• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tanuki-Go

One Winged Slayer
Jul 21, 2018
US
I've been on a kick recently looking up teaser trailers for older movies that are unique in that they don't directly use footage from the movies they're advertising or they had stuff specifically produced for it-- they're actual teasers.

Here's some examples:

The Goonies

Jurassic Park

Gremlins

Back to the Future

Anyone have any similar examples to share because I find this stuff really cool and interesting.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I was really looking forward to seeing this in Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. The white man's dancing overbite is perfect lol
AnchoredThisAtlanticblackgoby-max-1mb.gif

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
Terminator 2

Thanks for the links, I hadn't seen any of those and they're really interesting. The Goonies one is crazy.
Just getting the rights to everything - music etc - must have been difficult.

OP
OP
Tanuki-Go

Tanuki-Go

One Winged Slayer
Jul 21, 2018
US
Here's a few more I just remembered:

Ghostbusters

Men in Black

EDIT:

The Goonies one is crazy.

That's what I was thinking! That's like four different studios that they had to get permission from to do it.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Godzilla Comic con trailer that happened to leak

Most of those shots were cut or readjusted for the final movie, most notable the corpse of a weird, insect/armadillo like Kaiju that's nowhere to be found in the final movie

Deadpool 2 Teaser

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tanuki-Go

Tanuki-Go

One Winged Slayer
Jul 21, 2018
US

Danby

One Winged Slayer
Oct 7, 2020
That's what I was thinking! That's like four different studios that they had to get permission from to do it.

I think stuff back then was built on a lot of people knowing people to give the okay for stuff. Like how Muppet Babies threw in a bunch of clips from Star Wars just because he was chummy with Lucas. Now probably there would be a lot more legal ties preventing it, or at least more expensive to make sure all parties were adequately reimbursed.

louiedog

Oct 25, 2017

South Park Bigger Longer and Uncut teaser is still burned into my brain from when I was a kid.

anaa

Unshakable Resolve
Jun 30, 2019
couple of Pixar ones

tons of the early Pixar movies had teasers in this format

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I was always partial to this teaser for Empire Strikes Back. Not just no footage from the movie — just concept art, music and a voiceover!

Neato!

OP
OP
Tanuki-Go

Tanuki-Go

One Winged Slayer
Jul 21, 2018
US
I think stuff back then was built on a lot of people knowing people to give the okay for stuff. Like how Muppet Babies threw in a bunch of clips from Star Wars just because he was chummy with Lucas. Now probably there would be a lot more legal ties preventing it, or at least more expensive to make sure all parties were adequately reimbursed.

Now that you mention it, Spielberg did produce/direct most of the movies featured in the trailer so maybe that helped out a bit I suppose.

Here's a few more:

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

John Carpenter's The Thing

EDIT:

OH MAN how could I forget this one? One of the best teaser trailers ever made!

OP
OP
Tanuki-Go

Tanuki-Go

One Winged Slayer
Jul 21, 2018
US
Here's a really fun one that is pretty much a behind the scenes look at Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade:

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Some horror movies like Piranha 3D include shots to misdirect kills for the final movie.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
Some horror movies like Piranha 3D include shots to misdirect kills for the final movie.

Lot of cases for horror films, the teasers are put out way early into filming where they have no usable footage yet. Lot of horror films back in the day had super fast turn arounds going into production and to screen in less than a year, filming up to the last minute often. Older horror films especially often used lots of footage that never was in the movie

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Lot of cases for horror films, the teasers are put out way early into filming where they have no usable footage yet. Lot of horror films back in the day had super fast turn arounds going into production and to screen in less than a year, filming up to the last minute often. Older horror films especially often used lots of footage that never was in the movie
Oh yeah, that's a great point.

OP
OP
Tanuki-Go

Tanuki-Go

One Winged Slayer
Jul 21, 2018
US
Here's a couple more Schwarzenegger teasers:

Total Recall

Last Action Hero

EN1GMA

Avenger
Nov 7, 2017
Thanks for the links, I hadn't seen any of those and they're really interesting. The Goonies one is crazy.

Spielberg and Donner directed all the films used other than Gremlins which had ties to Spielberg through Amblin Entertainment. I'm guessing that it wasn't that difficult.

OP
OP
Tanuki-Go

Tanuki-Go

One Winged Slayer
Jul 21, 2018
US
Okay this is totally Demolition Man's music in the end right?? This teaser seems familiar, doesn't it exist with Danny Elfman's music?

Yup, that is the Demolition Man music! They used it pretty extensively for the marketing for the first and second MIB films. (To the point where I associate that specific piece of music more with Men in Black than Demolition Man. lol)

The Lost World: Jurassic Park

Psycho (It's over six minutes long! Goddamn!)

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
A few seconds of the original footage are actually in the movie I think, but I suppose the Interstellar teaser still counts.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I remember being super disappointed the "u g l y you ain't got no alibi" from the Bicentennial Man trailer wasn't in the actual movie.

And instead it was a super depressing movie that made me ponder my own mortality.

Sho Nuff

Jan 6, 2019
Kyoto, JP
Terminator 2

THIS THIS THIS THIS! I remembered the hell out of this scene, and watched the first 3 terminator flicks recently and wondered how the hell I had missed this scene, but it turns out I had seen this only in the theatre when my dad took me to see Total Recall.

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dragonball Evolution (back when it was just known as Dragonball)

The eclipse effect is probably the same one used in the movie but that's it.

Zodzilla

Oct 25, 2017
youtu.be

Comedian Movie Trailer

A hilarious movie trailer for the Jerry Seinfeld film COMEDIAN. It sends up movies trailers and promos in general, and stars the Dean of the East Coast Trai...

A robot renegade cop!

RealCanadianBro

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Terminator 2

Came to post this. I wish Dark Fate did something creative like this...I mean movies in general should