• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
zasgun-936x527.jpg

Article

Warner Bros. cooked its HBO Max subscriber numbers by as many as 10 million and misled shareholders in other ways that violate the Securities Act to complete its merger with Discovery, according to a class-action lawsuit that claims it could potentially represent "hundreds of thousands" of plaintiffs.

The lawsuit was filed last Friday in New York on behalf of the Collinsville Police Pension Board, an Illinois-based shareholder of Warner Bros. Discovery stock, which it accepted in trade for its pre-merger Class C common Discovery shares. At the time of the merger, Discovery shares were valued at $24.78; as of Tuesday, WBD shares were trading just above $11. The lawsuit names Warner Bros. Discovery, CEO David Zaslav, and CFO Gunnar Wiedenfels as defendants. WBD did not immediately respond to a request for comment. The lawsuit says that, among several other "adverse information" being kept hidden, the merging companies overstated the subscriber base for HBO Max:

"WarnerMedia was improvidently concentrating its investments in streaming and ignoring its other business lines … [and] overstated the number of subscribers to HBO Max by as many as 10 million subscribers, by including as subscribers AT&T customers who had received bundled access to HBO Max, but had not signed onto the service."

More than 700 million shares of WBD were issued to Discovery common and preferred shareholders pursuant to the merger, the lawsuit states, meaning "hundreds of thousands" of people could potentially join the federal securities class-action filed in a New York federal district court.

The lawsuit says "the Registration Statement and Prospectus and certain of the Defendants' other public statements, contained untrue statements of material fact or omitted to state material facts required to be stated therein or necessary to make the statements therein not misleading."

It also said "AT&T was overinvesting in WarnerMedia entertainment content for streaming, without sufficient concern for return on investments … WarnerMedia had a business model to grow the number of subscribers to its streaming service without regard to cost or profitability."

The plaintiff, a pension fund to benefit current and former police officers in Collinsville, Illinois, suggests that anyone who purchased WBD on the open market post-merger is qualified to join the lawsuit. It's seeking a jury trial for monetary damages, alleging three separate Securities and Exchange Commission violations.

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The bad news for WB never ends…but this time it was self-inflicted by them before Zaslav.
edit; got it

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
So wait. Was WB doing this BEFORE the merger or is WBD doing it now after the merger?

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
So wait. Was WB doing this BEFORE the merger or is WBD doing it now after the merger?

It's literally the first thing in the OP lol

Warner Bros. cooked its HBO Max subscriber numbers by as many as 10 million and misled shareholders in other ways that violate the Securities Act to complete its merger with Discovery, according to a class-action lawsuit that claims it could potentially represent "hundreds of thousands" of plaintiffs

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
This seems likely to fail. It was known that ATT had a bundle deal with hbo max and those were included in the numbers. It's the same with comcast and peacock. This seems more like this pension fund doesn't like that it lost half its valuez

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
Zaslav slashed and burn so much good will for $3 billion, causing them to lose so much more in the process.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Are they...trying to crash and burn it all? I swear its bad news after bad news event, week after week.

Disney: Shit, I just gotta sit here and watch the competition eat itself. Life is good.

Auros01

Avenger
Nov 17, 2017
So, the lawsuit is just seeking monetary damages? What would the best case here be based on other similar cases? Is this just going to end up being a slap on the wrist for WBD?

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
So those numbers are going to come way down once AT&T stops giving free subscriptions, right (since they are no longer owned by the same company)?

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This seems likely to fail. It was known that ATT had a bundle deal with hbo max and those were included in the numbers. It's the same with comcast and peacock. This seems more like this pension fund doesn't like that it lost half its valuez
Bundles are so common as well. I get Disney+ because of Verizon. I'm sure D+ is still counting me as a subscriber, howerver.

Oct 30, 2017
I mean, I have a hard time of them not knowing subscribers also included ATT bundled services.

And this...

"AT&T was overinvesting in WarnerMedia entertainment content for streaming, without sufficient concern for return on investments … WarnerMedia had a business model to grow the number of subscribers to its streaming service without regard to cost or profitability."

...is like every other company investing into a big streaming platform.

medinaria

Oct 30, 2017

this is literally exactly what it is, they're trying to find a way to wiggle out of the losses they took on the stock by alleging they were "misled". bundling is very common, counting those people as subscriptions is normal, basically everything alleged here seems totally anodyne

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
the text is not clear, it talks about WarnerMedia which was the entity that was a thing before WBD, for all we know this could be WBD inheriting the mess that AT&T created.

