• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

OSHAN

Oct 27, 2017
I enjoyed it more than I thought I would, especially since I find GotG2 near unwatchable. It definitely felt like someone told Gunn this is the last movie you'll ever make, for better or worse. It's a bit bloated, but there's moment of poignancy i didn't expect. It's also the most I've enjoyed Robbie's Quinn.

It's a movie that would thrive in a packed theater, though. Feels like those days are over for good.

DarkSora

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I forgot the actors name but I swear the guy who played Polka Dot man looks like Colin Greenwood from Radiohead.

Classy Tomato

Jun 2, 2019
That's my only real complaint about the movie, I really wanted him to live. With him dying none of the full tilt joke characters make it. Ratcatcher historically feels like a joke character but compared to Polka Dot Man she's on another level.

I might have been more ok with it if it'd been more 'heroic' but it's kind of silly that neither her nor Bloodsport saw the attack coming.

Considering his powers if there's a sequel I wouldn't be surprised at him being resurrected.
Yeah, I'm more than okay if he died. He wanted to die anyway. However, after he told his backstory and the fact that he wanted to die, I was kinda expecting his "I'm A SUPERHERO" moment was when he sacrificed himself. I know it's a total cliche, but at least it somewhat justifies his character in the movie. Although it's possible that Gunn wants the movie to divert from superhero movies' tropes as much as possible.

I still enjoy the movie though.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
What is everyone's thought about this particular thing both movies do:

In both Suicide Squad movies there's a moment where it is demonstrated the real threat of the bombs in their necks.

How do you think it was handled in both versions? This is basically Slipknot's death vs Savant's death. How effective are they to make the point across? What do you think about the build up? What did you feel while watching them?
It's not even comparable, the sequel did it better.

The first film pathetically dumps Slipknot in at the last second with basically no introduction, making it clear immediately he's just bomb fodder. It was already obvious from how lame a character he was that he was the jobber, but they didn't even try to hide it by giving him the same extended introduction all the other characters (except Katana) got. The sequel wisely follows Savant instead as if he's going to be a major character, and leads the viewer to think he'll save the day as some kind of badass, instead he loses his nerve and tries to flee.

Speaking of deaths

I'm glad Gunn gave Flag's death its proper due. While Polka Dot's was played for laughs, he was a gag character albeit a great one, Flag's clearly mattered in the film and it's given the appropriate tragedy.

Apr 19, 2018
A surreal music choice for such a surreal moment. I loved it:

www.youtube.com

The Suicide Squad Soundtrack | King Shark and the Clyrax (feat. Jessica Rotter) – John Murphy

King Shark and the Clyrax (feat. Jessica Rotter), a new song from the #OfficialSoundtrack of The Suicide SquadMusic by: John MurphyAvail now: https://lnk.to/...

Other than a select few tracks toward the end though, I think I enjoyed Steven Price's music score for the first Suicide Squad over John Murphy's work here. Whatever else can be said for Enchantress, she sure had a great music theme.

Fiddle

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Great movie, but man the score for this sucked imo. Kinda deflated a lot of the emotional scenes for me. Felt like a cheap "epic" movie score.

AusGeno

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fantastic movie and I have to give props to the audio mixing, I watched it at night and didn't have to ride the remote the whole time to balance the talking and the action. Just clear dialogue the whole way through.

FullMetalTech

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, New York
I thought it was ok. Got some laughs from me here and there. Idris was great as well as Polka Dot and Ratcatcher2. Wish they did more with Capaldi honestly and the story. I thought id enjoy it more but it fell a little flat for me.

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
I thought it was ok. Got some laughs from me here and there. Idris was great as well as Polka Dot and Ratcatcher2. Wish they did more with Capaldi honestly and the story. I thought id enjoy it more but it fell a little flat for me.

Pretty sure this is Capaldi in the start of this trailer. It's a pretty good short monologue but I don't remember it at all happening in the actual movie. Would have been really good.

Boogiepop

Oct 25, 2017
Really enjoyed it, but gotta say I'm surprised
Starro didn't manage to take over anyone significant really. A definite rarity for the character's appearances, haha, and even if they seemingly went for "you can't be de-Starro'd" (presumably to make murdering those civilians less morally questionable?) still kinda funny it didn't happen. Not that I feel like the movie was especially off for it, just caught me off guard.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Just saw this (thanks Xfinity for giving me free access to HBO Max!!)

It is .....alot....better than the other one. The opening was wild and took me totally by surprise. Was caught completely off guard.

