• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Will the game show in August after being a bust in June?

• Yes

Votes: 653 36.3%
  • No

Votes: 1,147 63.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't yet played the Siren series but this seems like it would be a really weird decision on their part if what you're speculating ends up being true. An episodic format that drip-feeds new chunks of content over time would kind of run counter to speculation that Sony is wanting this game to be a system seller for the PS5. Episodic formats just aren't that popular enough with players to justify it.

It also seems like a format that would be really incompatible with Silent Hill as a franchise. Imagine Silent Hill 2 ending at the hospital elevator sequence with Maria and a large 'to be continued' text appearing on screen. Dunno, treating the franchise like a Netflix series would feel really out of place.

I hope this doesn't turn out to be true.
We won't know until we know, I literally know nothing about what the game is as a game outside of it being a soft reboot and made so it could easily be someone's first Silent Hill game. I don't know if Konami stuck to their soft reboot/episodic idea past 2018 or if it never went forward as that.

I have thought about what it being revealed so soon may mean though. The game has only been in the works for a year and a half at this point, so a reveal at this point makes me think of three possibilities:

1. Its a bigger budget and scope game they're just announcing early to push PS5s even if the game is over a year away from launch.

2. Maybe its relatively faithful to the originals, like maybe its a modern day take on the Silent Hill 2/3/4 style (like it plays like them just with modern graphics), that would take less time to make than a Silent Hill game trying to be modern and as most of these games were done in about two years that might allign with this.

3. Maybe its a smaller release format, like either some shorter game or something like an episodic release format.

I will say this, Siren: Blood Curse works surprisingly well with the format, so while not what I'm personally hoping for ideally, i wouldn't be against it with this team either. Blood Curse tells a surprisingly strange and intense horror experience between its 12 episodes and accomplishes a lot. But we'll see when we see.

manuvlad

Mar 26, 2019
I don't know if this was already posted.

Some interesting ideas. Some of them remind me of Psyco Mantis boss fight in Metal Gear Solid (using the vibration on the DualShock to make you believe that Psyco Mantis was moving it using his brain for example). Silent Hills on PS5 produced by Kojima would be a huge hit for Sony for sure.

Edit: Damn! I was beaten by seconds :)

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
I don't know if this was already posted.

Some interesting ideas. Some of them remind me of Psyco Mantis boss fight in Metal Gear Solid (using the vibration on the DualShock to make you believe that Psyco Mantis was moving it using his brain for example). Silent Hills on PS5 produced by Kojima would be a huge hit for Sony for sure.

Edit: Damn! I was beaten by seconds :)

Yes i did beat you. :p

Also I hoped that Kojima would use DS4 features in PT.
Sadly he only used the mic for the last puzzle.
Death Stranding didn't sue the DS4 features that much either.
I hope Silent Hills will use all the features from DS and even the PS Camera and why not breaking 4th wall like he did before using PS5 OS features too.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
Yes i did beat you. :p

Also I hoped that Kojima woudl use DS4 features in PT.
Sadly he only used the mic for the last puzzle.
Death stranding didn't sue the DS4 features that much either.
I hope Silent Hills will use all the features from DS and even the PS Camera and why not breaking 4th wall like he did before using PS5 OS features too.

It's pretty accepted at this point that Silent Hills isn't happening. Even the insiders saying it was true have backed off on it

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
Never say never ! XD

I mean I personally never believed there was any real possibility it was true even before those people backed off that, so I threw the never towel in quite some time ago. What is it about this video that makes you think something different? Seems she's talking about stuff she had a long time ago, I mean 4 years ago was 2016. At that point, I think it goes without saying there's no chance there was anything happening then lol.

RadioHeadAche

Oct 26, 2017
Not sure what you mean by bag issue, but RadioHeadAche is right, at a couple points you just turn around and empty a clip of handgun ammo into PH and he slows right down. It trivializes that pursuit. Only thing you have to watch out for is Maria getting in the way if you shooting.

The boat took me a couple practice tries, but I got the hang of it pretty quickly. To be perfectly honest, I didn't find the 10 star run that hard. I put it off for years, I never really was sure if I'd ever attempt it, but you know the game like the back of your hand by the time you have to attempt it so it wasn't bad at all. I got the 10 Stars on my first attempt, here are my stats from the run:
qYQLfCf.jpg
Where did you make your second save? Also, those enemies defeated are pretty close. Were you keeping track?

dpanim

Oct 27, 2017
Where did you make your second save? Also, those enemies defeated are pretty close. Were you keeping track?
My second save was before Abstract Daddy. Made the most sense to me because the Abstract Daddy-Eddie-Boat run can prove to be quite difficult for people. Plus if you get to the end with over 500 damage, saving before AD gives you another opportunity to alleviate that damage by getting through it unscathed. If you save after AD or Eddie, get to the end and find that you're over 500, you might be out of luck.

Yeah I was keeping track of my kills, just a simple tick chart for Fighting/Shooting.

