• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
I tested my Soundcore Life P2's and Q30's and both have a pretty minimal amount of delay. But I noticed some audio distortion and an occasional hissing sound

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Just adding my contribution. My Sony WH-CH700N has significant delay and would be unusable in my opinion. My AirPods Pro on the other hand while it has some slight noticeable delay, some games would probably be tolerable with this. In both cases though, you can certainly tell there is latency.

empo

Jan 27, 2018
tested jabra move wireless, sennheiser 4.40 bt and my active speakers (not that I would ever have a use case for bt on them)
can't really tell if they have wildly different latency but for me they are all unplayable, the sennheisers have pretty much unlistenable quality and hissing as well

I'll keep packing my koss kph30i if I plan on playing handheld

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Used my Bose QC 35 II and I couldn't notice any delay over Bluetooth.

The latency is horrible if the Switch is paired to both wireless headphones and a wireless controller, though.

Martin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I also post it here:

Okay, I did the latency test in Cadence of Hyrule and I'm impressed.

I'm using a day 1 launch Switch with AirPods Pros.

Latency handheld mode without headphones:

img_0166h8k0c.jpg

Latency handheld mode with bluetooth headphones:

img_0167nuku7.jpg

So yeah, if a rhythm game has some calibration tool, I can totally play those games with bluetooth headphones. But also I'm impressed by the latency when compared to my gulikit adapter

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
I have Zolo Liberty wireless earbuds and they are terribly delayed. For context, I jumped in Super Mario World and the jump sound did not play until Mario reached the apex of a full hold jump...is bad...

SkekesisVR

Jan 2, 2018
Anyone tried the razer hammerhead true wireless pro on switch yet?

Please keep us updated on your experience!

I have the Razer True Wireless Earbuds and besides taking a long time to get the initial pair with the switch, they work great in gaming mode and have no noticeable lag for me. I had been using them with the homespot usb-c adpater before this, and it defintely works and sounds better than it was coming out of that adapter. The maximum volume is about 3x what it was before which is amazing.

André

Oct 25, 2017
Europe
Tested my OnePlus Bullets Wireless Z set. Audio quality is surprisingly acceptable. Unfortunately, there is a slightly noticeable delay. It's a frustrating one, too, because if it were just 10% better, it wouldn't bother me at all.

xewind

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Paired my nintendo switch with my Pixel Buds 2 and to my surprise is just a slighty delay that really doesn't annoy me. For some reason a I get a worse delay playing games on my Pixel 4 XL with the buds on.

b3llydrum

Feb 21, 2018
I know nobody asked for this but I was surprised it wasn't in the OP.
I compiled all the opinions under their respective bluetooth devices, sectioned them off by subjective level of latency, and alphabetized them

Disclaimer: All of the below are anecdotal and come from the previous comments in this thread

Unnoticeable or no delay

Bose QuietComfort 35 II
- "couldn't notice any delay over Bluetooth" - Apopheniac

Google Pixel Buds A-Series
- "virtually no lag ... hard/borderline impossible to notice" - Killthem

Jabra Elite 75t

Jaybird Tarah Pro
- "works fine without any noticeable audio delay" - NoWayOut

Logitech Z337
- "no (noticeable) lag at all" - Doctor Phishshoe

Mpow Flame
- "work fine, and I don't detect eny apparent lag" - NeonBorealis

Razer Hammerhead True Wireless Earbuds
- "they work great in gaming mode and have no noticeable lag for me" - SkekesisVR

Minor but mostly unbothersome delay

Apple AirPods
- "you can tell there's a delay" - Descapp
- "working fine I think" - Mbolibombo
- "slight delay" - b3llydrum
- "noticeable" - kimbo99
- "maybe a little lag but it's very very small, hard to notice while playing" - Nintenleo

Apple AirPods 2
- "slight delay" - Ashler
- "slight delay" - Hopz2Brew
- "I can bear it ... still noticeable" - Putosaure
- "minor delay that didn't seem too bad" - Kevers

Apple AirPods Pro
- "impressed [at the ~39ms latency according to Cadence of Hyrule's latency calibration]" - Martin
- "while it has some slight noticeable delay, some games would probably be tolerable with this" - Darknight

Apple Beats Powerbeats
- "tiiiiiniest bit of delay" - super etrian odyssey

Apple Beats Powerbeats Pro
- "very slight delay. Maybe 50ms" - Anustart

Edifier W800BT
- "The latency didn't bother me at all, should be in the 100ms~200ms range maybe." - El Buga

