• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

When will NVDA's market cap overtake AAPL?

• During March-May (earnings in May)

Votes: 5 25.0%
  • During June-August (earnings in August)

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • During September-November (earnings in November)

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • During December-February '25 (earnings in February '25)

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Not in the next year, you shall not pass!

Votes: 6 30.0%
  • #TeamApple back to #1 this CY, fly you fools!

Votes: 3 15.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
This is a quick question: I have some WFC that is now up over 100% for me since I bought it and it just matured into a long-term capital gain asset. Do you guys typically sell half and secure the profit at this point? I guess this boils down to the question of whether I trust the future of WFC/the market as a whole or not but I want more general advice on when to secure profit I guess.

I think you really answered your own question there. Definitely about whether or not you believe WFC can really turn around and not have the recurring issues they had in the past. I believe in that for perhaps the next year or so, as I also hold a lot of WFC right now, but mines doesn't hit long term until about February I think. Its had an incredible run the last year and I like having holdings in finance, but Im so unsure about it that I think I might take profit in February and reallocate it into more JPM shares. Im far more confident about them than I am WFC to keep it together, but I won't liquidate all of it.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
I think you really answered your own question there. Definitely about whether or not you believe WFC can really turn around and not have the recurring issues they had in the past. I believe in that for perhaps the next year or so, as I also hold a lot of WFC right now, but mines doesn't hit long term until about February I think. Its had an incredible run the last year and I like having holdings in finance, but Im so unsure about it that I think I might take profit in February and reallocate it into more JPM shares. Im far more confident about them than I am WFC to keep it together, but I won't liquidate all of it.
You can't make this shit up, I come back from lunch planning on selling and this shit happens:
HVcLDTd.png

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
This is a quick question: I have some WFC that is now up over 100% for me since I bought it and it just matured into a long-term capital gain asset. Do you guys typically sell half and secure the profit at this point? I guess this boils down to the question of whether I trust the future of WFC/the market as a whole or not but I want more general advice on when to secure profit I guess.

You can't make this shit up, I come back from lunch planning on selling and this shit happens:
HVcLDTd.png

Holy shit

The timing... Goddamn.

Lol what the hell?

Tsoi

Nov 8, 2017
Rolls Royce finally printing lol

Today is a good day!

They recently won the B-52 engine replacement contract from the Pentagon, and sold ITP Aero for 2 billion.
RR also have mini nuclear reactors in the works. Really excited to see the future of this company.

They still haven't recovered to their pre-covid levels, but with borders opening up it shouldn't take long.
IMO this is an easy long term hold to at least double your money within the next few years.

Last edited:

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
QQQ down .75% right now with IWM up 1.75%. Are we at the new beginning of a rotation that I saw starting to happen last week?

Just looking at the market sectors today, it seems like the biggest pumps are happening in value/small caps. If we do break out once more, it is possible these may lead again for awhile, since they have been underperforming versus tech the last couple months.

When I see heavy dislocations like we are today between the QQQ and IWM, I take a little notice. There are some games being played at the moment. Ultimately though, if we have another rotation that is usually good overall. You want rotations to keep the market propped up. Beware of the Tom Lee "Everything rally" where all stocks go to the moon together at once. It would be great to hop onto and ride, because it could be an epic move. However, at the top of this rally is likely a shit sandwich since there usually isn't anywhere else to rotate too.

IWM is getting closer to resistance levels where it has failed to break out multiple times. So we will see what happens this time. Been basing sidweways for about the last 9 months. Whichever way it breaks is likely to be a pretty big move in that direction. "The longer the base, the higher in space". You can also flip that statement too. "The longer the base, the lower in space", because normally that base energy is getting released in one direction. But right now it is trying to push up again, so we will see if it can break out this time.

