• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

space_nut

Oct 28, 2017
NJ
Earlier this week, The Coalition released two tech demo videos of its own tests with Unreal Engine 5 to stunning results. However, the Gears 5 developer says that what we saw in the demo was just the tip of the iceberg as the demo does not show how Unreal Engine 5 can take full advantage of Microsoft's ninth-generation consoles.

In an email sent to IGN, a representative for The Coalition said that the tech demo shown off on Monday was not fully optimized to take advantage of the Xbox Series X/S hardware. The Coalition believes that once Unreal Engine 5 is fully optimized, it can anticipate any projects it develops using the game engine to achieve something more impressive than what they showcased in the Alpha Point demo.

The developer also goes on to explain that once new features come to the Series X/S that include improvements to the shader compiler, as well as variable-rate shading optimizations into the game engine, it would allow the developer to take better advantage of the hardware when working with Unreal Engine 5.

"With upcoming Xbox Series shader compiler improvements, adopting faster render target formats, and more usage of async compute and raytracing to use our extra GPU power we expect higher performance and quality through better throughput and utilization of the hardware," a Coalition representative told IGN. "We also have yet to add hardware Variable Rate Shading optimizations which we demonstrated benefits through VRS in Gears 5 on XSX/S, that are not yet in UE5 but The Coalition plans to work with Epic to add. These Xbox-specific advantages are on top of cross-platform optimizations we expect from Epic on the road to UE5 official release next year."

https://www.ign.com/articles/the-coalition-unreal-engine-5-advantages-xbox-series-x-s

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
So excited to see how tech evolves this gen. We're already getting some amazing looking games that leverage hardware features better than I expected at 60fps and this is only the first year of the gen. I'm so happy with the hardware that we've gotten and am pumped for the future.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
there might also be a cinematic that uses the character in the environment as well

Mossiah

Aug 28, 2018
New York
Gears 4 and 5 are full of fantastic technology, and to see The Coalition seemingly on the forefront of pushing UE5 is nice. Their next titles will no doubt be heavy hitters in regards to pushing these next generation machines.

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was honestly pretty underwhelmed with the PS4/XB1 generation from a graphical standpoint, but this current one is legit, and it's barely gotten off the ground.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
There probably isn't a better team that can push Unreal than these guys given their pedigree and history with Epic.

Neo Ankh

Oct 12, 2019
I'd also like to see what NetherRealm could do with UE5 considering the insanity they pulled off with Mortal Kombat 11 using their modified version of UE3.

Xeonidus

“Fuck them kids.”
Oct 28, 2017
This gen is going to be amazing. In some instances, it already is.

rokkerkory

Banned
Jun 14, 2018
Hivebusters looked like a next gen game. Cant wait to see what this team does in 3-5 years time with UE5

zeuanimals

Nov 23, 2017
I was honestly pretty underwhelmed with the PS4/XB1 generation from a graphical standpoint, but this current one is legit, and it's barely gotten off the ground.

It took a while before we got games that were really a gen apart, but the slow creep towards those visuals made it less impactful when we did eventually get them. Not so this gen!

AppleBlade

Nov 15, 2017
Connecticut
I was also underwhelmed with the PS4/XB1 jump but honestly I'm pretty underwhelmed with this jump as well. PS3/360 was the last big jump, ever since then, it feels like we're just on a slow steady climb in eyecandy, VR gave me that huge jump "holy sh*t" feeling but that's fore entirely different reasons.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was also underwhelmed with the PS4/XB1 jump but honestly I'm pretty underwhelmed with this jump as well. PS3/360 was the last big jump, ever since then, it feels like we're just on a slow steady climb in eyecandy, VR gave me that huge jump "holy sh*t" feeling but that's fore entirely different reasons.

Are you sure this isn't just nostalgia? The 360/PS3 jump was met with disappointment too -- Xbox 1.5, wallguy etc

Personally, I think this gen has already proven to be a big leap out of the game, cross-gen limitations aside

Apr 25, 2018
Rockwall, Texas

Why is this an issue? We all know we're in the realm of diminishing returns now, so it's not surprising to see it playing out this way. The longer we go the less noticeable it'll be. That's nothing to be underwhelmed over. Besides it's stuff like SSD's and cloud-assisted rendering plus more sophisticated AI and physics that should be championed. The console wars are winding down and regardless of what is said both Sony and MS know it.

Koklusz

Oct 27, 2017
It's incredible how they've gone from first showing ue4 to Gears 5 especially Hive Busters. The best UE4 game I've seen. That expansion seriously looked like a launch nextgen game
The jump in quality was still rather mild in comparison to evolution of UE3. Compare OG Gears on X360 to Gears Judgment, and the latter not only looks a generation ahead, but runs better to boot.

Arn

Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017
So we're about 3 years away from Gear 6? :/
Is Perfect Dark also a UE5 game?
The Coalition are pretty efficient, and they've had a big chunk of time since Gears 5 to write the storyline and prototype a sequel. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Gears 6 lands in 2023, which would be a four year gap since Gears 5.

Humidex

Oct 27, 2017
I would be very interested to see an Elder Scrolls game at the hands of The Coalition...

Rikimaru

Nov 2, 2017
A jump to Killzone Shadowfall and Infamous Second Son was gigantic.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
The benefit of having an established Unreal developer like the Coalition and how closely they work with both MS and Epic means that they can be at the forefront of improving the engines and software capabilities on both sides as they go. These are all new things dropping at the same time, so there will be a period of learning and growing. Good to see the coalition putting these things through their paces, and clearly giving feedback on both sides to improve the experience for everyone. Love to see it. And I expect to see those learnings trickle down to other XGS studios and to the wider dev community, as well.

Despite Sony's investment in Epic, MS is the platform that utilizes Unreal the most deeply across its organization.

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
I would be very interested to see an Elder Scrolls game at the hands of The Coalition...
I wouldn't be. An open world game in the scope of The Elder Scrolls wouldn't look like that at all. The Coalition are technical wizards with linear games, yes, but they've never made big open world RPGs, which presents completely different challenges.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
They are wizards with Unreal. Can't wait for them to melt eyes with Gears 6
yup. they really are. and this quote got me hyped for their next project
The Coalition believes that once Unreal Engine 5 is fully optimized, it can anticipate any projects it develops using the game engine to achieve something more impressive than what they showcased in the Alpha Point demo.

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
Can't wait to see their what their new IP is, they'll no doubt push Series X to its absolute limit.

AppleBlade

Nov 15, 2017
Connecticut
A jump to Killzone Shadowfall and Infamous Second Son was gigantic.
I played both of those games upon release and they did not feel like a massive leap over The Last of Us on PS3 to me. The Order was the first time I felt a noticeable leap but with the 360/PS3 gen I was being continuously floored by titles left and right. Even lesser known launch titles like Condemned were mind blowing to me and all throughout the early part of that gen we were getting games like Gears, Heavenly Sword, Bioshock, etc. that were all jaw droppers.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
These guys are going to be up there with the best in the industry when they start cranking out UE5 content. Prepare to have your socks rocked.
That new IP rumoured to be in development has me hyped regardless of the scope of the game, will be a thing of beauty.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
They are the best developer using UE. Better than Epic themselves. They will be the one to watch in terms of what is possible on UE5.

AppleBlade

Nov 15, 2017
Connecticut
Why is this an issue? We all know we're in the realm of diminishing returns now, so it's not surprising to see it playing out this way. The longer we go the less noticeable it'll be. That's nothing to be underwhelmed over. Besides it's stuff like SSD's and cloud-assisted rendering plus more sophisticated AI and physics that should be championed. The console wars are winding down and regardless of what is said both Sony and MS know it.
I never said it was an issue. It was just an observation. I'm actually more engaged with gaming now than I've been in a long time. I'm basically just saying the same you said in other words.

AppleBlade

Nov 15, 2017
Connecticut
Are you sure this isn't just nostalgia? The 360/PS3 jump was met with disappointment too -- Xbox 1.5, wallguy etc

Personally, I think this gen has already proven to be a big leap out of the game, cross-gen limitations aside
I don't think it's nostalgia. I've been gaming since the Atari 2600 and have fairly clear memories of games that wowed me visually. I remember going crazy when I played Shenmue and looking at the trees and marveling that the tree had individual leaves or when I first played Bioshock and had the famous moment where you think you're still watching a cutscene and realize that your character is in the water and you can control them and that fire raging in the background and the reflections on the water are real time. I had no moments on that scale with the PS4 and on this gen it's even less.

I don't understand how anyone can really think this is a big jump especially since the PS4 Pro and One X bridged the gap and lessened the impact that these visuals could have had otherwise. It's not like I'm disappointed. I expected this and I know I will play many great looking games in the coming years but I just have not seen a noticeable visual jump yet and I think those jumps are going to be much more subtle going forward.

Ronnie Poncho

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Was a bit surprised to see texture pop-in at 0:40 in the first video, at the bottom of the fountain where the spout is. Really jumped out at me on my first watch.

Otherwise, it looked stunning. Raytracing is absolutely incredible.

Joris-truly

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Netherlands
I have high hopes for this gen. Last gen really didn't move the needle forward in terms of pushing new design concepts through tech leaps.

I feel that not a lot of devs push in that direction anymore, instead spending all the horse power resources on rendering fidelity, build on top of 'tried and true' ideas, instead if figuring out interesting new concepts that possible new features.

As an example. Valve used to do this big time with the Half-life series. A lot of devs did in that period. The most recent pushes in design though tech leap is maybe Shadow of Mordor series (more available ram permitted it's Nemesis concept) and Zelda BOTW (With Nintendo's first tri-core CPU above 1Ghz: Finally having realtime shadows and physics for dynamic player-driven puzzles, possibly to more entities in a single drawcall, etc)

For this gen, don't know what to expect but I hope they figure out ways of utilizing this leap with designs not possible on older gen. Ratchet and Clank was kinda let down for me. Because even with it's NVME steaming leap used for quick asset swaps, it's still the same PS2 formula underneath without a fundamental rethink really (like BOTW for example)

Joris-truly

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Netherlands
I don't think it's nostalgia. I've been gaming since the Atari 2600 and have fairly clear memories of games that wowed me visually. I remember going crazy when I played Shenmue and looking at the trees and marveling that the tree had individual leaves or when I first played Bioshock and had the famous moment where you think you're still watching a cutscene and realize that your character is in the water and you can control them and that fire raging in the background and the reflections on the water are real time. I had no moments on that scale with the PS4 and on this gen it's even less.

I don't understand how anyone can really think this is a big jump especially since the PS4 Pro and One X bridged the gap and lessened the impact that these visuals could have had otherwise. It's not like I'm disappointed. I expected this and I know I will play many great looking games in the coming years but I just have not seen a noticeable visual jump yet and I think those jumps are going to be much more subtle going forward.
I agree, And not to be cynical in anyway. Visual fidelity increasing every gen is kinda a given nowadays. But what i'm really hoping for this gen, is solving legacy game-logic problems that are still rooted in the 7th gen (PS360). Like, limit number of entities on screen (due to deterministic single-threaded logic), or a more physically based world interaction instead of everything being context sensitive animation based.

When the fidelity of the visuals is getting better and better, the more you'll notice the archaic ways those worlds respond to our actions. I hope we see a leap on that front, even though i'm highly aware it's a way more difficult way of progress, compared to increasing visual fidelity.

Last edited: