• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rurouni

Dec 25, 2017
The PlayStation 5's sales momentum - currently held back by stock shortages - will finally overtake the PS4's equivalent selling speed by 2024.

In a financial presentation last night, Sony exec Jim Ryan noted that, despite a strong launch, PS5 sales were lagging behind PS4 in its equivalent second year owing to supply constraints.

Those supply constraints are due to both the Covid pandemic and Russia's war in Ukraine, but remain a top priority for Sony.

The pandemic has caused a shortage of parts inventory, as already documented in its impact across all consoles and PC parts.

However, Russia's war in Ukraine has been blamed for its impact on logistics and potential parts inventory.

Over the next year, PS5 sales are expected to close the gap on the year-on-year PS4 equivalent and will overtake the following year.

Slide from Sony's presentation.
How? Sony has a couple of mitigation measures in progress.

Firstly, it's sourcing multiple suppliers for greater agility in the current unstable market.

Secondly, there are ongoing logistical negotiations to maintain optimal PS5 delivery routes.

In a recent earnings call, Sony noted it missed its PS5 sales target by 3.3m consoles.

However, whenever the console is back in stock, sales of software sharply rise - as can be seen in last week's bump to Horizon Forbidden West sales.
www.eurogamer.net

Sony says PS5 stock shortages will stabilise, and sales return to PS4-era momentum by 2024

The PlayStation 5's sales momentum - currently held back by stock shortages - will finally overtake the PS4's equivalen…

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, they seem confident that they can handle stock issues now.

We shall see.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Calling it now, 25 million PS5s sold in the next FY (not this one) and 30 million sold in the following FY, including possible Pro and portable models.

renoch

Jan 16, 2019
It was always gonna just be a matter of time, these issues couldn't just keep going forever. 2024 about what I expected, wish it were sooner though!

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
3-4 years to get stock to normal levels from previous gens, it's unfortunate and just wild. gonna be a long generation (which I've always been fine with).

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Now? Thought it says by 2024

Pretty sure I meant since they are saying this....now....

They feel confident than can handle stock issues....now...

vs them saying what they said for Jan - March of 2022.

I dont know why this was interpreted any other way. One can look at the graph and see that.

"year 3 is expected to close the gap"
"Return to momentum by 2024"

to me says stock will be better in 2022 and 2023.

Unless no one expects it to get better until as soon as 2024 hits....

Stock has already been improving for the past few weeks vs Jan - Mar of this year.

Last edited:

Jason Frost

Oct 27, 2017
Sony: PS5 stock shortages will stabilise and sales will return to PS4-era momentum
Also Sony: releases the PS6 at the same time to make the PS5 becomes the new PS4

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Also, all this is with them expecting to sell 18 million PS5's by next year.

Pretty sure to do that...stock has to improve...this year.....

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Sony doesn't say 2024, it's a questionable interpretation by Eurogamer.

Sony says they will ship a bit more PS5s in the current fiscal year compared to PS4 shipments 7 years ago. And they expect to finally overtake PS4 LTD sales roughly in summer/fall 2023.
They aren't selling 120 million ps5s in 3 years

Hockeymac18

Nov 14, 2017
It's literally on Sony's powerpoint-slide.
I'm also sceptical if Sony can reach their shipment targets, but as of now Sony is planning to slowly close the gap and finally overtake PS4 until mid/end 2023.
Right - I'm agreeing with your skepticism.

Of course it would be incredible for them to do that, I just find it hard to believe they could given they've lost closing in on 2 years of sales momentum due to shortages - and the first 2 years of PS4's lifecycle was wildly successful without such severe shortages, by comparison.

So they're saying they will somehow overcome both the current shortages, and produce enough stock to blow past PS4's ~2 years of sales in a short amount of time. Yes, I'm skeptical, too.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We'll see, but I wouldn't be surprised if the PS5 can't match the PS4 in sales. The stock shortages are eating into the console's prime years and it will have stronger competition to boot.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
I'm very skeptical

There comes a time in a product cycle where demand doesn't translate to a sale 3-4 years down the road. Especially young adults have ever-changing personal situations and priorities in their late teens to early twenties. Someone who wanted a PS5 to play with his friends in his college years, will probably be out of college when the system is readily available.

This is optimistic PR for shareholders, the next missed quarter or year will be excused with the (very real) looming cost of living crisis.

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
*2024*

66ac72.jpg

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
I'll just leave this here:

www.videogameschronicle.com

GameStop is holding its first PS5 in-store sale event in over a month on Saturday | VGC

Console bundles will be available at almost all of its 3,000…

"Right now, we're planning on a significant ramp up in PS5 production this year, allowing us to close the gap versus PS4 in its own third year, then to overtake PS4's year four installed base within FY 2023 [the fiscal year ending on March 31, 2024].

"Beyond that, we're planning for heavy further increases in console production, taking us to production levels that we've never achieved before."

This is the point I was making.

To close a gap and surpass it...there has to be a progression to get to that point. I never took it to mean 'exactly in 2024 is when stock will get better.'

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
Great, the system will already be over 3 years into its life cycle by then. Just in the nick of time.

I will say though that even recently they seem to have been coming in stock a lot more frequently. If you want one and are determined, it seems like it's not that hard to get one anymore. They just aren't on store shelves.