• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
BANNER-1-940x240.png

BUY: Humble, Steam, GoG
Platform(s): Windows PC, Mac, Linux
Release Date: May 25th, 2021
Genre: Point-and-click adventure
Price: $13.49 USD / £10.25 GBP
Player(s): 1
Format: Digital
Developer: Wormwood Studios
Publisher: Wadjet Eye Games

SYNOPSIS
"You awake in a nightmarish carnival and watch a golden-haired woman hurl herself down a bottomless well for your sake. You seek clues and help from jeering ravens, an eyeless scribe, a living furnace, a mismade mermaid, and many more who dwell within the park. All the while, a shadow shrieks from atop a towering roller-coaster, and you know that until you destroy this Dark Thing, the woman will keep jumping, falling, and dying, over and over again…"

FEATURES
  • A brand new adventure from the makers of Primordia!
  • Approximately five hours of gameplay, replayable thanks to different choices, different puzzle solutions, and different endings​
  • Dozens of rooms to explore, with variant versions as the carnival grows ever more twisted​
  • An eccentric cast, including a sideshow freak, a telepathic starfish, an animatronic fortune-teller, and a trio of masqueraders​
  • Full, professional voice over and hours of original music​
  • A rich, thematic story about identity, loss, self-doubt, and redemption​
  • Integrated, in-character hint system (optional, of course)​
  • Hours of developer commentary and an "annotation mode" (providing on-screen explanations for the references woven throughout the game)​
MEDIA

Ego.gif

rainshorter.gif

Strangeland_Screenshot08.png

ss_aaf83e83ec7a6c123697b03c877fd4e538cd823c.1920x1080.jpg

Screenshot_Strangeland_02.jpg

Strangeland-2021-04-12-11-14-29-89.png

Strangeland-2021-04-12-11-18-12-45.png

Screenshot_Strangeland_03.png

Screenshot_Strangeland_04.png

REVIEWS
OpenCritic | Metacritic
Steam user reviews: Very Positive (74)​

Alice Bell (Rock Paper Shotgun)

" As a work of horror Strangeland is doing way more interesting things than yer Outlasts, for example... It's an interesting suberversion, because dying is often how you know you've failed a puzzle in a point and click game. I mean, it's famously a failstate in most games, and Strangeland is making a definite choice - one that contrasts with the ultimate revelation that in reality death is pretty final.

You can rip through Strangeland in a morning, if you feel like it. You'll either love everything that is implied by a creepy carnival and funhouse mirrors and the black dog and the giant crab, and engage really well with all the back-and-forth wordplay and the layers of meaning, or you'll hate it. All that Donnie Darko bullshit. Who has the time? But it's a bit of a shame if you're one of the latter, because the depression goo is mixed up with some very nice puzzle design."
Jesse Gregoire (Adventure Gamers)

"Wormwood Studios made an impressive debut in 2012 with Primordia, so expectations were high for their long-awaited follow-up, and it does not disappoint. Unlike their earlier postapocalyptic sci-fi adventure, Strangeland is a surrealist, psychologic horror adventure that feels like it was drawn by H.R. Giger, designed by M.C. Escher, and written by Aeschylus. It's a polished, well-written, well-acted and intriguing interactive nightmare that is easily worth your time—if you can stomach the unrelenting depressive tone and disturbing imagery."

Alexis Ong (Indie Game Website)

"There are oblique hints of Peake's Gormenghast books: not so much the dysfunctional pseudo-medieval politics, but the oppressive, inescapable atmosphere and the glacial illusion of 'progress' as you creep through the game. Strangeland is, as the designers have discussed via Steam posts, an exploration of sadness prompted by events in their personal lives; including this Gormenghast quote: 'In the presence of real tragedy you feel neither pain nor joy nor hatred, only a sense of enormous space and time suspended, the great doors open to black eternity, the rising across the terrible field of that last enormous, unanswerable question.'

I would like to play that game. Doing more with less is underrated, and it's hard to create something vast and unknowable if you build it around recognizable genre tropes that prevent you from doing something truly interesting. One of the neatest parts of Strangeland is, in fact, a tarot-reading sequence that requires a little bit of basic memory, dramatic introspection and imagination. It's a nice balance of arcane divination, mystery, and a pinch of meta-commentary—after all, tarot was mostly originally used as gaming cards. Seeing how the reading reappeared later in the narrative is a neat touch, and if anyone wants to make a point-and-click tarot adventure around this idea, I'd love to play it."​

Luke Kemp (PC Gamer)

"While there's an enormous amount to unpack and interpret, you don't have to take a scholarly approach to enjoy the game. If you're just looking for a surreal horror adventure, Strangeland can absolutely deliver that. However, the further you stray from interpreting its message, the more difficult it is to enjoy. Considered purely as a point-and-click game, Strangeland is not great. Considered purely as an artful exploration of difficult subjects, it's largely a success. The truth of the situation, of course, is that it's a mix of the two, which makes for an uneven experience.

