• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tryxx

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I absolutely love my ps5, but holy shit for some reason media apps absolutely blow on their consoles. HBO max crashes at least 2 times during a movie and Netflix is just as bad. Why do these apps just never work well on PlayStation consoles I had the same issue on my ps4 but absolutely no problems on my Xbox.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Some native PS5 apps would be nice, both HBO and Disney are just running the PS4 apps. And neither one supports anything over 1080p and don't have HDR.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How is it even possible that HBO Max and Disney+ don't support 4K playback or HDR on PS5?

What a garbage UI experience on this console.

Desma

Oct 27, 2017
Pls Media Server support on ps5. Can't believe it doesn't have it yet

Oct 25, 2017
Never really had a problem with any of the apps (Aside from them not being native) except for HBO Max. That app is straigh up dogshit, but apparently it's pretty trash regardless of what device you use, so it's more of an HBO issue than a Sony one.

CubeApple76

Jan 20, 2021
The truth is with the standardization of Smart TVs and dedicated media streaming devices I expect that the data reflects that less and less people use the media features on gaming consoles, and as such is not a priority for Sony. I used to use my Xbone for all my media last gen, but since I upgraded to a 4K TV for this gen, since it has built in Roku, I just use that instead, since it's more convenient with the single remote

logash

Oct 27, 2017
Have been using HBO Max for a while now and I've had 0 issues. Most versions of that app don't include HDR or 4k. I haven't had any crashes either. I read somewhere that a new version of the app is being worked on and playstation users are gonna be amongst the first to get it so hoping for 4k HDR support.

As for Disney, it does have that HDR issue. It works if you turn on "always on" HDR but that's bullshit. I shouldn't have to manually turn on HDR for it to work. It worked perfectly on my PS4 so it's really lame that it doesn't work here.

The only other app I have serious issues with is Funimation. No anime on Funimation support HDR but the app continues to display in HDR when "On when supported" it used. It's annoying.

YouTube and Netflix work perfectly fine beyond the YouTube app not turning HDR on when watching HDR videos but there are so few of those one YouTube that it doesn't affect me. Most issues seems to stem from the fact that Sony thought it was a good idea to have HDR on all the time.

Edit: looks like HBO supports 4k on Xbox.

Last edited:

Thug Larz

Designer @ Bungie
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Pretty sure Apple, Prime, Netflix, and HBO Max apps all support 4K on PS5. I could be wrong, yet I've watched plenty of higher than 1080p content through them.

At least I notice the resolution difference between those apps and Disney +, for example.

Also, unsure what's happening with your apps crashing. I watch all my streaming through my PS5 apps, and never get crashes. Could it be your console?

LazyPanda

Oct 30, 2017
The truth is with the standardization of Smart TVs and dedicated media streaming devices I expect that the data reflects that less and less people use the media features on gaming consoles, and as such is not a priority for Sony. I used to use my Xbone for all my media last gen, but since I upgraded to a 4K TV for this gen, since it has built in Roku, I just use that instead, since it's more convenient with the single remote
Yeah for sure. Smart TVs these days are a far cry from what they used to be in regards to convenience and performance, barring some specific woes with certain models and apps here and there.

logash

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty sure Apple, Prime, Netflix, and HBO Max apps all support 4K on PS5. I could be wrong, yet I've watched plenty of higher than 1080p content through them.

At least I notice the resolution difference between those apps and Disney +, for example.

Also, unsure what's happening with your apps crashing. I watch all my streaming through my PS5 apps, and never get crashes. Could it be your console?
HBO Max doesn't support 4k on PS5 but all the other ones you mentioned do.

And same, I watch pretty much everything on my PS5 and I've had 0 crashes. If this was a wide spread issue than you'd certainly hear people complaining about it. Thinking it must be OPs PS5.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Have been using HBO Max for a while now and I've had 0 issues. Most versions of that app don't include HDR or 4k. I haven't had any crashes either. I read somewhere that a new version of the app is being worked on and playstation users are gonna be amongst the first to get it so hoping for 4k HDR support.

As for Disney, it does have that HDR issue. It works if you turn on "always on" HDR but that's bullshit. I shouldn't have to manually turn on HDR for it to work. It worked perfectly on my PS4 so it's really lame that it doesn't work here.

The only other app I have serious issues with is Funimation. No anime on Funimation support HDR but the app continues to display in HDR when "On when supported" it used. It's annoying.

YouTube and Netflix work perfectly fine beyond the YouTube app not turning HDR on when watching HDR videos but there are so few of those one YouTube that it doesn't affect me. Most issues seems to stem from the fact that Sony thought it was a good idea to have HDR on all the time.

Edit: looks like HBO supports 4k on Xbox.
You literally just listed four apps that have issues in this post alone

logash

Oct 27, 2017
You literally just listed four apps that have issues in this post alone
And? I never said I had no issues lol. I said I have 0 issues with the HBO Max app. It not having 4k HDR is not an "issue" in the sense that it is not officially supported. Beyond that, the app works great for me.

As far as issues with the other apps go, like I said, they all have to do with HDR and it stems from Sony's dumb ass decision to have HDR always on when the PS5 originally launched.

Thug Larz

Designer @ Bungie
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
HBO Max doesn't support 4k on PS5 but all the other ones you mentioned do.

And same, I watch pretty much everything on my PS5 and I've had 0 crashes. If this was a wide spread issue than you'd certainly hear people complaining about it. Thinking it must be OPs PS5.
Ahhh good to know about HBO Max. I saw the 4K badge on a bunch of content, and just assumed…and you know what that does. 😄

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
The crux of the issue here is that these companies make those apps, and they decide how much effort is going to be put into those versions or not. In most cases there's nearly no difference between the functionality/performance/etc. of the PS4/5 apps and those that are built into TV's etc. I also feel like they're all using the same weird web-based API instead of being "real apps".

Meaning, they suck across the board. I just had to get a new TV and even though it's 4K and Android TV, the integrated YouTube app plays everything in sub-HD for who knows why. I have to use my PS5 because at least it'll play 4K there. Otherwise I'm running into the same usability problems and bugs/glitches across different platforms.

HBO has been incredibly bad though, so I echo others that mentioned them. Just really REALLY bad.

MrBenchmark

Dec 8, 2017
FYI it isn't Sony. Just like I've been told by Roku support in the past the apps are made by the app platform holders. Blame them just like how YouTube drops frames on Xbox and has never been fixed.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Outside of Crunchyroll constantly adjusting quality (and some early Plex issues which were fixed), it's been fine. This is on the companies themselves though, and a lot of them have apps that just suck everywhere.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
You would think with the media integration, the quick gui, and fast SSD... the PS5 would be a Media power house. But nope. It's like half of the team that designed the software had that in mind, where as the team that deals with the apps themselves don't give a fuck. What a waste.

t0rment

Oct 27, 2017
I gave up and bought an Apple TV.

Especially since the power used by the ps5 while streaming is insanely high

Oct 31, 2017
I would like a standalone Media player app to play my 3D movies in VR. Right now I use Rad but it charges monthly and isn't very good. I don't know why they give us the ability to play 3D movies in VR but don't give us an app that supports it. YouTube app on PS5 is also dogshit and doesn't support VR 180/360 degree videos while the PS4 YouTube App supported them.

Wavves

Oct 27, 2017
Thank you for making this thread. How can they have a media remote and most apps crash often. Not to mention they haven't added a new app in who knows how long. They're still missing a huge number of apps compared to Xbox.

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
Bluray player app on PS5 is fcking atrocious. I just started using a week ago and already it hard-crashed my console twice.

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
They already made countless updates and Disney+ still doesn't support 4K for some reason.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
Twitch will freeze for no reason, despite being plugged into the router and getting 700MBs throughput.

My XBSX, upstairs with two bars maximum and getting a 100MB at best, never locks up.

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
I love that they continuously pin apps ive never once touched or installed to the main bar and for anything I actually do use I have to dip into a separate menu to find.

Edit: on PS4

theSoularian

Oct 25, 2017
I love that they continuously pin apps ive never once touched or installed to the main bar and for anything I actually do use I have to dip into a separate menu to find.

Edit: on PS4

It's always been like that for PS4.

Personally, I never thought the PS3 & 4 were good media devices based my experience with then. It felt UI wasn't definitely not made for those functions in mind.

I'd say your better off getting a dedicated media box ( like an Android, Apple TV, Roku or something similar), but I understand seeing that as unnecessary when the consoles can do that stuff already.

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
HBO Max is a garbage app on any platform. Worst streaming quality of any service and constant crashes everywhere. I've heard they're supposedly getting a new app soon and I hope it's a massive improvement.

Oct 27, 2017
Totally agree with you on HBO Max being complete garbage. It was garbage on the ps4 as well. Netflix though I havent really had an issue.

¡Hip Hop!

Nov 9, 2017
The HBO app crashes all the time and if I leave it open and put the console to sleep I have to force close and reopen to get it working again.

doof_warrior

Oct 25, 2017
NJ
I absolutely love my ps5, but holy shit for some reason media apps absolutely blow on their consoles. HBO max crashes at least 2 times during a movie and Netflix is just as bad. Why do these apps just never work well on PlayStation consoles I had the same issue on my ps4 but absolutely no problems on my Xbox.
if it makes you feel better, hbo max fucking sucks on everything
it was terrible on ps4
its terrible on my lg tv

HououinKyouma

The Wise Ones
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Started watching Boardwalk Empire this morning. HBO Max crashed 3 times in an hour period.

Liquid Snake

Nov 10, 2017
Yeah HBO Max AND Disney + are both fucking awful on PS5. Can't go 30 minutes without a crash. No idea why more people aren't complaining about this.

s y

Nov 8, 2017
HBO max is trash across all platforms.

Never had any issues with Hulu or Neflix on PS5.

SuperBoss

Oct 25, 2017
I heavily use PS5 media apps often and fortunately haven't come across issues. Haven't used HBO but Netflix, Disney, Prime, crunchy, funimation, all have worked great for me.

Xero grimlock

Dec 1, 2017
Honestly the biggest app I've had an issue with is the apple + app on rolu and ps5. Just shit everywhere. Hbo has been better but still pretty bad.

Jan 9, 2018
I don't have problems with Youtube or Netflix on PS5, but the Amazon prime video is much worse than the phone app, no options to change the language, clunky navigation, slow as heck...

Yeah, these apps need an upgrade for real.