• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks Ivanovic for posting.

dims

According to Techtastic, the patent filed in South Korea hints at an "electronic game cartridge." No further details are given, but the design does suggest a connection at the bottom of the device that could be used to communicate with a console. This would certainly be in keeping with gaming division John Kodera's comments from May, where he noted that "Rather than separating portable gaming from consoles, it's necessary to continue thinking of [portable gaming] as one method to deliver more gaming experiences."

https://www.engadget.com/2018/11/27/sony-patents-a-new-kind-of-game-cartridge/

MOD EDIT:
That looks like the card from Sony's Toio paper craft robot thing
toio-800x420.jpg

However, not sure that is even from the same department as SIE so might be something totally different with the same design roots. Or maybe they are just taking it global

Last edited by a moderator:

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
sony-handheld.gif

The original source thinks it could be related to this patent from 2017, might just be Sony covering their bases if they decide to do a Switch-like thing

Looking at the cart, there seems to be a USB port on the bottom? Maybe it'll be a portable PS4 and you can transfer your console games? Maybe even games you have the disc for?? Very intriguing

EDIT: Actually the USB port is presumably the connector for the cart

Much

The Gif That Keeps on Giffing
Feb 24, 2018
Imagine a portable console that plays PS4 games.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Vita means life

I don't get what the hole is for, maybe for helping take the cartridge out of the system?

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
thinking emoji intensifies

Let me take this opportunity to dump a PSP3/PSV2 wishlist:

1) SD card storage
2) HDMI output and DS4 support
3) Backwards compatibility with PSP, Vita, and PS1 Classics
4) L2/R2 buttons instead of rear touchpad
5) Able to remotely wake up your PS4 (Vita can only put it to sleep, so if you want to use Remote Play while away for a few days, you have to leave your PS4 running for the entire time...)

I'll buy it at a high reasonable price.

Daphnes Nohansen Hyrule

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Announcing the next generation of Playstation systems

Playstation 5® March 2020
Playstation 4 Portable® (uses cartridges, all first party PS4 titles such as KZ:SF, BloodBorne and GOW avaliable at launch) November 2019.

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
Is it just me or does it look like an A/C controller?

I sure would love a successor to the Vita...

Deleted member 25108

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
A portable PS4 is not happening. Don't fool yourself.

At best this will be something related to PSVR if anything at all.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
yum. It's long overdue that sony has tried to forcefeed us a new proprietory media format.
I miss those days

Status
Not open for further replies.