• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RedVejigante

Aug 18, 2018
So you have Harley Quinn, a character created specifically for the Batman: The Animated Series, who became so popular that she ultimately jumped mediums and was eventually adapted into the comics themselves. And deservedly so, as she's an interesting, iconic villain/anti-hero. But hell, even that nerd, the Condiment King, eventually made his way into mainstream comics continuity.

But then you have the other Batman animated series; Batman: The Brave and the Bold. And with it, it's own original super-villan creation; the Music Meister. A music themed criminal megalomaniac with a unique look and gimmick, which would fit in just as easily with the modern rogues gallery as he would in Batman '66. For God's sake, he even adopts a Kirby-inspired costume for his final attempts at global domination...

And yet, nothing as far as crossover into the larger comics continuity. So here is a place to discuss this slight against one of the greatest pieces of Bat-Media to exist outside the brain of Bruce Timm, and, also, to generally discuss how amazing Brave and the Bold actually was.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How do you make a dude whose power is hypnotic singing work in a soundless medium

(Brave & the Bold is very very very very good and top tier among DC's animation output, and I am including the DCAU in that)

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
Huh, I didn't know he was an original character. The Justice Guild episode of Justice League had a similar villain and I thought that's where they got him from.

OP
OP
RedVejigante

RedVejigante

Aug 18, 2018
How do you make a dude whose power is hypnotic singing work in a soundless medium

His gag only really works with sound
I get that, although I still believe that strong writers, such as Alan Moore, have on some level been able to incorporate musical elements into the soundless medium of comics. And hell, they even managed to give Nextwave a supplemental theme song!

But still, I get the problems of adapting the character, which is why I say that this is also secretly a place to talk about how awesome The Brave and the Bold was.

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
Red Tornado getting Batman a Christmas gift that's a mug saying "World's Greatest Detective" is one of my favorite small gags ever

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

(Brave & the Bold is very very very very good and top tier among DC's animation output, and I am including the DCAU in that)
there have been a number of characters that does that. it's been the plot of some major stories, usually involving the Anti-life Equation

Roliq

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Sep 23, 2018
I liked how his appearance in the Arrowverse was so random that no one knows here he is actually from, being essentially a reality warper from somewhere

KingWillance

Oct 25, 2017
Brave and the Bold is up there with my favorite Batman interpretations and I will always be grateful for the time we got with it. I would have also happily taken an entire series with its Superman.

Son of Liberty

Production
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
California
I really enjoyed that villain and episode of Brave and the Bold.
I'm wondering if the upcoming season of Harley Quinn will have Music Meister in it?
I heard they plan on making a musical episode.

Crashman

Oct 27, 2017
It always felt weird that the Justice League cartoon more or less had a weird pseudo version of him years before Brave and the Bold, but in an alternate bombed out 50s universe.

Anyways, as others have said, he really doesn't work as well in comics due to lack of sound.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
I didn't even know he was original, it just seemed like such a likely character to exist somewhere in the wacky Batman continuity.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I imagine he'll cross over eventually. A bunch of DCAU stuff got brought back recently because the writers grew up with it. I'm sure at some point someone who grew up with BATB will bring him into comics or a new cartoon.

Dec 30, 2020
He did pop up in Supergirl, and apparently he was going to be a boss in a Batman game but plans were scrapped.

He only really works in an audio medium, tv, movie, game, etc.

Otherwise he's Sheetmusic Meister.

And god bless Brave and the Bold for having Egghead and King Tut pop up in the musical numbers. Really want Egghead to appear in an Asylum game but still be 60's Egghead.

NihonTiger

Oct 25, 2017
In addition to the above responses, probably because Neil Patrick Harris' schedule has been busy for a bit, which is why we haven't seen him in the physical space in a while.