• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scotch

Oct 28, 2017
Wondering if I should just eat the losses on PLUG. I'm not too confident about it on short to medium term.

Necron

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Hello StockEra,
I've been involved in stocks for about 2 years now and so far only engaged in buy-and-hold in a few safe bets. Very recently together with the bank, I created a moderate-risk/return portfolio and this to be managed by them.

I think to know the basics and I would love to make some investment decisions myself again. Is there an "interactive learning tool" that would help with making sure I actually know the basics and perhaps learn some stuff beyond that? I only found this:

The Stock Market Game

Has anyone used this or something similar/better?

Shadout

Oct 27, 2017
So... J&J vaccine halted in US. And J&J halting delivery to Europe. This could turn into quite the mess. Lockdown stocks are hot again ^^ Might also offer some better prices for post-corona stocks.

chuckddd

Oct 25, 2017
Wondering if I should just eat the losses on PLUG. I'm not too confident about it on short to medium term.
I have this 'should I continue to lose money when I could be making money' argument with myself all the time. There are a few things that I own that I don't care what they do short term because I'm going long and have a high conviction in them. Is PLUG one of those for you? That's the question you need to answer.

Oct 30, 2017
Amazon is on a rise lately, maybe it can reach it's ATH again after half a year of doing nothing lol (not that I care that much I'm long term)

There was a 21-month period from Aug 2018 to April 2020 when it was basically flat until it shot up with COVID.

OP
OP
Sheepinator

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Hello StockEra,
I've been involved in stocks for about 2 years now and so far only engaged in buy-and-hold in a few safe bets. Very recently together with the bank, I created a moderate-risk/return portfolio and this to be managed by them.

I think to know the basics and I would love to make some investment decisions myself again. Is there an "interactive learning tool" that would help with making sure I actually know the basics and perhaps learn some stuff beyond that? I only found this:

The Stock Market Game

Has anyone used this or something similar/better?
Do you mean paper trading? I know ThinkorSwim has that, and I expect many others do also. It sounds like you probably know a lot of the basics, however maybe the investopedia site has some of the education you're looking for.

Necron

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Do you mean paper trading? I know ThinkorSwim has that, and I expect many others do also. It sounds like you probably know a lot of the basics, however maybe the investopedia site has some of the education you're looking for.
This sounds like a good option to test out and learn stuff via their paperMoney program:
tickertape.tdameritrade.com

You Have Nothing to Lose When Playing With paperMoney® - Ticker Tape

You know what they day: practice makes perfect! Improve your trading skills by practicing with thinkorswim's paperMoney.

I think I'll give this a try this evening.

Mentally and Financially Ready to Flip the Switch? Paper Trading vs. Live Trading Accounts - Ticker Tape

Have you been paper trading on a simulator? Is it time for the real deal? It’s not just about money; it’s also about emotion. Here’s what you should know about paper trading vs. live trading.
Also a good article.

chuckddd

Oct 25, 2017
It's a direct listing, not an ipo, so everyone should theoretically get a chance at it. It's probably going to start way out of my price range, though.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
The melt up right now. 👀

SPY Daily Chart:
ZZt8blG.png

QQQ Daily Chart:

2oYXb3r.png

IGV Daily Chart:

URikcpl.png

Question is...are we in the process of some sort of blow off top or is it time for the IWM to catch up soon while the other indices chill out a bit?

IWM Daily chart:

YNOp4XG.png

One thing to remember about the QQQ, SPY, and IGV daily charts: They are pretty stretched right now above the 20 day moving average. So even if they come drop lower, like 3 to 5 percent, it may not be a market crumble yet. They are just coming back to their 20 day moving averages. Start closing consistently below the 20 day, then perhaps can start thinking lower.

Last edited:

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone with Fidelity have the credit card through them? It's 2% back on what you spend on everything and they deposit it right into your account. I know some cards offer more cash back on select services but 2% across the board seems pretty solid.

before anyone asks we pay all of credit cards in full each month

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone with Fidelity have the credit card through them? It's 2% back on what you spend on everything and they deposit it right into your account. I know some cards offer more cash back on select services but 2% across the board seems pretty solid.

before anyone asks we pay all of credit cards in full each month
I don't have it, but yes 2% back in general is solid. It ties the best card I know in that category which is the citi double cashback card. Others do better in select cats, and some have rotating cats that do 5% back ect, but if you are looking for just a simple way to get money back then yeah flat 2% back is solid.

We also have a thread for credit card stuff
www.resetera.com

Credit Card Rewards Thread OT

I've been mostly a Debit Card guy. I did own a credit card to keep my credit score up. But wanting to maximize my travel, a huge interest and hobby of mine, I started to look into reward credit cards. So apparently there's a huge travel hacking community online. These are people who min/max...

if you wanted to talk to other people about it :)

chuckddd

Oct 25, 2017
PLTR exploded. Will probably deflate tomorrow.

Wonder if the great BioTech migration is over or if today is just because of the J&J vaccine.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
I don't have it, but yes 2% back in general is solid. It ties the best card I know in that category which is the citi double cashback card. Others do better in select cats, and some have rotating cats that do 5% back ect, but if you are looking for just a simple way to get money back then yeah flat 2% back is solid.

We also have a thread for credit card stuff
www.resetera.com

Credit Card Rewards Thread OT

I've been mostly a Debit Card guy. I did own a credit card to keep my credit score up. But wanting to maximize my travel, a huge interest and hobby of mine, I started to look into reward credit cards. So apparently there's a huge travel hacking community online. These are people who min/max...

if you wanted to talk to other people about it :)

ooh thanks yeah I may do that. Guess we have communities for everything.

I like the idea of not trying to buy stuff in certain categories/stores to get special rates. I looked at what the other cards offer and they didn't appeal to me as much. I'd probably make more total just going with the flat 2%

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
There's few things certain in life... and it's that Coinbase is easily doubling from that $250 listed price

OP
OP
Sheepinator

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
I closed out my 4/30 GME puts for a pitiful profit. Six big down days in a row and today ended flat after recovering from the low, and time is against the puts now. I'll be looking out for another opportunity.

Necron

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
This sounds like a good option to test out and learn stuff via their paperMoney program:

You Have Nothing to Lose When Playing With paperMoney® - Ticker Tape

You know what they day: practice makes perfect! Improve your trading skills by practicing with thinkorswim's paperMoney.

I think I'll give this a try this evening.

Mentally and Financially Ready to Flip the Switch? Paper Trading vs. Live Trading Accounts - Ticker Tape

Have you been paper trading on a simulator? Is it time for the real deal? It’s not just about money; it’s also about emotion. Here’s what you should know about paper trading vs. live trading.
Also a good article.

In relation to my previous post, the program is really good after trying it out last evening and if you intend to use their sinkorswim program, it's a great introduction:

In terms of learning, there are perhaps better... Wall Street Survivor has learning materials that are better integrated I find:
app.wallstreetsurvivor.com

Wall Street Survivor

Fantasy stock market game provides virtual online trading of the stock market while you learn to invest. Manage $100,000 with paper trading while competing for Cash Prizes using our stock game. A great way to learn how to invest and how to buy stocks.
I think I'll play around with this some more over the coming days before putting it into practice.

Last edited:

Rei Toei

Nov 8, 2017
Curious to hear where you guys stand on CDPR. Lot of value went up in smoke with the Cyberpunk fiasco, but I can't help but think they have a good chance of doing a lot better with a new Witcher game. Friend of mine bought and sold a lot of CDPR the last 9 months or so but I think he's out currently.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Curious to hear where you guys stand on CDPR. Lot of value went up in smoke with the Cyberpunk fiasco, but I can't help but think they have a good chance of doing a lot better with a new Witcher game. Friend of mine bought and sold a lot of CDPR the last 9 months or so but I think he's out currently.
I played around with it when it dropped into the mid 50€ and sold it off in the low 70s.

They canceled the MP cyberpunk game which would have been a great boost for the financials.

The PR hit has been huge, new revenue boosts are likely years away so i don't really see a lot of value in it right now.

If things go really bad i could see them get acquired by a bigger company

Oct 25, 2017
Why the big sell offs of MARA and RIOT? People planning to put that money towards Coinbase instead?

Definitely through the roof but in the opposite direction.

Dracil

Oct 30, 2017
Why the big sell offs of MARA and RIOT? People planning to put that money towards Coinbase instead?

Definitely through the roof but in the opposite direction.

BTC just dropped.

I suspect all BTC related stuff, including Coinbase will follow BTC's volatility. So the next two years will be painful per the BTC cycle.

Crypto all pumped with the expected Coinbase IPO but I feel we're in the sell the news phase with the pending actual IPO

Status
Not open for further replies.