• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
"It's for children" .... Get the fuck out of here

There is a laundry list of films and tv shows that target younger audiences, with comedic tone, zanny as all hell, and still manage to be damn great films.

Come on now, even just the recent Looney Tunes series runs CIRCLES around this movie.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
"It's for children" .... Get the fuck out of here

There is a laundry list of films and tv shows that target younger audiences, with comedic tone, zanny as all hell, and still manage to be damn great films.

Come on now, even just the recent Looney Toons series runs CIRCLES around this movie.
I saw a bit of that but I need to check that out more as I do enjoy Looney Tunes shows.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
Saw it.

This was a bad movie not because it referenced stuff that kids might not immediately recognise (golden era Simpsons and older Loony Tunes did this obviously) but because the referencing of old stuff was the entirety of huge portions of the movie and the movies plot itself couldn't breathe.

They should have either toned down the references and made it a more enjoyable straight forward movie for kids, or embraced a more mature rating and made it a movie for older audiences IMO

Lys Skygge

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
Watched the original last night, and New Legacy tonight. Honestly wasn't that bad and I'd say it's on par with the original.

Neither are great, but they're both enjoyable.

Oct 8, 2019
Just finished watching this, and honestly it was a lot better than I thought it would be. Starts off slow, but once it gets going the laughs were pretty frequent. Not going to say that it's a fantastic comedy, but I enjoyed it.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
This...somehow managed to cut through all the corporate bullshit they've been forcing in the marketing and end up with a better story than the first one. Looney Tunes are also still funny. Overall, I enjoyed my time with it.

Nepenthe

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Also, can we talk about THAT cameo:

The fact that Sylvester kidnapped Micheal B. Jordan, and they hype it up as if the original is coming back, slayed me.

Feb 11, 2020
i just finished watching this with my kids (3, 7). they loved it. i enjoyed. it was a good time. i was surprised to see all the takes about how awful it was. maybe they weren't expecting a kids movie.

also i really liked the reference when al g said

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I love this movie. Watched it for the 3rd time today. I….I like it more than the original, which I adore. Just like the original, I'm in no way trying to act like this is a good movie. I just think it's better than the original. Those fucking Looney Tunes man.

I hope you hate me. Hate me Era. Hate me internet. Envelop me. Power me.

I only care about excelsiorlef 's opinion. And I already know they'll be disappointed. But we're brothers at this point so I don't give a FUCK.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
I love this movie. Watched it for the 3rd time today. I….I like it more than the original, which I adore. Just like the original, I'm in no way trying to act like this is a good movie. I just think it's better than the original. Those fucking Looney Tunes man.

I hope you hate me. Hate me Era. Hate me internet. Envelop me. Power me.

I only care about excelsiorlef 's opinion. And I already know they'll be disappointed. But we're brothers at this point so I don't give a FUCK.
I won't hate you since you at least acknowledge that it isn't a good movie.=O

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
Hehe, thanks friend. Watch SJ1 soon. Looney Tunes are good for your health.
Maybe I should watch it again. I have seen it multiple times in the past years ago, heck as a kid I even had the toys of it like Micheal Jordan toy and such.

But I grew up with the Looney Tunes shorts mainly funny enough.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Runtime is too much, but this one has an actual protagonist with an arc, and a heartfelt core at the center of the plot. That alone makes it a better movie.
The arc was bad though, and MJ had an arc, and it was a reflective one on real life.

It was MJ learning to love Basketball again after his father was murdered.

LeBron is a shitty dad is not what I want from a movie about Bugs Bunny playing basketball

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe I should watch it again. I have seen it multiple times in the past years ago, heck as a kid I even had the toys of it like Micheal Jordan toy and such.

But I grew up with the Looney Tunes shorts mainly funny enough.

If you haven't watched it too recently, at least within the last 5 years or so, you really, really should. It could give you a better perspective on this movie. Don't let nostalgia just rule you.

SJ1 has a tendency to run your entire brain nostalgia wise, trust me I know. Watch it and enjoy it for that, but also understand it's faults. Which man, are many. (Not trying to say that ANL don't have faults either though)

Nepenthe

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
The arc was bad though, and MJ had an arc, and it was a reflective one on real life.

It was MJ learning to love Basketball again after his father was murdered.