JBL Charge 4 (speaker)
- "The latency didn't bother me at all, should be in the 100ms~200ms range maybe." - El Buga

Google Pixel Buds Gen 2
- "slighty delay that really doesn't annoy me" - xewind

Sennheiser MOMENTUM True Wireless 2
- "Slight lag but not very noticeable to me" - Legacy

Skullcandy Indy Evo True Wireless Earbuds
- "delay is slight. Not that noticeable." - SpScarecrow

SLS-100 Wireless Bluetooth Headphones
- "noticeable" - Reinhardt Schneider

Sony h.ear on 2
- "noticeable but minor" - Perkin_Warbeck

Sony WI-SP500 In-Ear Sports Wireless Headphones
- "minor lag (100ms?), Switch volume and earbuds volume are not linked" - MarcelRguez

Soundcore Life P2
- "pretty minimal amount of delay" - RedHeat

Soundcore Life Q30

Noticeable and bothersome delay

Apple Airpods 2
- "very noticeable. I'll continue to use wired" - Disco Infernal

Bose QuietComfort 35 II
- "Not crazy bad delay, but it was there (inevitably). The sound quality was notably worse than a wired connection" - Pineconn

Samsung Galaxy Buds
- "lag is certainly noticeable" - hergipotter

Google Pixel Buds
- "like a half second delay" - DarkSora

Jabra Elite Active 65t
- "pretty bad" - colui

Mi True Wireless Earbuds
- "latency is very distracting" - Fezan

OnePlus Bullets Wireless Z
- "slightly noticeable delay ... if it were just 10% better, it wouldn't bother me at all" - André

POM Gear Smart Pods
- "like a 1 second delay" - Zombegoast

Sennheiser HD 4.50 BT
- "Too much of a delay for me for regular use" - LuigiV

Sony h.ear on 2
- "there's a noticable delay of about half a second" - HandsomeCharles
- "noticeable lag connected directly to the Switch, of a fraction of a second but enough that I won't be using them" - LouieGeetoo

Soundcore Liberty Air 2
- "half a second delay" - Shibata100

Xiaomi Mi True Wireless Earbuds Basic 2
- "very noticeable amount of lag" - hergipotter

Critically unusable amount of delay

Audio-Technica ATH-CKR7TW
- "major lag makes the game unplayable (900ms)" - MarcelRguez

Jabra Move
- "for me they are ... unplayable" - empo

Sennheiser HD 4.40 BT

Sony WF-1000XM4
- "pretty noticeable audio delay" - Dest
- "unusable" - TheThirstyPrisoner
- "lag is unusable" - Ada

Sony WH-1000XM3
- "downright unusable lag" - DALE

Sony WH-CH700N
- "significant delay and would be unusable in my opinion" - Darknight

Zolo Liberty
- "terribly delayed ... so bad" - RadzPrower

Last edited:

Martin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I compiled all the opinions under their respective bluetooth devices, sectioned them off by subjective level of latency, and alphabetized them

Disclaimer: All of the below are anecdotal and come from the previous comments in this thread

This is awesome! Thank you!!

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
Second test: I just got an Onn Rugged Speaker for using in the shower to listen to podcasts. Surprisingly low latency for a $15 speaker. It's noticeably laggy when you sit and pay attention to it, but if you're not playing a game where audio queues are important (say a competitive shooter or a rhythm game) I think it would be something you could

Much louder than the built-in speakers on the Switch as well, but the quality isn't anything to write home about...but for $15 what do you expect. Certainly passable for me as long as I'm not playing something like Fortnite.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America

Unnoticeable or no delay

Bose QuietComfort 35 II
- "couldn't notice any delay over Bluetooth" - Apopheniac

Google Pixel Buds A-Series

Jabra Elite 75t

Jaybird Tarah Pro
- "works fine without any noticeable audio delay" - NoWayOut

Logitech Z337
- "no (noticeable) lag at all" - Doctor Phishshoe

Mpow Flame
- "work fine, and I don't detect eny apparent lag" - NeonBorealis

Razer Hammerhead True Wireless Earbuds
- "they work great in gaming mode and have no noticeable lag for me" - SkekesisVR

Minor but mostly unbothersome delay

Apple AirPods
- "working fine I think" - Mbolibombo
- "slight delay" - b3llydrum
- "noticeable" - kimbo99
- "maybe a little lag but it's very very small, hard to notice while playing" - Nintenleo

