• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Was this thread interesting and/or helpful to you?

• Yes, this thread was interesting and/or helpful. Thank you!

Votes: 425 92.2%
  • No, this thread was neither interesting nor helpful. Shut up!

Votes: 36 7.8%

• Total voters

KezayJS1

Apr 25, 2021
I have some excellent Base Set/Jungle cards in nice condition. I'll put up a gallery soon for y'all. My question is, since they are grade-able and I'm interested in selling, what to do with them right now? My understanding is that sending to PSA is impossible right now. Am I better off sending to CGC or another place, or am I better off selling them ungraded, or am I better off waiting for PSA issues to resolve?

From experience, I went through CGC because PSA seemed to be way too backed up for me to get the cards back in the time frame I was hoping for. Even then, the five cards I had graded I submitted at the quickest turnaround time tier (which I think was like $75 per card on top of the membership they force you to get when registering) were sent in around March 10th or so and I got them back around April 4th or 5th. I'm currently sticking with CGC because I'm willing to pay the price for the quickest turn around possible and so far don't seem to be throttling support or raising prices again, but because of the pricing I'm only sending in a few cards each time and even then only ones that I'm reasonably sure will grade well and reasonably enough in demand that the cost of getting them graded is worth it.

EDIT: Out of curiosity, just checked the CGC site again and it looks like they indeed increased their submission fees again within the past week or so. The submission tier I used for my five graded cards was the Walkthrough option at a cost of $75 per card. The same service is now $125 per card. In addition, the turnaround times themselves are now more critically affected by when your cards are actually looked at, not when they arrive at their facility. My first batch of cards didn't even get looked at to be graded until almost 2.5 weeks after reaching their Center at which point the listed turnaround time kicked in and I received them back within that established time frame.

Because of this, I'll have to bump down to Express tier and deal with a 3X longer turnaround time to grade further cards for the time being as I'm in no way paying $125 per card. I had around 10 cards I wanted to send in which would have been $750 previously, it would be $1250 now at the same tier.

Good morning everyone! Going to try to catch up on everything here.

I'm so happy to hear of your success! That's awesome! Congratulations on turning your closet boxes in to some serious cash.

So these Common + Uncommon complete sets are actually very popular. Set collectors buy these to get their collections going. Since buying the whole set outright is too expensive, people will buy the commons, uncommons, and other non-holo cards to start and then fill in the blanks over time. This is a good way to sell these cards and I recommend it, not only because it's convenient for you but because there's a market for it and it should be easy to sell.

Since there's a market for these, there's lots of price points that are easy to search. For example, searching "Jungle Complete Common" brings up a bunch of common+uncommon lots for $40 (Link 1 Link 2). Just make sure you toggle to sold listings in the sidebar. Base (which is more cards) seems to go for $100-$150. (Link 1 Link 2) These should be easy to sell.

The Black Star promos are sort of a different beast because while they definitely comprise a "set" of 53 they are more frequently purchased individually. A lot of people have promo cards, but not a lot of people have all the promo cards, and they have wildly different price points depending on which card it is. This means most people are filling in the blanks and collecting them piecemeal to finish their own collections or space out their budget. This would probably be better to split up.

Keep me posted and let me know how you do. :)

Thanks a ton for the feedback here! I had no idea what the market or promos was looking like so I instantly thought of selling what I had as an incomplete set, but I might just sell em off piecemeal in this case. I tried averaging each card's sold price over the past several weeks in an excel doc and when I summed up what I had it came to around 1080 which might not be realistic to sell for especially if it's not a complete set.

Last edited:

Rolento

Oct 25, 2017
Well put one of the Ghost Pikachu's up for sale on ebay. I'll report back with results as soon as I have em.

KezayJS1

Apr 25, 2021
Another question for Finale Fireworker or anyone else with some great insight to share.

So I'm currently putting together my complete set of commons/uncommons for Neo Destiny and they're all first edition. I planned on selling that set complete with every trainer card (I don't have all non holo/holo rares) for around $120 or so. However, while seeing what similar sets have sold for I noticed that individual first edition commons/uncommons were selling for pretty decent prices.

For instance, I saw a single first edition Light Jolteon sell for $150, a collection of L. Jolteon, L. Flareon and L. Vaporeon sold for nearly $120. In both cases that's just one or three cards selling for as much or more than what I planned to sell my entire set! So in this case would it be best to sell each common/uncommon individually to maximize per card value, or should I compile average sold price for each card and lump sum that for what my set should be?

OP
OP
Finale Fireworker

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Good morning folks, checking in!

I have some excellent Base Set/Jungle cards in nice condition. I'll put up a gallery soon for y'all. My question is, since they are grade-able and I'm interested in selling, what to do with them right now? My understanding is that sending to PSA is impossible right now. Am I better off sending to CGC or another place, or am I better off selling them ungraded, or am I better off waiting for PSA issues to resolve?

Kezay already gave you a great answer to this (from experience, no less) so I don't have much more to add. But I always say not to pursue grading unless 1) you're sure the condition is there and 2) it's already a high value card. But with how long it takes and how expensive it is, you'd have to be talking some really heavy hitters for it to be worth it right now.

After hearing a friend have a good success story of getting a Base Set Blastoise graded, I went hunting for my collection, thought I'd throw it up here for people to take a look at but any advice on what might be worth pulling and selling individually would be appreciated:

After doing some research I know the Dark Blastoise, Dark Raichu, Ancient Mew and Dragonite are probably the highest value cards in the set, but while I was digging through my boxes of dupes, I came across the Bulbasaur and Charmander shadowless, so thrown them in there too (Looking back, hadn't even realised my filed Bulbasaur was a shadowless as well), but not sure if anythings worth Grading (conditions not bad at all but on a closer look I think theres a few microscratches on the holo and the backs have a bit of white on them).

You've already identified your most valuable cards, so great job on that. Those few that you pulled out will be worth selling first and will make the most per card, which is easy pickings. From there you can list your other holos individually for $10-$20 and then the rest in mixed lots. You've got a good spread of sets there but probably not enough to make it worth breaking up in to lots based on set. But you did mention dupes in boxes, so maybe you do after all.

You can either do one big mixed lot of all the non-holos or do it by set. But focus on selling your big cards first!

Well put one of the Ghost Pikachu's up for sale on ebay. I'll report back with results as soon as I have em.
Good luck! Be sure to report back on how you did.

Another question for Finale Fireworker or anyone else with some great insight to share.

So I'm currently putting together my complete set of commons/uncommons for Neo Destiny and they're all first edition. I planned on selling that set complete with every trainer card (I don't have all non holo/holo rares) for around $120 or so. However, while seeing what similar sets have sold for I noticed that individual first edition commons/uncommons were selling for pretty decent prices.

For instance, I saw a single first edition Light Jolteon sell for $150, a collection of L. Jolteon, L. Flareon and L. Vaporeon sold for nearly $120. In both cases that's just one or three cards selling for as much or more than what I planned to sell my entire set! So in this case would it be best to sell each common/uncommon individually to maximize per card value, or should I compile average sold price for each card and lump sum that for what my set should be?
So 1st Editions are sort of an interesting opportunity because people like to buy their favorites in this print, which as you can imagine extends to popular Pokémon like the Eevee family. BUT, these prices are highly, highly volatile. A lot depends on condition since many collectors want a gradable card for personal keeping. But let's look at some Light Flareon for example. Here are the most recent sales, working backwards.

$84.95 - Wow!
$39.81 - High, but less than half that price.
$25 - Even lower still.
Then three in a row in the $40-$50 range. (Link 1 Link 2 Link 3)
Followed by... $12 and $20.

So this makes it tough. In April alone this card has like a $70 swing. Those sale prices are very unpredictable and it's hard to determine what one you listed right now would sell for. That doesn't mean you shouldn't try for top dollar, but it also means to be pragmatic about it. It might sell for a lot or it might not.

