• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

When will NVDA's market cap overtake AAPL?

• During March-May (earnings in May)

Votes: 5 25.0%
  • During June-August (earnings in August)

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • During September-November (earnings in November)

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • During December-February '25 (earnings in February '25)

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Not in the next year, you shall not pass!

Votes: 6 30.0%
  • #TeamApple back to #1 this CY, fly you fools!

Votes: 3 15.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mengy

Oct 25, 2017
The good news is Core CPI is still trending down, came in at 5.9% when it was 6.0% last month. That means we are trending in the right direction, it's just taking time to turn the train around, that's all. My hunch is CPI for next month will come down a bit, and from there we start to see it gradually fall in a better direction.

Today will likely be very red though.

Oct 30, 2017
And people on reddit said inflation will be lower because oil tanked. Yeah, sure.
To be fair Brent Crude started accelerating in May again (was ~$100) until it reached it's peak on June 8 with a price of $125.

It came down to $98 as of now (-20%), so prices at the gas station are going to lag at least a month after the turnaround.

Also this time it hopefully stays under $100 as it bounced back several times this year.

lt519

Oct 25, 2017
The whole reporting process is flawed right now because of how fast things are changing. Month old data is not very useful in this environment. Sure is a good way to make a good swing trade with algorithms though.

OP
OP
Sheepinator

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
It infuriates me how this useless Fed let this situation unfold. They just sat back as this was all happening, then acted like a deer in headlights. Fed being slow to take their foot off the gas isn't new, but this was negligence of the highest order.

2pac_71

Oct 25, 2017
Canada hiked by 1% not the 0.75% that was what people were assuming. Curious if the Fed goes 1% in 2 weeks.

OP
OP
Sheepinator

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
No wonder Unity is down 16%, to 10% above their 2-year low. Big news is their acquisition of merger with IronSource, at a cost of $4.4BN all stock. So that's dilution, which they try to offset with a sweetener of a $2.5BN stock buyback after the deal is completed (who knows how much they end up buying of course).

Unity's marketcap was less than $12BN yesterday. Reminders here of Discovery absorbing WB, which led to an overhang of sellers too once T shareholders got some WBD shares.

In addition,

"Unity reduces full-year 2022 revenue guidance from $1,350 - $1,425 million to $1,300 - $1,350 million."

finance.yahoo.com

Unity Announces Merger Agreement with ironSource

SAN FRANCISCO & TEL AVIV, Israel, July 13, 2022--Unity (NYSE: U), the world’s leading platform for creating and operating interactive, real-time 3D (RT3D) content, and ironSource, (NYSE: IS), a leading business platform that empowers mobile content creators to turn their apps into scalable...

LJ11

Oct 25, 2017
It infuriates me how this useless Fed let this situation unfold. They just sat back as this was all happening, then acted like a deer in headlights. Fed being slow to take their foot off the gas isn't new, but this was negligence of the highest order.

Were the Biden bazooka's negligence after the December '20 package went through? I mean they were still talking student debt forgiveness well into this ripper. Everyone blames the Fed, and they don't need me carrying their water, but lets say they start raising in Sep 21, what in the world does that do in the face of the massive stimulus package and direct transfers to households/business that went through with the last couple of packages? Hell the prints going into late summer early fall looked okish, and then boom. When businesses were getting 7k per employee per quarter, revised from 5k a year under the previous plan, for retaining employees..... The sums are just too big, and they were direct transfers to the household sector, it's massive boon, this wasn't about those 3k stimmy checks, but everything else that went into some of these stimulus plans.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sheepinator

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Were the Biden bazooka's negligence after the December '20 package went through? I mean they were still talking student debt forgiveness well into this ripper. Everyone blames the Fed, and they don't need me carrying their water, but lets say they start raising in Sep 21, what in the world does that do in the face of the massive stimulus package and direct transfers to households/business that went through with the last couple of packages? Hell the prints going into late summer early fall looked okish, and then boom. When businesses were getting 7k per employee per quarter, revised from 5k a year under the previous plan, for retaining employees..... The sums are just too big, and they were direct transfers to the household sector, it's massive boon, this wasn't about those 3k stimmy checks, but everything else that went into some of these stimulus plans.
True, but those spending packages were all talk since early last year, after Manchin stalled them for months then eventually shot them down under cover of inflation. There was also the hangover of huge deficit spending done by Trump (66% higher than Obama's second term), even before that additional covid spending.

That said, high chance Biden cancels $10K of student debt per person before the midterms I think.

