• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chuckddd

Oct 25, 2017
Lots of questions:

Will NVidia actually acquire ARM? Will Intel pull their heads out of their collective asses and make a new architecture? Can AMD continue to penetrate the server market? Who will benefit from the US trying to move more manufacturing stateside? etc etc etc

Eggiem

Oct 27, 2017
Lots of questions:

Will NVidia actually acquire ARM? Will Intel pull their heads out of their collective asses and make a new architecture? Can AMD continue to penetrate the server market? Who will benefit from the US trying to move more manufacturing stateside? etc etc etc
Split on July 19. Much time for another deep sale until then.

OP
OP
Sheepinator

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
S&P so far failing to stay over that 4180 resistance.

SeeuMPRC

Nasdaq can hopefully hold that 13,400 level, to set up a run back to 13,800.

QR9jVTeS

kazinova

Oct 27, 2017
It doesn't matter how much TA I look at. It always look like the trading equivalent of the daily horoscope.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't matter how much TA I look at. It always look like the trading equivalent of the daily horoscope.
Hahahaha, yeah it can be overwhelming. There are many different ways to do it. There isn't one certain way. Plenty of valid methods, just try some out and see which way works with you best.

One way to start is basically to look at charts as a series of levels. Or even "boxes" or "rectangles" so to speak. They consolidate in one box then move to the next box, either up or down. Then they consolidate in that level some more, and make a move either up or down where they will consolidate again in the next box.

I drew these boxes pretty quickly on the draft kings daily chart.

3jlVKiC.png

I didn't do a thorough check, but basically what you want to do is connect as many points together at the top and bottom of each box. Those are usually important pivot areas that can act as resistance if below and support if above.

Once you get used to the bigger boxes, then you can start looking for smaller boxes (support and resistance) within these bigger boxes. Something to look for as a starting point, and then you can build off from there into other things to expand.

Last edited:

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Tesla is in the good ol Bubbles & Mania chart. Yes I often post this.

siG7Ris.jpg

8pfGw9Q.jpg

Bitcoin seems to be in the bull trap, although I thought so already a few months ago. We'll see.

Oct 27, 2017
I would buy a lot of Tesla at despair prices. I'd probably be trying to be underneath the falling knife of anything below 450. If it were like 200? Come on.

Oct 25, 2017

new from cathie wood!
Interestingly, the biggest beneficiaries of the rotation toward cyclicals during the past six months have been the two sectors that we believe will be disrupted the most by innovation during the next five years: Energy and Financial Services. Energy has returned 77.67% since September 30 and 39.06% year-to-date while the Financial Services sector has returned 56.17% and 26.77%, respectively, well above the 23.57% and 10.19% returns, respectively, delivered by the S&P 500.[3] In our view, autonomous electric vehicles and digital wallets, including cryptocurrencies and the decentralized financial services (DeFI) associated more broadly with blockchain technologies, will disrupt and disintermediate both Energy and Financial Services significantly during the next five years.
she sounds like she's going to be cast away as an outcast by end of the year lmao

Eggiem

Oct 27, 2017
A cautionary tale:

www.resetera.com

Pulled out of my addiction of gambling stocks/crypto. Total loss is 70k(69%, poetic)

Started doing stocks when covid hit and was an idiot day trading and fomoing. Alway DCA into things and got lucky with EV before biden came in and AMC things then slowly went downhill again. FOMO into crypto this past month and then went mega down...decided that it's my best interest to get out...
Also interesting to go back to this thread from May 2
www.resetera.com

Charlie Munger calls bitcoin 'disgusting and contrary to the interests of civilization' News

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/05/01/charlie-munger-calls-bitcoin-disgusting-and-contrary-to-the-interests-of-civilization.html Seems old money hates new money. But he is right about it being highly unstable.

chuckddd

Oct 25, 2017
I peruse the crypto thread every so often, but I can't post in there. It's like a fomo religion. Lots of people are going to lose lots of money.

I only post in here with my level-headed friends. lol

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I find it really amazing how much obvious spam isn't auto-banned by Twitter. You have countless accounts with the same fake user name posting the exact same link to some random site. Twitter either doesn't care or has really poor spam detection.

Thankfully I can ban words, but I wish they activated some AI filter and let users decide the threshold of blocking themselves, that way they can't blame Twitter for posts not being visible, they could just move the slider. It should be present in the top of the UI.

Another thing is I should be able to block seeing posts from accounts that have certain words in them, not just in the posts.

Rayasab

Banned
Apr 12, 2021
I peruse the crypto thread every so often, but I can't post in there. It's like a fomo religion. Lots of people are going to lose lots of money.

