• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
Why is the canal so thin?

You'd think economical interests would've lobbied for an expansion a long time ago.
The canal is not thin, it's the ship that's super big, they always make the ship to the absolute size limit possible.

605cb1e4106eb50019d05958

Silver-Streak

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if longterm they reduce the max size of ships that can use the canal. Like, this one is wedged by ~10 feet on each size, right?

How much would they have to reduce max size to ensure that if it were to happen again, the ship could free rotate?

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
What's the average speed of container ships?

How long would it take to go around Africa?

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
This giant boat being stuck reminds me of the time I ate an entire box of kashi in an evening.

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
That's not too bad. I wonder how many ships will decide to stay and wait or travel all the way around.

It does raise fees considerably as you need a lot more fuel etc.

Yup:
www.reuters.com

Suez Canal steps up efforts to free stuck vessel, U.S. watches energy market impact

By Nadine Awadalla, Jessica Jaganathan, Roslan Khasawneh and Julia Payne

Reeling from the blockage in the Suez Canal, shipping rates for oil product tankers have nearly doubled this week, and several vessels were diverted away from the vital waterway as a giant container ship remained wedged between both banks.

"Around 20% of Asia's naphtha is supplied by the Mediterranean and Black Sea via the Suez Canal," said Sri Paravaikkarasu, director for Asia oil at FGE, adding that re-routing ships around the Cape of Good Hope could pile about two more weeks to the voyage and more than 800 tonnes of fuel consumption for Suezmax tankers.

Fuel is a ship's single biggest cost, representing up to 60% of operating expenses.

+ the ships are gonna be tied up longer each trip so there's gonna less volume shipped in total.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
If it's shallow on the edges then isn't there also a risk if the ships are pointing the right way but drift over to the sides? They need barriers to prevent that or keep things nudged toward the middle - should never need to turn any significant angle

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely. But if they ever want to make the Suez wider, it will need to come with a rule no ships longer than 400m so this can't happen anymore.
That rule already exists (which is why these ships max out at 400m).

There's quite a few posts saying that if they made the canal wider, ships would just get bigger, but the SCA sets the rules on what's allowed into the canal. If they widened the canal they absolutely could keep the current restrictions. The problem with widening the canal isn't that ships would get bigger, the problem is that widening the canal would be extremely expensive and difficult in both the short and long term, and widening it and keeping the existing restrictions would mean that the only benefit would be avoiding this specific incident.

I wonder if longterm they reduce the max size of ships that can use the canal. Like, this one is wedged by ~10 feet on each size, right?

How much would they have to reduce max size to ensure that if it were to happen again, the ship could free rotate?
If they reduce the size of ships that can use the canal then they restrict the canal to all the ships that were built specifically to Suezmax specs. That's not a small amount.

What's the average speed of container ships?

How long would it take to go around Africa?
About 20 knots (~37kph) but this varies by things like ocean currents and how fuel efficient the ship owner wants to be. If fuel costs rise, shipping slows down a bit to make more efficient use of the fuel, for example.

The difference between journey times would depend heavily on where the ship was when the Suez closed, and where it's going. The SCA website has some nice little animations showing the distance for some sample journeys that will give some idea of the savings and how they vary.

For a cargo ship waiting outside the Suez right now with a destination somewhere in the Mediterranean, diverting around the Cape would mean circumnavigating essentially the entire continent of Africa (like the example in the Jeddah to Pireus animation on the SCA site where taking the Suez saves nearly ten thousand nautical miles). For a ship just now setting out from somewhere in Asia and going to Rotterdam, there's still a difference, but it's not as dramatic - Suez is "only" saving them ~3.3K nautical miles.

So the question of how much longer it would take a ship to go around Africa instead of using the Suez has lots of answers, but you can generally think of it as being between three and ten thousand additional nautical miles, at 20 knots (nautical miles) per hour, giving additional times ranging from 150 additional hours (nearly a week) to 500 additional hours (almost exactly three weeks). That's not including any additional stops that might be necessary for refueling.

