• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 28, 2017
This movie was not as terrible as I was lead to believe. It might be superfluous in the grand scheme of the over Star Wars narrative but it was better than at least 4-5 other movies in the franchise. I enjoyed it quite a bit. In retrospect it would have made helluva Disney + show.

Is this the last "A Star Wars Story" movie? Is that tagline dead?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I thought it was fine. It's not a GREAT movie, but it was a fun stupid film to watch on a Saturday morning, and watching Emilia Clarke reference a fucking PS1 Star Wars fighting game felt like an inside joke that was crafted exclusively for me.

Some Star Wars fans take everything too fucking seriously.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I never understood all the hate this movie got. I think the script and the performances are all actually very good, with the surprising exception of Glover's Lando which I think is pretty weak.

But yeah. It's in my top 3 of all Star Wars movies: Return of the Jedi, The Force Awakens, and Solo

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
I think it would've been better if it wasn't Star Wars or not about Han. It had decent elements but felt too much like "remember this?!" but not in a fun way. There is a good movie in there, shame they weren't able to bring it out.

I also did not feel the lead was right for the role so that took me out of it.

Cool vehicles though and Enfys Nest was sweet.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I liked the movie fine but if my favorite part is how they set it up for a sequel that will never come (the ending), then it can't be that great, can't it?

I do hope they somehow get Emilia in LANDO and follow up on some of that storyline from SOLO. would be pretty rad

Blackpuppy

Oct 28, 2017
I thought it was a C when I first saw it in theaters and then moved up to a B- upon rewatches. It has issues (too many origin story tropes) but it's enjoyable.

The choices made in cinematography were a bad match for the material imo.

Cross-Section

Oct 27, 2017
My deep dark Star Wars secret is that I actually prefer Solo to Rogue One

Better music, acting, writing... plus I'll always prefer a focus on the underworld to Empire vs. Rebels yet again

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
It's a fun, but forgettable movie. I think it would have been better had the focus been on Lando or Harrelson's character with Han in the supporting role.

Jamesways

Oct 28, 2017
Minneapolis
I really liked it. And Rogue One, but I like the old Galactic Empire SW timeline the best.

And I'd love more of these smaller stories. Flesh out the lore and universe more, I'll all for it.

egg

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
It's not a GREAT movie, but it didn't need to be either. Never understood the hate it got and it's a pretty solid adventure flick.
I've probably seen Solo more than any of the others in the sequel trilogy.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
It's not a terrible film but you can kinda feel how unnecessary it is and how off it is seeing a young Han played by an actor who really didn't nail those nuances. It's a 7.5/10 movie released during a time when Disney was firing on all cylinders

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
It's a fun movie that basically already got burned down in lot of peoples minds before they saw it.

It sits behind TFA, TLJ and RO for me in the Disney era. The screenplay feels a bit to fragmentaric, feeling more like some stitched together episodes from a miniseries than a movie. Story was lacking on a character level too for me. Solo's arc is pretty flat, and for a story supposedly showing how he becomes who he is, that's a major flaw. (And that's not going into the fact he does a selfless thing at the end, giving up the McGuffin fuel to Enfys Nest, so he isn't even the Han yet we meet in ANH)

It also tried to hard to mimick a MCU-style storytelling, impleying even bigger connections to the broader universe than solely the main character, and focussing a bit too much on it in the climax (I hated Maul appearing. Ment fuck all for the story and it's characters. Only there as sequel/universe bait, confusing the majority of the audience that isn't aware of the broader SW lore in the process too). The Mandalorian suffers from the same issue too, which I personally find a bit worrying, because this shit often stands in the way of compelling storytelling.

May 25, 2019
London
It's not a terrible film, I think the overall idea of it is fine, but I really hate how every notable part of Han's character occurs within like a two week window of time. You didn't need the Falcon and Chewie and the Kessel Run all shoved in like that

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, one of the few Disney Star Wars movies I've actually liked. It's a shame it's so muddy, otherwise it's an enjoyable adventure film that felt way less reliant on "hey it's that thing you like" than the others (though still leaning on it quite a bit).

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I never understood this complaint. People write all sorts of stories for all sorts of reasons, and "necessity" doesn't need to be that reason.
I meant as in it didn't really provide a super interesting new look at the characters. Despite many opportunities to do so given the premise. You could even see it in the advertising. A trailer stinger ending on "oh no Chewie's in quite a pickle will he make it out?!" Was like, a big why moment. A shame because the intro is so unique compared to other SW films.

butalala

Nov 24, 2017
Yeah, they should have cut out at least half of the Han Solo secret origins stuff and it would have been a lot better. Maybe even make a different character the protagonist. Alden Ehrenreich was actually pretty good in the role, and I think there would have been less backlash if he'd been a supporting character or part of an ensemble.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
It's a fun movie but they shouldn't have focused on Han Solo. I think we already got everything we needed to know of Han's story from the movies. We don't need to know the origin of his last name, how he and Chewie met, or fix the Kessell Run being in a unit of distance vs. time. Half the magic was not knowing which I think modern audiences don't get anymore. It was too obsessed with explaining all the mystery away when it should've been just telling a great story with some fun characters.