These non-rare 1st Editions are unpredictable and some are definitely worth pulling out and looking up. Check popular Pokémon, especially from the four Neo Sets if you got 1st Editions from those. Those are really hot at the moment and there might be some surprises. You can always list high and take what you can get.

But once you've weeded out the potential bigger tickets, the value of non-rares are usually pretty flat across the board. So once you get a sense for what each card sells for (maybe they're usually $5-$7, or maybe they're usually $10-$12) you should add them up, take off 25%, then list them and accept offers. You won't get maximum value out of a bulk lot, but you'll do it much more conveniently that makes it worth doing it this way. Even if you had a mature enough eBay account to allow it, it would take a ton of time and energy to list hundreds of lower value cards, you know what I mean?

perfectchaos007

It's Happening
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Time must be a flat circle because when I saw a local story about people waiting in line at Target and Walmart for hours before doors opened in hopes of snagging a few booster packs of Pokemon TCG, I thought it was an old article from 22 years ago.

Turns out, the story was hot off the press, and TCG supply can't keep up with demand nationwide. And no, these pokemon crazed people weren't trying to score vintage packs of Wizards of the Coast, they were seeking whatever modern day current generation boosters/sets they had. Kids and scalpers alike caught into the craze just as they were at the turn of the century.

Reading about this I couldn't help but mentally transport myself back to fond memories of waiting in line at Walden Books 20+ years ago hoping to buy a couple of brand new Fossil boosters. I wholeheartedly wish that the kids waiting in line at Target today share that same excitement and thrill when they score a Sword/Shield booster. I'm kinda jealous of them tbh

KezayJS1

Apr 25, 2021
Time must be a flat circle because when I saw a local story about people waiting in line at Target and Walmart for hours before doors opened in hopes of snagging a few booster packs of Pokemon TCG, I thought it was an old article from 22 years ago.

Turns out, the story was hot off the press, and TCG supply can't keep up with demand nationwide. And no, these pokemon crazed people weren't trying to score vintage packs of Wizards of the Coast, they were seeking whatever modern day current generation boosters/sets they had. Kids and scalpers alike caught into the craze just as they were at the turn of the century.

Reading about this I couldn't help but mentally transport myself back to fond memories of waiting in line at Walden Books 20+ years ago hoping to buy a couple of brand new Fossil boosters. I wholeheartedly wish that the kids waiting in line at Target today share that same excitement and thrill when they score a Sword/Shield booster. I'm kinda jealous of them tbh

Honestly, what's going on now seems a lot crazier from what I remember. The only place in my area where I've seen Pokemon boosters of any type is a little junky, out of the way Walgreens a few miles down the road. Everywhere else either isn't selling them in store anymore now (Target) or just never have any in stock and sell out immediately when they do (everywhere else).

But now that you mention it, seeing the resurgence of the TCG makes me think back to when I first got in. It was between the transition from Jungle to Fossil for me and I used to spend a lot of my allowance on Fossil boosters since it was the new kid in town. Then Base Set 2 came along when I heard Team Rocket was coming, I saved up my allowance to buy a booster box. I was the first one in my circle to discover Dark Raichu as a result and I managed to get 2 of them. Knowing people are out there doing the same thing and luckily pulling secret rares or highly sought cards from newer sets is cool to think about.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
Alright, I decided to take the time and effort to get some missing cards aka getting on Yahoo Auctions and I completed my hybrid English/Japanese Base Set.

I'm missing 15 Jungle cards, all rares so I'm afraid to look.

Rolento

Oct 25, 2017
I don't mean to double post but just sold my Ghost Pikachu for a good price.

Onto the next one (of 3 more)

yogurt

Oct 25, 2017
Initially I was planning to sell my cards individually on eBay but I've been so busy with work that I'm considering dumping them off at a local comic/tcg shop. I'm investigating a few and asking what their pricing policies are.

I don't really care if I make $400 instead of $600 or whatever since that's still $400 more than I planned to make off of my Pokemon Cards in the first place!

KezayJS1

Apr 25, 2021
Alright, I decided to take the time and effort to get some missing cards aka getting on Yahoo Auctions and I completed my hybrid English/Japanese Base Set.

I'm missing 15 Jungle cards, all rares so I'm afraid to look.

Why are you afraid to look, if you don't mind my asking?

I don't mean to double post but just sold my Ghost Pikachu for a good price.

Onto the next one (of 3 more)

Glad you were able to sell it off! BTW, I had a shady offer for a complete 1st Ed. Neo Destiny Common/Uncommon set. Someone bought it outright but hadn't paid in 3 days despite ebay sending a notification and myself as well. Late that week I got an update that the user's account was compromised and linked to multiple asking price - in full purchases that then had to be reversed. Ebay at least reversed any associated selling fees charged to my account and I was able to relist it after a few days. Still a bummer.

As for me, a bit bummed that all the grading companies are super backed up as I have at least 13 more cards I feel would rank high with grading but turnaround time for sending in and receiving is several months out even at the highest payment tier. There are others I plan to sell grade-free in the meantime but I imagine I"ll be sitting on these others I want to grade for a good while before things start to normalize.

KezayJS1

Apr 25, 2021
They're likely expensive and I might cave. Recently I've also been interested in new cards which is another dangerous path.

I gotcha. Finale Fireworker is much better at this pricing thing but at least from my experience it looks like list prices on a lot of the original sets are starting to come down. Even for cards I'm selling. I have a Grade 9 Charizard that I initially listed for around 2800 because at the time it wasn't uncommon to see listings in that range and even higher seeing consistent sales. Now? That same card and grade runs as high as 1500 and as low as 700 from what I saw a few weeks ago. You might be in luck with the Jungle expansion on that note.

I do have a question for anyone though; if a card has small scratches or flecks where the underlying holofoil is exposed would you consider that damaged? Usually, when I see damaged cards they're card that were creased, corner of the card is peeling/separating, major scratches like a razor glanced it... things like that. I have a complete Base Set but a few cards of mine (Venusaur, Nidoking, Gyarados) all have slight holofoil exposing scratches. Just want an idea on how to list the conditions of cards accurately in this instance.

riq

Feb 21, 2019
First of all, sorry for the terrible pics.
Years ago I came across an online store in my country that had multiple Skyridge booster boxes for around $100 each. I was told that it was an insane price when accounting for the sets rarity. As someone who really digs the e-card era of the TCG, I ordered two of those. With current prices as they are, I wish I kept at least one sealed...
So here's what was inside those boxes.
All but Golem and one of the Ho-Ohs are reverse foils.
ACtC-3ei5sTfAFxiY42cZ_Tfsi7z81zLZBkZINjaD17jAeb5by7LIXjJWcTugaiVqHvGjvFD2A74ppV7ROHfaXM81c6gNhaWa2kpD9rkhzP2QEu4ruSy-gA0tKSZaqrFi6ffCs1gJclpKt1IFUKvlOmul0NAHA=w493-h657-no
Unfortunately my city is absolutely, constantly damp, and as an amateur collector I wasn't able to keep them straight. All my holos are slightly bent. I keep them in sleeves, with two back to back in each to reduce the effect but it is still noticeable.
ACtC-3clUTvk96b010EDEGvGS6rFmaMNPCiMQxLda-1a5sYlDANJnzT742GgaCShsx7YgYNt0aQn9pkKNtLi2kKvrZvecstRlyiBDUNLWhCDmxIpA6yUmRgwQaML5_ZAC0BNmKpsztO0t6X3XdwONQv6ZCAzOA=w493-h657-no
Regular Crystal Ho-Oh has never left its case, so I hope it is in perfect shape, but I can't tell. Shh, keep it a secret, but there's a second reverse holo Ho-Oh sharing its sleeve.
ACtC-3ekQuWMA32LVwSPJYdGpOV58lTjc5xMhB6lzVJ-lCfd2DJpRosnfbWDK_xDIvowakhhtFjeQNIrPNbsfOLjAfI3vbQOmhkSX-2uhF8GXaa5a8w8CGef74bZuOEiEFSVknfAn7XR-bmchVlM7FVO4Y_OeA=w493-h657-no
Rare holos (see if you can spot the intruder):
ACtC-3db-MF9R-S6VQB66rVR5DEmT8qrYxJ2yB2eh97wD-WxQqaUiLivBMKdjJtrbRjKqbCUivJLb7TyIkhKsYkFIkkMFQBjqsegCLf8GV1ZEnla0nt17gy6SWlwi5QsqYMyRk5gDAjm_b0JcYEymaTYCCeitw=w876-h657-no