Apple AirPods 2
- "slight delay" - Ashler
- "slight delay" - Hopz2Brew
- "I can bear it ... still noticeable" - Putosaure
- "minor delay that didn't seem too bad" - Kevers

Apple AirPods Pro
- "impressed [at the ~39ms latency according to Cadence of Hyrule's latency calibration]" - Martin
- "while it has some slight noticeable delay, some games would probably be tolerable with this" - Darknight

Apple Beats Powerbeats
- "tiiiiiniest bit of delay" - super etrian odyssey

Apple Beats Powerbeats Pro
- "very slight delay. Maybe 50ms" - Anustart

Edifier W800BT

JBL Charge 4 (speaker)

Google Pixel Buds Gen 2
- "slighty delay that really doesn't annoy me" - xewind

Sennheiser MOMENTUM True Wireless 2
- "Slight lag but not very noticeable to me" - Legacy

Skullcandy Indy Evo True Wireless Earbuds
- "delay is slight. Not that noticeable." - SpScarecrow

SLS-100 Wireless Bluetooth Headphones
- "noticeable" - Reinhardt Schneider

Sony h.ear on 2
- "noticeable but minor" - Perkin_Warbeck

Sony WI-SP500 In-Ear Sports Wireless Headphones
- "minor lag (100ms?), Switch volume and earbuds volume are not linked" - MarcelRguez

Soundcore Life P2

Soundcore Life Q30

Noticeable and bothersome delay

Apple Airpods 2
- "very noticeable. I'll continue to use wired" - Disco Infernal

Bose QuietComfort 35 II
- "Not crazy bad delay, but it was there (inevitably). The sound quality was notably worse than a wired connection" - Pineconn

Samsung Galaxy Buds
- "lag is certainly noticeable" - hergipotter

Google Pixel Buds
- "like a half second delay" - DarkSora

Jabra Elite Active 65t
- "pretty bad" - colui

Mi True Wireless Earbuds
- "latency is very distracting" - Fezan

OnePlus Bullets Wireless Z
- "slightly noticeable delay ... if it were just 10% better, it wouldn't bother me at all" - André

POM Gear Smart Pods
- "like a 1 second delay" - Zombegoast

Sennheiser HD 4.50 BT
- "Too much of a delay for me for regular use" - LuigiV

Sony h.ear on 2
- "there's a noticable delay of about half a second" - HandsomeCharles
- "noticeable lag connected directly to the Switch, of a fraction of a second but enough that I won't be using them" - LouieGeetoo

Soundcore Liberty Air 2
- "half a second delay" - Shibata100

Xiaomi Mi True Wireless Earbuds Basic 2
- "very noticeable amount of lag" - hergipotter

Critically unusable amount of delay

Audio-Technica ATH-CKR7TW
- "major lag makes the game unplayable (900ms)" - MarcelRguez

Jabra Move

Sennheiser HD 4.40 BT

Sony WF-1000XM4
- "pretty noticeable audio delay" - Dest
- "unusable" - TheThirstyPrisoner
- "lag is unusable" - Ada

Sony WH-1000XM3
- "downright unusable lag" - DALE

Sony WH-CH700N
- "significant delay and would be unusable in my opinion" - Darknight

Zolo Liberty
- "terribly delayed ... so bad" - RadzPrower

Thank you! Very useful.

Bit Disappointed AirPod family aren't good.

I still want confirmation of whether there is a minimal delay of 170 ms, because that is unusable for me.

Jan 18, 2021
Audeze penrose x.

Played a bit of diablo and there was a tiny bit but im not sure. Will trh other games later. Sounded fantastic though. Didnt even know there was guitar strumming in the loading screens even when using my plug in headphones

Klappdrachen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Connected my WH-1000XM3s and played for a bit in docked mode with a Pro Controller. The lag was very noticeable but not unbearable in my opinion. What really bothered me though was the audio quality. These headphones usually sound really good over BT but the Switch codec is not the greatest it seems. Disappointing.

shockdude

Oct 26, 2017
Fiio BTR3 receiver. Latency immediately noticeable when navigating the home menu and listening to the clicks, probably between 100-200ms over the switch 3.5mm. Pretty typical for the SBC codec. Will do a proper latency measurement later.

Note the BTR3 is a pretty good receiver imo, I once tested it on PC with the AptX-LL codec and got about 30ms over the motherboard 3.5mm.

LuigiMario

Oct 28, 2017
Hoping these hold up well enough with my Beats Flex I can get rid of the wired headphones I keep in my switch case for travel haha.

