• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
Mon-Hun-Stories2-CCU.png

Monster Hunter Stories 2: Wings of Ruin released day 1 on PC with very bad to non existent regional pricing unlike Persona 4 Golden that released for $20 a decade after its Vita version and FFXV releasing 2 years after its console release with regional pricing.

I guess Day 1 releases have a more positive impact than later port releases huh? Who could've thought?

Edit: Seems like the Final number is 33,464 for the concurrent players for Stories 2.

Source: SteamDB and Steam Stats Pages

Last edited:

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
Steam loves MH and this being Day 1 release there makes these numbers not surprising (but great numbers anyways) - nice to see it being rewarded. Wonder what big JRPG IPs could pull of if they would release simultanous.

overtoncanon

Mar 14, 2021
Not surprising we just do not have many instances of popular jrpgs releasing on pc day 1 outside of a select few post 2015. Imagine how high FF16 or 7R steam numbers could be if either were simultaneous release on console and pc.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That is actually surprising.

This game is going to demolish that ~1m target they had between Switch and Steam.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
I swear to god, this franchise is so much bigger than most people assume, and eventually the devs will release an entry in the series that finally nails everything and it will catapult Monster Hunter to god-tier status. That's how much potential it has, and how much the lack of a decent UI/UX, sensible tutorials, and modern focus on quest design is holding it back.

There was another game about roaming between villages taking on monster hunting contracts, tracking them down, getting into epic battles, then strolling back to the village for your reward. Released in 2015 and is considered one of the best RPGs ever made (granted story was the bigger focus there, not monster hunts). With enough care, I've no doubt Monster Hunter can hit those highs. It's such a fantastic gameplay loop that's just missing the AAA QOL and streamlining to tie it all together. It's still too caught up in gamifying and sectioning individual hunts, rather than giving the world space to breathe.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
That is actually surprising.

It is but at the same time this shows how supporting a platform from day one without exclusivity bullshit is a much better strategy than doing what Square Enix has been doing for years at this point.

Capcom and From Software understood this while the other jpn devs are still trying to figure out how to maximize their PC sales.

People are more willing to spend 60 bucks if the game is launching day one than waiting 1 year or more and still paying full price.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And it keeps growing. Extremely successful return of the Stories IP by Capcom. I expect it to sell beyond two millions between both platforms it's on.
MbOYfov.png

Oct 31, 2017
Meanwhile Ys IX is barely clinging inside the top 100 of global sellers despise launching pretty much at the same time on Steam.

Maybe NISA should start reconsidering their pricing policies.
Just saying.

I'm somewhat of a mild Ys fan, but I'm not going to pay 60 euros for that game.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
That's indeed surprising, considering is a spin-off and the price isn't exactly friendly to poorer regions.

It's probably due to the combination of MH World popularity and pre-release demo.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Whoa, that's unexpected and cool.

I was so pleasantly surprised by my time with the demo that I splurged for the full game just ahead of release and haven't regretted it at all.... and I got the far, far inferior Switch version (with poor performance, sadly not a drastic difference image quality wise outside of resolution).

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
On Steam, it launched two days ago. Which is what matters for Steam sales.

I know that, I bought it.

The premise of the OP is that concurrent releases matter. So it not doing well, in addition to the pricing issues you mentioned, is not helped by releasing 6 months later devoid of its launch marketing.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I'm just pleased to see the increased visibility and multiplat launch combined with the demo meaning more people give it a shot.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
There's a fast growing JRPG userbase on Steam.
But some big publishers are just too dumb and leaving money on the table. We're at a point where, on Steam, many niche IPs are bigger than Final Fantasy. Yet Square-Enix is killing its IP potential on the platform.
Code Vein also had a 33k peak CCU.
Scarlet Nexus had a 15k peak CCU.

If Square-Enix and SEGA actually released the good stuff there day and date, they'd actually see some very surprising numbers, and some very high ones at that.

dom

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
How can you confer being a day 1 release is significant when there's the other two examples? Not to mention if P4G came day 1 with the Vita version, it wouldn't be anywhere near that all-time peak.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It is but at the same time this shows how supporting a platform from day one without exclusivity bullshit is a much better strategy than doing what Square Enix has been doing for years at this point.

Capcom and From Software understood this while the other jpn devs are still trying to figure out how to maximize their PC sales.

People are more willing to spend 60 bucks if the game is launching day one than waiting 1 year or more and still paying full price.

Sure but it's not like MHS2 is the first RPG to launch on Steam simultaneously either. It's doing above and beyond everything else.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
How can you confer being a day 1 release is significant when there's the other two examples?

The two other exemples ?
You mean, how can you confer a niche JRPG IP outselling two major JRPG IPs ?

It actually means day 1 release is very important.

Sure but it's not like MHS2 is the first RPG to launch on Steam simultaneously either. It's doing above and beyond everything else.

Code Vein did better. But the userbase is growing, that's a fact.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How can you confer being a day 1 release is significant when there's the other two examples?

The fact that MH Stories manages to perform higher than Final Fantasy and Persona, when those two are much bigger IPs (compared to Stories) shows that day 1 release is extremely helpful on Steam.

It's not the only factor though. Growing popularity of the main series, good port that works on cheaper specs, good twitch coverage, lots of recent marketing, it all helped it.

OP
OP
AshenOne

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
How can you confer being a day 1 release is significant when there's the other two examples? Not to mention if P4G came day 1 with the Vita version, it wouldn't be anywhere near that all-time peak.
I said Day 1 releases on PC matter or STEAM for that matter.. I can't speak for the Vita since idk much about that platform that i have no experience with but potentially Day 1 releases on PC definitely can and do sell more than if launched much later...

Day 1 releases help customers in choosing the games launching day 1 and if it releases later then either they're played it on another platform or playing other games so they can't find the time to play it when it launches later OR they just want to wait for a deeper discount if lt launches later..

dom

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The fact that MH Stories manages to perform higher than Final Fantasy and Persona, when those two are much bigger IPs (compared to Stories) shows that day 1 release is extremely helpful on Steam.

It's not the only factor though. Growing popularity of the main series, good port that works on cheaper specs, good twitch coverage, lots of recent marketing, it all helped it.
The IP is Monster Hunter and that is far larger than Persona. It's the strongest it's ever been.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
The IP is Monster Hunter and that is far larger than Persona. It's the strongest it's ever been.

The IP is Monster Hunter and even when it was far larger than Persona, Monster Hunter Stories didn't set charts on fire. The main IP is big, not the susbsequent releases.
But there's also Code Vein, at 33k.

dom

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I said Day 1 releases on PC matter or STEAM for that matter.. I can't speak for the Vita since idk much about that platform that i have no experience with but potentially Day 1 releases on PC definitely can and do sell more than if launched much later...
What I was saying was that if P4G released on PC the same time as the Vita version, it wouldn't have anywhere near that all-time peak.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah since when is something with the name "Monster Hunter" in it niche?

The massive success of World is responsible for this boost for sure and Rise is going to do big numbers as well despite not being day one.

OP
OP
AshenOne

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
What I was saying was that if P4G released on PC the same time as the Vita version, it wouldn't have anywhere near that all-time peak.
Well i guess it depends on how much PC grew as a platform for JP games. Obviously a decade ago, P4G no.'s on PC wouldn't be anywhere near what they were today but day 1 means that customers buy it when a product is fresh - which matters A LOT. Several factors can come into play which make the customer not buy it when its a late LATE port.

Now these days PC is ripe for JP games so the situation is way different than it was a decade ago and Day 1 releases only fortify the mindset of PC gamers that they're treated equally as compared to their console counterparts and even if its full price, they're not made to buy and play it at a much later date. I think that matters a lot. A fresh product is a much better consumption target in this case than a delayed one for several reasons..

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017

The massive success of World is responsible for this boost for sure and Rise is going to do big numbers as well despite not being day one.

Why wasn't MH Stories 1 big ? Because, yeah, MH was big before World too.
On top of that, MH Stories isn't MH. Spin-off aren't as big as main entries.
Also: Code Vein.

Funny enough, the original Monster Hunter Stories was seen as a commercial disappointment, especially as it coincided with an anime tie-in that was universally ignored. The late release outside of Japan meant that it was a 3DS game that came out after the Switch had launched, and we all know how those went, but in Japan itself, it wound up crawling to over 300k, which was well under expectations. There's a lot of reasons why that happened (released too late in the life cycle of the hardware and arguably went too kiddy for the art direction on a franchise that already had a lot of young fans as it is being the two big ones, IMO), but it was nevertheless the first taste of under-performance that the series had experienced at that point for a game that had serious money pumped into it.

Great start to Stories 2, to say the least. Despite the 50 million trailers Capcom cut for the game, it seems like they really nailed the appeal this time with the more mature art direction and, from what it sounds like, a really well optimized PC port that can get massive results on even meager hardware, to go with the stuff the game already got right with the strong gameplay and the charm oozing out of every pore with how it respects damn near everything important to what makes Monster Hunter Monster Hunter.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Another one from Capcom, they are on a roll.

Switch version will do very well too. It is tracking well in several key territories.