LeBron is a shitty dad is not what I want from a movie about Bugs Bunny playing basketball
LeBron trying to connect with his son is not what you want from a movie about Bugs playing basketball, but an asshole millionaire having a midlife crisis is? 🤔

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
You are correct. As fucking sad as it is considering theses are both movies about Looney Tunes playing basketball, but yeah the human race is garbage.

And as a 31 year old turd, I am on Nepenthe 's side

WWSJ
It had to come to this, but due to the advantages and disadvantages of these movies they have no other choice.

Well, I'm 33 years old, but I am on excelsiorlef's side.=p

If you haven't watched it too recently, at least within the last 5 years or so, you really, really should. It could give you a better perspective on this movie. Don't let nostalgia just rule you.

SJ1 has a tendency to run your entire brain nostalgia wise, trust me I know. Watch it and enjoy it for that, but also understand it's faults. Which man, are many. (Not trying to say that ANL don't have faults either though)
For me I wasn't even huge on the 1st Space Jam even in the 90s so it was never that great, but it had some aspects I liked about it. Rewatching it again will probably be worse though but I would try to enjoy the aspects I liked about it.=O

a916

Oct 25, 2017
This movie was so fucking stupid lol.

The idea that it's for kids doesn't mean you can shit out a bad movie either... there's plenty of movies targeted towards kids that are well done.

Teen Titans Go the Movies was FANTASTIC. This movie sucked.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
This movie was so fucking stupid lol.

The idea that it's for kids doesn't mean you can shit out a bad movie either... there's plenty of movies targeted towards kids that are well done.

Teen Titans Go the Movies was FANTASTIC. This movie sucked.
Haven't seen it, but it was? Really shocking since I can't stand the show Teen Titans Go.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It had to come to this, but due to the advantages and disadvantages of these movies they have no other choice.

Well, I'm 33 years old, but I am on excelsiorlef's side.=p

For me I wasn't even huge on the 1st Space Jam even in the 90s so it was never that great, but it had some aspects I liked about it. Rewatching it again will probably be worse though but I would try to enjoy the aspects I liked about it.=O

Watch it again in the exact aspect you just said. Don't try to hate it, but investistgate. Don't let nostalgia rule you.

I would never want anyone to hate the Looney Tunes in anyway.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not a fan of the TV show, but the movie, really enjoyable.
Ah, that's good, the movie seems like a surprise.

Watch it again in the exact aspect you just said. Don't try to hate it, but investistgate. Don't let nostalgia rule you.

I would never want anyone to hate the Looney Tunes in anyway.
I can never hate the Looney Tunes, ha, ha!

Also I can't use nostalgia, since, well...I view something for what I enjoy now than back then!

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ah, that's good, the movie seems like a surprise.

I can never hate the Looney Tunes, ha, ha!

Also I can't use nostalgia, since, well...I view something for what I enjoy now than back then!

tenor.gif

Deleted member 35631

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 8, 2017
I hated this movie so much!

1. There is no conflict! The first movie had Bugs Bunny trying to save their world by playing a Basket Ball game, so he went to get Micheal Jordan, and he had to accept because the Monstars stole the other players' talent, so he needed to recover them. This movie has nothing. The reason is stupid, there is no sense in playing. Then, they put LeBron agains his kid, why? Also, his kid is the worst!

2. The game was horrible! There was practically no playing. LeBron did almost nothing. There were no rules so as a movie viewer you can't feel any excitement or tension about losing or winning. The bad guys were just there. There was no reason for anyone to care about the other team in a good or a bad way.

3. The over saturation of cameos was awful. First of all, there were so many that are only for adults, like Game of Thrones, IT, Joker, etc. Of course kids might know those franchises, but they shouldn't be there at all in a kids' movie. All the cameos should have been from animated characters from kids movies and series. All these cameos were really intended as an HBO Max commercial. There is no other reason that they were there this way. I bet infinite internet points that it was explicitly stated in pre-production that the purpose was a commercial.

Then, All the cameos sucked! They got random people to cosplay as the characters with cheap-ass costumes that you could find in a gas station for $5. WTF? This was such a weird decision. Like I said, all cameos should've been animated.

4. This movie killed whatever minuscule chance of Looney Tunes and all these amazing animated cartoons to get a new chance and become popular once again.

