• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Einherjer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
The store has been included in the "wall" list along with the community

Edit: See the Threadmark for clarification seems like not everything is affected for now.

Last edited:

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
As someone who doesn't have a lot of knowledge in the subject, I'm assuming OP stating "global" means China has its own version of censored/strictly curated Steam ?

MaxAugust

Jan 28, 2018
This is one of those times like English Wikipedia where I am kind of shocked it took this long. I imagine they have usage statistics that guide them or something.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure what it means yet but if it really is the case where Chinese players can't access regular Steam now it'll a big blow for some devs and Steam's attractiveness as a whole. Just recently we saw insane numbers from games like Sea of Thieves or It Takes Two and those are games that were able to reach a huge new audience with Steam in China. I hope that's not lost.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
This is kinda huge no?

For example I just checked Monster Hunter World and from the ~200k total reviews ~80k are in chinese (english ones are ~75k for comparison), steam purchases only.

I checked the link GrrImAFridge posted above and I can't find the game there (could be searching wrong though).

Does this mean that a lot of these players won't be able to get these games anymore, or is there some kind of workaround?

sredgrin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is probably bigger news that some people realize. I'd wager a good chunk of ports we've seen over the years are largely to court China's audience. I'm sure some of them will still find that audience but if this is restrictive enough it could send tremors through the industry with some surprising after effects.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
This is kinda huge no?

For example I just checked Monster Hunter World and from the ~200k total reviews ~80k are in chinese (english ones are ~75k for comparison), steam purchases only.

I checked the link GrrImAFridge posted above and I can't find the game there (could be searching wrong though).

Does this mean that a lot of these players won't be able to get these games anymore, or is there some kind of workaround?
VPNing is huge in China to get around restrictions like this. It's gonna hurt chinese indie devs though

Ceerious

Oct 27, 2017
Asian
It has been on and off for years and this time it really seems like more "serious". You can still occasionally open the store if you refresh the page couple of times. The community has been long banned for years, no questions about that. We still have access to game library and cloud saving...at least for now.

Using UPN is very common for Chinese steam users, especially for multiplayer games like monster world hunter and PUBG because these games don't have mainland server anyways.

Last edited:

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
It has been on and off for years and this time it really seems like more "serious". You can still occasionally open the store if you refresh the page couple of times. The community has been long banned for years, no questions about that. We still have access to game library and cloud saving...at least for now.

Using UPN is very common for Chinese steam users, especially for multiplayer games like monster world hunter and PUBG because these games doesn't have mainland server anyways.

Glad there's some kind of solution at least.

rare

Oct 25, 2017
this is a very, very big fucking deal, and one that is going to fuck over a good amount of things i feel.

Dec 11, 2017
It's weird how people brush off this type of news story. It's beyond cooked how controlling the CCP are. It's disturbing.

Oct 27, 2017
Ugh

Obligatory fuck the CCP.

If they truly think they can continue on like this without the chinese people getting sick of that at some point then they are in for a shocker.

Thankfully I hear VPN is pretty popular in China so at least people can get around it. Hopefully indie developers find ways around it.

OP
OP
Einherjer

Einherjer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
What website is that screenshot from?

No clue it was posted on the steam sub reddit there was also this post:

ktlglxle2m781.jpg

Some people have said it's just a local outage maybe that's true no idea.

Aangster

Oct 27, 2017
Unfortunately, I don't think Gabe and Valve will care about this move given they bent over to offer up Steam China instead.

Oct 31, 2017
Almost one year later (well, two years later than rumors about it started, in fact) I'm still not sure of how "Steam global" and "Steam China" interact with each other.

I know the latter was supposed to be Valve's attempt to prepare ahead for this day, but I also remember reading that the overwhelming majority of the Chinese user base was sticking with the global version and I'm not sure if there's a direct transfer of "library ownership" between the two.

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
Unfortunately, I don't think Gabe and Valve will care about this move given they bent over to offer up Steam China instead.

Well, censoring globally to Chinese standards to avoid ban would be even worse than offering local version.
Exact opposite of bending up imo. More like insurance against bans.

Status
Not open for further replies.