• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

When will NVDA's market cap overtake AAPL?

• During March-May (earnings in May)

Votes: 5 25.0%
  • During June-August (earnings in August)

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • During September-November (earnings in November)

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • During December-February '25 (earnings in February '25)

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Not in the next year, you shall not pass!

Votes: 6 30.0%
  • #TeamApple back to #1 this CY, fly you fools!

Votes: 3 15.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
ARKK is down a lot, so I try not to make fun of ARK, but their researchers make it so, so tough with those kinds of projections. I'm starting to think ARK is just one big grift.

M1 is pretty cool. I started an account recently with a small amount of funding just to play with the pies. I don't know why anyone would pay Cathie Wood for ARKK when they could recreate something similar with a M1 account with her top holdings. Heck you could create a Pie at M1 that takes out all the garbage holdings ARK has, and keep the couple good ones.

Seven straight down weeks for SPY and QQQ, but Friday's late day short covering rally did allow both to close above last week's low. While SPY and QQQ did make another intrwaeek low, this was the first time in seven weeks we had a close above the previous week's low. A small positive divergence. If some of this forced liquadation that made the market slowly crash over the last seven weeks is done, then perhaps we can actually get a bounce here.

Nvidia earnings this upcoming week. Big event to try and stop the pain for Nvidia investors. I want to see if Nvidia talks about their Ampere inventory, and if they have to start taking losses here. These Ampere cards are starting to sell under MSRP, and the rumors are stores are now flooded with these cards. With a new generation incoming, why pay anything close to MSRP for Ampere card right now? Especially since one can argue the MSRP for a lot of these cards are inflated.

Last edited:

chuckddd

Oct 25, 2017
I think eventually, ARK and Cathie will be proven to have been correct about the future. I'm not sure the funds will be around to see it, though.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
My main thing with them is that they are rather small. Like 10% the size of the bigger players.

There have also been (admittedly unsubstantiated) rumours of options and orders being delayed compared to others.

And supposedly they have random outages when there's large volume.

One other main thing - I don't know if they have a support line yet.
Gotcha.

I mostly do ETFs, but want to get into stock picking on top of that (long term), especially with this seemingly coming bear market. Get some deals lol.

I'm building a small portfolio at the moment.

Deleted member 70788

Jun 2, 2020
Gotcha.

I mostly do ETFs, but want to get into stock picking on top of that (long term), especially with this seemingly coming bear market. Get some deals lol.

I'm building a small portfolio at the moment.
Many are soured on them due to them having some shady practices during the GameStop fiasco as well. They were shutting down trade when no one else was, freezing accounts in the middle of the day, etc.

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
Many are soured on them due to them having some shady practices during the GameStop fiasco as well. They were shutting down trade when no one else was, freezing accounts in the middle of the day, etc.
I've been using the Cash app so far. But it's kinda limited. TDAmericatrade looks more fully featured.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
I've been using the Cash app so far. But it's kinda limited. TDAmericatrade looks more fully featured.
Vanguard, Fidelity, Charles Schwab, and TD Ameritrade are generally the biggest/best. Most have adapted to the low cost of entry and have good fund options. I'm in Charles Schwab for my taxable account and Fidelity for my company 401k/HSA/Roth. I like both a lot.

I've looked around SoFi's and I'm not really impressed yet. They have a ways to go on providing a full-featured investing platform.

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
Vanguard, Fidelity, Charles Schwab, and TD Ameritrade are generally the biggest/best. Most have adapted to the low cost of entry and have good fund options. I'm in Charles Schwab for my taxable account and Fidelity for my company 401k/HSA/Roth.
I do have Vanguard for my Roth, so I may just go there.

My issue with these older firms, is that their UIs do leave a lot to be desired. I use Vanguard and have used Fidelity with another job, so I know. Can't speak on Schwab.

I'm not surprised why Robinhood, Stash, and the like have eaten their lunch with the younger set.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
I do have Vanguard for my Roth, so I may just go there.

