• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which version looks better?

• 2017 looks better

Votes: 169 17.9%
  • 2018 looks better

Votes: 777 82.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

patapon

Banned
Dec 7, 2017

8hlihH.jpg

8hl0C1.jpg

8hlIzc.jpg

8hlZwK.jpg

8hlayC.png

Last edited:

Lupic

Dec 31, 2017
United Kingdom
Compression aside, I think this is the first time I've seen older vs newer screenshots of an unreleased game where I like the look of the newer screenshots.

Deleted member 1607

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Looks like style changes, I can't notice anything else other than some lighting changes and the one added effect.

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
The game definitely looks better now but why are those such bad screenshots...?

Seedy87

Jan 4, 2018
The screencaps are awful, but the video's a much more useful comparison. So, watch that, basically.

Deleted member 34714

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 28, 2017
these aren't graphic comparisons. They just seem like changes to the art style. Different clothes, different hair style, etc.

OP
OP
patapon

patapon

Banned
Dec 7, 2017

Nekrono

May 17, 2018
Seem like an improvement although lighting in the background scene/characters took a massive hit.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
That's a lot of jpeg. From what can be seen, some lighting adjustments. Not much else.

Also Peter looks less like Andrew Garfield.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I know it looks better from my GamerSyde video comparisons but those YouTube screenshots don't do it justice by any means.

Apex88

Jan 15, 2018
In the original showings the characters had a very cartoony look. I don't know if a great deal has changed or if they're using some graphical technique that makes skin and hair textures more realistic. Anyhow, they're clearly going for a very stylised look.

Last edited:

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
It's interesting seeing the little changes they make over time. Like rolling up that dude's sleeves or putting a cardigan on Aunt May.

Ailanthium

Oct 27, 2017
Seem like an improvement although lighting in the background scene/characters took a massive hit.

Seems like they desaturated and darkened the backgrounds while adding more lighting effects to the main characters to draw more attention to the foreground. I think it's a little visually cluttered in the original screenshots, while the newer ones do a better job of drawing your eyes to the main action. Gives it a more cinematic feel, especially with the depth of field effects. Then again, that could just be a side benefit to reducing background lighting for performance reasons, but I actually think it works in the game's favor.

Not sure how I feel about the character models though. Aunt May and Mr. Negative look better, but Peter still looks vaguely uncanny to me; doesn't help that my image of Peter Parker is strewn across three different actors in the live-action movies.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
This is just different lighting and textures, really. Not much of a change technically.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
Going pic by pic...

- Blue shirt looks better on Peter. The lighting looks way better and their skin looks a lot more natural now.

- That sweater looks great on Aunt May. Again, the lighting looks better now.

- Skin looks better now and the color tone is way more appealing.

- Spider-Man's suit looks much better now. Less like plastic.

I guess take the comparison with a grain of salt due to YouTube compression. But I like all of the outfit/color/lighting changes from what I can tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.