You can still make a good story with young Han Solo but I think it needed a different framing because when Han is the hero/protagonist he basically is already a good guy doing good things which is not his arc in the OT. He's not the guy who would shoot Greedo dead in a bar in Solo.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
I meant as in it didn't really provide a super interesting new look at the characters. Despite many opportunities to do so given the premise. You could even see it in the advertising. A trailer stinger ending on "oh no Chewie's in quite a pickle will he make it out?!" Was like, a big why moment. A shame because the intro is so unique compared to other SW films.
Sure, but while I don't agree about it being not "interesting", at least now I think we're having a conversation about your real complaint with the film, which is just that you didn't think it was all that good. Not that there is some dichotomy of "necessary" and "unnecessary" films and that "unnecessary" films shouldn't get made or anything

May 15, 2018
Denmark
I enjoyed it. But as many of you say, I didn't like its attempts to tie everything into existing starwars stuff. A more lowkey story with less origin story - how Han met Chewie, Lando and got the Millenium Falcon would have more than enough origin story for much sake. There's no need to involve the rebellion, siths, robot rebellions and kessel run.
You can still make a good story with young Han Solo but I think it needed a different framing because when Han is the hero/protagonist he basically is already a good guy doing good things which is not his arc in the OT. He's not the guy who would shoot Greedo dead in a bar in Solo.
And that.

MagicHobo

Oct 27, 2017
Once people get over the dumb prequel/origin liners, which are admittedly egregious but not crucial to the story, and move away from the baggage leading up to it (poor discourse in the fandom, an uninteresting prequel idea that nobody wants, etc) it's actually a really fun film. I think there should be more small, relatively inessential, little adventures like this. Don't be afraid to make some pulpy diversions.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
It's a good movie with fantastic cinematography and production design. The crimson dawn potential future plot lines are really interesting and I would kill for a Q'ira Disney+ show.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
When they felt they needed to give us an origin story for the name "Solo" I checked out, honestly.

Fuck this movie and everything it represents.

VonGreckler

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I love it.

Star Wars train heist was all they needed to say to get me in the theater, but I really enjoyed it all the way through. Did cringe at the naming bit with the Imperial Recruiter but that was a quick moment fortunately.

Solid 8/10 for me

Viewt

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Solo is a totally fun, if disposable, jaunt in the SW universe. I've watched it a handful of times and it's a great option for a lazy Sunday when you're bored.

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
I thought it was good.
It would have possibly been better without the baggage and association with Star Wars.

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
Not a fan personally. I feel like I wouldn't have missed out on anything in terms of the Star Wars lore and universe if I skipped this one.

When they felt they needed to give us an origin story for the name "Solo" I checked out, honestly.

This ^

This movie actually cheapened the character of Han Solo for me.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Not a fan personally. I feel like I wouldn't have missed out on anything in terms of the Star Wars lore and universe if I skipped this one.

I honestly felt that way about Rogue One. Nothng that happened in that movie felt like it was a story that needed to be told, and for a story where you basically know going in that everyone is gonna die, they really didn't try at all to make you care about any of the characters except maybe Chirrut and Baze.

And to be honest, the only reason I even remember their names was because I was like 'thanks, Lucasfilm, for showing a gay couple in Star Wars and then never acknowledging the fact that they're a couple'. The best character relationship in a movie full of half-characters and underbaked relationships isn't a high bar.

Chemo

Oct 28, 2017
Really enjoyed Solo. I like Rogue One and Solo better than any of the sequel trilogy films, personally.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
the only complain people have about this movie is how han received his last name. and thats it.

when pointing out how "bad" it is, that's everything they will say.

or that lando wanted to fuck his doid or something.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
I liked the lower stakes story and i'm not enough of a star wars fan to care about things like dice and a name etc

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
committed an unforgivable cinema sin in my eyes: An end credit/ending that is never going to be resolved.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
Thandie Newton got killed too soon. Plus i hated when Glover was slipping in to a bad Billy Dee impersonation.

Doran

Jun 9, 2018
I prefer this and Rogue One to the other 3 new movies tbh. Felt right at home with the original 3.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Solo legitimately has some very nice touches. Showing us how the Empire handled worlds that didn't tow the line, giving us a look at how the criminal underworld survived Imperial rule... In terms of world building it was fantastic. I loved Donald Glover, Woody Harrelson and Paul Bettany in the movie too. They were each great casting.

New002

Oct 25, 2017
When it was first announced I was like...why? Why does this exist?

Once I saw it though I very much enjoyed it and would have loved a sequel.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
The guy who played Solo was great, forgot his name.

His Solo doesn't remind me of Ford, acting & behaviour wise, but enjoyable.

It's just the overall movie was meh/average & too long for me.

🤷

breander

Oct 27, 2017
If they just ripped out the "Solo" parts of the movie and replaced him with a new original character it would honestly be a pretty good movie.

Tomasoares

Oct 28, 2017
It's a fun movie, kinda unecessary, but still better than anything from the prequel era or TROS.

BFIB

Oct 25, 2017

Yup. Also the Kessel run is ridiculous in it's explanation too. This movie adds no value to the franchise, and makes Han's decision to come help Luke in ANH even worse as his whole arc in ANH is only looking out for himself and realizing his friends matter and taking a stand against the Empire, but in Solo he already makes this decision.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
It's like a two-hour version of the prologue in Last Crusade, warts and all. The music is fantastic.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Sure, but while I don't agree about it being not "interesting", at least now I think we're having a conversation about your real complaint with the film, which is just that you didn't think it was all that good. Not that there is some dichotomy of "necessary" and "unnecessary" films and that "unnecessary" films shouldn't get made or anything
It seems more like you're having a conversation where you purposefully misconstrued someone in a pedantic manner so you can shadowbox with people not in the conversation. You can think a movie is fun but not add anything substantial to the wider mythos which is something you might consider in a long running series, hence "unnecessary." It is a leap to see their posts and assume they mean "this movie shouldnt have gotten made"