My issue with these older firms, is that their UIs do leave a lot to be desired. I use Vanguard and have used Fidelity with another job, so I know. Can't speak on Schwab.

I'm not surprised why Robinhood, Stash, and the like have eaten their lunch with the younger set.

Vanguard - I hate their interface and lack of details on the 401k side of things. So I never even considered it.

I was at eScottTrade that got bought over by TDAmeritrade. TDAmeritrade's UI is not very 'modern' but I really like how many tools they have available.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
Starting to look into Okta. Has anyone been buying this? Also started looking at Blackrock.

Uber is also massively discounted.

Still anticipating a Costco purchase if that can sink lower to around $380ish.

NVDA... I started buying at $164 and $158 last week... will continue to averaging down.

CRM, a wide-moat stock continues to be cheap as hell and still gradually falling.

Then there's of course all of FAANG and Microsoft...

FlexMentallo

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Los Angeles
On the brokerage front I use Interactive Brokers for personal and IRA, with my 401k is in Fidelity. Used Fidelity for everything before that. I like IBs trading platform more, but banking was less painful with Fidelity. I had to use Etrade and Schwab for work in the past, never liked Etrade as much as Fidelity, and Schwab was over ten years ago and had a pretty limited online platform back then. I am sure that is different now.

Mainly using IB for my specific situation - I am an Aussie expat living in the US and will probably move country again at some point, and IB is much more readily setup to move your assets to one of their many local brokerage branches. Fidelity does allow you to move out of the US and maintain the account, just not make new purchases. Etrade and a lot of other brokers will liquidate your account if you leave the US.

On the current market - I am DCAing on a few fronts, mostly trying to build up a small GOOG stake from nothing before the split and then bolstering my VOO. I might bolster a few more individual positions over the summer, we'll see. Not expecting any magical turnaround in the short term.

TheWorthyEdge

Oct 25, 2017
Market's up a lot today. Thinking this is just a quick bounce up after S&P dipped below 3,850 and then an eventual crash back below, or are we thinking 3,850 is the bottom here? I'm thinking it's hopefully a bounce back up but with the summer comes more volatility as volume goes down sooooo…I think I'm staying away until September or so…not sure.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
I'm annoyed at Costco's gains today. I wish the market freaked out more on that stock. I'm hoping for a dip to send it below $400 and then average down from there instead of waiting for $380.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
I'm annoyed at Costco's gains today. I wish the market freaked out more on that stock. I'm hoping for a dip to send it below $400 and then average down from there instead of waiting for $380.

Earnings in a couple days. You might get your wish if reaction to earnings is poor and there is a big gap down after. Today is basically noise because the entire market went up. Well, outside the ARK type stuff.

2pac_71

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, Snap warns on Q2 and changed guidance. They just gave guidance a month ago so shit must have changed super fast. Down 20% in AH.

edit

Snap down 28%
Google down 4%
FB down 8%

Damn, and hear I thought today's rally and Friday's recovery to flat last week could have been a bottom. Who was I kidding.

Last edited:

chuckddd

Oct 25, 2017
SNAP had already missed their earnings and had posted bad guidance and now they've downgraded that already downgraded guidance? Woof

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
If you have money in stock Image companies, or image aggregation platforms like PINS, you might want to think about what AI will do to their value. 3D-asset banks will also have a hard time remaining relevant, in due time.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
SNAP had already missed their earnings and had posted bad guidance and now they've downgraded that already downgraded guidance? Woof
I didn't go to validate this yet, but I read that this is down more than their actual earnings miss from Q1... Wtf..

That doesn't make any sense to me.

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
Highly encourage people listen to the Odd Lots podcast's latest episode with Bridgewater's Greg Jensen. One of the most fascinating discussions I've ever listened to. I'm kinda mind-blown by how many threads it pulls together. It's going to stick with me for a long time.

I'll try to post some quotes later.

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
On asset bubbles and what it would take to close the gap between prices and actual productive capacity:

Somehow you have to pay for the assets with cash flows generated in the real economy. One person's asset is another draw on somebody else's future income. So the incomes and the assets have to align at some point.

