• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

When will NVDA's market cap overtake AAPL?

• During March-May (earnings in May)

Votes: 5 25.0%
  • During June-August (earnings in August)

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • During September-November (earnings in November)

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • During December-February '25 (earnings in February '25)

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Not in the next year, you shall not pass!

Votes: 6 30.0%
  • #TeamApple back to #1 this CY, fly you fools!

Votes: 3 15.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
I had to do a double take, because I'd been seeing red so long that al most forgot what green stocks looked like.

Though I'm about ready to dump my airline stock. A year later and it still feels like a mistake purchasing it.

smisk

Oct 27, 2017
Despite losing $1700 on that Netflix put I'm still buying more options today... Gave myself $5k to play with and if I lose that I'm done.
It's basically gambling at this point but it feels so good when when you're able to make a 30-40% gain in a couple days.

OP
OP
Sheepinator

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Despite losing $1700 on that Netflix put I'm still buying more options today... Gave myself $5k to play with and if I lose that I'm done.
It's basically gambling at this point but it feels so good when when you're able to make a 30-40% gain in a couple days.
That's risky. Sounds like emotions playing a part there. You'd also be paying a lot for the options due to the high volatility.

NFLX P/E is 17? With potential growth to come thanks to ads? The bottom is likely in for the stock.

smisk

Oct 27, 2017
That's risky. Sounds like emotions playing a part there. You'd also be paying a lot for the options due to the high volatility.

NFLX P/E is 17? With potential growth to come thanks to ads? The bottom is likely in for the stock.

Yeah, I got scared off NFLX yesterday after losing the earnings coin flip. Just bought AMD @ 95 for next week, I think we'll see it keep climbing heading towards the earnings (though I wouldn't be surprised to see it drop afterwards, I suspect the crypto crash will affect their revenue this quarter).

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe I will be able to retire early someday after all. My taxable brokerage is back up 17% since June 20th now. My retirement accounts still have a long, long way to go.

chuckddd

Oct 25, 2017
Thinking about selling some of my more recent purchases just to make myself feel like I'm doing well in the market.

Laughton

Apr 19, 2022
Am I understanding Tesla's earnings right, that they only beat revenue estimates because they sold most of their Bitcoins at a loss?

OP
OP
Sheepinator

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Looks like despite all the benefits of his market manipulation, Musk still managed to lose a lot of Tesla's money trading Bitcoin.

The company bought $1.5BN worth at around $35K I think. At the end of 2021 the company had $2BN in bitcoin. It's now sold 75% of that for $936M, meaning the total investment had a value of $1.25BN. He lost over $250M of Tesla's money maybe?

Last edited:

Gohlad

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Looks like despite all the benefits of his market manipulation, Musk still managed to lose a lot of Tesla's money trading Bitcoin.

The company bought $1.5BN worth at around $35K I think. At the end of 2021 the company had $2BN in bitcoin. It's now sold 75% of that for $936M, meaning the total investment had a value of $1.25BN. He lost over $250M of Tesla's money maybe?
Remember that he sold 10% of bitcoin last year and made around $275M from that sale so overall I think they haven't lost any money to it…yet.

OP
OP
Sheepinator

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Remember that he sold 10% of bitcoin last year and made around $275M from that sale so overall I think they haven't lost any money to it…yet.
Thanks for the reminder. OK maybe it's around breakeven at the current price.

As is typical with Musk, in the middle of March he said, "I still own & won't sell my Bitcoin, Ethereum or Doge". Then in Q2 he sold 75% of Tesla's crypto.

Mengy

Oct 25, 2017
You got it the other way around. EPS beat but revenue miss :)

Yep.

Honestly Tesla's Q2 earnings came in MUCH better than I expected, given Shanghai's shutdown for a third of the quarter. I'm glad they sold most of their BTC, it was basically a financial wash for them but this impairment crap wasn't doing any favors for them. I hope they don't go and buy it back....

This sure does bode incredibly well for Q3 and Q4 though, I mean they will both be massive record breaking quarters for Tesla at these production rates (as long as China doesn't shutdown again).

Greenpaint

Oct 30, 2017
I assume ECB is raising rates softly because there are worries how countries with huge debt loads would manage in a high rates environment.

www.reuters.com

Analysis: Debt-laden Italy looks no less vulnerable as rates shoot higher

Debt-laden Italy finds itself in markets' crosshairs again, as a collapse in its national unity government coincides with the European Central Bank preparing to deliver its first interest rate rise in 11 years.