Jisgsaw

Oct 27, 2017
The difference between journey times would depend heavily on where the ship was when the Suez closed, and where it's going. The SCA website has some nice little animations showing the distance for some sample journeys that will give some idea of the savings and how they vary.
Nice animations.
Stupid question as someone that knows nothing about naval travels: why do the routes take a very wide breath around capetown, but hug the north west africa coast tightly? Seems to add a couple hundred NN for no reason at all...

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
Nice animations.
Stupid question as someone that knows nothing about naval travels: why do the routes take a very wide breath around capetown, but hug the north west africa coast tightly? Seems to add a couple hundred NN for no reason at all...
Fairly sure there's some artistic liberty involved there.

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017

It's not turned 90° as you can see in some of those top down images.

2200.jpg

I can't find the number for the width of the canal in this part but it looks like you'd have to shrink it by about half to make it fit sideways. Keep in mind that the canal doesn't have a rectangular cross section, it's deeper in the center than the sides so the ship can't move in the entirety of the water covered area.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
Nice animations.
The major shipping lanes follow the ocean currents & trade winds

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Here's an example : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seawaymax . That's the biggest you can use if your goal is to go from the Atlantic to the midwest ports (Chicago, Cleveland et al). Also:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panamax
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suezmax
Thanks for the links :)
I was at work so I couldnt really easily look for info. Panamax is also fun because they buidl a new size Panama in the last decades which ended up ust creating a new bigger tier of ships.
And they only really build an expansion because it was starting to become financially intelligent to sail around South America in bigger ships than using smaller ships through Panama.

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
Thanks for the links :)
I was at work so I couldnt really easily look for info. Panamax is also fun because they buidl a new size Panama in the last decades which ended up ust creating a new bigger tier of ships.
And they only really build an expansion because it was starting to become financially intelligent to sail around South America in bigger ships than using smaller ships through Panama.
They just called it New Panamax. Not very original, I would have gone with Panamax Pro, Panamax 360s or my favorite "Max Panamax Series Max".

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry I'm sure this has been answered, tried reading through a few pages, but how did it get stuck like that? Did they try to turn around or something? Did it drift too far to one side and the front got stuck and the momentum swung the backside around and jammed it?

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry I'm sure this has been answered, tried reading through a few pages, but how did it get stuck like that? Did they try to turn around or something? Did it drift too far to one side and the front got stuck and the momentum swung the backside around and jammed it?

Huge gust of wind and over correction. These ships are massive and offer a huge area to take the wind. Sure they are 200k tons but they offer a near perfect flat side acting as a sail...

SeaSilver

Banned
Dec 28, 2020
This giant boat being stuck reminds me of the time I ate an entire box of kashi in an evening.
LOL! How ever did you manage? I eat Kashi and it's a nice healthy cereal but not exactly super enticing. There's no way I'd just plow through a whole box without adding extra sugar somehow...

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands

as mentioned, wind + overcorrection. And the canal does not have a uniform depth so it ran aground

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
It's way early for me, so I'm unclear if you're joking or not. Is it actually 20 feet in length that got it stuck? I assumed that even though it's trapped by 10 feet each side currently, it could still be stuck at other angles if it continues to rotate.
Yes sorry - was being silly - i think proper, reasonable, people have answered it properly now - it's a long way off fitting sideways.

B4mv

Nov 2, 2017
So is there some major plan in place to do something about this, or are people still just scratching their heads?
I've been waiting for the big plan, and it just hasn't come it seems.

PBalfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
The talk about the canal sizes got me looking up how the limitations affect war ships. Modern supercarriers can't fit through the canals - it's easier to go around thanks to being nuclear powered. WWII-era carriers could fit once they removed or folded up some of their exterior elements. The Iowa class battleship was 108 feet and 6 inches wide, compared to the Panama canal's width at the time being 110 feet, so it juuuuuuust squeezed through with less than 2 feet to spare.

main-qimg-dc5d6836858a2b8ea805d0a09f42b165-c