I will only say that I loved how the Looney Tunes looked as 3D-GGI characters. Of course nothing beat their cartoon animation, but they did a great job, IMO.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I hated this movie so much!

1. There is no conflict! The first movie had Bugs Bunny trying to save their world by playing a Basket Ball game, so he went to get Micheal Jordan, and he had to accept because the Monstars stole the other players' talent, so he needed to recover them. This movie has nothing. The reason is stupid, there is no sense in playing. Then, they put LeBron agains his kid, why? Also, his kid is the worst!

2. The game was horrible! There was practically no playing. LeBron did almost nothing. There were no rules so as a movie viewer you can't feel any excitement or tension about losing or winning. The bad guys were just there. There was no reason for anyone to care about the other team in a good or a bad way.

3. The over saturation of cameos was awful. First of all, there were so many that are only for adults, like Game of Thrones, IT, Joker, etc. Of course kids might know those franchises, but they shouldn't be there at all in a kids' movie. All the cameos should have been from animated characters from kids movies and series. All these cameos were really intended as an HBO Max commercial. There is no other reason that they were there this way. I bet infinite internet points that it was explicitly stated in pre-production that the purpose was a commercial.

Then, All the cameos sucked! They got random people to cosplay as the characters with cheap-ass costumes that you could find in a gas station for $5. WTF? This was such a weird decision. Like I said, all cameos should've been animated.

4. This movie killed whatever minuscule chance of Looney Tunes and all these amazing animated cartoons to get a new chance and become popular once again.

I will only say that I loved how the Looney Tunes looked as 3D-GGI characters. Of course nothing beat their cartoon animation, but they did a great job, IMO.

Christ. I read your full post and I think some of it are valid

But please, putting this in a Simpsons' light, are you kidding me?

I want people to understand this conversation and shit that stinks from it can sonetimes extremely valid: But shit like shit like this…doesn't seem real at all. I'll be happily corrected on being wrong though if you wanna contact bye to talk about this rather than usin sis as some some sort of controversy step to your next day.

Edit: Tried to get his out as quick as I could. In the end, we're all dumb as shit.

Just finished watching this and all I basically got was basically Kingdom Hearts with Loony Toons characters inside an overly-long HBO Max commercial... But I barely remember anything that happened in it.

I haven't seen the original film in ages though so it's hard to say how much nostalgia would play in it but I did grow up watching Bugs & Co. as a kid.

Nepenthe

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
There is no conflict! The first movie had Bugs Bunny trying to save their world by playing a Basket Ball game, so he went to get Micheal Jordan, and he had to accept because the Monstars stole the other players' talent, so he needed to recover them. This movie has nothing. The reason is stupid, there is no sense in playing. Then, they put LeBron agains his kid, why? Also, his kid is the worst!
.... What? There is conflict.
Bugs sneakily takes advantage of LeBron's situation as an opportunity to round up his friends again after Al G. has separated them. When the game actually begins, they then start playing for their existence since Al G decides to fuck them over at the last second and erase their universe if LeBron loses.

LeBron is up against his kid because they are antagonistic towards each other throughout the entire movie; LeBron pushing him to play basketball, and his son suffering under the pressure to do so at the expense of video game development. His son is also lied to by Al- he doesn't understand the stakes of the game until basically the final quarter.

There's also the secondary conflict being that LeBron's hard-asseness is a detriment to his team's strengths (albeit a team he didn't want), which only reinforces the conflict he's having with his son. Remember: Him and Bugs start arguing over power before the game starts.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
A major thing is the Tunes helped Jordan work through his issues in the original, the Tunes really don't do much to help LeBron be a better dad, and also why do I want to see a Bugs Bunny movie about LeBron learning to be a better Dad to his gamer son?

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
.... What? There is conflict.
Bugs sneakily takes advantage of LeBron's situation as an opportunity to round up his friends again after Al G. has separated them. When the game actually begins, they then start playing for their existence since Al G decides to fuck them over at the last second and erase their universe if LeBron loses.

LeBron is up against his kid because they are antagonistic towards each other throughout the entire movie; LeBron pushing him to play basketball, and his son suffering under the pressure to do so at the expense of video game development. His son is also lied to by Al- he doesn't understand the stakes of the game until basically the final quarter.