We don't want to accidentally cause those countries to default.

Laughton

Apr 19, 2022
I have to say that I really don't understand this market at all. All the news seem to be bad but stocks keep going up.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
I have to say that I really don't understand this market at all. All the news seem to be bad but stocks keep going up.
Earnings have not been as bad as expected and signs are pointing to inflation starting to turn around in July with gas prices going down along with other consumer goods costs. I think the next Fed meeting and inflation report will be really important to point to where we are going the rest of the year.

Shadout

Oct 27, 2017
ATVI seems like a good bet imo. Hard to imagine the deal wont happen.
It is 10% of my current portfolio, and I am very tempted to double that. Albeit, I probably wont unless we see another red week dragging it down. Give me $75 price point again!

Just noticed the market was going full green again. It sure is weird. Not that it goes up, after all the downturn, but that it happens so consistently, as if there was no problems or doubts about the future...

Oh well, thanks to the Google split, I finally got a small position earlier today. Already up ~2%, gogo google.

OP
OP
Sheepinator

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Worth it to invest in Activision? It's still below Microsoft's purchase price.
I think so. Odds of deal going through are far higher than the price suggests imo. And even if the deal were to fail, limited downside due to valuation anyway, after the initial sell the news dump recovers some.

Unrelated, my only NFLX trade this week was sell one $230 call expiring this Friday, 5 minutes before earnings when the stock was $200. I figured it was highly unlikely to go up more than 10%, if it went up at all. That was $4.75, covered this morning for $0.25.

A less risky earnings play is to buy calls in stocks you think will see short covering into earnings, but do that 1-2 weeks out while expected volatility is lower, then sell some or all right before the earnings comes out. Let someone else take the coin flip risk.

lt519

Oct 25, 2017
SNAP getting destroyed right now, missing guidance after already revising down and now saying growth will be flat?

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
I hope Musk gets stuck buying Twitter for 54 a share now. Way over paying with waiving due diligence.

OP
OP
Sheepinator

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
I hope Musk gets stuck buying Twitter for 54 a share now. Way over paying with waiving due diligence.
I hope he is genuinely bored and/or regretting his rash choices, and ends up not buying Twitter but losing billions in the process. It will be an even bigger dumpster fire with him in charge of it, considering his stance on moderation.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
I hope he is genuinely bored and/or regretting his rash choices, and ends up not buying Twitter but losing billions in the process. It will be an even bigger dumpster fire with him in charge of it, considering his stance on moderation.
I'm ok with this too. Buying Twitter in the first place was such a bad idea. The platform is only good for shit posting and news anyway.

lt519

Oct 25, 2017
They blamed a slowdown in digital ad spending. GOOG already took a little hit in sympathy to that. Their earnings next Tuesday folks... 🤡

They said the same thing last quarter, PINS got sympathy beat up and then PINS earnings were fine. But that's how the market is behaving right now, scared at any sign of weakness. SNAP should hardly be a bellweather stock.

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
I assume ECB is raising rates softly because there are worries how countries with huge debt loads would manage in a high rates environment.

www.reuters.com

Analysis: Debt-laden Italy looks no less vulnerable as rates shoot higher

Debt-laden Italy finds itself in markets' crosshairs again, as a collapse in its national unity government coincides with the European Central Bank preparing to deliver its first interest rate rise in 11 years.

We don't want to accidentally cause those countries to default.
Lol

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
Did tesla have good earnings? or did it just have a lot of short sellers. Not sure I get why the stock is being pumped so much this past day. Tesla typically goes down after good earnings.

Mengy

Oct 25, 2017
Did tesla have good earnings? or did it just have a lot of short sellers. Not sure I get why the stock is being pumped so much this past day. Tesla typically goes down after good earnings.

Tesla had much better than expected earnings, especially given Giga Shanghai was shut down for a third of the quarter.

The production run rate is very bullish for Q3 & Q4, and I think that's a large reason for the run up going on now. Everyone with a competent financial model for Tesla can see where the second half of 2022 is going: record breaking revenue, profits, production, margins, etc. Plus the upcoming 3:1 split too.