I think I'm blind. I thought it was Flag surviving in the postcredits instead of Peacemaker.
I thogut so too, until they started describing him and it didnt make sense.

I was pissed, pissed at both Flag getting killed and his punk ass surviving.

Apr 19, 2018
The scene with Polka Dot Man in the woods....

.... puking up dots was both pretty-looking and gross at the same time. xD

Oct 25, 2017
The Suicide Squad out of Context:
dc29110c257bdb2ef03bd2e267ba44da8e1439e9.jpg

doops.

Jun 3, 2020
Was really blown away by how much of this movie was 'just okay'. The Bloodsport and Peacemaker assassination showdown scene was fantastic, and really set the tone for me as to how much I was probably gonna enjoy the rest of it. But after that scene, the rest of the movie just kind of... tapered off for me?

It's a damn shame considering that both GOTGs (the second one moreso for me personally) are my two favourite Marvel movies, and how much I love the characters and writing in those movies. Even though I really liked the characters in this (Bloodsport and Ratcatcher 2 especially), it just never came close to reaching the same level of enjoyment that Guardians 1 did for me.

Also, the entire internet has been talking nonstop about how 'surprisingly emotional and heartbreaking' this movie is, but... it wasn't really??? Like the Ratcatcher moment at the end was kinda heartfelt but nothing in the movie stood out to me as having any kind of 'emotional depth', at least on the level of GOTG 1&2.

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Overly long I felt, could have tightened up some parts I feel but what do I know. Has made me want to rewatch the original film, and oh look it's on Netflix, to see how it holds up now, it being a film I did not hate at the time (nor love). I did not laugh nor cry so some of the praise it is getting in here was lost on me. I like how it actually had a political message, and a negative American one at that. So all in all, a fine movie, bit long, I always enjoy Robbie as Harley and the rest of the acting was good too.

OneTrueJack

Aug 30, 2020
Fun fact:

Gunn's first pitch was rejected. He was going to make Superman the villain (controlled) but WB said hell nah.

That's because they had the Suicide Squad game with Superman as a villain I think lol
If true then that's hilarious to me.

"Actually Mr. Gunn, we already have our 'ruin the Superman brand even further' quota met for this financial year. Is there anything else you'd like to do?"

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
So was there something going on between
Flag and Harley
Or am I just like a young adult reader and seeing shipping in everything

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
I love that John Ostrander (comics writer of the squad and creator of Waller) got to reprise his cameo.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
I was pretty torn up when Flag die (how the hell did Gunn make me care about him!?), but his final lines were some great last words to go out on.

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Since I saw people doing it on twitter, I thought about and this is probably my personal rankings of the DCEU now:

E8MSp5aXEAAg393

Though honestly, there's kind of a gap between the top 3 and the rest for me lol

May 10, 2018
I'm assuming it's a combination of HBO Max, sharing the name with the previous film and the rise in Covid cases again but man the theater is dead compared to when I saw Quiet Place 2 and Black Widow.

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This movie was fantastic.

When they realized they had just killed the entire camp of friendly rebels lol

Stat

Oct 25, 2017

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Thought it was okay. Does things way better than the first thats for sure. Did a whole lot of a big movie sin I personally hate and ruins movies for me though.
killing friendly/civilians gruesomely and just for a gag. I hate this shit so much, completely takes me out of movies/stories instantly. Maybe its worse imo cause they set it up beforehand that they were friendly instead of the audience realizing it at the same time as the squad. Also Waller being somewhat a joke here? really? she was the only good part of the first movie

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I was pretty torn up when Flag die (how the hell did Gunn make me care about him!?), but his final lines were some great last words to go out on.

I love the way Flag will be remembered for two lines:
  1. Peacemaker... What a joke.
  2. This is Katana. She's got my back. She can cut all of you in half with one sword stroke, just like mowing the lawn. I would advise not getting killed by her. Her sword traps the souls of its victims.

Shemhazai

Aug 13, 2020
I'm assuming it's a combination of HBO Max, sharing the name with the previous film and the rise in Covid cases again but man the theater is dead compared to when I saw Quiet Place 2 and Black Widow.
It's possible a lag in word of mouth, HBO Max, and Covid. Speaking from my experiences in the UK, launch night last week the cinema was very empty when I saw it in Birmingham's Odeon, but I went to see it again last night at a Vue in Worcester and it was completely full.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've legit been crying laughing over "They killed Milton!" "….Milton was still with us??" "Who's Milton?!" all morning lmao