HVcLDTd.png

😭

That is bad timing for sure. 2% down sucks but it isn't the end of the world yet since you are up like 100% already. I think it is only about 1% down now. For me, I have different rules between trading positions and longer term positions. If it is a trading position, I'll usually pick a certain point to sell half and just let the rest ride. Then set a stop near your buy in a price, or a pivot price that you don't believe the stock should go back below. At this point you booked a nice profit and already won. You don't really even have to pay attention to it anymore unless it hits your stop out price for the rest of the shares.

Last edited:

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
That is bad timing for sure. 2% down sucks but it isn't the end of the world yet since you are up like 100% already. I think it is only about 1% down now. For me, I have different rules between trading positions and longer term positions. If it is a trading position, I'll usually pick a certain point to sell half and just let the rest ride. Then set a stop near your buy in a price, or a pivot price that you don't believe the stock should go back below. At this point you booked a nice profit and already won. You don't really even have to pay attention to it anymore unless it hits your stop out price for the rest of the shares.
Yeah, it isn't too bad. I bought in at 23.15 so I've had great gains. My plan is to sell half and put a stop loss and limit out at 20% in either direction for the remainder.

I've been re-investing my individual stocks into ETFs and market tracking funds since February and will let my profits there just continue funding my weekly buy-ins.

thaivo

Nov 2, 2017
Bought a little bit of BYDDF. Hoping to add bit by bit over time, as I see them actually as the Chinese manufacturer that may perform best in EVs over the next ten years. I know its a foreign OTC, but the volume is insanely low these days.

BYD.png

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
More bad news from China.

www.scmp.com

China’s power shortage turns dire as traffic lights fail, homes fall dark

Half of China’s provincial jurisdictions mandate rationing of electricity, but poor communication and unclear timeline leave public fearful of further power cuts.

The whole power issue in China is straight up lunacy. The central mandate is to cut emissions, but the country is still dependent on coal power, and industries need to run. So... the way to meet those mandates is to shut down power to industries so people don't get pissed off?

Like, is there something I'm missing here? How on earth was this mandated from the central government, which was then completely mishandled by local governments? Is a case of Goodhart's Law happening in real time?

Greenpaint

Oct 30, 2017
The whole power issue in China is straight up lunacy. The central mandate is to cut emissions, but the country is still dependent on coal power, and industries need to run. So... the way to meet those mandates is to shut down power to industries so people don't get pissed off?

Like, is there something I'm missing here? How on earth was this mandated from the central government, which was then completely mishandled by local governments? Is a case of Goodhart's Law happening in real time?

China is hosting some very high profile events in the coming year, for which they want "blue skies". A UN climate conference in november and winter olympics 2022 in february. At the same time COVID-recovery has made energy demand hit new records, almost 15% over pre-COVID levels. This combined with the fact that 65% of Chinese power comes from coal it puts China in a very tight spot, because they don't want olympics to be televised in a giant smog cloud. Also coal supplies are tight right now anyway.

Last edited:

chuckddd

Oct 25, 2017
yeah not looking too good so far. Think it's because of the uncertainty with the debt ceiling?
Evergrande, rising bond yields, and the US about to default on loans. It's a triple whammy.

Dollar strengthening, too. So that's going to hurt precious metals and possibly crypto.

I'm still about 20% cash. I will be plowing that all in if the market corrects.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
Evergrande, rising bond yields, and the US about to default on loans. It's a triple whammy.

Dollar strengthening, too. So that's going to hurt precious metals and possibly crypto.

I'm still about 20% cash. I will be plowing that all in if the market corrects.

ah yeah forgot about that other stuff

I'm also holding a lot of cash atm. Kinda waiting to see what happens. If there is a big tank I can still put a few thousand into my Roth as well.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
It really looks like withdrawing too much cash for my house purchase really paid off, haha!

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
I'd like to see QQQ approaching 340 before going heavier (which would only a 10% correction).

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
QQQ daily chart is fun, because it shows how the QQQ consolidated a long time under 369-370 and couldn't get over this level for a long time, rejected lower multiple times. Then it finally broke over, had a nice rally, and now gapped back under. Now tested this level two days in a row and haven't been able to get back over, at least not yet as today's close is still TBD. We will find out more data at today's close. They get back over, perhaps get a another rally going to at least fill the gap, and then the big question would be trying to hold above the 50 day and this pivot area once more.

W094utQ.png

Current setup as of right now on QQQ daily chart as it filled the gap and then failed to stay above 369-370. Now trying to avoid making a lower low on the daily chart.

f8EVd5A.png

100 day approaching, plus another breakout area retest. So might have another bounce play incoming, but we just had a sell the rip moment in the QQQ. Though to be fair, the day isn't over yet. However, today made 370 pretty important area on the QQQ too for it to try and get back over.

I'd like to see QQQ approaching 340 before going heavier (which would only a 10% correction).

Not a bad plan. Will have to see how QQQ reacts at different pivot areas. Could be heading to fill that open gap around 348. Plus I'm still watching closely the small cap/value/reopening trade vs tech/hyper growth, because it still looks like a rotation as these plays still look stronger today on the sell off. But these things can now change on a dime daily now with how fast the markets move.

Last edited:

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
I want to rebuy some TTCF stocks, but not sure when.
TTCF is a stock that isn't really affected by any of the broader market issues, unless it is one of the days like today where most everything gets sold off. For something like this I would just pick a point and scale in on every dip. That's basically what I did with SOFI, I scaled in on dips below 15 because it is more of a spec stock like TTCF and isn't really correlated to the broader markets. But SOFI is also a longer term holding for me too, and I'm not going to sell it unless something with the way the company does business goes poorly. Basically going to hold it through all the ups and downs for 3 to 5 years.

For TTCF price targets, from 17 to 18.50 is basically a buy zone price target. It bounced around 16 multiple times, and a couple times at 15 too. With a nice breakout around 13 that you would really want the stock to hold, because a break below here could go to 11 or lower.

Last edited:

Neo C.

Nov 9, 2017
TTCF is a stock that isn't really affected by any of the broader market issues, unless it is one of the days like today where most everything gets sold off. For something like this I would just pick a point and scale in on every dip. That's basically what I did with SOFI, I scaled in on dips below 15 because it is more of a spec stock like TTCF and isn't really correlated to the broader markets. But SOFI is also a longer term holding for me too, and I'm not going to sell it unless something with the way the company does business goes poorly. Basically going to hold it through all the ups and downs for 3 to 5 years.

For TTCF price targets, from 17 to 18.50 is basically a buy zone price target. It bounced around 16 multiple times, and a couple times at 15 too. With a nice breakout around 13 that you would really want the stock to hold, because a break below here could go to 11 or lower.
Last two times I was able to buy it around 16, but I think I'll jump in at around 18.

Deleted member 70788

Jun 2, 2020
VMNT up 17% today for who knows why. I'll hold onto that one.

NetMapel

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of speculations with what's happening in China as well due to the recent power outages. I think the issue with it is that they really don't have clear indications of stopping. So businesses and manufacturers are potentially looking at some tough decisions as it's clearly not a good idea to operate a business in a place that can have random electricity outage in the foreseeable future. Some speculations go as far as to suggest that those provincial and local governments are basically "rebelling" against the central government. The rebelling would be due to the fact that the central government keeps making it harder for local governments to balance their books or pay for their operational expenses. So they would follow the environmental policy set by the central government verbatim, thus causing the electricity outage due to closing coal power.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of speculations with what's happening in China as well due to the recent power outages. I think the issue with it is that they really don't have clear indications of stopping. So businesses and manufacturers are potentially looking at some tough decisions as it's clearly not a good idea to operate a business in a place that can have random electricity outage in the foreseeable future. Some speculations go as far as to suggest that those provincial and local governments are basically "rebelling" against the central government. The rebelling would be due to the fact that the central government keeps making it harder for local governments to balance their books or pay for their operational expenses. So they would follow the environmental policy set by the central government verbatim, thus causing the electricity outage due to closing coal power.