LJ11

Oct 25, 2017
True, but those spending packages were all talk since early last year, after Manchin stalled them for months then eventually shot them down under cover of inflation. There was also the hangover of huge deficit spending done by Trump (66% higher than Obama's second term), even before that additional covid spending.

That said, high chance Biden cancels $10K of student debt per person before the midterms I think.

Between Trump/Congress December 20 package, and the ARP package in March 21, they blasted almost 3 trillion into the economy, most of which was direct transfers to folks in various alphabet soup programs. I mean to put it in perspective, the Fed does all this QE, but the Treasury Department was sitting on 1.3 trillion in their General Account in March/April '21, that account was directly sucking money out of the "system" that the Fed put in, LOL. Essentially the Fed had to build a run way via QE, so the Treasury would have room to mop it up without starving the beast, but eventually the TGA was going to be spent down via transfers.

It's safe to say that they went too big, lot of blame to go around if you ask me. Truthfully I wonder how this will scar future policy in downturns/shocks.

Laughton

Apr 19, 2022
That feeling when you've been hoarding Euros to buy US stocks at a discount but the Euro is falling faster than stock prices.

Pesmerga

Aug 22, 2018
The semiconductor industry was only going downhill from here right?

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/tsmcs-q2-profit-76-beats-053627421.html

"Taiwan's TSMC forecast revenue growth that could be the highest in 10 quarters, saying it was "highly confident" about its long-term prospects and touted demand for high-tech chips used in 5G networks and artificial intelligence.

Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co Ltd (TSMC), the world's largest contract chipmaker and a major Apple Inc supplier, said it expected third-quarter revenue to surge to between $19.8 billion and $20.6 billion, up from $14.88 billion a year earlier.

In the second quarter ended June 30, TSMC's revenue rose 36.6%, and net profit surged 76.4% - the biggest jump in eight quarters and handily beating market estimates.

The strong results and outlook underscore red-hot demand for TSMC's chips amid a two-year global shortage and ease some doubts after several chipmakers including Micron Technology Inc recently sounded an alarm about a sudden glut.

They are also testament to the demand for Apple's iPhone 13 despite record global inflation and worries of a looming recession.
Smartphone sales at other companies such as market leader Samsung Electronics Co Ltd have declined following a pandemic-fuelled surge in demand.

Long-term chip demand remains "firmly in place", TSMC's Chief Executive Officer C. C. Wei told an online earnings briefing. He said he expected capacity utilisation at the company's chip fabrication plants to stay "healthy" next year.

TSMC, whose clients also include chip majors such as Qualcomm Inc, raised its revenue growth expectations for 2022 to more than 30% from a previous forecast of roughly 26% to 29%.

Still, TSMC said capital expenditure will skim the lower end of its previous guidance of $40 billion to $44 billion as it said it was facing rising raw material costs.

It signalled that demand was cooling for chips used in consumer electronics, and that it expects customers to start to reduce chip stockpiles over the next few quarters into 2023.

TSMC said net profit for April-June rose to a record T$237.0 billion ($7.94 billion). That beat the T$219.13 billion average of 19 analyst estimates compiled by Refinitiv.

Shares of TSMC have fallen about 23% so far this year, giving the firm a market value of $408.3 billion. The stock rose 1% on Thursday, compared with a 0.8% gain for the benchmark index."

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2018
The only real positive from this downturn in the market is the the two equities I've been eyeing to add to my portfolio will be added sooner than I expected given the lowered evaluations (I don't DCA but rather conduct bulk buys in multiples of 10)

Laughton

Apr 19, 2022
Futures bleeding again. I wonder if this is a delayed dump from yesterday, or if we're rocketing after open again.

chuckddd

Oct 25, 2017
PPI shot way up, although core PPI was down a bit. All about the price of gas, atm. I feel like the fed is going to overstep and do a 1% increase.

OP
OP
Sheepinator

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
And gas prices are still nearly 25% higher than mid-Feb.

Analysts downgrading:

On Thursday morning, equity strategists at Bank of America Global Research led by Savita Subramanian cut their year-end price target on the benchmark S&P 500 to 3,600 from 4,500.

Deleted member 70788

Jun 2, 2020
I'm sitting with approximately 40% cash just waiting for something to give me any optimism for the future. Still DCAing max in 401k and HSA but I need some indication of movement that's more positive or a big drop before I jump back in.

OP
OP
Sheepinator

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
The only real positive from this downturn in the market is the the two equities I've been eyeing to add to my portfolio will be added sooner than I expected given the lowered evaluations (I don't DCA but rather conduct bulk buys in multiples of 10)
Curious, what is the difference between DCA and multiple buys?

