• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Oozer

Oct 25, 2017
So I stumbled on something kinda crazy last night. There's a user on eBay selling what he or she claims are prints of concept art (i.e., not the art itself but prints of the pieces for reference use) used during the production of The Force Awakens that they apparently got from a crew member who worked at Pinewood studios. And they're selling a ton of them. Dozens and dozens, well over 250. A few of them were seen in The Art of The Force Awakens and some more were seen in leaks, but the vast majority are ones I've never seen before. Most are costume or alien designs with a few concept pieces thrown in. And apparently, the seller has been doing this for a couple of weeks. They have a dozen or so pieces of feedback for sold prints. At first, I was wary of the legitimacy of the art just because it seemed unlikely that someone would not only have this much but would also be selling it all, but the more I looked, the more convinced I became that they were real. The quality of the pieces that match the leaked concept art is higher than the leaks. A piece that was in The Art of The Force Awakens is larger here and contains not only the correct artist's signature but also a date that matches that given in an MSW report that talked about it. There are other pieces that match MSW reports too, interestingly enough. The overwhelming majority of the available art is from artists who worked at Pinewood and not in San Fransisco or LA, which is expected from a source at Pinewood. And those artists worked mostly on creatures and costumes which matches most of this art. It's certainly possible that someone faked the art, but if so it's an amazing job. The dates, content, and even style are all correct as far as I can tell. Anyway, enough talk, let's get to the art.

A cool looking canal:

y42TXsV.jpg

The Falcon flying away from an ominous-looking castle:

COPqNcc.jpg

An early version of Maz working on a lightsaber crystal. Or having a very lonely birthday.

spPoJPi.jpg

Finn in a different jacket:

zkBHPLT.jpg

Han in a sweet long coat:

VFJWBkm.jpg

Han in another cool long coat:

MeOz1Ev.jpg

Costume design for Daisy-Ridley-as-Rey:

2QiaWfz.jpg

Remember the somewhat infamous leaked art of the Jedi Killer embracing Kira? Here's a slightly different version of that with people (Sam, Maz, and BB-8 maybe?) in the background:

QcM4zww.jpg

The "lightsaber-flies-into-Rey's-hands" moment, only with what appears to be Obi-Wan's final lightsaber, for some reason:

6Q7x75G.jpg

Finn getting the bloody handprint on his helmet in the Jakku village, but from months before the Stormtrooper design was finalized:

n25WcYt.jpg

And maybe the most intriguing of all, a bunch of studies to see how BB-8 could carry a lightsaber. You may remember that early rumors for the movie had the lightsaber essentially being the map and getting passed around the whole film. I had begun to doubt that just because there was scant evidence aside from the rumors. Neither the leaked shooting schedule nor any official sources really pointed to it being true. But now I'm starting to think it might be possible again.

VqjFkua.jpg

sacEikD.jpg

hWFYy0E.jpg

5WxNZvL.jpg

Oozer

Oct 25, 2017
Back before The Rise of Skywalker came out, it was rumored that Duel of the Fates had been part of the score in some way. But then it wasn't in the movie. Well, some more cue titles for the score were discovered recently and among them was this: 8M17 Duel of the Fates Excerpt. Man, we really need expanded scores released for the Skywalker Saga. I wonder if the "Duel" TV spot used this new recording.

Wow, those are great. Did the seller catalogue these somewhere?

I don't think so. At the very least a cursory glance didn't find anything. I downloaded everything I could, though, just to be safe.

Cross-Section

Oct 27, 2017
Back before The Rise of Skywalker came out, it was rumored that Duel of the Fates had been part of the score in some way. But then it wasn't in the movie. Well, some more cue titles for the score were discovered recently and among them was this: 8M17 Duel of the Fates Excerpt. Man, we really need expanded scores released for the Skywalker Saga. I wonder if the "Duel" TV spot used this new recording.
I feel like I read somewhere that it was incredibly unlikely we get expanded scores for the ST because, due to being recorded in the US, they'd have to pay out the butt for royalties or licensing or some such (as opposed to the Solo score which was recorded in London)

On top of that, I get the feeling the except was recorded for something that didn't make it into the film regardless, so knowing JJ and LFL, that's another strike against it ever popping up somewhere.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
My SW Celebration Store Order came in this morning. Was hoping they'd throw in the 4 Day Pass like I had originally bought but the Ahsoka art on the kids pass makes up for it

image0.jpg

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
I've spent the last several weeks binging Clone Wars. I rewatched AOTC and ROTS for the first time since they came out (spoiler: they don't hold up lol), and tonight especially I just watched the last 4 episodes of CW.

I am drained lol. Despite knowing how the prequels end, the tension of CW was unbearable. Excellent use of dramatic irony. Those mediocre first 3 seasons were worth enduring to get to the last 3.