I'm very glad for Strangeland: It's smart, unapologetically creepy and gloomy, and knows exactly what it wants to do. Should other games follow Strangeland's deep dark footsteps however, they'll need to do a better job of telling their stories with sharp and compelling game design."​

Kenzie Du (KeenGamer)

"Wormwood Studios developed Strangeland as a spiritual successor for their first title, Primordia. They add a science-fiction psychological horror experience to the Wadjet Eye Games portfolio, which includes critically acclaimed modern point-and-click adventures. Strangeland's themes and aesthetics draw parallels to games such as Sanitarium and I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream, complete with the high-quality classic art and stories that blur the line between the mundane and the cosmically horrific.

Strangeland is both a satisfying mystery and an atmospheric horror journey through a dark nightmare. Humor and tragedy collide to bring a literary experience for its players. Great puzzles, character writing, and multiple possible solutions give credit to its players while personalizing the path to one of the endings. Overall, Strangeland is a complete experience that masterfully balances grotesquerie and relatability."​

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
I just started playing this on Wednesday, hoping to make more progress over the bank holiday.

Wormwood's previous game, Primordia, is one of the all time P&C greats imo, if this even comes close to that it'll be great.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Messofanego

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I loved Primordia, and I had no idea it's been near a decade since it came out. Wadjet Eye published and developed games seem to be the cream of the crop for PnC adventure games these years.

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
Nice OP, looking forward to trying this.

Primordia is a legit classic for me. Great to see Wormwood back with another game.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia

thelongestj

Oct 27, 2017
Thank you for making the OT! It's different for sure and I can see how some that loved Primordia might not connect with this as much, but I still really appreciated it and am happy we got it.

OP
OP
Messofanego

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Has anyone actually played Darkseed? I've only watched a long-play. The Giger like skulls here remind me of it.
Dark_Seed_(DOS)_03.gif

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Early game, but I'm not enjoying this as much as Primordia. This is down to the deaths planting you back at the beginning, the constant "shrieks" that stop the action for 15 seconds, and seeing the well scene 20% of the time when you go through the central tent (which you have to do a *lot*) is really annoying.

Any one of them I wouldn't mind too much, but the combination of the three makes it pretty frustrating.

Last edited:

thelongestj

Oct 27, 2017
Early game, but I'm not enjoying this as much as Primordia. This is down to the deaths planting you back at the beginning, the constant "shrieks" that stop the action for 15 seconds, and seeing the well scene 20% of the time when you go through the central tent (which you have to do a *lot*) is really annoying.

Any one of them I wouldn't mind too much, but the combination of the three makes it pretty frustrating.
I was put off by that a bit too at the start. There is still death and repetition as the game goes on, but it's less frequent.

shoptroll

May 29, 2018
This is totally scratching the right itch for me. Only got about an hour in tonight but I see myself getting really close to finishing before the holiday weekend is over.

shoptroll

May 29, 2018
And done! I liked it. I'm not super big on intricate or crazy complex puzzles and I feel like this game knew well enough that people weren't going to be showing up for the puzzles. So it's kinda breezy but there was just enough resistance to keep me engaged all the way through. I also really liked what they did with dying in this one. And there was some really impressive economy of rooms in this game which makes for a really tight world to play in.

Lastly, I think this might be the best Abe Goldfarb performance that I've heard too. Really good job and nice to see him get a hefty role again.

On to Primordia!

EDIT: Forgot to add: I continue to be impressed by what people are able to do with AGS each year. The engine has been used in commercial games for 15 years now and people keep making really cool stuff with it. Utterly amazing.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Messofanego

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
And done! I liked it. I'm not super big on intricate or crazy complex puzzles and I feel like this game knew well enough that people weren't going to be showing up for the puzzles. So it's kinda breezy but there was just enough resistance to keep me engaged all the way through. I also really liked what they did with dying in this one. And there was some really impressive economy of rooms in this game which makes for a really tight world to play in.

Lastly, I think this might be the best Abe Goldfarb performance that I've heard too. Really good job and nice to see him get a hefty role again.

On to Primordia!

EDIT: Forgot to add: I continue to be impressed by what people are able to do with AGS each year. The engine has been used in commercial games for 15 years now and people keep making really cool stuff with it. Utterly amazing.
Thanks for the impressions, that's encouraging to hear.

As a huge fan of Primordia, I was looking forward to this one and finally put my first hours into it.

Atmosphere is great, graphics are top notch once more, and the bizarre imagery adds its own fascination. Fascinating yet disgusting. I kinda like how bleak it is. Much more than Primordia was already.
Voice acting is great as well. My favourite so far is 83.

While I do like how death is used, it does feel a bit cumbersome and some scenes are shown too often (even outside of the death cycle).
There is also the moment where you have to deal with those mouthes, and even the game admits, this is a far too tiresome and repetive task and puts the rest into a cutscene. But then why design it like that in the first place? Wouldn't one mouth have been enough?

I needed a walkthrough to get the phone number. While I did have a hunch, I couldn't really make it out from the sentence. Only after knowing the solution, could I make out how it was meant to be.
I did have to give them credit for adjusting it to different languages. As a non-native speaker, I thought reading it in German might help. But then, the sentence was completely different, leading to a complete different outcome. This confused me even more (it also collides a bit with another hint in the game), and from there, I was also not able to get it right. Digging up a walkthrough, I found the solution in German later, and while some digits seemed easier, I still find it hard to make out the correct ones.
E: What I meant to say is, that there are different correct combinations one can enter. So that it still works with a different language where the phonetics are different and the text has to be changed. While in English you get 4311013, it is 4017831 in German.
This stood out to me so far as a rather bad puzzle, needlessly convoluted.

Last edited:
And finished. Took me around 5 hours with reloading and looking at all the endings.

Atmosphere remains there strong point, just like Primordia. I absolutely love this grim, dark world and all those grotesque images. They really put that Giger artstyle to good use. Superb voice acting on top. (Next to 83, the Streammaid was killing it as well.) Only the story was a bit whatever overall.

I'm a bit torn on the reuse of places and items etc. On one hand, it's a pretty cool callback and fitting to the main theme, and seeing the different versions of the same places is kinda cool. On the other hand, it does feel a bit repetitive. There is a fine line inbetween. The final loop before the ending was close to being a bit cumbersome as well.

While the game went over my head a few times, I found the puzzles pretty manageable - aside from the one I described above. The ingame hint system is a pretty neat way to nudge you softly into the right direction.
Achivements also tell me, I did the shooting thing on the highest speed, to my own surprise. The thing is, I never left the close up after opening the controls, so never saw the note and just tried around a bit. It did seem slower to me, when I won, but maybe it was some sort of placebo and I just got super lucky. Thought it would be impossible with this speed, when I first tried shooting.
While Primordia had different solutions, I don't think this is present here? Or it is at least much more hidden than in Primordia. I wouldn't even call it a negative - I always get the feeling of missing something, if there are multiple ways. It was especially granting in Primordia, since you can miss out on important lore if you do something "wrong" at one point. Everything in Strangeland seems only related to achievements (I don't care for), but not affecting the outcome.

Very tiny and weird nitpick: I don't think the woman needed to show her naked ass. Of course it is not sexualized in any way, but with the overall problem of this happening within the gaming world, I just found it somewhat unnecessary.

Def recommended for fans of Primordia, or in general people who like PnCs with a bleak and thick atmosphere.

OP
OP
Messofanego

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
And finished. Took me around 5 hours with reloading and looking at all the endings.

Atmosphere remains there strong point, just like Primordia. I absolutely love this grim, dark world and all those grotesque images. They really put that Giger artstyle to good use. Superb voice acting on top. (Next to 83, the Streammaid was killing it as well.) Only the story was a bit whatever overall.

I'm a bit torn on the reuse of places and items etc. On one hand, it's a pretty cool callback and fitting to the main theme, and seeing the different versions of the same places is kinda cool. On the other hand, it does feel a bit repetitive. There is a fine line inbetween. The final loop before the ending was close to being a bit cumbersome as well.

While the game went over my head a few times, I found the puzzles pretty manageable - aside from the one I described above. The ingame hint system is a pretty neat way to nudge you softly into the right direction.
Achivements also tell me, I did the shooting thing on the highest speed, to my own surprise. The thing is, I never left the close up after opening the controls, so never saw the note and just tried around a bit. It did seem slower to me, when I won, but maybe it was some sort of placebo and I just got super lucky. Thought it would be impossible with this speed, when I first tried shooting.
While Primordia had different solutions, I don't think this is present here? Or it is at least much more hidden than in Primordia. I wouldn't even call it a negative - I always get the feeling of missing something, if there are multiple ways. It was especially granting in Primordia, since you can miss out on important lore if you do something "wrong" at one point. Everything in Strangeland seems only related to achievements (I don't care for), but not affecting the outcome.

Very tiny and weird nitpick: I don't think the woman needed to show her naked ass. Of course it is not sexualized in any way, but with the overall problem of this happening within the gaming world, I just found it somewhat unnecessary.

Def recommended for fans of Primordia, or in general people who like PnCs with a bleak and thick atmosphere.
Thanks for the review, always appreciate them! When is the bit with the nudity?

Thanks for the review, always appreciate them! When is the bit with the nudity?
Mostly in the beginning. Whenever the woman is shown, it is from behind. She's wearing some kind of patient gown, so her back is showing partly. As I said, no big deal per se and realistic in a way. I still thought a slip on her wouldn't have hurt. ^^
It is always a rather short clip and often repeating itself. Her only longer scene is at the end, and there she's shown from the front.

This is how it looks like at the very beginning of the game.
7.png

Later she's shown similar in a different location.