• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

lazerface

Banned
Feb 23, 2020

Been jamming the latest Ulcerate record, just learned about them last year and am currently tearing through their discography.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
Just got tickets for this and even if I know and mostly like the 10-12 headliners I don't know any of the bands below the 4th line...any recommendations?

From the headliners my favorites would be Amon Amarth first and foremost, followed by Blind Guardian, Nightwish, Manowar, Priest, Accept and the Murphys

cartel-por-dias-rock-fest-2021.jpg

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
Just got tickets for this and even if I know and mostly like the 10-12 headliners I don't know any of the bands below the 4th line...any recommendations?

From the headliners my favorites would be Amon Amarth first and foremost, followed by Blind Guardian, Nightwish, Manowar, Priest, Accept and the Murphys

Evil Invaders are good speed metal. Angelus Apatrida is okay thrash metal from Spain

Oct 27, 2017

I don't know what they would be playing at show in 2020, but Anthem is great and I'm fairly certain they'd at least break out this classic:

Outside of the ones you mentioned, I'd check out Orange Goblin, Diamond Head, Riot, and My Dying Bride, too. If it were free, anyway. I probably wouldn't pay to see those bands in 2020. I would pay to see Anthem, though.

Last edited:

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
Evil Invaders are good speed metal. Angelus Apatrida is okay thrash metal from Spain

Thanks! I'll try to check them out, specially Evil Invaders, which is on Friday and it's shaping up to be the best of the 3 days

I don't know what they would be playing at show in 2020, but Anthem is great and I'm fairly certain they'd at least break out this classic:

Outside of the ones you mentioned, I'd check out Orange Goblin, Diamond Head, Riot, and My Dying Bride, too. If it were free, anyway. I probably wouldn't pay to see those bands in 2020. I would pay to see Anthem, though.

They'll be playing their greatest hits for sure...is that kind of a Festival, he he

Also we're in 2021! I'm just excited to be able to go to any kind of concert after sooo many months. I think my last one was precisely Amon Amarth around February 2020, which was a pretty good one thank god!

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017

I'm listening to that debut album and it seems pretty great, most of the time. Interesting that I'm listening to heavy metal in 2021 at all. Thanks, I guess, lol.

wackotic

Aug 14, 2018

If you like Amon Amarth, i would check out Insomnium (and Belzebubs if you like Insomnium) who fall in the melodic death metal genre.
For something similar to Nightwish and Blind Guardian, Unleash the archers would definitely be worth checking out.

Edit: Interesting find looking at that poster. Insomnium playing on 1.7, Belzebubs 2.7. Meanwhile in Finland, Tuska festival has them both playing on 2.7. That is some logistical wizardry in play to make it from Barcelona to Helsinki.

Last edited:

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
If you like Amon Amarth, i would check out Insomnium (and Belzebubs if you like Insomnium) who fall in the melodic death metal genre.
For something similar to Nightwish and Blind Guardian, Unleash the archers would definitely be worth checking out.

Edit: Interesting find looking at that poster. Insomnium playing on 1.7, Belzebubs 2.7. Meanwhile in Finland, Tuska festival has them both playing on 2.7. That is some logistical wizardry in play to make it from Barcelona to Helsinki.

Knowing who is the organizer of the Barcelona Festival I'm not surprised at all lol

I definitely veer towards the melodic so I'll check them out for sure. Also what a fantastic name Unleash the Archers is

Streetcleaner

Dec 1, 2017

Just discovering some Resurrection - Embalmed Existence. Pretty much a 90's death metal clone of early Malevolent Creation and Solstice (ex members of Malevolent Creation). The production is exactly the same even haha. The spoken word intros before every song is a bit much, but part of the charm.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Having recently discovered Alestorm I'd say that'd be worth checking out if you like the Murphy's.

It's basically "Pirate Metal". So good.

Oct 27, 2017

Just discovering some Resurrection - Embalmed Existence. Pretty much a 90's death metal clone of early Malevolent Creation and Solstice (ex members of Malevolent Creation). The production is exactly the same even haha. The spoken word intros before every song is a bit much, but part of the charm.

I ALWAYS forget the band name and find myself going up to people asking, "Hey what's that death metal album with the weird British spoken word intros???"

It's a fine album but those intros are the only real stand-out thing. I even made a post in this very thread about it at some point.

Streetcleaner

Dec 1, 2017

Enforcer just linked this album on their Facebook and it rips!

Funny, I've been listening to Enforcer and Tokyo Blade as I type this. The live video & album concert Enforcer just released rules. Will listen to Spitfire now!

The whole damn Enforcer - Live By Fire II concert is up on YouTube!

I've been listening to a ton of Forbidden over this past month and you should too.

That Forbidden live segment on Ultimate Revenge 2 was the highlight. First album rips and that intro riff on Through Eyes of Glass 🤤. Paul Bostaph's drumming was really underrated on that album. Somehow the 2nd album really fucking sucked.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I think Forbidden Evil is a better album than Twisted Into Form because I prefer the more raw production, but Twisted is still great.

Anyway I've been listening to this classic on repeat today:

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
I think Forbidden Evil is a better album than Twisted Into Form because I prefer the more raw production, but Twisted is still great.

Anyway I've been listening to this classic on repeat today:

I would not rank Fobidden Evil as a top 15 bay area thrash albums, Twisted into Form would be in my top 5. Think very few have matched it as a technical thrash masterpiece

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
I liked them better when they were Distillator, honestly. Standard tech thrash

My friends from Ireland, Acid Age just released a hybrid thrash album that has some of the best prog/jazzy thrash in the past few years

Last edited:

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Been listening to old Anthrax and boy they are good. Also since I am learning bass guitar right now I appreciate Frank Bello's play even more. That beginning of cought in the mosh just slaps.

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
Austrailia has had such a strong thrash scene the past decade, love what is coming out so far this year.

Guts Of Thor

Oct 25, 2017
Funny, I've been listening to Enforcer and Tokyo Blade as I type this. The live video & album concert Enforcer just released rules. Will listen to Spitfire now!

I'm not much into live albums but I may have to check it out.

New Aara album was released today. I've been looking forward to this since January.

Oct 27, 2017
That Cryptosis album is something I'd usually avoid based on the logo and album art, but it's pretty good!

Reminded me of Crypticus (in name only):

Shane

Oct 25, 2017

Thanks for highlighting both of this! Briefly checked out that Spitfire album, and liked what I initially heard.

I'm not much for live albums in general (unless it's old recorded material played in a new setting), but will definitely watch the live album in video form. Enforcer put on a great live show.

I'm really enjoying this techy power prog album (edit: holy shit it's really awesome)... New release from Immortal Guardian.

immortalguardian.bandcamp.com

Psychosomatic, by Immortal Guardian

10 track album

Last edited:

Firmament1

Aug 15, 2019
Oi Bitanator, have you heard that Dave Carlo's made a new YouTube channel for updates on his life and the new album, Cycle of Contempt? I know you're a huge Razor fan, so I figured that you either would, or should know about it.

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
Oi Bitanator, have you heard that Dave Carlo's made a new YouTube channel for updates on his life and the new album, Cycle of Contempt? I know you're a huge Razor fan, so I figured that you either would, or should know about it.

I somehow missed this on my facebook feed. Will always remember getting to watch them live a few years ago, so I am nothing but patient about any new release from them.

E_i

Oct 27, 2017
Bodom After Midnight single "Paint the Sky With Blood"

What could have been. *sigh* * *cries*

Luminaire

Oct 25, 2017
Bodom After Midnight single "Paint the Sky With Blood"

What could have been. *sigh* * *cries*

It sounds so good. You can really hear the Hatecrew/AYDY influences in there along with some Naildown touches. I've always wanted Bodom without keyboard solos. Shame this is all we'll get once the next songs have dropped.

Oct 27, 2017
I bought my first metal paraphernalia (physical CD, record, shirt, anything) in around 10 years (I moved to Japan and refuse to pay the prices here) due to The Crypt having a free international shipping deal going last week. I may never financially recover from this.

If anyone's interested in underappreciated death/thrash/black? (I guess they have Gehenna stuff) metal I highly recommend using The Crypt's catalogue as a starting point.

Edit: I tell a lie, I forgot I ordered the Amazon print-to-order collection of Death Vomit zine last year. Check your local Amazon for better shipping prices if not in the US.

Last edited:

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
I bought my first metal paraphernalia (physical CD, record, shirt, anything) in around 10 years (I moved to Japan and refuse to pay the prices here) due to The Crypt having a free international shipping deal going last week. I may never financially recover from this.

If anyone's interested in underappreciated death/thrash/black? (I guess they have Gehenna stuff) metal I highly recommend using The Crypt's catalogue as a starting point.

Thnx for link, I buy like 3 metal tshirts a week