Rebels and Resistance will be next up on the menu, before I delve into the comics and books. First up a rewatch of Solo and Rogue One. Also haven't rewatched these movies since they first released.

Today I also dug out the old Episode 1 Visual Dictionary, good reading! (wtf, how did I not know there was another alien from Yoda's species called Yaddle!?)

Got Star Wars on the brain 24/7 lately. I blame Jon Favreau.

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017
I've spent the last several weeks binging Clone Wars. I rewatched AOTC and ROTS for the first time since they came out (spoiler: they don't hold up lol), and tonight especially I just watched the last 4 episodes of CW.

I am drained lol. Despite knowing how the prequels end, the tension of CW was unbearable. Excellent use of dramatic irony. Those mediocre first 3 seasons were worth enduring to get to the last 3.

Rebels and Resistance will be next up on the menu, before I delve into the comics and books. First up a rewatch of Solo and Rogue One. Also haven't rewatched these movies since they first released.

Today I also dug out the old Episode 1 Visual Dictionary, good reading! (wtf, how did I not know there was another alien from Yoda's species called Yaddle!?)

She's visible at the council in TPM.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona

Yaddle's confirmed playable in Lego Skywalker Saga.

Oct 25, 2017

The answer is the same answer for everything in that movie
I knew before I even clicked it would be some form of this:
Well, at face value it makes no sense and there were clearly better options available. But that's not what happened, so a writer later made up some new obscure detail that adds whatever the plot needed to make sense.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The answer is the same answer for everything in that entire movie
I knew before I even clicked it would be some form of this:
Well, at face value it makes no sense and there were clearly better options available. But that's not what happened, so a writer later made up some new obscure detail that adds whatever the plot needed to make sense.
I don't think it's that big of a deal like you and others make it out to be.

Most of the general audience isn't going to know or care about the inner workings of a starfighter. If something doesn't make sense to the hardcore fans then it's probably going to make sense later and we can only assume it does until we get the explanation. TROS, and Star Wars in general, isn't the only film that's had this "issue" of not explaining everything because really it doesn't have to due to it ultimately not being that important.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it's that big of a deal like you and others make it out to be.

Most of the general audience isn't going to know or care about the inner workings of a starfighter. If something doesn't make sense to the hardcore fans then it's probably going to make sense later and we can only assume it does until we get the explanation. TROS, and Star Wars in general, isn't the only film that's had this "issue" of not explaining everything because really it doesn't have to due to it ultimately not being that important.
did i say it was a big deal
it can be both dumb and not a big deal
i only commented because it was specifically brought up

Last edited:

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017

I still got my og Visual Dictionary from 1998. It's pre-prequel information so things like Boba Fett's origin are still a mystery and I think the Clone Wars only gets a single mention.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
I still got my og Visual Dictionary from 1998. It's pre-prequel information so things like Boba Fett's origin are still a mystery and I think the Clone Wars only gets a single mention.

Do you mean this one?

51R303WQHRL._SX393_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I've dug out the prequel dictionaries I own, plus 1998 OT, and am planning on getting the latest 'complete' dictionary from 2018. (I might get ST dictionaries, but am hesitant because...I hate the ST).

I also saw this book (published 2009) which looks right up my alley:

61ZnYUSRCcL._SX377_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Star Wars: The Essential Atlas is a galaxy-spanning trove of vital statistics and information ranging from the astronomical and geographical ("Systems, Sectors, Oversectors, and Regions") to the historical and political ("The Sith Empire" and "The Great Hyperspace War"). Encompassing the entire Star Wars canon, including all the films, and the Clone Wars television series, plus the novels, comic books, video games, and more, this volume is packed with dozens of detailed maps and charts, as well as pertinent data and accompanying facts on

- the Empire: its length and breadth, political regions, populations, trade routes, major attractions, and trouble spots
- the Clone Wars: the trajectory of this decisive conflict across the universe, data on key battles and major Loyalist and Separatist worlds
- the adventures of Han Solo: the heroic rogue's exploits throughout the galaxy-including his captaincy of the Millennium Falcon and his first, fateful meeting with Chewbacca-before his life-changing alliance with Luke Skywalker and Obi-Wan Kenobi
- the Sith Wars: the progression of the universal clash between the ancient Jedi Order, their dark side counterparts, and the Mandalorian warriors who fought against both orders
- and much, much more

From Hutt Space to the Unknown Regions, from the Knights of the Old Republic and Episode I to the Fate of the Jedi and Legacy era, Star Wars: The Essential Atlas is the ultimate gateway to space fantasy's most brilliantly imagined and endlessly intriguing galaxy.

I am enjoying this random SW binge I'm going through. Rewatched Solo for the first time today, and found it quite enjoyable with no expectations this time round.

I'm also listening to the prequel soundtracks for the first time. TPM was ok. AOTC less so. ROTS next up, and I think its going to be the best of the three. (gonna relisten to OT, but doubt anything's gonna knock ESB from the top spot)

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
Do you mean this one?

51R303WQHRL._SX393_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I've dug out the prequel dictionaries I own, plus 1998 OT, and am planning on getting the latest 'complete' dictionary from 2018. (I might get ST dictionaries, but am hesitant because...I hate the ST).

I also saw this book (published 2009) which looks right up my alley:

61ZnYUSRCcL._SX377_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I am enjoying this random SW binge I'm going through. Rewatched Solo for the first time today, and found it quite enjoyable with no expectations this time round.

I'm also listening to the prequel soundtracks for the first time. TPM was ok. AOTC less so. ROTS next up, and I think its going to be the best of the three. (gonna relisten to OT, but doubt anything's gonna knock ESB from the top spot)

Yes that is the one! It is kind of interesting to read through them as the canon has changed. I love all these reference books and guides. Don't forget the Incredible Cross-Section ones too!

On the topic of sountracks, I just listened to the Battle of Heroes track from Revenge of the Sith again and man, it's so so awesome and I wish the movie itself rose to the level of the music. You can practically hear the soul of the galaxy being rent apart.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Yes that is the one! It is kind of interesting to read through them as the canon has changed. I love all these reference books and guides. Don't forget the Incredible Cross-Section ones too!

On the topic of sountracks, I just listened to the Battle of Heroes track from Revenge of the Sith again and man, it's so so awesome and I wish the movie itself rose to the level of the music. You can practically hear the soul of the galaxy being rent apart.

I'm listening to ROTS and yeah it's great, definitely the best of the prequel soundtracks.

During my recent rewatch of ROTS one thing that kept sticking out to me was Lucas's incessant habit of just throwing shit at the screen constantly. Like, he just can't have two people having a conversation with one CG effect in the background, no he has to have fucking everything happening, droids, beasts, ships, and the result is I don't know wtf I'm supposed to look at.

I dislike the Anakin v Obi fight not just because it turns into a video game level, but even during that he can't help himself and has a droid glance at the two guys and look afraid of getting involved. In the middle of what's supposed to be a tragic conflict lol. Damnit George.

By contrast, the Mandalorian knows exactly how to make you focus on the right things, by not polluting the screen too much. Even Filoni gets it with his directorial debut.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
I'm listening to ROTS and yeah it's great, definitely the best of the prequel soundtracks.

During my recent rewatch of ROTS one thing that kept sticking out to me was Lucas's incessant habit of just throwing shit at the screen constantly. Like, he just can't have two people having a conversation with one CG effect in the background, no he has to have fucking everything happening, droids, beasts, ships, and the result is I don't know wtf I'm supposed to look at.

I dislike the Anakin v Obi fight not just because it turns into a video game level, but even during that he can't help himself and has a droid glance at the two guys and look afraid of getting involved. In the middle of what's supposed to be a tragic conflict lol. Damnit George.

By contrast, the Mandalorian knows exactly how to make you focus on the right things, by not polluting the screen too much. Even Filoni gets it with his directorial debut.

Yeah, you especially notice this in the Special Editions onward. There seems to be more and more "stuff" on the screen added each release. And you're exactly right, I think the prequels sort of rob the fall of Anakin Skywalker of a lot of the gravitas of the situation and that final duel is kind of emblematic of a lot of the issues (like turning the fight into a video game level as you mention). Ideally, it would've been an older style of duel but instead it's more like cirque du soleil at times with them swinging from wires and riding droids. But hey, if I close my eyes and just listen to the track, I can have my own duel in my head and its much better.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Ok, decided Anakin's Dark Deeds is my favourite track of the prequels. From the midway point it's amazing. Also love The Birth of the Twins, another track that kicks it up a notch halfway.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
The music was so amazing in Episode 3 that I even bought the official soundtrack of it from Walmart back in the day when the movie 1st released.

Oozer

Oct 25, 2017
That's gotta be Luke's green one.

Nice find!

That's Luke's second saber y'all.
2017-01-24-1485284268-7250620-Lightsaber1-thumb.jpeg

While Luke's green saber is extremely similar, I'm pretty sure the lightsaber in the art is patterned after Obi-Wan's final lightsaber. Luke's doesn't have the dark, ribbed section after the pommel and has a circuit board in the clamp while Obi-Wan's has a bubble strip. Here's Luke's saber:

aLIEjjL.jpg

And here's Obi-Wan's:

3c9H81g.jpg

That being said, its appearance in that art might not mean much. It certainly wouldn't be the first time an artist just used whatever lightsaber model they had laying around or liked in some concept art. For example, here's a piece of the Jedi Killer where he has five of the same saber:

Again, it looks similar to Obi-Wan's saber. Maybe there was just a nice model of that one laying around so it got used a bunch.