• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017
728x80.png

https://www.battleforthenet.com/
http://www.verizonprotests.com/

Credit to http://www.verizonprotests.com/ for the information in this OP.

tl;dr: The FCC is about to kill net neutrality. We're protesting nationwide on Dec 7th to stop them. Head over to http://www.verizonprotests.com/ for more info.

WHAT'S HAPPENING? The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) just announced its plan to slash net neutrality rules, allowing ISPs like Verizon to block apps, slow websites, and charge fees to control what you see & do online. They vote December 14th. People from across the political spectrum are outraged, so we're planning to protest at Verizon retail stores across the country on December 7, one week before the vote and at the peak of the busy Holiday shopping season. We'll demand that our members of Congress take action to stop Verizon's puppet FCC from killing net neutrality.

WHAT'S NET NEUTRALITY? Net neutrality is the basic principle that has made the Internet into what it is today. It prevents big Internet Service Providers (like Verizon) from charging extra fees, engaging in censorship, or controlling what we see and do on the web by throttling websites, apps, and online services.

WHY VERIZON STORES? The new chairman of the FCC, Ajit Pai, is a former top lawyer for Verizon, and the company has been spending millions on lobbying and lawsuits to kill net neutrality so they can gouge us all for more money. By protesting at Verizon stores, we're shining light on the corruption and demanding that our local do something about it. Only Congress has the power to stop Verizon's puppet FCC, so at the protests we'll be calling and tweeting at legislators, and in cities where it's possible we'll march from Verizon stores to lawmakers offices.

WHAT ARE OUR DEMANDS? Ajit Pai is clearly still working for Verizon, not the public. But he still has to answer to Congress. So we're calling on our lawmakers to do their job overseeing the FCC and speak out against Ajit Pai's plan to gut Title II net neutrality protections and give Verizon and other giant ISPs everything on their holiday wishlist.

HOW CAN I JOIN? Click here and you'll find an interactive map where you can see if there is already a protest planned near you. If not, you can sign up to host one, and we'll send you materials to make it easy and help you recruit others in your area. These protests will be quick, fun, and 100% legal. If you can't attend a protest on December 7th, you can still help defend net neutrality by calling your lawmakers and spreading the word on social media. You can also sign up to host a meeting with your members of Congress, or volunteer for our texting team to help turn people out for these protests.

HOW ELSE CAN I HELP? If you haven't already, there's a bot you can text, that helps you write an email or a fax, free of charge, to your senator, or governor. Text "resist" to "504-09" and it'll ask you some questions, then you're onto writing. Here is an example that we recommend:
Net Neutrality is the cornerstone of innovation, free speech and democracy on the Internet.
Control over the Internet should remain in the hands of the people who use it every day. The ability to share information without impediment is critical to the progression of technology, science, small business, and culture.

Please stand with the public by protecting Net Neutrality once and for all.

Share away! Seriously only takes a few minutes of your time. You can also find this Bot on Facebook Messenger under the name "ResistBot"

WHAT IF I'M NOT IN THE US? While you may think you have nothing to worry about, how the United States governs the internet is of global concern. We would ask that you urge anyone you know in the United States to take action if they haven't done so already. The internet as we know it will cease to exist if Net Neutrality disappears.

Thank you community. With your help, we can win Battle for the Internet.

Last edited:

Kyra

The Eggplant Queen
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Do not takes this likely or think you can do nothing. Net neutrality was preserved by protests. We can do it again.

Deleted member 9971

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This sounds very bad hopefully it can be stopped, the internet should be a free space and not be controlled by companies at all. This is just as bad as heavy monetization in games, heck even worse imo.

That dude trying to get rid of it is a true POS.

I'm from EU but i will see what i can do to support the movement against this change.

Oynox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, I cannot help but really hope that they do not take those actions. To me it is already incredibly absurd that ISPs sell a monthly contingent of data, as in Germany we get a flatrate, but that would be even worse and most likely will have an impact on how the web will develop in the next years.

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
I hope more people take this seriously.
Like you guys take bufferbloat and it's impact on this debate seriously. Pai's aware of it along with Verizon yet most of the media and consumers aren't. They refuse to fix the problem cause it would severely curb their bandwidth and queue racket. If only we put those facts in front of judge who would be willing to listen.

Our AG had to recuse himself in the Russia bullshit this guy is the bullseye for telcos on this issue and he has the one job that decides it all. His own history should have him doing the same.

JaRonin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Boston
Already called, will text and email too! Hoping to protest outside a Verizon store on Dec. 7th. We cant let them destroy a free and open internet.

Deleted member 8001

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I feel like I've gone through this at least 7 times in the past decade. Guess it's another round of fighting this fight.

The Masked Mufti

The Wise Ones
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Good luck Americans. Is there any way for those of use not in America to help? This shit will definitely come to Britain if it goes through in the US

Deleted member 1852

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you want to send Verizon a message they understand, do what I did and switch away from Verizon. I switched to T-Mobile but there's also AT&T and Sprint.

Pooh

Oct 25, 2017
The Hundred Acre Wood
I'm gonna do my part, but damn if it isn't exhausting having to constantly fight our politicians to make them represent their constituents and not their corporate partners

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Good luck to the United States. If I could I would join too, but I don't live there.

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
I'm in Europe but I fear this bullshit will eventually reach our countries if ISPs get their way in the US. So I'm counting on you, guys.

Though I'm afraid even if it works this time, the issue will keep coming back to the table again and again until they finally get what they want.

incogneato

Self Requested Ban
Nov 8, 2017
Hello SweetNicole

You can also send a fax to your Congressman using a textbot on your phone:

So if you haven't already, there's a bot you can text, that helps you write an email or a fax, free of charge, to your senator, or governor. Text "resist" to "504-09" and it'll ask you some questions, then you're onto writing. From another thread a few weeks ago, someone posted this message, and it think it's a great one to send.

"Net Neutrality is the cornerstone of innovation, free speech and democracy on the Internet.

Control over the Internet should remain in the hands of the people who use it every day. The ability to share information without impediment is critical to the progression of technology, science, small business, and culture.

Please stand with the public by protecting Net Neutrality once and for all."

I'd love to credit the user, but have lost the comment, but please, go send some faxes, show your politicians you want net neutrality to stay.

Source
https://resistbot.io/

JackSlate

Oct 30, 2017
Already called, will try to protest outside a Verizon store on Dec 7th. Lets hope we can stop this from happening.

OP
OP
SweetNicole

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017
Hello SweetNicole

You can also send a fax to your Congressman using a textbot on your phone:

So if you haven't already, there's a bot you can text, that helps you write an email or a fax, free of charge, to your senator, or governor. Text "resist" to "504-09" and it'll ask you some questions, then you're onto writing. From another thread a few weeks ago, someone posted this message, and it think it's a great one to send.

"Net Neutrality is the cornerstone of innovation, free speech and democracy on the Internet.

Please stand with the public by protecting Net Neutrality once and for all."

I'd love to credit the user, but have lost the comment, but please, go send some faxes, show your politicians you want net neutrality to stay.

Source
https://resistbot.io/

This is already in the OP :)

Roxoriku

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Though I'm afraid even if it works this time, the issue will keep coming back to the table again and again until they finally get what they want.

This^
I'm gonna keep fighting for net neutrality, but this will just keep happening and more people will start to not care over time. We're probably just proloning the inevitable.

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
This^
I'm gonna keep fighting for net neutrality, but this will just keep happening and more people will start to not care over time. We're probably just proloning the inevitable.

This has always been fight of vigilance since AOL if the public wants get apathy or lethargic that's on them and nothing else. You have to fight for this world or greed and tyranny will take it back when the opportunity presents, anything else is a delusion.

incogneato

Self Requested Ban
Nov 8, 2017
This^
The key is getting this to the Supreme Court.... 2018 is coming up and that's an incredibly important time to ensure that.

Roxoriku

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
This has always been fight of vigilance since AOL if the public wants get apathy or lethargic that's on them and nothing else. You have to fight for this world or greed and tyranny will take it back when the opportunity presents, anything else is a delusion.

Agreed, and that's why I won't stop.

The key is getting this to the Supreme Court.... 2018 is coming up and that's an incredibly important time to ensure that.

I hope that's the case. Let's hope we can put a stop to this specific issue someday.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
I'm in Europe but I fear this bullshit will eventually reach our countries if ISPs get their way in the US. So I'm counting on you, guys.

This^

The key this time is ensuring title II protection through legislation. Make it law, alongside all other utilities, and regulate this industry permanently. The internet is perhaps mankind's greatest creation, and should be treated with all the deference that affords.

Syder

The Moyes are Back in Town
Oct 25, 2017

The EU will protect Net Neutrality.

Link

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Resist-bot is busy right now (which I guess is a good thing). I'll try again later.

incogneato

Self Requested Ban
Nov 8, 2017
Do senators pick up calls from average citizens?
It's typically their secretaries that pick up the calls. They relay any of your messages to the representative. I used to work as an intern for my congressional rep and we essentially take down zipcode, name, sometimes address, and deliver the messages as soon as we can

Geist

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It feels like this is a battle I've been fighting for my entire adult life. I hope one day we won't have to worry about it anymore.

If this goes through it can hopefully be stopped in the courts, but if we can pull together we might be able to do something before that becomes necessary.