Brofield

Oct 25, 2017
Played MH Rise for a couple hours last night using my Bose AE2w. I thought they were quite good, personally. Had to try twice to get it to connect to my Switch but once they were I had no dropped signal nor any crackle (save a smidge when loading my save file at the main menu). Reviews on Rtings says it has some horrendous latency, but truthfully I thought every swordstrike was in time and every monster roar came through crystal clear. Comfortable and high quality audio

iamsirjoshua

Oct 28, 2017
Used my Bose QC 35 II and I couldn't notice any delay over Bluetooth.

The latency is horrible if the Switch is paired to both wireless headphones and a wireless controller, though.

Also the headphones I tried. Didn't notice any perceptible lag in a few rounds of Mario Kart and a bit of time in Monster Hunter Stories 2.

I switched from handheld (joycons) to docked (Pro controller) at one point. Didn't notice any increase in lag with the Pro controller, however it was a bit of a pain to move from the joycons to that as the joycons count as hitting your 2 wireless controller limit so I had to manually disconnect the headset, connect the Pro controller, disconnect the joycons, then reconnect the headset.

It's a bit of an edge case since I imagine I'd normally be using headphones almost exclusively in handheld, but it does highlight the limitations that are at play and possibly why Nintendo hesitated on this for a while.

Noticeable lag in the menu. Very quiet even with the max volume setting off. I haven't tested too much though and when I could hear it the quality sounded good.

I did notice some slight lag in menus that weren't there in games, but it was so subtle it only really occurred to me it was there after reading your comment.

The trick with the volume seemed to be turning the system volume to the max, then turning the volume up on the headphones themselves. That got the volume up to a much more normal/comfortable level.

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Also the headphones I tried. Didn't notice any perceptible lag in a few rounds of Mario Kart and a bit of time in Monster Hunter Stories 2.

I switched from handheld (joycons) to docked (Pro controller) at one point. Didn't notice any increase in lag with the Pro controller, however it was a bit of a pain to move from the joycons to that as the joycons count as hitting your 2 wireless controller limit so I had to manually disconnect the headset, connect the Pro controller, disconnect the joycons, then reconnect the headset.

It's a bit of an edge case since I imagine I'd normally be using headphones almost exclusively in handheld, but it does highlight the limitations that are at play and possibly why Nintendo hesitated on this for a while.
The controller I was using was a third party one. With the official Pro Controller the latency was much less noticeable, though I think sound quality took a hit.

I hope for consistency's sake that people testing this are either using the attached Joy-Cons in handheld or using are using their wired controllers with the setting for that turned on. I suspect that may be the source of some of the discrepancies in these tests.

shockdude

Oct 26, 2017
I checked Rtings and turns out they measure SBC codec latency of every Bluetooth headphone they review.
These are latency measurements on PC, but I don't expect the switch to be much different and it's enough to compare one headphone to another.
www.rtings.com

Bluetooth Connectivity Score and Tests: Headphones

Our Bluetooth tests evaluate the wireless features provided by Bluetooth headphones. We measure the latency of many common codecs and report multi-device pairing as well as quick pairing.
www.rtings.com

Headphones Reviews

Headphones reviews
On each headphone review page, search for "PC Latency (SBC)"

Apple Airpods Pro: 188ms
Sony WH-1000XM4: 212ms

Last edited:

Sirhc

Hasn't made a thread yet. Shame me.
Oct 27, 2017
I also post it here:

Okay, I did the latency test in Cadence of Hyrule and I'm impressed.

I'm using a day 1 launch Switch with AirPods Pros.

Latency handheld mode without headphones:

img_0166h8k0c.jpg

Latency handheld mode with bluetooth headphones:

img_0167nuku7.jpg

So yeah, if a rhythm game has some calibration tool, I can totally play those games with bluetooth headphones. But also I'm impressed by the latency when compared to my gulikit adapter

Oh snap that's a great idea, will have to try that in abit.

Tested out a pair of Mpow H1's (Bluetooth 4.1) earlier with Sayonara Wild Hearts and Superbeat Xonic and there wasn't any real noticable delay on my day 1 switch.

Edit: running about 120ms audio delay over bt, around 60 through handheld speakers. Not bad at all for wireless unless you are super sensitive.

