranding turned out, but I'm personally glad that Sony gave the team as much freedom as they did.

Seeing what else I can dig up from a web search, on the game's development history:

12 July 2012
...Buried at the bottom of a Eurogamer article discussing Metal Gear Solid 4: Gun's of the Patriots' Trophy patch from July 2012 is a very interesting sentence. "Series boss Hideo Kojima will host a Metal Gear Solid 25th Anniversary Event on 30th August in Tokyo. He plans to talk more about a new project, a game that connects people."

Now [writing in October 2019], going by pre-release discussions and footage, "a game that connects people" describes Death Stranding to a tee, doesn't it? While the idea might not have been fully fleshed out at this point, the amount of time that has gone into realising the title on paper seems to stretch to nearly a decade. This goes a long way to explaining how quickly the Japanese creator's latest experience managed to take shape. He already had the vision fully mapped out, it just had to take a digital form.

15 June 2016
Q: That's interesting. Now, Hideo Kojima. Him being let off the leash sounds equal parts exciting and terrifying…
Jim Ryan: Haha, that's your expression, not mine!

Q: ...are you letting him do his thing with Death Stranding?
Jim Ryan: I think within reason, yes, you have to with somebody like that. If you attempt to constrain him, that is not a recipe for success. He's a really good guy, he did a tour of all our studios and I did one with him in London. He's really energised. This is a new challenge and a big reset for him.

Q: It must be after being on Metal Gear for so long.
Jim Ryan: Yeah, obviously it didn't end well...

3 February 2017
Speaking to Glixel, Kojima explained that "I don't have a dark mindset in particular. Death Stranding is not a horror game. I just wanted to make something that looks very unique, something you haven't seen before, something with a more artistic slant to it. I'm not pursuing a dark aspect to the game."

It's still not fully clear how much of Kojima's Konami-era work will carry over into Death Stranding, but one prominent aspect seems to be making the jump: "Humor is a very important aspect for games", Kojima explained. "You play a game for a very long time – Death Stranding is a big game, too – and you put stress on the player and you lead them through peaks and valleys. Humor is an important aspect to make sure the player can enjoy playing across these peaks and valleys.

"So we'll have humor in this game too, but to a degree that it doesn't ruin the world setting. It will be at an appropriate level."
29 December 2017
Kojima: Kojima Productions was established on December 16, 2015, but this was just registering the company, and there were only 4 members including myself. The next year from January I traveled around the world, beginning to search for technologies starting from game engines, and at the same time, I also started constructing the company organization. Interviewing [people] to gather members, finding an office, designing the institution, and more are all done at the same time in parallel.

Of course, while we're doing that we also made the game design and scenario for Death Stranding, as well as doing various experiments. In June 2016 we showed the very first teaser at E3, and in December 2016 we released the second teaser. And we also decided to pick DECIMA as the game engine, so we also worked to improve it among others.

We ran through 2016 like that, but 2017 was a year filled with more density than 2016. We moved to the current office, and while creating the game we filled the interior with facilities like a meeting room and kitchen; those were finally finished in January 2017. I renewed my feeling and determination to start Kojima Productions in 2017.

The staff list is gradually getting completed, but we had interviews occasionally as we continue to level up and polish the team. We continued the game production process, from developing and improving engines and tools to game designs and presentations without taking a rest. The fact that everything goes in parallel doesn't change ever since the company was established. [...]

Ever since December 2016 we had not published new information, and there ought to be many fans who were getting worried or even imagining many things, but please rest assured. Currently, we have surpassed the experiment phase, and by entering the next step, we're feeling the response to the new gameplay.

In the schedule of the overall gaming industry, normally it would take about 3 to 5 years to develop a game with everything already prepared beforehand: organization, human resources, game system, engine, tools, etc. But we prepared them while producing the game in parallel. While doing that, we're proceeding smoothly towards the schedule we have decided on. Everyone at our partner [company] SIE also said: "We've never seen [someone] making [a game] with a pace as fast as this."

The only irregular incident was the SAG-AFTRA strike that started from late October 2016. Due to this, we had to inevitably change the plans to perform 3D scanning, performance capturing, voice recording, and more with the actors. But that has also been resolved in November this year, so we've been able to start various works.