ACtC-3e5qf5hb-DmLeN0bzlAHdJm946aK8SpL8savO7iftUBndigvfdiv2sGnVjDtvRBVtIfOcwGCRCiBWMD4nrwgv181f0vE-6fI9QJgO6CMyTIawAcd5mziHwqTMzV54ufGyNSq2DJTw8D7u8XGbtVNp5ZxQ=w876-h657-no
Reverse Holo Rares:
ACtC-3f0_dhAgaxYWRYEhSVVkbzrZ_TcpGCq72bTDYUKViLumOvXLb39M_heHVkDNVeoOU3NnzjddJ4BlXqfNvXc6YcUSzM7bRvrger77fY1I3O2IpavT3ZP99HmvxMewu9fNZU30lvi07BFbVTc_8KYaQZFHw=w876-h657-no
A complete set of regular Rares:
ACtC-3eAD4kUxjah5zxc1jYTjo3fkUMC3jT4rcKL8WWqNcByipjs0rXxAFm2LF2qkFRM5NgTXNFVghMoSP4raqoWIZzetKcaIZeT-3cXbhyB4GHaRHdS6CK-81lEDsaZOY0aGJ0jDaTSlXQqalUgHtUk2hsBTA=w876-h657-no

ACtC-3ctiAdjP5_GrnZ5G25ashbT7GE9bUDQ5-Qx2DBbRMUaOeAG-1j6YcvOrq0JUPoFElmc-ShTmgxRKD8YBCVDudZGhh54cfECdbDJxWuG7L0LYO7FStUI_Td_L6CMH1WanVBPtfXORTVmYovl2oI-m6b4Pw=w876-h657-no
Reverse Uncommons (Is Relic Hunter particularly valuable? Idk where I read that):
ACtC-3fMaFJ1wQI7kTQAhuvtlqU0wPWDgx64asWSHDyhbzj7B7WqOhUqrCdpjXpRS9eoZxBIJuwfeqYf0Aon3pq2EZYpzvgQm_YJTT3XrNFzAGK6EIMDhEV4L6QzxAWlxTxBJoj0KbLKFDXa65TSInpJFZwevA=w876-h657-no
And finally my Reverse Commons:
ACtC-3cLjkVXYa_4FkJZ7yQzoh99VtW0zWmyG0VHjS5cRIQyRMQeO0f-2ULPMORdVAGZQQM137eJZaoDQTnyVpMdRk4aMX-SU00RcfyxdEudCiiZnhK-uQBufA4H7icaJWArCWVKLwt7n577xB5Ey7MCbat4CQ=w876-h657-no
And that's pretty much it.
Actually I found a bunch more later lol
ACtC-3cFmg4PqoYYiL-fG1YyvWD720zLxLakBmKhLlo3_SC4quR0jMXnRk-qdtiW9uIiQ5bwLjP6nvU54YIasHayZRQJXI2RBcT7A67gmcbB8u5mAA3R2wwaz7O3dPmjavaN8ekR_iAWJaBgNEmrwjebYgheqA=w876-h657-no

ACtC-3f8XHegrRh2LLJdk7vr3WfnlevtSacEsthVB0zpcIAyXb1VyTWp7nfyynop7paAFSPDUOHglPrABmhABCaftBP-uCtB2zjr6GYS6MhKmmKoWc3weSs_MfKpvHtbrrz4pwW_xKdbawHHvcIVpdUkFNhlXg=w876-h657-no

I'm in a financial situation right now that getting rid of these would be of great help. However, I live in Brazil and don't know of any collectors around me, or what it would take to sell these to other countries.
Would love to know what to expect value wise, especially if there's something unexpected. Love this thread, sorry again for the bad photos.

OP
OP
Finale Fireworker

Finale Fireworker

Oct 25, 2017
United States
riq I will take a look for you ASAP. Unfortunately I'm really busy this weekend and probably won't be able to get to the computer until later tomorrow. I promise though I will be back!

OP
OP
Finale Fireworker

Finale Fireworker

Oct 25, 2017
United States
First of all, sorry for the terrible pics.
Years ago I came across an online store in my country that had multiple Skyridge booster boxes for around $100 each. I was told that it was an insane price when accounting for the sets rarity. As someone who really digs the e-card era of the TCG, I ordered two of those. With current prices as they are, I wish I kept at least one sealed...
So here's what was inside those boxes.
All but Golem and one of the Ho-Ohs are reverse foils.
ACtC-3ei5sTfAFxiY42cZ_Tfsi7z81zLZBkZINjaD17jAeb5by7LIXjJWcTugaiVqHvGjvFD2A74ppV7ROHfaXM81c6gNhaWa2kpD9rkhzP2QEu4ruSy-gA0tKSZaqrFi6ffCs1gJclpKt1IFUKvlOmul0NAHA=w493-h657-no
Unfortunately my city is absolutely, constantly damp, and as an amateur collector I wasn't able to keep them straight. All my holos are slightly bent. I keep them in sleeves, with two back to back in each to reduce the effect but it is still noticeable.
ACtC-3clUTvk96b010EDEGvGS6rFmaMNPCiMQxLda-1a5sYlDANJnzT742GgaCShsx7YgYNt0aQn9pkKNtLi2kKvrZvecstRlyiBDUNLWhCDmxIpA6yUmRgwQaML5_ZAC0BNmKpsztO0t6X3XdwONQv6ZCAzOA=w493-h657-no
Regular Crystal Ho-Oh has never left its case, so I hope it is in perfect shape, but I can't tell. Shh, keep it a secret, but there's a second reverse holo Ho-Oh sharing its sleeve.
ACtC-3ekQuWMA32LVwSPJYdGpOV58lTjc5xMhB6lzVJ-lCfd2DJpRosnfbWDK_xDIvowakhhtFjeQNIrPNbsfOLjAfI3vbQOmhkSX-2uhF8GXaa5a8w8CGef74bZuOEiEFSVknfAn7XR-bmchVlM7FVO4Y_OeA=w493-h657-no
Rare holos (see if you can spot the intruder):
ACtC-3db-MF9R-S6VQB66rVR5DEmT8qrYxJ2yB2eh97wD-WxQqaUiLivBMKdjJtrbRjKqbCUivJLb7TyIkhKsYkFIkkMFQBjqsegCLf8GV1ZEnla0nt17gy6SWlwi5QsqYMyRk5gDAjm_b0JcYEymaTYCCeitw=w876-h657-no

ACtC-3e5qf5hb-DmLeN0bzlAHdJm946aK8SpL8savO7iftUBndigvfdiv2sGnVjDtvRBVtIfOcwGCRCiBWMD4nrwgv181f0vE-6fI9QJgO6CMyTIawAcd5mziHwqTMzV54ufGyNSq2DJTw8D7u8XGbtVNp5ZxQ=w876-h657-no
Reverse Holo Rares:
ACtC-3f0_dhAgaxYWRYEhSVVkbzrZ_TcpGCq72bTDYUKViLumOvXLb39M_heHVkDNVeoOU3NnzjddJ4BlXqfNvXc6YcUSzM7bRvrger77fY1I3O2IpavT3ZP99HmvxMewu9fNZU30lvi07BFbVTc_8KYaQZFHw=w876-h657-no
A complete set of regular Rares:
ACtC-3eAD4kUxjah5zxc1jYTjo3fkUMC3jT4rcKL8WWqNcByipjs0rXxAFm2LF2qkFRM5NgTXNFVghMoSP4raqoWIZzetKcaIZeT-3cXbhyB4GHaRHdS6CK-81lEDsaZOY0aGJ0jDaTSlXQqalUgHtUk2hsBTA=w876-h657-no