Hope this guy didn't go all in at ath
www.resetera.com

I want to go all in on crypto

That is I want to throw all my liquid assets into ethereum and stake it. The interest will sustain me. My job will provide me with normal cash which I'll keep a small amount to pay bills for. The rest I wanna throw into ethereum. Tell me why I this is a dumb plan. Edit: Sorry about the...
Bet Elon jacked up his security, lots of cryptomaniacs threatening him on twitter

Dopsi

Oct 30, 2017
not in crypto atm but now im worried this selloff in crypto is going to cause a sell off in stocks >_>

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
not in crypto atm but now im worried this selloff in crypto is going to cause a sell off in stocks >_>

Probably a bad omen. But that signal has been flared in the sky for a long time already. Pumping one of my earlier posts in this thread haha:

www.resetera.com

Stock Market Era |OT2| Taking SPY private at $420. Funding secured. OT

Are there any believers left in PLTR? My stocks have been comatose for 5 months now.

Still applies, most everything still looks very stretched. Though every potential disaster has been saved so far. I haven't done anything yet than watch closely for a potential sign of a larger turn coming. Just due to the nature of how stretched a lot of things look.

I think crypto is a good reminder for everyone. Things can go much higher than most expect on the upswing. When they turn though, they can also go much lower than most expect. Charts that go straight vertical are usually not sustainable, because when they turn there is no true support for long ways back down.

Last edited:

Rayasab

Banned
Apr 12, 2021
Probably a bad omen. But that signal has been flared in the sky for a long time already. Pumping one of my earlier posts in this thread haha:

www.resetera.com

Stock Market Era |OT2| Taking SPY private at $420. Funding secured. OT

Are there any believers left in PLTR? My stocks have been comatose for 5 months now.

Still applies, most everything still looks very stretched. Though every potential disaster has been saved so far. I haven't done anything yet than watch closely for a potential sign of a larger turn coming. Just due to the nature of how stretched a lot of things look.

I think crypto is a good reminder for everyone. Things can go much higher than most expect on the upswing. When they turn though, they can also go much lower than most expect. Charts that go straight vertical are usually not sustainable, because when they turn there is no true support for long ways back down.
Hopefully this next, i want to buy a home
median-sale-price-market-tracker.png

chuckddd

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone here trade/own gold? Any ideas how to do that without paying tremendous fees?

Still applies, most everything still looks very stretched. Though every potential disaster has been saved so far. I haven't done anything yet than watch closely for a potential sign of a larger turn coming.
I put in a stop-loss for almost everything I own. Does that count as doing something?

Oct 28, 2017
California
I'm glad I ultimately decided to stay the fuck away from crypto.

Also very glad to have read Ramit Sethi's book. Match the 401k contribution and beef up the Roth IRA first before investing in other securities, although FOMO gets real sometimes (which is why no more than 30% of each paycheck goes toward investing, it serves as a safeguard so I don't go overboard).

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully this next, i want to buy a home
median-sale-price-market-tracker.png

Yeah that doesn't look sustainable long term. Though I don't follow the housing market too closely. I think it needs more supply at the moment? If supply stays low, prices can stay high. If anything though the prices this year could be a new baseline. Looking at that chart, while it dipped, over the last decade, it never went negative year over year. Unless I'm reading that chart wrong.

Does anyone here trade/own gold? Any ideas how to do that without paying tremendous fees?

I put in a stop-loss for almost everything I own. Does that count as doing something?

I have a position in the GLD ETF, which tracks gold.

For your stop loss, that can work. Stop loss can be dependent on so many different factors. Like how much are you up and what price you are willing to sell at. How much a dip you are willing to eat. How closely you are watching the stock price. I still do some stop losses for stocks once in awhile when I can't watch them, but normally I don't anymore since those trading computers see every stop loss price in the system. Then they can spike below a pivot temporarily, steal your stop loss, and then pump the price back up. So most of the time now I have a mental stop price in my head. Where, if I'm home, I'll probably sell if price closes below a certain price level on hourly close (Starting at 9:30 eastern open, so 10:30 eastern is the first hourly close). If not home, then I'll usually use the same metric but have it be on a daily close. Or I'll set an alert at a certain price that will pop up on my phone via Trading View, so I'll be aware. I'm not saying stop losses are bad though. They can definitely do well to protect. But they get sniped all the time. Which I've learned from experience on having it happen over and over hah.

One balancing act you can set up for a stop loss is use Average True range (or listed as ATR sometimes). Which then shows the normal price fluctuation for a stock depending on what time period you are looking at. So for example, if we were using the daily time period and the average true range on a random stock is 62 cents, and the pivot area is at 17, you could set the stop loss at something like 16.30. Because these computers know the average true range, and this is how they snipe those stops from people who don't know what the ATR is. They will set their stop at like 16.70 off that 17 dollar pivot without realizing the ATR is 62 cents. Because if the price is going below the ATR on the downside, usually this is a signal of a bigger drop incoming. With anything, this isn't 100% effective all the time.

Last edited:

chuckddd

Oct 25, 2017
There's a volitility index for btc and ether. Currently at 130 and 186 ffs. They both tend to run pretty hot, though.

MrBob

I should've said stop sells, and they are way down (20+%), just to avoid losing everything jic there's a crash. I seriously doubt (hope) they'll ever get used. The idea being that I'd just buy back in a few days later. File that under 'lessons from the covid crash'.

I'll take a look at some gold etf's, including that one. Thanks for that.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The next big crypto crazy will be some Tamagochi thing. There will be some app(s) for virtual pets with virtual habitats. There will be "drops", like Pugglebug has five color variants, released in association with some event like some TV show announcement trailer, "Mark history with one of five Pugglebug unique variants!". And then some drops that are totally unique, like Pugglebee, there's only one version! Released at some T-Doug concert or whatever. And you can see them in their little VR environment.

And then you can get them to fight others and stream the fights and get donations during the fights, whoever racks up more donations wins as the attacks are fueled by donations.

Oh no.

chuckddd

Oct 25, 2017
The next big crypto crazy will be some Tamagochi thing. There will be some app(s) for virtual pets with virtual habitats. There will be "drops", like Pugglebug has five color variants, released in association with some event like some TV show announcement trailer, "Mark history with one of five Pugglebug unique variants!". And then some drops that are totally unique, like Pugglebee, there's only one version! Released at some T-Doug concert or whatever. And you can see them in their little VR environment.

And then you can get them to fight others and stream the fights and get donations during the fights, whoever racks up more donations wins as the attacks are fueled by donations.

Oh no.
How do I get in on the ground floor of your genius ponzi scheme?

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017

Oh no.
Pretty sure this was done in the last crypto rush ~2017, Cryptokitties and the like. (the creators of which went on to make NBA Topshot)

NetMapel

Oct 25, 2017

Oh no.
www.cryptokitties.co

CryptoKitties | Collect and breed digital cats!

Collect and trade CryptoKitties in one of the world’s first blockchain games. Breed your rarest cats to create the purrfect furry friend. The future is meow!

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
Cryptokitties, love it. 😍

MrBob

I should've said stop sells, and they are way down (20+%), just to avoid losing everything jic there's a crash. I seriously doubt (hope) they'll ever get used. The idea being that I'd just buy back in a few days later. File that under 'lessons from the covid crash'.

I'll take a look at some gold etf's, including that one. Thanks for that.

👍

Jun 10, 2018
That confession thread really shows how investors are just buying what others say are good buys rather than investing in equities they both understand and believe in.

Like, I know we often lament the downward trend of green energy stocks recently ITT, but I'm pretty sure most here understand an ETF like ICLN (for example) is more of a long-term holding with some short-term profit viability, rather than the other way around.

Deleted member 8118

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

I posted in there for a little while, even trading a bit which helped me
I tried to speak with a bit of rationale and correct misinformation, but I just gave up.

I'm staying away from it from now on.

Smash-It Stan

Oct 25, 2017
Really enjoyed the last week, every day is very VERY small gains but I'll take this sideways movement any day over constant craziness over the past few months.

come on baby i need a fire sale this deposit has just been sitting here gathering dust!

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
A cautionary tale:

www.resetera.com

Pulled out of my addiction of gambling stocks/crypto. Total loss is 70k(69%, poetic)

Started doing stocks when covid hit and was an idiot day trading and fomoing. Alway DCA into things and got lucky with EV before biden came in and AMC things then slowly went downhill again. FOMO into crypto this past month and then went mega down...decided that it's my best interest to get out...
To be honest this was a great thread to read just to expand my list of Era users who I know will pump stocks/crypto at any cost. Can't believe we had people in that thread trying to give OP FOMO on Cypto when the OP said they realized it was a gambling addiction.

Raticus79

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
To be honest this was a great thread to read just to expand my list of Era users who I know will pump stocks/crypto at any cost. Can't believe we had people in that thread trying to give OP FOMO on Cypto when the OP said they realized it was a gambling addiction.

Yeah, that was shameful.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. Like I don't mind giving out investing advice to people if they ask but I always start with the same few rules.
stock/crypto is effectively gambling.
you can lose it all, there is no guaranteed winners, if there was we would all be rich.
You should only invest money you can afford to lose all of.

before I give any other advice with clauses that I can only advise to the best of my ability and I'm far from an expert. Like I actively told people to stay away from GME as it was too risky. How the hell was I supposed to know that not only would it legitimately blast past $100 again so getting in when it dropped back down to $40 wasn't too late but it would stay over it and not just instantly crash back down hard? Everything about it screamed a pump and dump scheme... I mean... hell I still don't understand why GME is worth $180 as I type this out >.<.

Status
Not open for further replies.