EDIT: Should have Googled. DCA means equal dollar amount. I always assumed when people talked about DCA they were meaning generally, "Bought more of X to lower cost basis."

Last edited:

LJ11

Oct 25, 2017
Crude just dipped to it's lowest price since February 2022 (around $94.5).

-25% since the last peak in mid-June

finance.yahoo.com

Brent Crude Oil Last Day Financ (BZ=F) Stock Price, News, Quote & History - Yahoo Finance

Find the latest Brent Crude Oil Last Day Financ (BZ=F) stock quote, history, news and other vital information to help you with your stock trading and investing.

And yet with the dollar run that move is offset to a degree for many many countries. I mean Yen is down what 20%, I suppose any relief is good but conditions still tight as hell with the dollar running roughshod.

Kromis

Oct 29, 2017
SoCal
Damn GME is going nuts today. I sold my GME call for a measly $10 profit yesterday when I could've held a little longer 🤡

Oct 30, 2017
I'm sitting with approximately 40% cash just waiting for something to give me any optimism for the future. Still DCAing max in 401k and HSA but I need some indication of movement that's more positive or a big drop before I jump back in.
Isn't the biggest hurdle/question right now if Europe can figure out their energy security without Russian imports, especially gas?

As far as I read it:

• Total stop of coal imports on 10 August 2022, so just a month away

Coal has to travel longer distances by then (imports from Australia, South Africa, etc.) and there's less supply on the world market as Russia gets cut out. On the other hand everything should be settled by the end of the year as we're basically reshuffling the world market right now. So, it might result in (even) higher prices up to this date and after this, but after everything is figured out, I don't see a reason for further price increases in this sector (someone correct me if wrong).

• Stop of oil imports in Decemer 2022 / end of the year

Probably the same story as with coal, find new import partners, less supply because of Russia, prices spike. That said if the economy cools off oil prices should hopefully decrease further from now on. If everything is settled / figured out at begin of the new year, this could further decrease the price.

• Gas don't know, they'll import it as long as they can

The big question mark. That said Germany could offset 20% of Russian imports with their new LNG terminals alone if they finish them this year. But who knows how this thing will play out in the next few weeks / months.

So, aside from Gas, there's going to be a lot less uncertainty about the flow / trade of coal and oil after the import bans are actually activated, which is somewhat positive.

Laughton

Apr 19, 2022
Bleeds at open, almost flat by close. Getting so predictable I'm almost tempted to start playing with options.

Shadout

Oct 27, 2017
BABA is causing me pain today. Thank you CCP? On the positive side, I nabbed some more Nvidia at its absolute lowest point of the day.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
And yet with the dollar run that move is offset to a degree for many many countries. I mean Yen is down what 20%, I suppose any relief is good but conditions still tight as hell with the dollar running roughshod.

Guess we will find out the dollar impact soon with megacap earnings.

Individual stocks still carry lots of risk of course, however as MrBob said recently, I've been looking at some ETF's for green shoots. I'm seeing that with XLV, healthcare. The moving averages are turning up on the lower time frames, and it's looking to push past resistance in the $131 handle. It's above the 21 and 50 ma's. Healthcare should do well in this environment too.

ekQfnv5n

XLV is good to watch. Don't forget to zoom out to the weekly and monthly charts too to grab a look at the longer term picture. Here is a quick weekly chart.

VUJ1w3F.png

XLV is in a bull flag/wedge over the past month right underneath the convergence of the 20 week and 50 week moving averages, but these have been resistance so far. Above the 20/50 week moving average convergence, I've tried to mark price areas where XLV has had some heavier resistance with bigger sell offs. These are additional hurdles to look for on the way back up, where these sell offs could be long term distribution. Similar to what the IWM and Amazon experienced. Getting above that convergence of the 20/50 week and holding on weekly closes would allow XLV to at least try to grind up higher. Also look at how that 25% Fibonacci retracement level price area from the covid low to current high was multi month resistance on the way up, and has had multiple bounces off this area from above. Chart definitely saying this price area is important too.

Though a lot of these weekly charts are basically in large range, long sideways patterns right now. Even ARKK has been basing sideways for the past couple months. Can take these for quick swing trades near the low of the base, as long as that bottom base holds. Or just wait for some breakout confirmation. Tried to break higher last week, but was denied.

6C9bico.png

Now back in the middle of it's sideways pattern again.

Last edited:

Kromis

Oct 29, 2017
SoCal
Damn, market really reversing and coming back up after Fed downplayed fears of 100 bps hike. RIP my long dated QQQ put.