I don't think it's rebelling but moreso that local governments have zero tools to meet the targets as set by the central government. The only way to meet them is to cut usage.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I am left wondering if we are heading into a global economic crisis or massive amounts of wealth being invested wherever it would be most secure to do so to to shift production out of China. All of this happening at a time of rapidly increasing automation.

Can a country be too big to fail?

SanderGT

Banned
Apr 24, 2021
Hi,
My Dad died a few years ago and seems he held some stock and his bank is asking me to sign a waiver declaration.

Can anybody shed some light?

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining

Could very well be another 6+ month approval suspension like 2 years ago. Article was an interesting read and to be frank if you play games. Chances are you'll see at least one type of game you've played be considered problematic by censors now. The Twitter thread also has some accompanying information and even mentions that content in big games like Genshin Impact are not viewed favorably under these new rules and guidelines.

China is still the biggest gaming market in the world and will still be so after these new clamp downs happen. But I'd definitely avoid buying into any Chinese gaming companies right now. As it could be many months before they are able to sell new games.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
I've joined a number of stock discords and so far none of it has been working for me. Everyone acts like they're making bunches of money but it seems hard to believe to me. All this stuff seems like a grift to me.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
I've joined a number of stock discords and so far none of it has been working for me. Everyone acts like they're making bunches of money but it seems hard to believe to me. All this stuff seems like a grift to me.
Most people that are posting about stocks on large public discord's are people building an online brand and just want to play up the idea that they are the smartest investor in the room. Or at least that's been my experience with it.

Though my new personal favorite layer of hell are the ones going "I can invest tens of thousands of dollars thanks to this little thing called leveraging".

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
Most people that are posting about stocks on large public discord's are people building an online brand and just want to play up the idea that they are the smartest investor in the room. Or at least that's been my experience with it.

Though my new personal favorite layer of hell are the ones going "I can invest tens of thousands of dollars thanks to this little thing called leveraging".

Yeah, exactly. Every stock picker out there including me is wrong and just get lucky breaks from time to time.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
Pump and dumps. GME, AMC, penny stocks, etc., it's almost always pump and dumps.

Yeah, exactly. Every stock picker out there including me is wrong and just get lucky breaks from time to time.

Yeah I've especially noticed if you throw out bunches of tickers and just brag about the good ones, it's easy to make yourself look good

pvin626

Nov 16, 2017
My only advice if you are joining discords. Is to not take any calls that the "leaders" or whatever post, chances are they are already front-loaded. You might catch a few runners here and there if you time your entries right and the confluence is there. If they have an education section I would suggest just using them for that. I got a lot of free material from certain discords that really helped my day trading.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
For newcomers, I always recommend the Trading with Rayner tutorials. Then start trading either through a paper account or ETFs that aren't as volatile. It you want to continue, you can start learning more things for yourself and not have to rely on someone else. You can find out what works better for you and what doesn't, because there is not a one size fits all method to trading. It isn't bad to take trade ideas from it others, but I'm always wary of Discord pumps, as the first person in can dump their shares to you. When you can start trading on your own, you look at the charts and decide for yourself if you want to get in. Otherwise, you can be caught in scams with people that have more money than you. Such as....

Not to mention, the best traders still lose like 20-25% of the time. If you don't want to be motivated to be in this top rate, I wouldn't even try and just hold ETFs (which there is nothing wrong with). Because if the best still lose 1/4 to 1/5 of the time, what is the win rate of everyone else? Plus trading is almost like any other skill you want to learn. You need to practice by looking at different charts over and over. It isn't too hard understanding concepts. But then you have to apply them in real time, so this is where scanning chart after chart helps. Over time you will start picking up on things you might have missed on the first 100/200/500 charts you looked at.

This is also why it is arguably more important to learn how to lose, because you can have the perfect setup and it can still go wrong. This doens't mean you go into a trade looking to lose. Just that you need to know how to react if the trade doesn't go the way you want. This means cutting your losses quickly to avoid a huge drawdown. Preserve your capital for another trade.

Last edited: