• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019

The successful show about the fucked up dysfunctional family that is the Murdochs *ahem*.....The Roys are back and it's shaping up to be a full on fucking war this time around.

SO, WHAT IS SUCCESSION?

It's a show on HBO and also available on HBO Max. I think you should watch it.

I mean, have you heard the opening theme? that shit is a banger!

www.youtube.com

Succession Opening Credits Theme Song | Succession | HBO

Season 2 First Episode theme song composed by Nicholas Britell. Season two episodes air Sundays at 9pm starting August 11 on HBO starring Brian Cox, Jeremy S...

Jokes aside, Succession is a satirical comedy-drama that dives deep into the family owned media business that is Waystar Royco which has interesting and frighteningly close parallels to the current media and business landscape.

The central plotline of the show as you can get from the title is....Succession.

• Logan Roy played by Brian Cox is the Founder, CEO and current major owner of Waystar Royco. A bully with a hot-head and the brash Patriarch of the Roys, who has the interests of his conglomerate at the front and center of his life rather than his own children. His old age has been subject to a rampant tabloid speculation as to who will succeeded him in taking over as the future leader of the company. He has 4 children from his previous marriages.

Kendall "Ken" Roy played by Jeremy Strong, the second child of Logan and the presumed successor, Kendall is struggling to prove his worth to his father amid bungling major deals and battling with substance abuse, as well as toiling to maintain a relationship with his estranged wife, Rava. He is keen to take over by any means necessary.

Siobhan "Shiv" Roy played by Sarah Snook, the third child of Logan Roy and his only daughter. She is a left-leaning individual who has worked as a political strategist with Logan's mortal political enemy Senator Gil Eavis who was running a campaign to the President of The United States. Currently, she is back with the family fold and assisting her father by being an Advisor of sorts.

Romulus "Roman" Roy played Kieran Culkin, the fourth child of Logan Roy and the youngest in the family. Roman is an immature and snarky brat who is always looking for ways to gain his father's attention. Currently named the COO of Waystar.

Connor Roy played by Alan Ruck is the eldest son of Logan Roy and the child mostly removed from the affairs of the family and Waystar Royco. Currently he is "running" for the seat of the President of the United States*

There some other high execs folks should keep an eye out for:

Gerri Kellman played by J.Smith-Cameron is the General Counsel at Waystar, a godmother to Siobhan and a "mentor" to Roman. Logan finds her to be a trustworthy ally.

Tom Wambsgams played by Matthew Macfayeden, husband to Siobhan and an overall nice dude**. He was married into the Roy family and was intially running the Cruise Business owned by Waystar but has since moved to and currently runs the ATN news division and one half of the best duo on television.

and finally and arguably the best character in the show and the other half of the best duo, Greg "The Egg" Hirsch played by Nicholas Braun. He is the grandson to Ewan Roy, brother of Patriarch Logan Roy and one that embodies the word "sneaky fuck". He is pals with Tom and together they try to piece together the fucksanity that is the Roy family. Although, he is quite timid in appearance. He is quite capable of looking after himself and creating pathways while leveraging his close ties with the Roys.

OK? ALL GOOD SO FAR?

So, now that you have an idea of who we are dealing with and assuming you are all caught up with the show. Here is where we are at by the end of Season 2 (roughly).

• The Cruise Line Allegations are running rampant. The media and the Roy's are chomping at the bit to figure out who will take the fall for the benefit of others on upper management at Waystar Royco and the company as a whole.

• Meanwhile during all this fiasco, Waystar is also trying to scramble together to find a plan to stop the takeover that was initiated by Sandy and Stewy with the help of Kendall at the tail end of Season 1.

• After some delicate thinking, Logan Roy decides Kendall Roy be offered as sacrifice for the company. Kendall agrees to take the fall. Kendall Roy to understand how his father truly feels about him asks Logan whether he is worthy enough to inherit Waystar Roy. Logan implies with a resounding NO and says that to be at the top you need to be a KILLER.

• Knowing all this, Kendall travels to a press conference from the family's Mediterranean Vacation decided to say FUCK IT and revealed to the public at said press conference how his father was in-fact aware of Waystar Royco's shady backdoor deals with their cruise line business with evidence seemingly at the hands of Greg (yes, that Machiavellian Fuck).

• Logan Roy is seemingly not in the nicest of places as his relationship with his wife Marcia is at its last strings thanks to his preemptive announcement at his birthday bash to make Rhea Jarrel as the new CEO of Waystar Royco which she declines at the rampant spread of the Waystar Allegations. Finally, on getting upended by his son Kendall, Logan has now gone FULL FUCKING BEAST.

RECAP FOR SEASON 1 AND 2.

and here is first clip for Season 3 of Succession (Spoiler Warning for Season 2 of Succession)

NEW CAST FOR SEASON 3:

Alexander Skarsgård as Lukas Matsson, a tech founder and CEO.

Sanaa Lathan as Lisa Arthur, a high profile, well-connected New York lawyer.

Linda Emond as Michelle-Anne Vanderhoven, a senior White House aide.

Jihae Kim as Berry Schneider, a leading public relations consultant.

Adrien Brody as Josh Aaronson, a billionaire activist investor who becomes involved in the ownership of Waystar.

Hope Davis as Sandi Furness, Sandy's daughter.

Dasha Nekrasova as Comfry, a crisis PR representative.

Justin Kirk as a firebrand right-wing Congressional candidate.

EPISODE SCHEDULE FOR THE SEASON

1​
"Secession"​
October 17, 2021​
2​
"Mass in Time of War"​
October 24, 2021​
3​
"The Disruption"​
October 31, 2021​
4​
"Lion in the Meadow"​
November 7, 2021​
5​
"Retired Janitors of Idaho"​
November 14, 2021​
6​
"Going for What It Takes"​
November 21, 2021​
7​
"Too Much Birthday"​
November 28, 2021​
8​
"Chiantishire"​
December 5, 2021​
9​
TBA
December 12, 2021​

(shamelessly ripped from Wikipedia)

Please keep in mind that this OT is created with the specific intention to discuss the new episodes on a weekly basis so there will be spoilers ahead for the new season and the seasons that have preceded. ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK.

A special shout-out to Channel 5 News for the OT title

Well then, I guess that's it.

Now, i'll see you all every Sunday at 9 PM ET and remember "You can't make a Tomelette without some breaking some Greggs"

*pending funding from his father
**I mean he did try to destroy and cover up sexual allegations, so maybe he isn't?

Last edited:

Valiant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

Let's goooo!

OP
OP
Helix

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
well shit. this came out a bit early. I have requested for a closure. sorry :(

Neece

Oct 27, 2017
Shit, reading the thread title, I thought I had my days mixed up and it was coming out Sunday.

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
if an episode leaks will this thread allow discussion before it officially airs? I want to know if I should stay away.

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
Hey OP, I did the S2 OT and would have appreciated a DM asking about the S3 OT.

Also, yeah this OT is early.

OP
OP
Helix

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
Hey OP, I did the S2 OT and would have appreciated a DM asking about the S3 OT.

Also, yeah this OT is early.

so sorry about that, I actually made the claim today and was intending to push this next week. Really didn't mean to upend you. I only volunteered to make the OT since no one claimed it.

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
so sorry about that, I actually made the claim today and was intending to push this next week. Really didn't mean to upend you. I only volunteered to make the OT since no one claimed it.

It's all good- was going to put something together next week and make the claim then since TV OTs tend to be a bit more informal. All yours though since you put in the work already.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
Was really excited thinking it was this Sunday. Oh well, 2 weeks isn't far away. And good job on the op, Helix!

OP
OP
Helix

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
It's all good- was going to put something together next week and make the claim then since TV OTs tend to be a bit more informal. All yours though since you put in the work already.

if you do have something prepared for the OT, then please do let me know and I'll add it with proper credit.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
You'll have to remind me to reopen the thread when you want it reopened!

SEASON 3 REVIEWS!
OP
OP
Helix

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
www.rottentomatoes.com

Succession: Season 3 | Rotten Tomatoes

Although he has no plans to step aside as the head of Waystar Royco, the international media conglomerate controlled by his family, aging patriarch Logan Roy is contemplating what the future holds. He has lingered in the limelight longer than even he thought he would, and now family members want...

CURENTLY SITTING AT A 100% ON RT.

Reviews from some Major Outlets and Presses:

www.hollywoodreporter.com

HBO’s ‘Succession’ Season 3: TV Review

As the hit series returns, will Logan Roy, his scheming children and his sometimes loyal consiglieres be as vicious, hilarious and tapped into the zeitgeist as when we saw them last, in 2019?

variety.com

‘Succession,’ Stronger Than Ever, Builds Its Third Season Around a Family Civil War: TV Review

Kendall and Logan go to war in 'Succession' Season 3, which is stronger than ever.

www.rollingstone.com

'Succession' Season 3 Is a F**king Killer

The Roy family is back — and divided — in a season that's bigger, badder, and bloodthirstier than ever. Read Alan Sepinwall's review

www.thewrap.com

Succession Season 3 Review: Roy Family Feud Gets Personal

COVID delayed the return of HBO's "Succession" for two years, but the new season is worth the wait as the Roy siblings make and break alliances

ew.com

The long-delayed third season of 'Succession' doesn't disappoint

After a two-year break, HBO's Emmy-winning drama 'Succession' returns with a kinetic and affecting third season featuring a Roy versus Roy showdown.

Bobson Dugnutt

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
should have kept the "can't make a tomlette without breaking a few eggs" line in the bank for season 4 or some shit. How are you gonna top that.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
God dammit, I saw this and thought it was airing this weekend.

Why is the OT out so early? It's kinda crap too.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Between Spooktober and the deluge of games coming out I had to skip my planned rewatch, but I'm hyped for Sunday. Can't believe it's been 2 years, which is sort of fitting given all the Mad Men comparisons (that I still don't really agree with).