• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017
Isn't this a Z game or am I getting mixed up?

The one that was connected to Gazprom?

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2018
User Banned (1 Month): Breaking site-wide staff post regarding advocation for banning content, long history of various infractions. Post reverted for context.
Alright can we ban this fucking game already?

taco543

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Fresno CA
futurama-philip-j-fry.gif

Nkcell

Jun 24, 2020
What is the context of this image? There are a lot of scenarios where this is completely unacceptable and it's unfortunately probably one of those, but is this meant to convey that a character/organization itself is racist in the game?

Bulerias

Oct 26, 2017
Minneapolis, MN
As someone of Ukrainian heritage (both parents born there, I was born in the US) — why the fuck is this game getting a green light here with its Soviet military aesthetic, its release date falling way too close to the first anniversary of the war, and when the developers have made it known that they are both siding the conflict?

Editing to clarify that this isn't meant as meta commentary, I just find it interesting that I haven't read anything about the above on this forum, when it was a cursory Google search away.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jawbreaker

Jawbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
What is the context of this image? There are a lot of scenarios where this is completely unacceptable and it's unfortunately probably one of those, but is this meant to convey that a character/organization itself is racist in the game?

From what I understand, it's a scene from an old cartoon you can watch on the in-game television. Think of it like those old Looney Tunes episodes that had racist caricatures. This is from an old Russian cartoon.

Shemhazai

Aug 13, 2020
From what I understand, it's a scene from an old cartoon you can watch on the in-game television. Think of it like those old Looney Tunes episodes that had racist caricatures. This is from an old Russian cartoon.
As in, a real life cartoon that existed? Or one created specifically for the game?
edit: Already answered elsewhere.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
As someone of Ukrainian heritage (both parents born there, I was born in the US) — why the fuck is this game getting a green light here with its Soviet military aesthetic, its release date falling way too close to the first anniversary of the war, and when the developers have made it known that they are both siding the conflict?

Oh shit. I am not someone who has followed this game at all and didn't even know about it until maybe 2 weeks ago, but this is serious OOF vibes.

Feb 15, 2023
Ugh. Of course there is. There's no excuse not editing that out. Regardless if it's old. Idiots. What's Microsoft's process for approving content?

It's surprising how in E Europe this stuff is still incredibly prevalent. Too often I go to visit family in Poland, they flick on the TV and someone's doing blackface on a singing contest.

Royce

Oct 27, 2017
Europe

Indeed. And they're avoiding sanctions. Sadly people want their shiny new game no matter what is involved behind the scenes.

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017
They ban that other game that shall not be named but not this.... yeah o... k

Yeah, don't get me wrong, I support banning that game. But this one directly supports genocide. There's not even a comparison to be made.

I was confused and shocked enough to see people happily discussing it in an OT that I had to question if I was getting the title mixed up.

ragolliangatan

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 31, 2019
not touching this game in any form ( my grandfather is Ukrainian) - from the shady financing of the game to the Soviet imagery and embarrasing as fuck fridge in the game it's just a series of clusterfucks.

I'm honestly not surprised at this latest find.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
Did no one here play Bioshock Infinite? I was shocked when I saw that the first time too but I realized it was to set the time period of the game. The history of belittling blacks in cartoons is a harsh one. From America to Japan.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL

Koklusz

Oct 27, 2017
It's surprising how in E Europe this stuff is still incredibly prevalent. Too often I go to visit family in Poland, they flick on the TV and someone's doing blackface on a singing contest.
That's Eastern Europe for you, lots of things you can see/hear in mainstream tv or radio would give Tucker Carlson a pause.
This was posted in a different thread. It's the dialogue that is voice acted. It's NSFW if you can't listen to it now.
Matthew Broderick GIF

dskzero

Oct 30, 2019
This is from a super old Soviet cartoon "Nu Pogodi", all 22 episodes of which are in the game

This picture appears in one of the episodes (it takes place in a museum) for 0.5 seconds, as you can see here at 5:50

It's impressive how much stuff is in the world I have no idea it exists.

I imagine they didn't check them all or just didn't care to edit this.

Jamesac68

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder how many reviews ignored this (and whatever the fuck that fridge is)

"Didn't see", you mean. Review codes showed up Tuesday for a game to be reviewed the following Monday. I appreciated the cartoons on the break-room tv but didn't watch them, because who's got time? I did love the animations for the various item upgrades, though.

As for the fridge, I took it at face-value in-game that it's supposed to be horrific/obnoxious, a batshit crazy AI using cheesy sex-talk to lure in people and kill them. Because that's what it is. If the Major hadn't been annoyed by it, playing along and flirting back or something equally cringe-inducing, I'd have had a lot of issues with the fridge, but it's presented as being wrong on all sorts of levels.

Status
Not open for further replies.