• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

malik180

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Its tough to call personally. But in terms of gameplay, I have no doubt God of War was more fun to play. The valkyries man. Fighting with queen valkyrie on hard, no mission in RDR2 comes close to that thrill wise

May 5, 2018
Celeste not being number one...ya blew it polygon
Keep in mind one of Polygon's writers gave it an 8 out of 10 earlier this year. Its actually quite surprising to see it in the top 5 and ranked above RDR2 which is nice! Though sadly I don't think any publication is gonna give Celeste any outright GOTY awards since most of them are going to GOW and RDR2. Shame because it deserves some GOTY awards.
https://nerdist.com/best-video-game...ion-2-god-of-war-spider-man-super-smash-bros/

1. God of War
  2. RDR II
  3. Celeste
  4. Into The Breach
  5. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
  6. Spider-Man
  7. Dead Cells
  8. Monster Hunter World
  9. Return of the Obra Dinn
  10. Assassin's Creed Odyssey
This is a heck of a list actually. Good blend of AAA and indies in here and has some decent genre diversity.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Still kinda blows my mind that people actually gotyvote GoW over RDR2

I finished both and RDR2 is such a vastly complex, interesting, varied, more interesting experience. GoW is great game no doubt, but it doesn't really compare.

1 is a playable game and the other insults the player at every opportunity whether it's forcing them to watch drawn out animations for everything or not letting them do anything that isn't scripted or how R* wants things to be done. Honestly it should be thankful it's winning any gotys. Any other industry wouldn't reward something like this.

Oct 25, 2017
Still kinda blows my mind that people actually gotyvote GoW over RDR2

I finished both and RDR2 is such a vastly complex, interesting, varied, more interesting experience. GoW is great game no doubt, but it doesn't really compare.
It comes down to gameplay, surely.

It blows my mind that the fact that people choose a certain game as Goty blows the mind
of some people that don't agree with that choice.
lol

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
Polygon's #4 -- Tetris Effect
https://www.polygon.com/best-games-...etris-effect-best-games-of-the-year-goty-2018

#5 -- Celeste
#6 -- Red Dead Redemption 2
#7 -- Into the Breach
#8 -- Monster Hunter World
#9 -- Spider-Man
#10 -- Assassin's Creed Odyssey
I just can't deal with Polygon's GOTY countdown lists after 2015. The Witcher 3 wasn't number 10. Or 9. Or 8. List gets all the way down to number 2 and even that isn't The Witcher 3. Clearly their number one pick is going to be The Witcher 3, and rightly so! The next day they announce Her Story as 2015's Polygon GOTY. I can only imagine the laughs they shared and pats on the back in the office over their EPIC troll shenanigans. So funny, guys =D

Never visiting their GOTY pages again =P

Paul

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
1 is a playable game and the other insults the player at every opportunity whether it's forcing them to watch drawn out animations for everything or not letting them do anything that isn't scripted or how R* wants things to be done. Honestly it should be thankful it's winning any gotys. Any other industry wouldn't reward something like this.

Strange, I spent 150 hours in RDR and didn't feel insulted even once

In fact I loved the animations for everything, it is something I have wanted to see in games for a long time, removing lot of the abstraction and immersion breakers. That condescention was cute though.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Strange, I spent 150 hours in RDR and didn't feel insulted even once

In fact I loved the animations for everything, it is something I have wanted to see in games for a long time, removing lot of the abstraction and immersion breakers. That condescention was cute though.

I'd imagine you're missing the irony here.

Paul

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Have you reread your own post that everyone is responding too?
Do you mean my first post in the thread? There is no condescension in it, just honest surprise, since having played both I found the difference between them quite staggering in terms of my enjoyment and impact they left. I suppose it is being misunderstood.

Borowski

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Jun 24, 2018
There's a big difference between GoW and RDR 2 alright

GoW is better, plain and simple.

The controls are tight, reponsive, and the game is a blast to play. It doesn't force you to watch a 5s animation just to skin a deer

Oct 27, 2017
There's a big difference between GoW and RDR 2 alright

GoW is better, plain and simple.

The controls are tight, reponsive, and the game is a blast to play. It doesn't force you to watch a 5s animation just to skin a deer
It does to chop down a tree though. Both games have long-form animations for actions, opening a chest in GOW isn't instantaneous, so animation length as a disadvantage applies to both games.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
It does to chop down a tree though. Both games have long-form animations for actions, opening a chest in GOW isn't instantaneous, so animation length as a disadvantage applies to both games.

Cmon, opening a wardrove in RDR 2 takes a considerable longer amount of time, opening anything is longer. To begin with, you don't have to grab loot out of a chest in GOW, Kratos just takes what's inside in the same action.

Borowski

Banned
Jun 24, 2018

Fair, but GoW is not a 60h+ game or an open-world game like RDR 2

The skinning part was just an example across many that exist in the latest R* title.

Even the simple act of looting a body in painfully slow.

GoW may have its faults, like the lack of some more memorable bosses, but this is not one of them

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I just can't deal with Polygon's GOTY countdown lists after 2015. The Witcher 3 wasn't number 10. Or 9. Or 8. List gets all the way down to number 2 and even that isn't The Witcher 3. Clearly their number one pick is going to be The Witcher 3, and rightly so! The next day they announce Her Story as 2015's Polygon GOTY. I can only imagine the laughs they shared and pats on the back in the office over their EPIC troll shenanigans. So funny, guys =D

Never visiting their GOTY pages again =P
man i wish I could have been a fly on the wall in the Polygon conference room when they came up with the plan to make Her Story GOTY just to troll real gamers! lolololol #riseup

Renfran

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 28, 2018
God of War is going to most likely take this but RDR2 will be right behind. Great year for games.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
man i wish I could have been a fly on the wall in the Polygon conference room when they came up with the plan to make Her Story GOTY just to troll real gamers! lolololol #riseup
Don't get me wrong, Her Story is a great game and I've got nothing against it being their number one game. But with TW3 not anywhere in the top 10 games for that year, and a countdown system rather than "here's a full list"... yeah, they were trolling, and it's a shame they do that with their articles sometimes.

Borowski

Banned
Jun 24, 2018
Twinfinite gave it to RDR 2

Expected. They gave GoW 8/10, and probably with butthurt for not being a jury at The Game Awards

Deleted member 35598

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain
This is much closer than the Metacritic score could have led us to believe. This confirms to me RDR 2 was overrated. After the insane hype, many publications reckon it may not be the best game of the year.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
God damn it's close. Edge GOTY has to be RDR2.

So is GTA IV the best game of last gen with its 98 MC?
Yes, one of the best, that's obvious with its continued sales and rating, no other game has been able to keep up with it, thank you for proving my point.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
I don't know any of those websites that just got added

TyC Sports? Franceinfo? Smh

Considering there's hundreds of websites that will be added by the end, with a large portion of them from non english speaking countries, what are you even trying to say here?

You're obsessed with GOW winning, and that's fine, but trying to discredit sites that aren't giving it to GOW is just childish.

Borowski

Banned
Jun 24, 2018
Considering there's hundreds of websites that will be added by the end, with a large portion of them from non english speaking countries, what are you even trying to say here?

You're obsessed with GOW winning, and that's fine, but trying to discredit sites that aren't giving it to GOW is just childish.

I'm ok with websites like Digital Trends or YT channels like WM giving it to RDR 2

They're well known media outlets

But these "strange" websites shouldn't count, tbh

Oct 27, 2017
I'm ok with websites like Digital Trends or YT channels like WM giving it to RDR 2

They're well known media outlets

But these "strange" websites shouldn't count, tbh

When The Witcher 3 or The Last of Us won GOTY every website counted. It's not about the importance of the single website, but the unanimous acclaim that such games receive.

Anyway by comparison TLOU received 249 awards, The Witcher 3 257 awards. TW3 is still the one with the most awards received as far as i know.

Borowski

Banned
Jun 24, 2018
When The Witcher 3 or The Last of Us won GOTY every website counted. It's not about the importance of the single website, but the unanimous acclaim that such games receive.

Anyway by comparison TLOU received 249 awards, The Witcher 3 257 awards. TW3 is still the one with the most awards received as far as i know.

Funny thing that TW3 is the game with most awards, while it is the lowest rated compared to RDR 2, BotW, GoW, TLOU, Skyrim, Uncharted 4, etc

Shows that there's a lot of factors involved

Oct 27, 2017
Funny thing that TW3 is the game with most awards, while it is the lowest rated compared to RDR 2, BotW, GoW, TLOU, Skyrim, Uncharted 4, etc

Well, it's still 92% rated but it hadn't important developers or names behind it, CDProjekt was a bit more than an AA developer until then and The Witcher 2 was mostly limited to PC. so The Witcher series didn't have a mindshare on consoles.

Big console games names always have their MC score a bit inflated. Not saying they are not legitimate great games, mind you.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017

Idk, seems to me when it's reviews it's one person giving a score and when it's goty season it's majority of people from specific websites Is having conversations about best games of the year. There's all there is to it

May 5, 2018
So Gamespot has unveiled their top 10 games of the year and the following are their 10 nominees:
  • Dead Cells
  • God of War
  • Hitman 2
  • Into the Breach
  • Marvel's Spider-Man
  • Monster Hunter World
  • Red Dead Redemption 2
  • Return of the Obra Dinn
  • Super Smash Bros Ultimate
  • Tetris Effect
Bummer Celeste wasn't nominated, but a good list of nominees nontheless. Rooting for Into the Breach of all of these games listed here so ItB can finally win a GOTY award right? RIGHT?

The winner is gonna be either GoW or RDR2. I know