We're able to unveil parts of these accomplishments in 2017 with a new video at The Game Awards in December.
In 2018, I'm going to make announcements that will surprise everyone even further [the E3 Trailer was in June 2018]. Please look forward to it.

24 September 2018
When asked about the current development status of Death Stranding, Kojima said that "at the moment we're in the phase where I'm holding the controller the whole day, embedding new elements while playing the game."

Kojima indicated that this means development has surpassed the phase where he looks at what individual staff members are doing, and is now looking at how the project is coming together as a whole.

"Development is going well," he said. "It's a completely new game. Things are going according to plan, but there's one thing. Due to the videogame voice actor strike by (labor union) SAG-AFTRA that started in 2016 and lasted a year, I couldn't record with Norman (Reedus) and Mads (Mikkelsen) during that period. So there are some parts we are still recording."
29 December 2019
...Even Spielberg's movies easily scare me. When you put a sci-fi essence in there, it looks like horror, fantasy and spiritualism but when you proceed in the game it's more about the technology. So like the cuffs or you know, all these gadget things... [Art Director] Yoji [Shinkawa] is really good at designing robotics and all these mechanisms. I wanted to implement that, so that the world's knowledge kind of solves this mystery of Death Stranding. That makes it easier for people who are scared of the horror parts. I heard that Spielberg always makes his films sci-fi because he's really scared of horror... I couldn't properly test P.T. because it was so scary...

Last edited:

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
So that gives you permission to call peoples opinion who do like it more "garbage"? You're being ridiculous. It's also amusing that you're using sales and reviewer opinions to try and make an argument against peoples opinions on a game.

Maybe you missed the first half of the conversation, but someone replied with their opinion being "objective truth". If you want to argue anything objectively, you need some substance to attach to those claims, hence, review scores, sales numbers, etc.

I agree calling someone's opinion "garbage" is pretty crass, but it's equally absurd to state that your opinion is objective fact.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
HA! The idea is to find a better song not a worse one. You fail. Go home.
You're whole hateboner fot Rising thing was cute till that one time you insulted fans because they wanted a sequel. Now anytime you pull it I just think you're an asshole.

Maybe you missed the first half of the conversation, but someone replied with their opinion being "objective truth". If you want to argue anything objectively, you need some substance to attach to those claims, hence, review scores, sales numbers, etc.

I agree calling someone's opinion "garbage" is pretty crass, but it's equally absurd to state that your opinion is objective fact.
I don't know if anyone else said that but I was pretty clearly joking.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know about remakes beyond the MSX games honestly.

I know Sony has probably been fucking begging Konami to remake MGS1 (again) and that's probably the first thing they'd do if they got Metal Gear. I'd be fine with it if the gameplay was upgraded to be like MGSV (go back and look at MGS1's gameplay, it's basically a 2.5D game).

Honestly the remake/remaster I'd really want would be a new version of MGS3 that upgraded the controls but kept everything else the same, and maybe redid all the graphics like the Colossus, Crash, and Halo Anniversary remakes. MGS3 still has possibly my favorite campaign in the series and would hold up nicely if the controls weren't so stuck in the old Metal Gear style.

Cat_o_Nine

Dec 12, 2017
USA
Death Stranding was my GOTY for 2019 and I only didn't pre-order it because it was such a gargantuan game that needed better incentives to pre-order it.

Holy shit that game was amazing though.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
is it still possible that Bluepoint is doing MGS1 remake?

I never played PT but it would be cool if Kojima could go back to it.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
They probably will do a ps5 then late pc release for Konami. Guessing it will be Decima engine also...

Cyborg

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I hope we will get a new MGS that is focused of story like 1,2 and 3. Throw away openworld and replaying same missions over and over. Just give me that good old MGS.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
If the Castlevania rumor is true, what would this mean for the chances of a Castlevania Collection 2? I've already got Requiem and the first Collection, but I NEED those GBA and DS games on modern consoles.
If Sony bought the CV IP to do a reboot you'll most likely never see those GBA/DS games again. Both because Sony's unlikely to emulate old Nintendo platforms and also because Sony is hot trash in general when it comes to legacy releases.

If Konami owns it then there's at least a chance you'll see more future retro collections.

Status
Not open for further replies.