ACtC-3ctiAdjP5_GrnZ5G25ashbT7GE9bUDQ5-Qx2DBbRMUaOeAG-1j6YcvOrq0JUPoFElmc-ShTmgxRKD8YBCVDudZGhh54cfECdbDJxWuG7L0LYO7FStUI_Td_L6CMH1WanVBPtfXORTVmYovl2oI-m6b4Pw=w876-h657-no
Reverse Uncommons (Is Relic Hunter particularly valuable? Idk where I read that):
ACtC-3fMaFJ1wQI7kTQAhuvtlqU0wPWDgx64asWSHDyhbzj7B7WqOhUqrCdpjXpRS9eoZxBIJuwfeqYf0Aon3pq2EZYpzvgQm_YJTT3XrNFzAGK6EIMDhEV4L6QzxAWlxTxBJoj0KbLKFDXa65TSInpJFZwevA=w876-h657-no
And finally my Reverse Commons:
ACtC-3cLjkVXYa_4FkJZ7yQzoh99VtW0zWmyG0VHjS5cRIQyRMQeO0f-2ULPMORdVAGZQQM137eJZaoDQTnyVpMdRk4aMX-SU00RcfyxdEudCiiZnhK-uQBufA4H7icaJWArCWVKLwt7n577xB5Ey7MCbat4CQ=w876-h657-no
And that's pretty much it.
Actually I found a bunch more later lol
ACtC-3cFmg4PqoYYiL-fG1YyvWD720zLxLakBmKhLlo3_SC4quR0jMXnRk-qdtiW9uIiQ5bwLjP6nvU54YIasHayZRQJXI2RBcT7A67gmcbB8u5mAA3R2wwaz7O3dPmjavaN8ekR_iAWJaBgNEmrwjebYgheqA=w876-h657-no

ACtC-3f8XHegrRh2LLJdk7vr3WfnlevtSacEsthVB0zpcIAyXb1VyTWp7nfyynop7paAFSPDUOHglPrABmhABCaftBP-uCtB2zjr6GYS6MhKmmKoWc3weSs_MfKpvHtbrrz4pwW_xKdbawHHvcIVpdUkFNhlXg=w876-h657-no

I'm in a financial situation right now that getting rid of these would be of great help. However, I live in Brazil and don't know of any collectors around me, or what it would take to sell these to other countries.
Would love to know what to expect value wise, especially if there's something unexpected. Love this thread, sorry again for the bad photos.

Good morning, my friend. Thank you for being patient while I got back to you. I've been a lot busier lately and it's harder to get back to folks as consistently as I could in earlier point of this thread's life. However I am happy to report you've got some good stuff here. I know you mention some curling in the holos, but thankfully this is not considered damage. Many holos curl due to atmosphere and it's not something that deters most buyers since the card will be flat in their binder anyway.

These are beautiful cards. Great to see so much art from the e-series, which many more collectors are coming to appreciate as some of the best art produced in the WotC era.

• Crystal Golem Skyridge 148/144 has some lower end prices around $100, but most of the time this is selling for flay $300. (Link 1 Link 2 Link 3) Don't short sell yourself on this one since it's clear people are willing to pay for it.

• Crystal Ho-oh is big money, which is exciting. This has several recent sales between $650-$850. (Link 1 Link 2 Link 3)

• Crystal Ho-oh Skyridge 149/144 (Reverse) is a bit more spotty. Sometimes it sells for $100-$200. (Link 1 Link 2) Other times it sells for significantly more. (Link 1 Link 2) I'm not sure where yours will end up, but obviously both price points are quite a bit of money.

• Crystal Crobat (Reverse) Skyridge 147/144 is more consistent. There's lots of $150-$200 sales. (Link 1 Link 2 Link 3).

• Crystal Crobat Box Topper 10/12 is neat, you don't see these too often. These jumbo cards (or "box toppers) were incentives to buy full boxes of booster packs rather than singles from stores. Not everyone collects them because they're not quite Pokémon cards, but lots of people enjoy the novelty as well. This one seems to sell right around $150 most of the time. (Link 1 Link 2)

• Crystal Kabutops (Reverse) Skyridge 150/144, like Crobat above, is $150-$200. (Link 1 Link 2)

• Crystal Kabutops Box Topper 12/12 doesn't have as much of a consistent price point as Crobat did. Some sales put it in the same price range as $100-$200. (Link 1 Link 2), but then there's big outliers like this $275. I think the jumbo cards probably depend a lot on availability at the time so if there aren't many competing listings at your time of sale you can expect more.

All your holos should be pretty consistent. One of my favorite cards is in there, Starmie Skyridge H28/H32. I love that card, hands down the coolest Starmie. So something I will say about this series of cards is that they 1) have not always been in demand and 2) are in high demand right this moment. Because they've seen a big uptick in value over the last year they don't have the most stable price points. A lot of the time they're going for high prices that people are willing to pay even if there are lower prices consistently coming out of auctions. I will probably have to give you two price points for most of these cards and yours will sell for somewhere in between.

• Gyarados Skyridge H10/H32 is one of the most popular Gyarados of all time, which is saying something since it's such a beloved Pokémon. This is $400-$500 without any fuss. (Link 1 Link 2 Link 3)
  • Houndoom Skyridge H11/H32 is really inconsistent so I'm not sure what to say. Low it sold for $70. Then it has some $250-$350 sales. But then this one is $563. No idea what to say about this one, but I think it's most likely to sell for $250-$350.
  • Jolteon Skyridge H12/H32 is very consistent between $150 and $250. (Link 1 Link 2) However it can also sell for $400. (Link 1 Link 2)
  • Kabutops Skyridge H13/H32 has more lowball price points of any of these cards, often selling for less than $50. But $100-$120 is still likely. (Link 1 Link 2)
  • Flareon H14/H32 is usually $100-$150 but has some big sales too. This one sold to an offer but was listed at $600. This one sold for an offer but was listed at $439. Maybe $300 isn't out of the question here.
  • Machamp Skyridge H15/H32 has prices as low as $60-$100 (Link 1 Link 2) to as high as $200+ (Link 1 Link 2 Link 3)
  • Magcargo Skyridge H16/H32 has prices as low as $60-$75 (Link 1 Link 2) but has sold for $200 and several $100 prices. (Link 1 Link 2)
  • Magneton Skyridge H18/H32 is as low as $25 but mostly as+ high as $150-$200. (Link 1 Link 2)
  • Magneton Skyridge H19/H32 is as low as $50 and as high as $150, but there's lots of $150 range. (Link 1 Link 2)
  • Nidoqueen Skyridge H21/H32 is consistently between $100 and $200. (Link 1 Link 2)
  • Piloswine Skyridge H22/H32 has low prices around $50 but most prices around $150. (Link 1 Link 2)
  • Politoed Skyridge H23/H32 has low prices around $50 and high prices around $150. But it also just hit $250.
  • Poliwrath Skyridge H24/H32 seems pretty strong with most prices putting it at $200. (Link 1 Link 2 Link 3)
  • Raichu Skyridge H25/H32 has low end in the $30s but high end $100-$150. (Link 1 Link 2 Link 3)
  • Raikou Skyridge H26/H32 is a desirable holo for sure. This card's low end is $100-$150. (Link 1 Link 2) but frequently reaches $275-$300. (Link 1 Link 2)
  • Rhydon Skyridge H27/H32 is about $60-$80 low end and somewhere in the mid $100s for high end. (Link 1 Link 2) Of all the ones checked so far, this one seems most likely to sell for its lower end prices.
  • Starmie Skyridge H28/H32 - I love this card - everything is between $100 and $200 with a pretty big swing, but no meaningful low end prices to speak of. (Link 1 Link 2 Link 3)
  • Steelix Skyridge H29/H32 has some low prices around $50 but like most others is worth around $150. (Link 1 Link 2)
  • Umbreon Skyridge H30/-H32 is big money, people love the Eevees. But prices are all over the place. There is $300 (Link 1 Link 2) There's $650+ (Link 1 Link 2). There's $1,000. (Link 1 Link 2 Link 2) My advice for this card is to assess your condition and list high while accepting best offers to see what you can get. This card is probably the best example of people just willing to pay a ton of money for it regardless of what it sold for recently.
  • Vaporeon Skyridge H31/H32 isn't as big as Umbreon. But its low end prices are around $150 and selling for $400 often. (Link 1 Link 2)
  • Xatu Skyridge H32/H32 is another great card, not a Pokémon who has many cool cards. This is probably the most consistent of any I've looked up so far and I'm just going to call it $80. (Link 1 Link 2 Link 3)
  • The Raikou Japanese VS card you've got there is neat. This is about a $40 card. (Link 1 Link 2) The VS series of cards was never released worldwide.
For all the reverse holos, I am going to generalize a bit because these prices are more consistent.
  • Forretress, Ledian, Kabutops, Magneton, Nidoqueen, Rhydon, Vaporeon, and Xatu are all $25-$40.
  • Arcanine and Moltres are $40-$60.
For your regular rares, these are also pretty consistent. You can count them all at an average of $20 a piece.
Your errant reverse holos for commons and uncommons are around $20-30 a piece. Nothing special about Relic Hunter though.

