• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

patapon

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Thanks to N.47H.4N for sharing

http://time.com/5455710/best-video-
games-2018/

Whittling down the list of the year's best games is an annual challenge, one that seems only to get harder every time. That's a good thing, of course, reflecting the outstanding quality coming from major studios and indie designers alike. For TIME's list of the best video games of 2018, we focused on the games we couldn't put down this year, the games that surprised us in some delightful way, and the games that were just simply gave us the most joy to play.

1. God of War
  2. Spider-Man
  3. Into The Breach
  4. Subnautica
  5. RDR II
  6. Florence
  7. Super Mario Party
  8. Assassin's Creed:Odyssey
  9. Dandara
  10. Donut County

Kass

Oct 27, 2017
Good, varied, list tbh, probably better than what most gaming outlets would give.

byDoS

Oct 25, 2017
Into the Breach is that good? Was thinking in buying the game on Switch?

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
No Monster Hunter World or Celeste?

giphy.gif

Courage

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I gotta try out Subnautica. Is it considered the best out of the first person survival games out there?

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Glad for GOW, but it seems like RDR2 was so low on the list because of the crunch stuff. Fair enough.

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
Don't think Dandara deserves to be on there personally, not when we've had gems such as Wandersong, Guacamelee 2, The Messenger, Minit.

Hail Satan

Oct 27, 2017
Damn, didn't realize Super Mario Party was meant to be that good. Gonna have to check that out.

Glad to see GoW is where it belongs.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Into the Breach is that good? Was thinking in buying the game on Switch?
Yeah, it's great. Best strategy game this year, it's a masterclass in game design. Every map is as much a puzzle as a battle, as you try to get the absolute most out of your limited moves by repositioning enemies to block reinforcements or take environmental damage. Even if things are going badly, it incentivises you to fight on and gather the xp before 'abandoning the timeline' and rescuing your pilots to fight another day. Each team of mechs fights in a distinctive style too, for something that looks similar to other isometric TBS grid-based combat, it offers something really unique and replayable.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I would also put Battletech above #5, among a few others, including Celeste.

Still on the fence about Detroit being better, have not finished yet (not finished RDR2 either to be fair).

Seriously. It's not even December yet and Time, of all publications, put out a Best of 2018 list? They should've released their list next month.

KH3 having moved to 2019, what's left in notable titles in 2018?

Smash and JC4?

Subnautica was this year?! I figured the reason I wasn't seeing it in GOTY conversations was because it was a 2017 release. It is a phenomenal game.
It's been in Early Access for a loooong time, but the game is great.

Last edited:

Almeister

Oct 25, 2017
Subnautica was this year?! I figured the reason I wasn't seeing it in GOTY conversations was because it was a 2017 release. It is a phenomenal game.

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
Some games I've never heard of on that list.

Also looking at top 10 lists, guess Sony had a pretty great year.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it's great. Best strategy game this year, it's a masterclass in game design. Every map is as much a puzzle as a battle, as you try to get the absolute most out of your limited moves by repositioning enemies to block reinforcements or take environmental damage. Even if things are going badly, it incentivises you to fight on and gather the xp before 'abandoning the timeline' and rescuing your pilots to fight another day. Each team of mechs fights in a distinctive style too, for something that looks similar to other isometric TBS grid-based combat, it offers something really unique and replayable.

Damn this sounds awesome

Deleted member 41271

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 21, 2018
Varied list. Don't care for a single title in it (except maybe AC:O some day), but I see why someone with their taste would pick these games.

byDoS

Oct 25, 2017

Thanks for your post. I'm buying the game

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Seriously. It's not even December yet and Time, of all publications, put out a Best of 2018 list? They should've released their list next month.

I believe Time always releases their Top Ten Lists the week of Thanksgiving. It's a high selling issue for people traveling.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
No Forza Horizon 4 is weird. I mean its the third highest rated game this year and its missing. Even with the Game Awards.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
Good list. Would swap around GoW and SM, but this is fine too. To see Super Mario Party on it is really interesting though, got to get it still.

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
God of War is indeed #1

In my top 5 of all time. What a special game. Spiderman being #2 I disagree with. Def. top 10, but not 2.