There's also the secondary conflict being that LeBron's hard-asseness is a detriment to his team's strengths (albeit a team he didn't want), which only reinforces the conflict he's having with his son. Remember: Him and Bugs start arguing over power before the game starts.

Well done with the summary. It's funny when the defense for the original is just "but the Tunes needed MJ!!!". Like it's really, really not more effective at all when you take off your tinted glasses. If anything, Lebron's situation lead to hanging out with Tunes more.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
LeBron trying to connect with his son is not what you want from a movie about Bugs playing basketball, but an asshole millionaire having a midlife crisis is? 🤔

I think people need to chill out on this shit. Guy's father was murdered and dumped into a river, grieving and find your way after that when that's the closest person in your life is not a "midlife crisis" that was an inconvenience to basketball fans.

Sorry to bring that up, but people really treat athletes like they're cattle.

Nepenthe

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I think people need to chill out on this shit. Guy's father was murdered and dumped into a river, grieving and find your way after that when that's the closest person in your life is not a "midlife crisis" that was an inconvenience to basketball fans.

Sorry to bring that up, but people really treat athletes like they're cattle.
I'm talking about the fictional Jordan in the fucking movie, not whatever actually happened to Jordan in real life.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm talking about the fictional Jordan in the fucking movie, not whatever actually happened to Jordan in real life.

But the movie is loosely based on what happened in real life, I'm just tired of it being OK to call a person an asshole for stuff like that because he didn't sign an autograph for freaking Chamillionaire one time.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Legit was surprised that this one was better than the first. Must say even as a kid I despised the first because I knew MJ was a real-life asshole. A ruthless champion he is for sure but generally I just couldn't buy it in a movie where the dude is playing himself. It's like, I know you punched Steve Kerr in the face dude. LeBron is actually a big goofy dude who is a corny ass dad in real life. MJ would've told the Tunes "Monstars buy sneakers too" and peace out on they ass in real life.

Nepenthe

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
But the movie is loosely based on what happened in real life, I'm just tired of it being OK to call a person an asshole for stuff like that because he didn't sign an autograph for freaking Chamillionaire one time.
I legitimately don't care what the movie is based on (didn't even know his father was murdered until I Wiki'd it just now). I'm also not referring to him as an asshole over some beef with Chamillionaire (which I didn't know nor also don't care about). I also don't have the patience for this presumptuous shit. I'm out of this thread. Enjoy (or don't enjoy) your shitty corporate children's films, the thing I was actually trying to talk about.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Show me one single thing the Looney Tunes did better than the whole "claim this land in the name of Earth" scene in ANL. I'm serious, one.

Gengahrrr

Oct 25, 2017
All those Party City knock off versions of WB characters fake cheering in the background were really distracting.

GenericUser

Banned
Jun 4, 2020
What about kingdom hearts is this ? That comparison is ridiculous. This is just the first space jam mixed with a sorry excuse for a father and son bonding angle.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
That's 100% what the movie was low key exploring, Space Jam was all about MJ rediscovering his love of Basketball as part of his healing process

Like a big reason I really do have an affinity in 2021 for the original is the real world context and how MJ is presented in the film.

I'd have been so in for Space Jam 2 to have a LeBron that wasn't a bad dad and a hardass jerk for most of the movie. That just doesn't interest me in the slightest.

I genuinely appreciated that Space Jam took a more humble characterization of MJ, especially in context of when it took place and what all of the baseball stuff really meant. The original is a really weird movie in many sense because of the unspoken stuff that is still clearly there. It probably also matters that MJ was my entire basketball fandom really.

Like there's something genuinely authentic about the opening of the original Space Jam with MJ (as a child) and his father, talking about basketball and baseball and MJ's dreams of both.

The opening to ANL is comparatively less authentic in that it exists only really to set up the LeBron thinks video games are stupid and a distraction from Basketball so he can overcome that, it's forced, and it just feels like a bad copy of the opening from the original... made even more so when irl LeBron seemingly absolutely grew up playing and liking video games.

Now it's easy to say well it's not real, which yes, but again for me what makes Space Jam a bit more special (in 2021) is that it draws from the real life, MJ's motivations , struggles, and drives are all derived from reality, LeBron's are completely fictionalized, and they're generic and frankly boring.

Last edited: