• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 2, 2021
Grown men shouldn't be wasting their lives playing video games.
The only adults who still use the word "playtime" aren't the types to be found on the tube. They're busy riding around outside on e-scooters.

Travelling on the tube can be a patronising business at the best of times, with all those reminders about minding the gap and, in Covid times, wearing a mask and "leaving a safe space" (as if that's somehow possible during rush hour). Do passengers really need to be reminded to "carry a bottle of water when it's hot"?

Yet it seems even the underground's advertisers are intent on infantilising their customers. A Nintendo advert has been plastered across the network for some time featuring grown men and women playing the "Switch" device that is a favourite with my eight-year-old daughter.

Hashtagged #SetPlaytimeFree, it appears to make the false assumption that most commuters like to while away their spare hours playing Mario Kart, Minecraft and Pokemon. Doesn't Nintendo realise that the only adults who still use the word "playtime" post puberty aren't the types to be found on the tube? They are the overgrown school children riding around outside on e-scooters.

More here - Article link

Mar 11, 2021
I don't agree with such a broad brush or kind of silly articles like this, but...

Reading a book or learning a skill are more productive uses of time than gaming, full stop

RPGamer92

Oct 25, 2017
Yes posting toxic shit on social media and watching Netflix is a much better use of time.

Zones

Oct 28, 2017
Absolutely, they should rather waste it on stuff like watching sports on TV...

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
I don't agree with such a broad brush or kind of silly articles like this, but...

Reading a book or learning a skill are more productive uses of time than gaming, full stop
I mean, you can have a measuring contest on what's more productive than what all day, it's just that it's a waste of time to do it.

Learning a skill is more "productive" than going to a museum. Therefore fuck museums, burn them to the ground.

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Oh yeah? Well you suck and your company is flailing at adapting to a digital news world! Hah take that!

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
What the heck is a Tube? Is he talking about a CRT TV?

Oct 26, 2017
Unfotunately, as a grown man I don't have enough time to waste it on both video games and reading innane Telegraph articles. Shame.

Deleted member 3082

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C.S. Lewis

"Eat a dick, Telegraph."
Retro

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
How exactly are you wasting your life if you are doing the things you love? Lol.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
People sure love to waste time judge what others choose to do with themselves when it has no bearing on them whatsoever.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
Sometimes the Telegraph puts out one of these articles just to remind everyone that the average age of its readers is 61.

dennett316

Nov 2, 2017
Blackpool, UK

How is reading a book more productive than playing a game? It's passing the time with entertainment, same as gaming. "You can learn by reading", you can learn by playing games too. There's junk food books just the same as there's junk food games. Hobbies are never unproductive, they make people happy in an increasingly crappy world, and that's important as fuck.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
cover3.jpg

I mean, some people watch other people kick balls between posts while eating pizza and getting inebriated on cheap alcohol. It's their life, not mine. Let them be.

Madao

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
this was written by someone that probably wastes their time watching TV all day when they got free time or checking facebook.

Kurtikeya

One Winged Slayer
Dec 2, 2017
Does the piece with "if Andy Murray can compete with a metal hip..."? I feel like I'm missing something, as ending there makes for a very incomplete thought. I was curious about what sparked such an aggressive statement but it seems to fall into the boring trap of "sports good, games bad".

dennett316

Nov 2, 2017
Blackpool, UK
Yeah, go be manly and piss all your money up against a wall in a dreary little pub, puke in the street and get in a fist fight over a greasy kebab at 3AM....that's WAY better than playing games and not bothering anyone else or killing your braincells with booze and headbutting the pavement for a laugh.

May 25, 2019
London
What's funny is that the Switch is owned by even the most career-oriented of my friends, because it fits so nicely into their work/life balance. They can play on the commute, the airplane when traveling for work, in a hotel room, or on the couch at home when watching their kids. It's an odd target as opposed to something like Call of Duty or Fortnite

Mar 11, 2021
I mean, you can have a measuring contest on what's more productive than what all day, it's just that it's a waste of time to do it.

Learning a skill is more "productive" than going to a museum. Therefore fuck museums, burn them to the ground.
Just because I don't consider one thing as productive as another does not mean I would suggest to get rid of them. That's not what I said at all

It's okay for some things to be more productive than others

Just depends on one's goals and life

Note: I read AND play video games myself

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
trash article but a lot of automatic shitting on sports as a response to it shitting on games, how very cliche of some of you guys.

you can be a nerd and still enjoy sports you know :p

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
"The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" etc. etc. Who gives a shit about productivity, just do what makes you happy during the time you don't have to dedicate to laboring for survival in your short as hell life. Not a hard concept.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
Doing something like chasing a ball around a field seems like a waste of time to me too. Maybe I'm too far gone.

Tathanen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I mean

I'm not gonna pretend I'm not wasting my life with all this shit so

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
joh3br3qic511.png

What other grown men are doing, really it's one hobby at home for guys, sports/tv or games. I am not sure what this author wants or why she time travelled to 1996 to claim video games are just for kids.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017

If I gave a shit about doing the most productive thing with my time I wouldn't go on a gaming forum either. Only thing I care about on my way to somewhere is passing the time, games are real good at that.

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
Just because I don't consider one thing as productive as another does not mean I would suggest to get rid of them. That's not what I said at all

It's okay for some things to be more productive than others

Just depends on one's goals and life
I know what you meant, I'm just saying to compare the "productivity" of things is a waste of time - it serves no purpose but to needlessly denigrate a thing and drag down those who partake in it, typically for no discernible reason.

It'd be one thing if the article was like "gaming is not productive and that's cool because it's entertainment," but obviously no one's ever going to make that point, y'know?

Status
Not open for further replies.