• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Simo

Oct 26, 2017
Michigan, USA
Where and when did they "Destiny clone" rumor come from? I remember it from the old board but I can't remember the origins.

To be honest a Destiny clone of sorts sounds exciting. Having your Avenger in a shared world and different locations or "zones" you can go about solo or co-op. Partake in shared activities or have your own superhero team aka clan of 4 or 6 to taken on end game raids. The gameplay loop being experience to level up your Avenger and his or her powers with loot drops for new gear.

And as much as I like the sound of that...I just don't know how it would be accomplished or works? Would we be playing as established Avengers like Cap or Iron Man meaning there will be multiple copies roaming about or do we create our own hero? FPS or TPS? Etc etc.

Obviously there's more questions given we know practically nothing other than its a project and the developers lol but I'm still cautiously optimistic and excited. Hoping TGA is the reveal.

Rogue

Nov 7, 2017
Behind you
Where and when did they "Destiny clone" rumor come from? I remember it from the old board but I can't remember the origins.

To be honest a Destiny clone of sorts sounds exciting. Having your Avenger in a shared world and different locations or "zones" you can go about solo or co-op. Partake in shared activities or have your own superhero team aka clan of 4 or 6 to taken on end game raids. The gameplay loop being experience to level up your Avenger and his or her powers with loot drops for new gear.

And as much as I like the sound of that...I just don't know how it would be accomplished or works? Would we be playing as established Avengers like Cap or Iron Man meaning there will be multiple copies roaming about or do we create our own hero? FPS or TPS? Etc etc.

Obviously there's more questions given we know practically nothing other than its a project and the developers lol but I'm still cautiously optimistic and excited. Hoping TGA is the reveal.

Marvel Heroes done as Warframe.

Alternate realities justify cosmetics and duplicate characters.

Simo

Oct 26, 2017
Michigan, USA
Marvel Heroes done as Warframe.

Alternate realities justify cosmetics and duplicate characters.

Holy shit. Ok yeah there it is, now I have better idea of how it could be done and I didn't even think of Warframe as an example despite being a player.

Great. Now my expectations might be astronomical. Thanks. LOL

Jul 13, 2018
Summary:
  • Back in January 2017, Square Enix announced that they had signed a deal with Marvel to make an Avengers game, and that Crystal Dynamics would be its primary developer. In interviews, Crystal Dynamics implied that they had been working on this for a year or so before announcing the partnership to help hire (which lines up with Rise of the Tomb Raider shipping).
  • In a very odd turn of events, Crystal Dynamics hires an entirely new set of senior staff, up to and including roles like Creative Director and Game Director, starting between January and March 2018, and continuing through now. I had assumed they had rebooted the game, though it was odd that Marvel and Crystal Dynamics were aggressively asserting that the game had made tremendous progress thus far during these announcements.
  • Notably, in February 2018, they also added a job for a Senior Producer for a singleplayer mode that sounded like it would oversee the entire process of making a campaign. Most jobs prior to this (and still many today) instead talked about ambitious co-op and online shared gameplay across many modes.
  • Just today, people were asking who the director of the game was, and when I went to look on LinkedIn, I noticed that The Avengers actually seems to have two full sets of senior staff, one from 2015-2016 (or earlier, if they were studio veterans), and one hired starting in 2018. This even includes multiple Game Directors and Creative Directors.
  • While not as bulletproof, the people hired in 2018 tend to have work histories more tied to singleplayer gaming, whereas some of the older hires tend to be more online oriented. Mind, this trend does not follow 100% through the staff.
  • I'm suspicious that Square Enix decided to add a singleplayer campaign in the last 2 years of development (out of 4-5 total) to The Avengers. They expect a gigantic revenue spike next fiscal year (April 2019 - March 2020), so if we assume it's a Q1 2020 game, that would be 16-24 months after they started making the campaign under this proposed scenario. We did see something similar with Battlefront 2, where EA seemed to move Motive off of Visceral's game and into making a Battlefront 2 campaign 4-6 months into that game's two year dev cycle.
  • This would also all line up with the incongruency of Square Enix's hiring and their assertions about how far along they are in development, since it would mean they didn't reboot the game or anything of that nature. They would have simply expanded the scope.
  • I could absolutely be wrong. This is speculation. I do not have insider knowledge.
Hey Nirolak,

I was actually contacted by an acquaintance of mine that wants to shed some light on the Avengers Project. Again, I'm disclosing information that I've received from this individual who has given me permission to state the following.

The Avengers Project will have a heavy story/narrative focus and not in any way be a "shallow" online/multiplayer only title. A deep single player experience has been a priority/focus since the project's inception.