Now that could take a very long time, but the last decade was extreme. It was one of the most extreme periods of assets doing well relative to the nominal cash flows today. The Fed's trying to deal with the aftermath of that. The aftermath of that is we got a tremendous amount of paper wealth. We got a tremendous amount of demand relative to the ability of the economy to supply it. And now the Fed has two choices. If you said, what is it going to take to get inflation back to target?

You know, and it's not, I don't want to give the sense of false precision, but if we said, well, how much do you have to drop demand and change the labor market to get it? You're looking at a short-term interest rate of five, five and a half percent and a recession, a deep recession, and a crash probably in financial markets down 35, 40%. If you choose to go that direction.

I don't think the Fed will do that. I think the Fed will instead watch as growth starts -- one of the things you were saying, Tracy, in the intro that I quibble with a little bit, is I think growth is slowing right now. Now it's just starting to show up, but I think you're going to see negative growth in the next year or two -- real growth, now different than nominal growth. And so this gets complicated and nominal growth will be high and real growth will be slow, and that's going to be a dilemma.

On liquidity:

So the second point that's making stocks really bad in this inflation period, this period over the last four months, it's the lack of liquidity. The Fed had been providing tremendous liquidity up until this calendar year.

You see how many stocks needed that liquidity because they needed new buyers. And right now we'd calculate about 40% of the US equity market can only survive essentially with new buyers entering the market because they're not cashflow generating themselves. And that's near a historic high, that's like basically right in line with '99, 2000. And it exists because, because the Fed produced liquidity for so long, you had declining, real rates, high levels of liquidity. You get the reverse. And you're seeing that squeeze the stocks that need that liquidity are getting hit the hardest. And that's happening quite quickly. You also see that to some extent you need constantly new buyers in the crypto space as well. And just the removal of macro liquidity is starting to affect the entities everywhere that need the liquidity the most.

On the so-called Fed put:

Exactly this again, a great example of where you'd have to have an incredibly smart machine learning system to recognize the difference between this downturn and the 2008 downturn or the 2000 or the Covid downturn or whatever, where there is a huge difference in downturns when policy makers are unconstrained. So if you take even 2008, as devastating as that was policy makers, because inflation was low, they could print as much money and spend as much money as they were willing to do. Like there wasn't a constraint, basically there's three constraints on policy makers. If you look through history, they can always create nominal growth. If they don't have an inflation problem, if they don't have a currency problem and they don't have a bubbles problem. And so you take a 2008 or the Covi thing and you see how it works, right? They did it a lot more effectively in Covid, which is print the money, spend the money, and you can offset anything.

But if you look at history and you look at when policy makers are constrained, it's when it's inflationary, therefore you can't use that printing and spending and you have a much more difficult thing. So basically you could buy, you'd want to buy dips when the central bank is able to essentially be that shock absorber. But when inflation is stubbornly high into weakening assets, you can't, the Fed's not going to be there.

In fact, they want the asset prices to fall to a certain degree. And even if they fall more than they want them to, they're weighing the inflation picture against that. So all of a sudden you've got a much bigger dip possibility before you get relief from policy makers. And in fact, the dip has to become disinflationary in order to do that. And so that's why the drawdowns and the loss in real terms in the 1970s and early eighties was so much worse than most of those other drawdowns in terms of the duration over which it lasted. And you see that across economies, that when policy makers are constrained by inflation or currency, you know, it can take out it, it can lead to lost decades.

On the inflationary effects of the trend toward de-globalization:

Now, secularly, as you're describing, there's this big trend of de-globalization that one of the lessons that US corporations or European corporations have taken is wow, we need a much more reliable secure supply chain and we need to build that. And that's building for resiliency rather than building for efficiency. And that's part of the inflation story. If you take the last 30 years, everything in the global economy was built for efficiency, almost nothing was built for resiliency. And it was part of the disinflation story that now you're going the opposite direction. You've got to build semiconductors in your own economy. You've got to get energy from sources that you can rely on.

[…]
And this is part of the reason that you'll actually have demand for capital expenditures, even if the economy starts to turn down. So that's going to create pressure on nominal GDP, even if profits are starting to decline, normally capital expenditures go up and down with profits, but you've got to rebuild an economy. And this is where you have the impact of stranded assets that all of this capacity to export to the world in China and all of the Capex that went there, it's got to get replaced over time and that's costly without creating wealth in a sense because it's offsetting stranded assets and that's going to be a big phenomenon that is an inflationary phenomenon because it's going to create higher nominal GDP, but without, let's say creating new wealth, it's offsetting lost wealth.

On US-China decoupling:

And so those are the, that's the cost of de-globalization. And we've had this wind at our back for so long that people even forget, it's a wind in a sense. And now you've got the wind in your face as you go through the process of unwinding the incredible efficiency of the global economy over the last 30 years and building something more resilient. And we don't think that's going to stop. There's the pressures between the US and China are such that you're almost certainly on a path to two largely separated economies. They'll have an interface in trade and other things, but they won't be so tightly linked as they have been. And that's, that's a very big deal.

On the social upsides to de-globalization and decline of neoliberalism:

Now you get some benefits too, because certainly from a social cohesion perspective, all of a sudden kind of the losers of globalization get the benefit. That's the higher wages. So a lot of this discussion is focused on the negatives to the financial markets, which the financial markets benefited massively from globalization. The average worker in the United States did not, and now the reversal will do the same. It's kind of the de-financialization of the US, which arguably is good for a social good, but is a very difficult environment for assets, just offsetting the incredibly great environment assets have had.

Last edited:

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It isn't "deglobalization", it's technological advances which favor independence. It untangles dependencies and removes chokepoints throughout the system, and will increasingly be fueled by locally-produced energy. All of this makes our societies more resilient to disruptions. Covid simply accelerated this progression.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
On asset bubbles and what it would take to close the gap between prices and actual productive capacity:

On liquidity:

On the so-called Fed put:

On the inflationary effects of the trend toward de-globalization:

On US-China decoupling:

On the social upsides to de-globalization and decline of neoliberalism:

This was awesome to read, thanks for posting it.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
Today could be a fun day....

image.png

lt519

Oct 25, 2017
Weird stock to treat as a bellwether IMO, it shouldn't be surprising that ad revenue is down but they weren't exactly the beacon of growth either with TikTok taking its share of the pie.

Google being down 6% because of the news is a joke. Any excuse to sell off right now I guess.

Laughton

Apr 19, 2022
While Snap probably hurts tech, this feels like a good old-fashioned pump and dump to me. Sucker the retail in and then rugpull.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
I'm all long term and not a trader, but seriously what the fuck.

The amount of manipulation that occurs in the stock market is insane. There's NO sensible reason that SNAP should be down 40% from that guidance update. That's too vague of information.

Because this I'm now having to buy more AMZN and GOOG 🤦🏿‍♂️

famicorpse

Unshakable Resolve
Banned
Mar 15, 2019
Waiting for Snap to hit single digits before I buy.
Am I foolish ya'll? Should I just buy now?

lt519

Oct 25, 2017
I'm all long term and not a trader, but seriously what the fuck.

The amount of manipulation that occurs in the stock market is insane. There's NO sensible reason that SNAP should be down 40% from that guidance update. That's too vague of information.

Because this I'm now having to buy more AMZN and GOOG 🤦🏿‍♂️

Yeah, I get the reasoning why PINS would dip too. But no way it should dip 30% in a sympathy move when it is actually profitable and has half the price to sales ratio as SNAP.

It's driving me a little crazy because it made a sympathy move like this with FB when it plunged but all I can do is be patient.

Might be buying some Amazon today too, $2000 should be a really strong support level considering it consolidated just under that for 2 years before moving up to $3000.

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
Does the stock market ever go up? I keep hearing tale of this mythical 7% gains...
The S&P500 literally just returned 27% in 2021.

I get expectations are super inflated given the crazy bull-run we're just coming out of, but a return to the mean or even pre-pandemic trend should not be surprising or upsetting in the slightest.