• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
www.goodhousekeeping.com

Peloton Instructor Salaries Are Probably Not What You Think

In case you've ever wondered how much Cody Rigsby or Ally Love might be making ...

One instructor last year received a six-figure salary and bonus offer. More-senior instructors make upwards of $500,000 in total compensation, say people familiar with the company — not counting the money they can make from external sponsorships. [Peloton founder John Foley], a big believer in shared ownership, has also handed equity awards to people throughout the company's ranks. Regulatory filings show current and former employees as of Sept. 30, 2020, held stock options with several billion dollars of unrealized gains.
This is why their stuff costs so much.

makonero

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, this is why you buy into Peloton. Not for the equipment, but the people. So it makes sense.

Deleted member 4461

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean... awesome that the founder believes in shared ownership and passes out equity like candy... those are still staggering salaries. I'm not mad though, unless others in the organization are being paid much less.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
Makes sense, no one is paying that fee to get in a class with some boring ugly dude for an hour every day. I already get that at my gym.

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
They're basically streamers. And many streamers are millionaires. Get that cash.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Makes me jealous haha but seriously good to see that for once it isn't only the CEO making the big bucks.

Oct 25, 2017
When I saw the title I thought it was going to be about how under paid they were, but good to see they are making money.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, word. That's exactly what I meant, and no one here shits on them for how much their stuff costs whenever there's a thread about them.

I don't think anyone really cares? They set price the market clearly will bear, and people are free to buy into it if they want, knowing the price.

It's expensive and it's a luxury, but it is what it is?

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
From my understanding, Peloton treats its employees really well.

Deleted member 4461

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Doling out equity...that's pretty nice.

That's exactly the sort of thing I wish more companies would do, but it's reserved for people in the tech/startup space. More established companies would never want to give up power like that.

Two (or more) different Americas. And it sucks so much.

But I am happy that Peloton employees are among the "chosen" at least.

ThatMeanScene

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I subscribe to a competing service - iFit - and this has me wondering how much they make. I already figured trainers for any of these services have to be making $70K+.

broncobuster

Oct 26, 2017
From what I understand, they have to be trainers, actors, and streamers. And peloton as a concept is meant to be an equinox type of deal. Makes sense.

What I'm curious about is if all the alternatives popping up are competitive to that end. If there was any attempt to persuade trainers to switch services, and if anyone would follow. It's an interesting dynamic.

I saw a video the other week about some resistance weight lifting device you mount to the wall. The whole front was a screen with adjustable arms depending on the movement. The hardware was pricey as is and had a subscription to use the full functionality. And when they demoed what it's like without the subscription, it really loses most of its utility.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
The machines are the razors and the content is the razor blades, so it's good to see Peloton understands how important it is to keep the talent making that content happy.

Oct 25, 2017
From what I understand, they have to be trainers, actors, and streamers. And peloton as a concept is meant to be an equinox type of deal. Makes sense.

What I'm curious about is if all the alternatives popping up are competitive to that end. If there was any attempt to persuade trainers to switch services, and if anyone would follow. It's an interesting dynamic.

I saw a video the other week about some resistance weight lifting device you mount to the wall. The whole front was a screen with adjustable arms depending on the movement. The hardware was pricey as is and had a subscription to use the full functionality. And when they demoed what it's like without the subscription, it really loses most of its utility.
Is that the mirror thing? That looks cool AF

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, not surprised. They tend to flex on IG about new homes and such lol.

I have no problems. Get that paper.

Davidion

Charitable King
Oct 27, 2017
Threads that sound really ominous but turns out to be surprisingly decent

broncobuster

Oct 26, 2017
Is that the mirror thing? That looks cool AF

This seems to be the one I saw the video of,

merlin_143321382_e5c6d194-7c4e-4ca4-af0a-9dfbc53c3606-superJumbo.jpg

But looking for it, there are quite a few with that concept. Including the Mirror one, something called tempo, another called the vault.

OP
OP
Septimus Prime

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
There's at least one user here with a Tonal. He seems to like it a lot, and I kind of want one but don't really have space for it.

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
Not surprised. It's not an easy job, they have to create classes and teach them, which requires them to be in incredible shape and full of energy/charisma every single day. Ally Love and Alex Toussaint are my favorites.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad they make a nice cut of the profits. Is this supposed to outrage us? People seem okay with 'influencers' making millions

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Legit shocked, came in here expecting the low end to be "Exposure"

nded

Nov 14, 2017
I'm not going to complain about a company paying their talent well.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
I'm glad they make a nice cut of the profits. Is this supposed to outrage us? People seem okay with 'influencers' making millions

Yup. Take this into a different context and we can say the same thing ("They get paid how much to play Valorent?" "They get paid how much to review tech?")

The talent is a huge amount of the draw, in the last WWDC Apple made a specific point to highlight some of the trainers they poached for Apple Fitness which shows it's importance since WWDC is aimed at developers/industry folks. Even Apple understands that in it's product aimed to complete with Peleton, it's the talent that matters more than the tech.

Without the talent you might as well buy a tablet and tape it on a Walmart exercise bike.

Tater

Oct 30, 2017
Great news. When you see how hard people like Alex Touissant work, I'm glad they're bringing in good money. Not only do they have to be in excellent shape, but they've also got to function as media personalities on top of that. They're literally the faces of Peloton, so they should share in its success.

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
Their instructors are top notch and it shows. With more competition, the instructors are the selling point for sure.

And here's a cool twitch stream that Cody Rigsby was on with IAmBrandon. They talk about PRIDE, how gaming helped them when they were younger and tons of other great convos.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
I hate the concept of Peleton and even when I see the commercials I'm annoyed by it. But good for them. I was expecting to read that they are overworked and underpaid.

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
That sounds great.

The problem.with them is that their hardware kills or mains children.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They're personalities, at the end of the day. You've got to pay that sort of salary to retain them, because otherwise they'd go to something like BBOD or even go it alone on their own channel.