I trust this individual by stating the above information. If you require any further proof, I'll just mention "Kamala Khan".

Edit: I only use the term "shallow" since that is the word most frequently used when describing multiplayer/online focused titles with only lite story elements.

Last edited:

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Massive comic fan but not excited for this at all tbh, zero interest in some multiplayer focused game with an Avengers skin

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The amount of talent / size of the team working on this game is pretty crazy

They've been recruiting VERY aggressively

Oct 26, 2017
The Avengers Project will have a heavy story/narrative focus and not in any way be a "shallow" online/multiplayer only title. A deep single player experience has been a priority/focus since the project's inception.

Do you mean it is an online/multiplayer only title, just not a shallow one, or that it won't be online/multiplayer only? Does it have an offline singleplayer mode?

Zetta

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Hmmmm were they thinking about making this game like Marvel Ultimate Alliance multiplayer only or what? At this point I don't know how great that single player is going to be since it'll most likely be rushed.

Jul 13, 2018
Do you mean it is an online/multiplayer only title, just not a shallow one, or that it won't be online/multiplayer only? Does it have an offline singleplayer mode?
A heavy story/narrative driven co-op campaign. Can be played solo or with friends (up to 4 player co-op).

Edit: I revised the above info. I initially thought 4 characters would be on-screen at all times and as a solo player, you could toggle between all characters or have friends control the other 3. The game will actually allow "up to" 4 players in the campaign.

Last edited:

Ryengeku

Oct 26, 2017
Georgia, US
This Avengers game was seriously going to be multiplayer-only focused??....That would have been a huge pass from me then.

But if it turns out to be a rushed campaign....then it'll still be a huge pass.

Last edited:

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I'm always on board for more SP content, but it's still gonna be a game in a boring IP

OP
OP
Nirolak

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
This is the Destiny like game right? Do you think SE have the capabilities to pull it off? I don't see them having much experience with online games.
Hey Nirolak,

I was actually contacted by an acquaintance of mine that wants to shed some light on the Avengers Project. Again, I'm disclosing information that I've received from this individual who has given me permission to state the following.

I trust this individual by stating the above information. If you require any further proof, I'll just mention "Kamala Khan".

Edit: I only use the term "shallow" since that is the word most frequently used when describing multiplayer/online focused titles with only lite story elements.
A heavy story/narrative driven co-op campaign. Can be played online with friends or solo with AI teammates (offline).
Okay, this would actually clear up a lot of the seeming overlap between the two Marvel games from Square Enix, and I was kind of wondering if we might see this split.

The Avengers: Campaign based, relatively traditional (action/adventure) game that can be played co-op or solo, and presumably has some additional online modes for longevity either at launch or later. This is a growingly popular model we've seen with games like Dying Light, Far Cry 5, Ghost Recon, Divinity, and the like, and is usually most to the liking of people who like singleplayer games while still catering very well to the co-op audience.

Guardians of the Galaxy: This one seems to be more of a shooter RPG with co-op and competitive multiplayer, so I'm guessing this is much more in the mold of games like Destiny, The Division, Anthem, Borderlands, etc, but probably with a heavy narrative focus given the studio who is making it.

I think that's actually a very good call on their part. Lead out with the more traditional game first, and save the more very online focused one for next-gen.

Thanks for the heads up.

Also, I'm assuming that Kamala was the one narrating that trailer all those ages ago, haha.

This does actually line up with that old rumor on this note: https://www.resetera.com/threads/ru...-co-op-but-not-mmo-ish-characters-more.42361/

Last edited:

Aokiji

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
Guardians of the Galaxy: This one seems to be more of a shooter RPG with co-op and competitive multiplayer, so I'm guessing this is much more in the mold of games like Destiny, The Division, Anthem, Borderlands, etc, but probably with a heavy narrative focus given the studio who is making it.
This doesn't make sense. How does GotG lend to this type of game? Everyone is going to create a random marvel character that "joins" the guardians? Or everyone will be running around as one of the guardians?

Aokiji

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
Idk if you can answer but I just want to know if this will be done with Avengers or a "shield agent" like was rumored because that's what will make or break this game

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
I always assumed this was going to be an isometric loot game like Diablo, X-Men Legends, and that F2P Marvel game that may not exist anymore. Marvel Heroes?

How is there not a Marvel Smash clone already?

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wait.. this game wasn't single player focused from the get go? Like that'd be the only reason why I'd choose Square Enix for a company if I made these sorts of decisions.

I still question what kind of game this will be. I wonder if Overwatch was a contributing factor to the type of online gameplay they had planned.

Jul 13, 2018
Idk if you can answer but I just want to know if this will be done with Avengers or a "shield agent" like was rumored because that's what will make or break this game
The roster will include several members of the Avengers. Each character/hero will even have a skill tree of their own (rpg elements). Hope that bit of info helps!

Vaibhav

Banned
Apr 29, 2018
If you are investing 50 million usd, might as well invest 70 and appeal to twice as many people.

Having a sp in AAA games should be a no brainer. Especially for something like Avengers where you can tell so many stories.

Aokiji

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
I assume it would be like Borderlands on that front.
So like BL did characters that doubled as classes, each Guardian would be a choice of Char/Class? Or it'll legit be like BL where you just pick rando class & have AI Guardians?

The roster will include several members of the Avengers. Each character/hero will even have a skill tree of their own (rpg elements). Hope that bit of info helps!
This is phenomenal. Thank you for answering. To me this was the major pillar of the game. Because that SHIELD agent talk was very depressing

OP
OP
Nirolak

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
So like BL did characters that doubled as classes, each Guardian would be a choice of Char/Class? Or it'll legit be like BL where you just pick rando class & have AI Guardians?
I would assume each character is basically a class and that you play as that class when you pick them.

Like you can have four Mayas in Borderlands, but they're all still the character Maya. They then offer additional character customization options beyond that so you don't look identical while still clearly being Maya.

If we did this very literally, Starlord would presumably have dual wielding as a special trait a la Salvador whereas Gamora would have a sword a la Zer0.

Edit:

Actually, what Squirtle just said for The Avengers game would fit with this kind of concept too.

Aokiji

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
I would assume each character is basically a class and that you play as that class when you pick them.

Like you can have four Mayas in Borderlands, but they're all still the character Maya. They then offer additional character customization options beyond that so you don't look identical while still clearly being Maya.

If we did this very literally, Starlord would presumably have dual wielding as a special trait a la Salvador whereas Gamora would have a sword a la Zer0.

Edit:

Actually, what Squirtle just said for The Avengers game would fit with this kind of concept too.
And just like that I'm actually excited for these games now

OP
OP
Nirolak

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
And just like that I'm actually excited for these games now
For these types of well established IPs, I also really feel it's the right direction to go.

With Destiny and The Division, they were new IPs, so there wasn't really a set of existing characters people were dying the play as, but obviously that's the core draw in a superhero game.

This is also where Arkham Origins got its multiplayer very, very wrong. Who on earth wants to be a random goon in The Joker or Two Face's gang???

Dandy

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't really been following this game or the rumours surrounding it... But I always assumed it was going to be single-player.

Deleted member 16365

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Didn't Marvel say they were taking a much, much more active approach to their games like they do their movies? Perhaps whatever CD made wasn't up to their standards and they are still working on it.

I don't know how involved they were with Spiderman but Insomniac was making a big deal out of earning the Marvel badge of quality.

OP
OP
Nirolak

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't Marvel say they were taking a much, much more active approach to their games like they do their movies? Perhaps whatever CD made wasn't up to their standards and they are still working on it.

I don't know how involved they were with Spiderman but Insomniac was making a big deal out of earning the Marvel badge of quality.
Marvel does daily meetings with their game development partners about the games these days.

That said, they've been very clear they're actually really excited about this one.

OP
OP
Nirolak

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
Wait.. this game wasn't single player focused from the get go? Like that'd be the only reason why I'd choose Square Enix for a company if I made these sorts of decisions.

I still question what kind of game this will be. I wonder if Overwatch was a contributing factor to the type of online gameplay they had planned.
Square Enix is taking some business direction changes: http://www.hd.square-enix.com/eng/pdf/ar_2017en.pdf

squaregameszye65.png

OP
OP
Nirolak

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
Sort of explains their decision to make Final Fantasy XV comrades. Maybe that was to see if building in their engine for a multiplayer game was possible.
Yeah, Tabata was clear that most of the post launch feature updates (co-op, offroad driving, character creation, running live events, that sort of stuff) was being done as technological groundwork for their New IP.

Jul 13, 2018
Yeah, Tabata was clear that most of the post launch feature updates (co-op, offroad driving, character creation, running live events, that sort of stuff) was being done as technological groundwork for their New IP.
Any idea on how long Luminous Production's new IP had been in development for? It'll be interesting to see if the studio will continue working on this IP or start over from scratch. I'm hoping it's the former. Thanks.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Nirolak

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
Any idea on how long Luminous Production's new IP had been in development for? It'll be interesting to see if the studio will continue working on this IP or start over from scratch. I'm hoping it's the former. Thanks.
IIRC they had some amount of staff on it prior to FFXV shipping, but didn't start in full until about a year after FFXV came out.