So, some final thoughts: You definitely have a ton of value here. Focus on selling your most holos and most expensive cards first. These cards should go quickly because they are a lot more scarce than earlier cards from the era and demand for them seems pretty high. It's especially cool you have so much of Skyridge, a really beautiful and rare set that most people only have a few cards from because they were getting out of Pokémon around its original release. You absolutely lucked out by finding those unopened booster boxes, but you'll profit massively from it now at least.

Please let me know if you have any questions. I will get back to you as soon as I can. It's been difficult for me to get online lately but I will always come back.

Also if any other folks need me give me a ping.

riq

Feb 21, 2019
Finale Fireworker thank you so much for the detailed breakdown! The time you put in your posts is deeply appreciated.
It's a relief the curl doesn't outright devalue my cards. I'm gonna have to think hard about how I'll approach selling these. Exporting won't be trivial, but I don't see the domestic market caring much for old sets.

OP
OP
Finale Fireworker

Finale Fireworker

Oct 25, 2017
United States
Finale Fireworker thank you so much for the detailed breakdown! The time you put in your posts is deeply appreciated.
It's a relief the curl doesn't outright devalue my cards. I'm gonna have to think hard about how I'll approach selling these. Exporting won't be trivial, but I don't see the domestic market caring much for old sets.
You will almost certainly be selling to North Americans/Europeans on eBay since they're the ones with the fever. I am not sure what sort of challenges you may face where you are from. You could see if the eBay Global Shipping Program exists in your country as well. This would allow you to send all your sales to a domestic address and eBay takes care of the rest. I use this for my international shipping and it's a lot easier than shipping internationally myself.

bomma man

Oct 25, 2017
Bookmarking this thread because I just dug out my collection and I think I have some potentially decent stuff.

As advised in the first post I intend to sell my rare cards (1st ed shiny Ampharos and Steelix maybe my most valuable?) individually (though I cannot be arsed with proper appraisal), and the rest as a lot. But should the latter also apply to 1st ed common and normals? Are they rare enough to sell individually? I think I must've bought two or three packs of 1st ed, early gen 2 (in the video games sense), so I have a few cards.

Sorry if this has already been answered!

Edit:

Sorry for the shitty photos - it was either light and glare-y, or no light and blurry

IMG-8576.jpg

IMG-8577.jpg

IMG-8578.jpg

IMG-8579.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Finale Fireworker

Finale Fireworker

Oct 25, 2017
United States
Bookmarking this thread because I just dug out my collection and I think I have some potentially decent stuff.

Good morning my friend. You actually do have some decent stuff! However before I price for you I want to preface by saying Pokémon is dipping right now. Lots of people in the US (the biggest market) are vaccinated and are enjoying the weather and less stir crazy shut ins means a cooling of the market. This is causing uncompetitive auctions and lower prices. There are some gigantic swings right now that make it hard to gauge what the "expected" price of a card will be. I'll use your Bellossom as an example.

Recently, 1st Edition Bellossom Neo Genesis 3/111 sold for $172 and $200 - great prices. It also sold for... $1.99. All three of these listings were auctions. Two were very competitive and saw high sale prices. One obviously tanked. So trying to pinpoint the expected sale price right now is challenging. I recommend that you do not do auctions and instead list at a buy it now price with an offer option. You will have to be flexible, but you will still make money. The estimates I give you may not be the highest prices you see, but I want to give you an accurate expectation.

• 1st Edition Bellossom Neo Genesis 3/111 will probably sell for somewhere between $60 and $90.
  • 1st Edition Steelix Neo Genesis 15/111 will probably sell for between $60-$100.
  • 1st Edition Ampharos Neo Genesis 1/111 will probably sell for around $60-$100.
  • Blastoise Base Set 2/102 will probably sell for between $60 and $100.
  • Raichu Base Set 14/102 will probably sell for between $15 and $30.
  • Mewtwo Base Set 10/102 will probably sell for between $20 and $40.
  • Gyarados Base Set 6/102 is very flat at about $15.
  • Jolteon Jungle 4/61 is right around $25.
  • Nidoqueen Jungle 7/64 is around $15.
  • Kangaskhan Jungle 5/64 hits at about $10.
  • Wigglytuff Jungle 16/64 is $15-$25.
  • Lapras Fossil 10/62 is very flat at about $12.
  • Gengar Fossil 5/62 will go for between $20 and $40
  • Machamp Base Set 8/102 is always 1st Edition and sells for about $10.
  • Ancient Mew sells for $25.
  • Meowth Black Star Promo #10 is $15-$20.
All the non-holo rares are about $5 a piece.
All the common and uncommon 1st editions look like they're all Gym and Neo sets. Since bulk is down right now because there's plenty of inventory I'd only put these around $3-$5 a card.

These are my conservative estimates. It's entirely possible you sell all your stuff for twice as much as I indicated (see Bellossom from earlier), but I don't like to set high expectations, especially since the market is finally correcting.

If you decide not to sell right now, hold on for another couple of years. The market always, always trends back up.

bomma man

Oct 25, 2017
Good morning my friend. You actually do have some decent stuff! However before I price for you I want to preface by saying Pokémon is dipping right now. Lots of people in the US (the biggest market) are vaccinated and are enjoying the weather and less stir crazy shut ins means a cooling of the market. This is causing uncompetitive auctions and lower prices. There are some gigantic swings right now that make it hard to gauge what the "expected" price of a card will be. I'll use your Bellossom as an example.

Recently, 1st Edition Bellossom Neo Genesis 3/111 sold for $172 and $200 - great prices. It also sold for... $1.99. All three of these listings were auctions. Two were very competitive and saw high sale prices. One obviously tanked. So trying to pinpoint the expected sale price right now is challenging. I recommend that you do not do auctions and instead list at a buy it now price with an offer option. You will have to be flexible, but you will still make money. The estimates I give you may not be the highest prices you see, but I want to give you an accurate expectation.

• 1st Edition Bellossom Neo Genesis 3/111 will probably sell for somewhere between $60 and $90.
  • 1st Edition Steelix Neo Genesis 15/111 will probably sell for between $60-$100.
  • 1st Edition Ampharos Neo Genesis 1/111 will probably sell for around $60-$100.
  • Blastoise Base Set 2/102 will probably sell for between $60 and $100.
  • Raichu Base Set 14/102 will probably sell for between $15 and $30.
  • Mewtwo Base Set 10/102 will probably sell for between $20 and $40.
  • Gyarados Base Set 6/102 is very flat at about $15.
  • Jolteon Jungle 4/61 is right around $25.
  • Nidoqueen Jungle 7/64 is around $15.
  • Kangaskhan Jungle 5/64 hits at about $10.
  • Wigglytuff Jungle 16/64 is $15-$25.
  • Lapras Fossil 10/62 is very flat at about $12.
  • Gengar Fossil 5/62 will go for between $20 and $40
  • Machamp Base Set 8/102 is always 1st Edition and sells for about $10.
  • Ancient Mew sells for $25.
  • Meowth Black Star Promo #10 is $15-$20.
All the non-holo rares are about $5 a piece.
All the common and uncommon 1st editions look like they're all Gym and Neo sets. Since bulk is down right now because there's plenty of inventory I'd only put these around $3-$5 a card.

These are my conservative estimates. It's entirely possible you sell all your stuff for twice as much as I indicated (see Bellossom from earlier), but I don't like to set high expectations, especially since the market is finally correcting.

If you decide not to sell right now, hold on for another couple of years. The market always, always trends back up.

Thanks so much! This thread is a really great resource, and must've been a lot of work.

I had a quick look on eBay when I posted it and noticed the same trend, though I'm in Australia so I'm not sure whether there's been a similar bubble here, I suspect not. I dunno whether it'd be worth selling internationally - does seem like bit of hassle? Happy to hold onto them though, not desperate for money in the short term.

OP
OP
Finale Fireworker

Finale Fireworker

Oct 25, 2017
United States
Thanks so much! This thread is a really great resource, and must've been a lot of work.

I had a quick look on eBay when I posted it and noticed the same trend, though I'm in Australia so I'm not sure whether there's been a similar bubble here, I suspect not. I dunno whether it'd be worth selling internationally - does seem like bit of hassle? Happy to hold onto them though, not desperate for money in the short term.
You'd definitely want to sell worldwide. I am not sure of the eBay Global Shipping Program exists in Australia, this is something to look up. But if it does, you just send all your international sales to a central eBay office in your country and then they take care of the hard part. I've been using it for years. It's more expensive for your buyer but it's way easier for you.

bomma man

Oct 25, 2017
You'd definitely want to sell worldwide. I am not sure of the eBay Global Shipping Program exists in Australia, this is something to look up. But if it does, you just send all your international sales to a central eBay office in your country and then they take care of the hard part. I've been using it for years. It's more expensive for your buyer but it's way easier for you.

Sick, I'll look into it. Thanks again, can't thank you enough <3

KezayJS1

Apr 25, 2021
It has been a bit but wanted to provide an update after selling several 1st edition holo rare cards from the Neo Destiny expansion. I'm closing in on the end of my 3 months since starting and have managed nearly $2800 in sales so far, so yeah that's pretty exciting ^ _ ^

WadeIt0ut

Oct 28, 2017
Iowa
I had a PSA1-10 1st edition base Blastoise set that I sold along with some PSA 10 gold stars and a bunch of PSA 10 French first edition base holos. I bought the French box and broke it myself. So a lot of the holos had a population under 5. I made several thousand profit off of it but the best part was that they all ended up going to collectors over in France where they belong.

OP
OP
Finale Fireworker

Finale Fireworker

Oct 25, 2017
United States
It has been a bit but wanted to provide an update after selling several 1st edition holo rare cards from the Neo Destiny expansion. I'm closing in on the end of my 3 months since starting and have managed nearly $2800 in sales so far, so yeah that's pretty exciting ^ _ ^
That's phenomenal! Can I put you on the success stories? Congrats on such a big return. :)

KezayJS1

Apr 25, 2021
That's phenomenal! Can I put you on the success stories? Congrats on such a big return. :)

Certainly, have at it! In fact, since my post I managed to sell a 1st Ed. Shining Raichu for a little under 700 pushing my total to a little over 3400 now (after seller fees and all)! I tried to screen cap my ebay profile to show a visual of my 90 day progress but I'm guessing I don't have permissions yet to post/insert media.

MrT-Tar

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
After what seems like an eternity since I first stumbled across this thread, I recently visited my parents' house and brought back my Pokemon card collection. It's spread across a big lever arch file (so full it can't shut properly) sorted by Pokedex order and then several small boxes for energy and trainer cards. I've ordered loads of new Ultra Pro Platinum binder wallets and later this month will start reorganising everything by individual set. I'm also planning a spreadsheet so I can actually track what I have.

However, I've first gone through and made mental notes of the exact cards I had. The vast majority of my cards are easily identifiable and classifiable by individual set, but I've picked out the following Japanese cards that I can't seem to categorise.

Given the language barrier and the fact that most lack set symbols, I can't even name each of these cards. However, many (possibly all) appear to be promo cards. For example, I can identify the original Japanese versions of Arcanine #6 and Cool Porygon. Some of the later cards also appear to have corporate logos (McDonald's and Meiji Chocolate), suggesting they were part of sort sort of cross-promotion.

However, confusingly one of the cards also appears to be Super Energy Retrieval (and shares the Neo Genesis artwork), but has a glossy finish and lacks a set symbol so I'm guessing it was an earlier special release. Additionally, some of the cards have set symbols (such as what I presume is Rocket's Meowth), but I can't find them on online lists of the given set - so I'm guessing they are also promo cards, albeit ones tied to wider sets.

I appreciate that some of these cards are outside the 1999-2003 time period strictly covered by this thread, but I would be really grateful if any of the experts in this thread could elaborate on these cards and explain if any are particularly rare.

OP
OP
Finale Fireworker

Finale Fireworker

Oct 25, 2017
United States
MrT-Tar I will get back to you in detail as soon as I can. I actually can tell you a lot about most of these because I've recently gotten in to Japanese promos. Unfortunately I am slammed with stuff this week. I will try not to leave you waiting for long.

Deleted member 40853

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 9, 2018
Hey there! I posted in this thread a while ago about my shadowless Charizard, but never got around to selling it. It is in ROUGH condition, but I would love to flip it for whatever I can to help fund my new obsession (Digimon TCG).

imgur.com

Imgur: The magic of the Internet

Really just looking for some input on what I should try to sell it for, what I should start bidding at, etc. If I can get a couple hundred bucks that would be amazing. I've never sold any cards before, is it best to list stuff on eBay and ship with a bubble mailer + top loader? Thanks for any help!

MrT-Tar

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
MrT-Tar I will get back to you in detail as soon as I can. I actually can tell you a lot about most of these because I've recently gotten in to Japanese promos. Unfortunately I am slammed with stuff this week. I will try not to leave you waiting for long.

Thank you, that's really appreciated - and there's also no need to rush! I'm also going to start going through the rest of my cards too, but I'll have to pause next week as I'm away.

OP
OP
Finale Fireworker

Finale Fireworker

Oct 25, 2017
United States
After what seems like an eternity since I first stumbled across this thread, I recently visited my parents' house and brought back my Pokemon card collection. It's spread across a big lever arch file (so full it can't shut properly) sorted by Pokedex order and then several small boxes for energy and trainer cards. I've ordered loads of new Ultra Pro Platinum binder wallets and later this month will start reorganising everything by individual set. I'm also planning a spreadsheet so I can actually track what I have.

However, I've first gone through and made mental notes of the exact cards I had. The vast majority of my cards are easily identifiable and classifiable by individual set, but I've picked out the following Japanese cards that I can't seem to categorise.

Given the language barrier and the fact that most lack set symbols, I can't even name each of these cards. However, many (possibly all) appear to be promo cards. For example, I can identify the original Japanese versions of Arcanine #6 and Cool Porygon. Some of the later cards also appear to have corporate logos (McDonald's and Meiji Chocolate), suggesting they were part of sort sort of cross-promotion.

However, confusingly one of the cards also appears to be Super Energy Retrieval (and shares the Neo Genesis artwork), but has a glossy finish and lacks a set symbol so I'm guessing it was an earlier special release. Additionally, some of the cards have set symbols (such as what I presume is Rocket's Meowth), but I can't find them on online lists of the given set - so I'm guessing they are also promo cards, albeit ones tied to wider sets.

I appreciate that some of these cards are outside the 1999-2003 time period strictly covered by this thread, but I would be really grateful if any of the experts in this thread could elaborate on these cards and explain if any are particularly rare.

Good morning my friend. Thank you for your patience while I took the time to get back to you. I will help you here as much as I can and also see if I can direct you to resources to help yourself going forward. These are confusing cards! But I can help you right up until Cleffa., the second to last page.

In summary, these cards are all "Unnumbered Promotional Cards", which is a huge category spanning many, many cards during this time period. These cards have little relationship to one another beyond being promo cards and the majority of them were never released in English. But this can also make it hard to identify what exactly you're looking at, so let met start with this link.

This is as complete of a resource you will find in English for Japanese promos. While the timeline is really accurate, lots of these cards have variants distributed through alternate/multiple methods and sometimes the card is slightly different and sometimes the card is exactly the same. Let's look at this card for example, Cool Porygon.

From the list view, you can see this card was distributed from the "Nintendo 64 Double Get Campaign (December 10, 1997-January 31, 1998" - a promotion that distributed this card along with Hungry Snorlax. You have both of these cards in your binder and both of these cards are listed as 1997 promos in the list. But when you go to the actual page for Cool Porygon, you'll notice this is the catch-all page for this card and focuses on the English card first and foremost.

When you scroll down, you will see a summary of its release information. This card reads:
This card was as a Wizards Black Star Promo released as part of a Nintendo 64 bundle package with Pokémon Stadium. In Japan, it was first available as an Unnumbered Promotional card as part of the Nintendo 64 Double Get Campaign. Between December 10, 1997 and January 31, 1998, customers at participating stores who purchased a Nintendo 64 were given a booklet containing Cool Porygon, Hungry Snorlax, and a set of two Food counters for use with Hungry Snorlax's attacks. Customers were also given a copy of Singing Pokémon Encyclopedia. Later Japanese versions were reprinted as one of a selection of cards included in the Pokémon Song Best Collection CD, released on January 1, 1999. Later English versions were available through the Pokémon League in 2000.

We can ignore the English release because it's not meaningful to us, but we can see this was distributed twice in Japan - once through the aforementioned Nintendo 64 promotion and then once again as part of the Best Song Collection. One of these releases would be much rarer than the other, so the question is whether or not these two releases are different in any way.

This is where it's going to get difficult. For some cards the answer is yes. For some cards the answer is no. For Cool Porygon and Hungry Snorlax, to my knowledge, the cards are identical with no differences between them whatsoever. So whether you got it through the rare and limited Nintendo 64 promotion or the Best Song CD at retail doesn't matter because they were exactly the same card.

Let's look at another card in your collection, and one you specifically called out: Super Energy Retrieval. Let's look at the release information:
In Japan, this card was first available as an Unnumbered Promotional card on a two-card insert alongside Mewtwo in the Pocket Monsters Fan Book, released on May 20, 1997. A mail-in prize draw offering another copy was published in the December 1998 issue of Bessatsu CoroCoro Comic Special, released in late October 1998. People wishing to enter the prize draw were required to affix the application ticket on the bottom left of the article page to a postcard and send it to Shogakukan. Two thousand winners were sent a set of five mounted cards on two plain sheets: Imakuni? and Super Energy Retrieval on one; Computer Error, Lt. Surge's Electabuzz, and Erika's Dratini on the other.

It was later reprinted as one of a selection of cards included in the Pokémon Song Best Collection CD, released on January 1, 1999. It was printed outside of Japan in the Neo Genesis expansion. The Japanese Gold, Silver, to a New World... print was updated to include "basic Energy cards" in the card effect, as Special Energy cards had yet to appear in the TCG at the time of its original print. This change was included in the wording for the English version.

Once again we have a card that was distributed two ways - once through a mail in promotion and once through the same CD collection as before. But unlike Cool Porygon and Hungry Snorlax, these cards are not the same. One of them is glossy and one of them is not. Super Energy Retrieval appears twice in the list view, one denoted glossy and one not denoted at all, which is how you know they were different cards tied to each distribution method. But neither are specified in the actual article. This is why you have to use the list, the article, and your own cards as a comparison to figure out what one you have. Your glossy card was distributed through the CD Collection.

The last thing relates to set symbols. In English, promos were denoted with a special "Black Star" set symbol to let you know they were promos. But in Japan, many of them use the same set symbol as the set they were promoting. This is why you have a lot of cards which have Neo Genesis set symbols.

I am going to list what each of your promos are for you so you can, at least, know what you have:
  • Arcanine - Distributed once through a Toyota Promotion and once in the Best Song CD Collection. To my knoweldge, the cards are identical.

• Dragonite ("Game Boy Dragonite") - Distributed in Japanese boxes of the Pokémon Trading Card Game for the Game Boy Color.

• Cool Porygon - Distributed through the Nintendo 64 campaign and the Best Song Collection alongside Hungry Snorlax.

• Hungry Snorlax - Distributed through the Nintendo 64 campaign and the Best Song Collection alongside Cool Porygon.

• 20 Damage From Confusion - Distributed as part of the Vending Series 3 promos.

• Imakuni? - Distributed through CoroCoro Comic.

• Surfing Pikachu - Distributed once through a railway stamp rally and once through Coro Coro. The stamp rally version is standard card stock, the CoroCoro version is on glossy card stock.

• Flying Pikachu - This is the first version of this card, which saw multiple variants. Note the lack of an airplane in the background. This means the card is from CoroCoro. Later versions of the card feature an airplane.

• Flying Pikachu - This is the final version of this card, which saw multiple variants. I tend to think of this one as "Flying Pikachu 2" to distinguish from the first version and its multiple variants. This card was distributed through the "Everyone's Happy" campaign for Nippon Airlines.

• Meowth - One of my favorite cards of all time. Distributed through CoroCoro.

• Misty's Tentacool - Distributed through CoroCoro.

• Brock's Mankey - Distributed through CoroCoro.

• Super Energy Retrieval - We spoke about this one earlier, but this is the version from the CD Collection, which is distinct.

• Pichu - From the Neo Premium File #2, a collection of 9 cards available at retail.

• Lucky Stadium - One of many, many cards which bear this name. This is specifically the Kanto variant of the card featuring Lugia.

• Marill - Distributed through CoroCoro.

• Wooper - Distributed through CoroCoro.

• Cleffa - Distributed through CoroCoro.

So now the question is what these cards are worth and that's hard to pin down. Japanese cards have a smaller collector base in the US, but they're also a lot harder to find and identify. Many have no English counterparts so they are popular add-ons for collectors looking for something unique. I am not an expert in the market for these cards because I am only just getting in to it, but generally CoroCoro promos tend to be $10-$20, those holo promos are $30-$40, and everything else is probably in between.

These are really cool cards and it's awesome you have so many of them. I wish I could give you more advice on how to sell them, but I'm a novice with Japanese cards and their market. Unfortunately I can't help very much on the last page because they're out of my scope. I will help as much as I can though.

OP
OP
Finale Fireworker

Finale Fireworker

Oct 25, 2017
United States
Hey there! I posted in this thread a while ago about my shadowless Charizard, but never got around to selling it. It is in ROUGH condition, but I would love to flip it for whatever I can to help fund my new obsession (Digimon TCG).

imgur.com

Really just looking for some input on what I should try to sell it for, what I should start bidding at, etc. If I can get a couple hundred bucks that would be amazing. I've never sold any cards before, is it best to list stuff on eBay and ship with a bubble mailer + top loader? Thanks for any help!
Good morning! I'm sorry it's taking so long for me to get back to folks. I just sat down to look at your cards but the imgur album comes up as a 404 for me. Could you reupload them and I'll take a look as soon as I can?

Deleted member 40853

Banned
Mar 9, 2018
Good morning! I'm sorry it's taking so long for me to get back to folks. I just sat down to look at your cards but the imgur album comes up as a 404 for me. Could you reupload them and I'll take a look as soon as I can?

Please no need to apologize! Sorry about the album, here's a reupload I just posted on Reddit:
imgur.com

Shadowless Charizard

I posted the card on Reddit with an asking price of $350. My understanding was that's a bit high but worth a shot before I start coming down. Thanks!

OP
OP
Finale Fireworker

Finale Fireworker

Oct 25, 2017
United States
Please no need to apologize! Sorry about the album, here's a reupload I just posted on Reddit:
imgur.com

Shadowless Charizard

I posted the card on Reddit with an asking price of $350. My understanding was that's a bit high but worth a shot before I start coming down. Thanks!
I went looking for ya to see if I could find anything in similar condition. This one is arguably in worse condition and still managed to sell for $231 USD, which is pretty good. When you get down to these lower grades of condition the price doesn't really change much so I don't think $250 is out of the question for you. I think if you went in with a goal of $250 but were flexible down to $175-$200 you should have an easier time selling it.

Here's a one in better condition that sold for $330 to give you an idea.

But if there's one thing you can always bank on, it's Charizard. Charizard always sells.

Deleted member 40853

Banned
Mar 9, 2018
I went looking for ya to see if I could find anything in similar condition. This one is arguably in worse condition and still managed to sell for $231 USD, which is pretty good. When you get down to these lower grades of condition the price doesn't really change much so I don't think $250 is out of the question for you. I think if you went in with a goal of $250 but were flexible down to $175-$200 you should have an easier time selling it.

But if there's one thing you can always bank on, it's Charizard. Charizard always sells.

Awesome, thanks for the input!

MrT-Tar

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Good morning my friend. Thank you for your patience while I took the time to get back to you. I will help you here as much as I can and also see if I can direct you to resources to help yourself going forward. These are confusing cards! But I can help you right up until Cleffa., the second to last page.

In summary, these cards are all "Unnumbered Promotional Cards", which is a huge category spanning many, many cards during this time period. These cards have little relationship to one another beyond being promo cards and the majority of them were never released in English. But this can also make it hard to identify what exactly you're looking at, so let met start with this link.

This is as complete of a resource you will find in English for Japanese promos. While the timeline is really accurate, lots of these cards have variants distributed through alternate/multiple methods and sometimes the card is slightly different and sometimes the card is exactly the same. Let's look at this card for example, Cool Porygon.

[SNIP]

These are really cool cards and it's awesome you have so many of them. I wish I could give you more advice on how to sell them, but I'm a novice with Japanese cards and their market. Unfortunately I can't help very much on the last page because they're out of my scope. I will help as much as I can though.

Thank you so much for all the help, I really appreciate how much effort you put in to your post - particularly given how confusing Japanese promo cards are!

Thanks for also providing the Bulbagarden link, which is an incredible resource. I'm going through it at the moment and I never realised quite how many Japanese promo cards were released!

Deleted member 40853

Banned
Mar 9, 2018

Just wanted to update that I ended up selling the card for $270. I sold it on Reddit too, so no eBay fees! Pretty pleased with the result! Thanks for the help.

celban

Oct 27, 2017
Thank you for the incredibly detailed op! The info was very useful. I dug up my old collection at my parents house and found my first edition charizard. It's in poor condition so I wasn't sure what the next steps are.

dpS2GK5.jpg

Using the op info, I think there's justification to go ahead with grading as even a PSA 1 is worth a fair amount.

Does anyone else have any advice?

OP
OP
Finale Fireworker

Finale Fireworker

Oct 25, 2017
United States
Thank you for the incredibly detailed op! The info was very useful. I dug up my old collection at my parents house and found my first edition charizard. It's in poor condition so I wasn't sure what the next steps are.

dpS2GK5.jpg

Using the op info, I think there's justification to go ahead with grading as even a PSA 1 is worth a fair amount.

Does anyone else have any advice?
Good morning!

Could you post a picture of the back of the card as well? PSA1 would be pretty rough. It might be a little better than you think.

But Charizard always sells, rest assured. Our friend from the last post still got a few hundred dollars for their damaged Charizard.

celban

Oct 27, 2017
Hey! Thanks for the prompt response. Here's a photo of the back.
r3SRhsy.jpg

Looking forward to your thoughts!

OP
OP
Finale Fireworker

Finale Fireworker

Oct 25, 2017
United States
Hey again celban.

So first thing is that it's tough to price damaged cards. Obviously the market revolves around proximity to mint and the further away you get the more into uncharted territory you enter.

You are fortunate however that this is 1st Edition Base Set Charizard, a card that will always sell no matter what. But equating tough condition to a specific grade is tough. I spent an hour or so looking at low grades to see what it might compare best to and I think you might consider this card around a PSA 3. Here is an example of a CGC 3: https://www.ebay.com/itm/255018387907

That said, I am not sure it would be worth to grade. There are collectors who collect Charizard in every single grade and because it's difficult to gauge grades on more damaged cards there is appeal in having the card already graded for the benefit of those collectors.

But there are also collectors who REALLY want this card but cannot afford it in typical condition and are instead looking for a more cost effective solution. So keeping it ungraded might attract these kinds of collectors.

I think you might be able to get $400-$600 for this. But this card can surprise you and you might get even more than that. I like to keep expectations in check, so this is a lower estimate.

I recommend listing this as an auction around $400 and give it a long 7-10 day run time. Let it attract as many people as possible and see how much you can get. Treat it like "free money", you know? If you can get $400, great. If you can get $800, great. If you can get even more than that, that rules!

celban

Oct 27, 2017
Hey again celban.

So first thing is that it's tough to price damaged cards. Obviously the market revolves around proximity to mint and the further away you get the more into uncharted territory you enter.

You are fortunate however that this is 1st Edition Base Set Charizard, a card that will always sell no matter what. But equating tough condition to a specific grade is tough. I spent an hour or so looking at low grades to see what it might compare best to and I think you might consider this card around a PSA 3. Here is an example of a CGC 3: https://www.ebay.com/itm/255018387907

That said, I am not sure it would be worth to grade. There are collectors who collect Charizard in every single grade and because it's difficult to gauge grades on more damaged cards there is appeal in having the card already graded for the benefit of those collectors.

But there are also collectors who REALLY want this card but cannot afford it in typical condition and are instead looking for a more cost effective solution. So keeping it ungraded might attract these kinds of collectors.

I think you might be able to get $400-$600 for this. But this card can surprise you and you might get even more than that. I like to keep expectations in check, so this is a lower estimate.

I recommend listing this as an auction around $400 and give it a long 7-10 day run time. Let it attract as many people as possible and see how much you can get. Treat it like "free money", you know? If you can get $400, great. If you can get $800, great. If you can get even more than that, that rules!

incredible feedback. I really appreciate your insight. Lots to chew over!

cable387

Jul 17, 2021
Hello, not sure where to start off but a friend directed me to this forum because I recently found all my old Pokemon TCG cards stored away. I tried to do my due diligence and do some research on my own and had some questions. I'm in no rush to sell so I might just sit on all of them for some time longer because it seems the market on them has dropped a bit recently and finding them and going through them was a big ol' nostalgia trip that was enjoyable. Anyways, I ended up creating a spreadsheet to catalog everything I have with tabs for which collection they are from and I input average sale prices gathered from pricecharting.com. Was wondering if posting a link to the spreadsheet would allow you to give it a lookover and maybe let me know which ones would be worth posting pictures of so I don't post a lot of unnecessary pictures? To my eye a lot of them look pretty pristine, and since finding them I've sleeved them all, but I know card grading is pretty meticulous and I believe that I would only want to have top value cards graded currently due to how they are currently doing pricing on card grading? Not sure if that's correct thinking.

Completely understand if I'm asking too much and reading through several pages of this thread has already been quite enlightening enough.

Sawneeks

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hello again! Wanted to update the thread from my first post and let ya'll know I got the cards back! It was a lot longer than expected but they look really, really nice in the frames. I even went a bit farther and grabbed a frame from Etsy to hold them all and here's the final result. Thanks again Finale Fireworker for the thread!