The text is clear. They are just using the current name of the company in the headline. Any kind of lawsuit would still be brought against WarnerBros Discovery because that's what the company is now.

mugurumakensei

Oct 25, 2017
Bundles are so common as well. I get Disney+ because of Verizon. I'm sure D+ is still counting me as a subscriber, howerver.
And from an ATT quarterly report
[SUP]6 [/SUP]Global HBO Max and HBO subscribers consist of domestic and international HBO Max and HBO subscribers, and exclude free trials, basic and Cinemax subscribers.

[SUP]7 [/SUP]Domestic HBO Max and HBO subscribers consist of U.S. accounts with access to HBO Max (including wholesale subscribers and subscribers receiving access through bundled services with affiliates that may not have signed in) and HBO accounts, and exclude free trials and Cinemax subscribers.
about.att.com

AT&T Reports First-Quarter Results

AT&T’s first-quarter earnings conference call will be webcast at 8:30 a.m. ET. Visit AT&T's investor relations website to view earnings-related materials.

I don't see how this doesn't get immediately tossed out during discovery phase alone.

Edit: Bolded the part that shows this was known information from quarterly results.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
So, the lawsuit is just seeking monetary damages? What would the best case here be based on other similar cases? Is this just going to end up being a slap on the wrist for WBD?

Shareholder suits tend to either get thrown out early in process or settle. That's the bulk of all filings. Only about 5-7 percent actually go to trial.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
The text is clear. They are just using the current name of the company in the headline. Any kind of lawsuit would still be brought against WarnerBros Discovery because that's what the company is now.

sure, but Planet asked a valid question, the article itself mentions WarnerMedia and WBD. It just seemed confusing at first.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Also, they're saying that this includes people who got HBO Max for free... and never even bothered to login. That may not be illegal based on how they did the earnings but if the numbers are that high, that's not good for them because you aren't converting those to paid subscribers ever. They can't even be bothered to watch for free.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
So... Just to be clear. This is AT&T's fault? Not Zsalav's?

It would depend on who knew what and who did what in the merger. Zsalav is named as one of the defendants

sure, but Planet asked a valid question, the article itself mentions WarnerMedia and WBD. It just seemed confusing at first.

Well, any confusion would have been clear by reading the first paragraph, which is why I pointed it out. That clearly states this was done to "complete the merger." Can't be done to complete a merger if the merger is already done lol.

Aiqops

Aug 3, 2021
So them possibly losing a ton of more money means even more projects getting deleted cause of tax cuts etc?

mugurumakensei

Oct 25, 2017
Also, they're saying that this includes people who got HBO Max for free... and never even bothered to login. That may not be illegal based on how they did the earnings but if the numbers are that high, that's not good for them because you aren't converting those to paid subscribers ever. They can't even be bothered to watch for free.

And from an ATT quarterly report

about.att.com

AT&T Reports First-Quarter Results

AT&T’s first-quarter earnings conference call will be webcast at 8:30 a.m. ET. Visit AT&T's investor relations website to view earnings-related materials.

I don't see how this doesn't get immediately tossed out during discovery phase alone.

Edit: Bolded the part that shows this was known information from quarterly results.

[SUP]6 [/SUP]Global HBO Max and HBO subscribers consist of domestic and international HBO Max and HBO subscribers, and exclude free trials, basic and Cinemax subscribers.

[SUP]7 [/SUP]Domestic HBO Max and HBO subscribers consist of U.S. accounts with access to HBO Max (including wholesale subscribers and subscribers receiving access through bundled services with affiliates that may not have signed in) and HBO accounts, and exclude free trials and Cinemax subscribers.

Yes this is known information. The shareholders cannot claim they were unaware.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
Zaslav almost walked away from the deal because AT&T was playing fast and loose, it was reported.

mugurumakensei

Oct 25, 2017
It would depend on who knew what and who did what in the merger. Zsalav is named as one of the defendants
Well if he didn't read ATT's quarterly reports, I guess they could have a lawsuit against the board for not doing due diligence. However, this information wasn't hidden at the time of shareholder voting.

mugurumakensei

Oct 25, 2017
Did lawyers fuck up?Aren't they supposed to find these discrepancies?
What discrepancies? All of the things called out in the lawsuit are in ATT's financial disclosures.

Unless you meant the shareholders lawyers and failure to request more data?