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
Started to watch but then she said 3-4 years ago and I tuned out. What's the tl;dr? Because if it's what I think it is, lol. The Billion Dollar Silent Hills
It's about ideas they were floating around for the series she heard a while back during a convention(probably from when Kojima was involved since this sound very Kojima), the game would mess around with you IRL by sending you messages from characters in the game, maybe change lighting in your house(smart house set up obviously), etc... Stuff that basically require you to sign an agreement before playing the game lol.

fanboy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Slovakia
Not really, Konami have directly lied in PR before and the attitude of this in Eastern companiea is different (or Western branches of Eastern companies). Being a RE nerd, I remember after RE2 came out Capcom talking like RE3 REmake wasn't a thing.

You're missing a piece here but its not your fault. If all true, the Silent Hill soft reboot by Japan Studios started dev in late 2018/early 2019. This has nothing to do with Kojima or Silent Hills. In late 2019/early 2020 there was an effort to make Silent Hills a thing again with Kojima, but it looks like things won't work out.

Things wont work out because relationships between Kojima and Konami or bcs of something else you cant tell?

Henrik

Jan 3, 2018
Things wont work out because relationships between Kojima and Konami or bcs of something else you cant tell?
This is more about Hayakawa and Kojima than Konami and Kojima. Hayakawa wanted Solid Snake in one of his mobile games and Kojima refused. When Hayakawa's game was booming Kojima got replaced by him in the games division. That's why you still see PES but it has turned into a e-sports game. Metal Gear Survive had in-game microtransactions. Gambling. Hiroyuki Owaku's talent being wasted on analytics like Takashi Mizutani's talent was mismanaged on producer and project management for games that are below his standards (Puppeteer, The Last Guardian) when his experience is real-time demo director (cinematic director) or even in the pioneering days of 3D as polygon demo director and 3DCG director of the MGS trilogy and ZOE2. Storyboard artist. Scenery modeling. We have to stand current mediocre artists at Japan Studio on these positions on PS4. But meager budgets means below average staff.

The other head of pachinko, arcades and amusement division will get another post by upcoming Konami's shareholders meeting in June. The old heads for decades will resign.

It doesn't look good for Konami, it's for the best to give all their console talents to a studio that has turned around behind the scenes to get the new technology running and well prepared for next gen. Shuhei Yoshida even claimed in 2018 around TGS they have people now at Japan Studio who wants to make AAA games.

Sony has better ties with Konami's staff than they have with other companies. And what teared apart Kojima Productions was not because of Konami, but Kojima himself. Hayakawa was not even at the company in the early 2000's. Kojima's ego can destroy a whole allstar team.

Apr 27, 2018
This is more about Hayakawa and Kojima than Konami and Kojima. Hayakawa wanted Solid Snake in one of his mobile games and Kojima refused. When Hayakawa's game was booming Kojima got replaced by him in the games division. That's why you still see PES but it has turned into a e-sports game. Metal Gear Survive had in-game microtransactions. Gambling. Hiroyuki Owaku's talent being wasted on analytics like Takashi Mizutani's talent was mismanaged on producer and project management for games that are below his standards (Puppeteer, The Last Guardian) when his experience is real-time demo director (cinematic director) or even in the pioneering days of 3D as polygon demo director and 3DCG director of the MGS trilogy and ZOE2. Storyboard artist. Scenery modeling. We have to stand current mediocre artists at Japan Studio on these positions on PS4. But meager budgets means below average staff.

The other head of pachinko, arcades and amusement division will get another post by upcoming Konami's shareholders meeting in June. The old heads for decades will resign.

It doesn't look good for Konami, it's for the best to give all their console talents to a studio that has turned around behind the scenes to get the new technology running and well prepared for next gen. Shuhei Yoshida even claimed in 2018 around TGS they have people now at Japan Studio who wants to make AAA games.

Sony has better ties with Konami's staff than they have with other companies. And what teared apart Kojima Productions was not because of Konami, but Kojima himself. Hayakawa was not even at the company in the early 2000's. Kojima's ego can destroy a whole allstar team.
Do you have a source for this to back this up, or is this your theory to what happened/opinion?

addik

Oct 28, 2017
Going back to the rumor that Konami initially wanted an episodic format for Silent Hill, I'm oddly okay with that? They can truly do something great things through episodic storytelling, but only if they were able to get a writer who understands that format.

If they also broke exploration in to parts, it may not have sat well with me to be honest. So in some ways, I'm glad we're expecting something more traditional this time, for better or for worse.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Man. I'm playing through Silent Hill 2 via the enhanced edition Mod... and I honestly forgot how damn oppressive this game is. I just got to otherworld hospital and I had to put it down. I've only been able to play in like 45-60 minute chunks. Just everything about it is so off kilter and and claustrophobic. Even when you are in open areas. This game is truly genius but damn I have to crawl baby steps through it.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
Do you have a source for this to back this up, or is this your theory to what happened/opinion?

Anytime Henrik says something that isn't about like where a former dev is located and working now with a link to the information, it's pretty much all speculation. He's not an insider or whatever. He's just unclear in how he presents his posts

Status
Not open for further replies.