Last edited:

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
Good to see I'm not the only one having issues.
The thing is for both my earbuds (galaxy buds+, AirPods) and Bluetooth headphones (mpow very cheap ones), they work fine, but at a randomly the audio then desyncs, and stays that way at a fixed lag that's just not useful.
Each device works perfectly on iPhone and PC. Currently the best option is to stick with daisy chaining the headphone jack to PC and mirror the audio via Bluetooth, or I'll have to buy some Bluetooth dongle, which I just don't want to do if Switch had Bluetooth that might be fixable somehow.
I'll keep an eye out on patches

shockdude

Oct 26, 2017
Fiio BTR3 receiver. Latency immediately noticeable when navigating the home menu and listening to the clicks, probably between 100-200ms over the switch 3.5mm. Pretty typical for the SBC codec. Will do a proper latency measurement later.

Note the BTR3 is a pretty good receiver imo, I once tested it on PC with the AptX-LL codec and got about 30ms over the motherboard 3.5mm.
I measured the Fiio BTR3 with the Switch - recorded the sound of a button press followed by the home menu click, and measured the time between sounds in Audacity.
The BTR3 on the Switch shows roughly 230ms latency over the native 3.5mm out, which is pretty awful.
I guess the BTR3 isn't up to snuff for SBC latency compared to other Bluetooth headphones, I wish I had something else to compare it with.

TheStebe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
London
I have the Razer True Wireless Earbuds and besides taking a long time to get the initial pair with the switch, they work great in gaming mode and have no noticeable lag for me. I had been using them with the homespot usb-c adpater before this, and it defintely works and sounds better than it was coming out of that adapter. The maximum volume is about 3x what it was before which is amazing.

For some reason my hanmerhead true wireless pro bluetooth headsets dont pair at all and now im sad 🥺

Klappdrachen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Connected my WH-1000XM3s and played for a bit in docked mode with a Pro Controller. The lag was very noticeable but not unbearable in my opinion. What really bothered me though was the audio quality. These headphones usually sound really good over BT but the Switch codec is not the greatest it seems. Disappointing.
Quoting myself, but I tested it again in handheld mode this time. The lag and especially sound quality were significantly better. I then tried it in docked mode again, but used a wired Pro Controller and same thing, much better sound quality and lag. The quality definitely tanks when there is more than one BT device connected it seems. Headphones + two controllers is unusable IMO.

Handicapped Duck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
May 20, 2018
Ponds
Does anyone know how to pair the Sony XM4s to the Switch? I turn my on and keep it nearby but my Switch can't find it. Am I missing something when it comes to pairing?

Truckondo

Oct 25, 2017
Garden Grove, CA
Does anyone know how to pair the Sony XM4s to the Switch? I turn my on and keep it nearby but my Switch can't find it. Am I missing something when it comes to pairing?

You might have to put it in pairing mode. Should be a button hold or something similar. If it's a slider switch like my Bose, it would be a slide and hold for a few seconds to get it in pairing mode.

Scruffy8642

Jan 24, 2020
Interesting people noticing lag on the Sony XM3s. I've spent probably a good 5 hours now using both them and a pro controller at the same time and I've noticed no lag. It's no different to using my dongle, pretty impressed.

Handicapped Duck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
May 20, 2018
Ponds
You might have to put it in pairing mode. Should be a button hold or something similar. If it's a slider switch like my Bose, it would be a slide and hold for a few seconds to get it in pairing mode.
I figured it out, I had to hold the power button down after turning it on for like 8 seconds. Got it working, thanks for the help.
Interesting people noticing lag on the Sony XM3s. I've spent probably a good 5 hours now using both them and a pro controller at the same time and I've noticed no lag. It's no different to using my dongle, pretty impressed.
I just tried Cadence of Hyrule and I was getting anywhere from 80ms of audio latency up to 150ms, I was still able to play fine, but it was noticeable.

mariodk18

Dec 27, 2017
Tested my Sony WH-H900Ns playing SSBU. The lag is more noticeable in the Switch home menu than in game, though still noticeable. However after playing for a bit I got used to it.

Also tested my AirPods Pro and can after that the lag is noticeable, but tolerable. I stopped noticing after playing a while.

I would place both the above devices as "noticeable, but tolerable after a few minutes".

OP
OP
Herb Alpert

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
So I went with jabra elite 75T in the end, as they were at 99€ at my local fnac, and I'm pretty happy with them so far. I think there is a very tiny lag but that's probably the bare minimum we can reach with the switch codec and that's totally tolerable as far as I am concerned.
Did my first commute this morning and this update is a true game changer. I can switch from playing my Switch to listening music from my phone very easily, and the lack of wires is even more useful wearing masks :)