• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
"HD Games" encompasses console, handheld, and non-browser based PC games, as is separate from their MMO business.

I'm unsure if these would be optional subscriptions or not.

squaresubscriptionsjle5n.png

Source: http://www.hd.square-enix.com/eng/news/pdf/19q2slides.pdf

As you can see, MMOs are listed separately:

squaremmov0eq8.png

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
By subscriptions, do they mean like season passes or will we be unable to play a single player game without a paid subscription on top of paying for the game? Or would this be for free to play console games?

I'm hella confused by what Square is wanting here and what they want to apply it towards.

OP
OP
Nirolak

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
By subscriptions, do they mean like season passes or will we be unable to play a single player game without a paid subscription on top of paying for the game? Or would this be for free to play console games?

I'm hella confused by what Square is wanting here and what they want to apply it towards.
I'm not informed enough about Japanese corporate law to be able to tell if season passes would be considered subscriptions there, or if they mean value added premium services.

It's a super weird way to phrase it for season passes though. Like a lot of US companies would recognize that revenue as subscription revenue, but they certainly wouldn't call it one in this manner.

There is also the EA Access route.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe their own version of Game Pass / EA thing? If it's a subscription for an offline game, then they can kindly fuck off.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
And I want a toilet made out of solid gold, but it's just not in the cards, is it.

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017
Aren't battlepasses essentially subscriptions for live games?

I can see that type of subscription becoming more common. Though square doesn't exactly have the games that would lend themselves to that.

I don't think the old MMO model would work too well nowadays.

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
If they want subscriptions, they better respond with content in kind. A steady stream of update content with at LEAST a one year roadmap of content post launch (and you should keep all previous content after not renewing a sub). 3 months before the end of the first year, there better either be a roadmap for the following year, or an announcement that support will end, so players can cancel ahead of time.

And the content better give me a reason to stay in the world. If your first piece of content is 6 months after release, forget about it. I've moved on.

I'm sure the subscription model sounds like a super cool idea internally, but I don't know if they necessarily realize what they're on the hook for as far as consumer expectations go.

OP
OP
Nirolak

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
Aren't battlepasses essentially subscriptions for live games?

I can see that type of subscription becoming more common. Though square doesn't exactly have the games that would lend themselves to that.

I don't think the old MMO model would work too well nowadays.
Battle Passes might make sense for this kind of thing, yeah. They're moving the whole company toward Games as a Service and online (both Japan and the West), so I wouldn't be surprised to see them try that.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
DLC and Season Passes, sure, but monthly subscriptions, especially for full priced offline games? No thanks and get fucked. Unless of course they mean a subscription model similar to EA Access.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Can't wait for all the Kingdom Hearts III DLC.
Finish your games, SE. Then I might buy them again.

Sgtpepper89

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
I mean the service/subscription model is all around the entertainment industry, cant blame a company that dares to invest in AAA titles nowdays to try make as much money as possible. If you dont like it, vote with your wallet.

They got such a big fanbase that I can see a subscription similar to the Nintendo one with old classics releasing sometimes aswell as making sure people keep investing in their games as a stable income.

wapplew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MS leading the industry to change once again.
Gaming on subscription is the future, Nintendo, Sony and other publishers will join, just the mater of when.

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
very interested to what they do with KH3 went it comes out now
Well we know they haven't cut anything out of the game to sell later on, and that there won't be a season pass. Any DLC, according to Nomura, should be meaty gameplay expansions so no cosmetic items for sale.

I don't think Kingdom Hearts 3 will fall under whatever net they are casting here. I have a feeling that this may be more lined up to launch with The Avengers Project?

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
With their inability to follow this year ffxv Comrades roadmap content release in time :
giphy.gif

OP
OP
Nirolak

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
Well we know they haven't cut anything out of the game to sell later on, and that there won't be a season pass. Any DLC, according to Nomura, should be meaty gameplay expansions so no cosmetic items for sale.

I don't think Kingdom Hearts 3 will fall under whatever net they are casting here. I have a feeling that this may be more lined up to launch with The Avengers Project?
I suspect it's their service games in general, though yes, that will nigh assuredly be one.

taepoppuri

Oct 29, 2017
I'm not surprised after the success of FFXV Season pass. I'll be happy to throw more money at them as long as they don't release unfinished game and the post content are great.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
A bit sad we're still in the era of putting more effort on a lower amount of games, it's really killing diversity.
I guess we should be thankful they have Asano's team for mid-budget games.

Risev

Oct 27, 2017
Man with the rate they put out content at you'll be lucky to get a piece of content every 6 months for each game.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Isn't this essentially what they've been doing with Final Fantasy XV?

The wording is ambiguous on this one, that's why we don't know if they're talking about standard FFXV-style season/battle passes (which I doubt since this should go under post-launch initiative), subscription fees ala MMOs, or a service subscription similar to MS/EA game pass.

PachaelD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If there's any one thing that SE do have, is a deep back catalogue of IP that is fit to be in some sort of 'service' like the EA pass offered prior.

I mean, a 'Final Fantasy' pass with access to the online XIV and XI and vault access to all prior Final Fantasies could be a start.

Ombala

Oct 30, 2017
Atleast when it comes to RPGs Just make a good game and finish it Before release. Then move on to the b´next, it simple SE.

Xshade90

Nov 2, 2017
I don't know enough to be angry about this announcement, so I'll remain neutral. Some of you here should do the same ;)

VaanXSnake

Banned
Jul 18, 2018
Square Enix is the EA of the east, after seeing the content of FFXV, they can keep their subscription service for themselves but I already know it'll be successful thanks to the fandom/whales.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
I can't think of anything good that can come from this. If you want subscription so much S-E, LOCALIZE DRAGON QUEST X!!!

Shapes

Nov 6, 2017
So, basically they want the game passes and other similar crap that has been par cor the course some time now?

Bloody rubbish.

Sangetsu-II

Oct 26, 2017
I'm just gonna name drop some subs for our horrendous all access future...

GamePass
PS Now
EA Access
Ubi Club
Square Union
Bethesda Vault
Nintendo Park
Sega Net
Acti Core

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
I can't see this having any effect on my gaming or purchasing habits regarding SE. They're one of my favorite publishers and I buy several of their games every year, but besides FFXIV obviously, I can't really see any of them lending themselves to a service model I'd be interested in. Like, go ahead and have a live service model for Tomb Raider or whatever, but I'm pretty much just interested in playing through the base game and moving on to something else. Only thing that might change my opinion on that would be Crystal Dynamics's Avengers game. If it has some Diablo-like online co-op features, I might be interested in that.