• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
ElectricBlanketFire

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
Oct 25, 2017
Damn is Panchero's a proper chain now? I used to eat at the one in Iowa City at university.
Not sure it's fully nationwide yet, but it is growing. I still long for the OG Pancheros in IC with the 2lb El Gordo burrito that was as big as your head and remember the first time I had one after they switched to mission-style burritos.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think I've ever spent $90 on any bottle of any kind of alcohol, let alone a bottle of wine that you would finish in an hour. I don't drink anymore but that just seems so excessive unless you're a multimillionaire.

DarkJ

Nov 11, 2017
If you go to chipotle and get all the extra stuff you might be getting a $12 burrito. But all the other things don't seem realistic

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
wtf burrito in America is $12? King Taco has the best burritos I've ever had and they're only like $6

Desi

Oct 30, 2017
I don't think I've ever spent $90 on any bottle of any kind of alcohol, let alone a bottle of wine that you would finish in an hour. I don't drink anymore but that just seems so excessive unless you're a multimillionaire.
i totally spent like $90+ for a bottle of Hibiki Harmony a few months ago and I will again!!

CorpseLight

Nov 3, 2018
The media has been laying groundwork to make people say "See?! This is what happens when people want $15 an hour for a service job!!" When in reality, maybe businesses just don't need to make YOY profits.

Lys Skygge

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
I have no problem spending $12 on a good burrito (it's gotta be real good though). But $90 wine is crazy. I've tried everything from $5 - $500 wine and it all tastes similar. Sure there are bad and good wines, but good wines can be found at any price point.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Id need double meat and multiple meats in that burrito to make it even approach $12. And honestly, if its anything like the burritos I get, im pretty much am going to be full for the entire day and $12 for a whole day ain't bad.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Went to this food truck that came by my work and got a burrito for $15. It was pretty good, but definitely not worth that insanity.

orlock

Oct 28, 2017
i wanted to treat myself to a spicy chicken sammie from this local place i really like, but the sandwich and fries delivered came to like $25 so i canceled it and ate my partner's leftover rice and chicken soup when i got home.

most ill spend on a bottle of wine is maybe $50ish for a special occasion. usually its $10-20.

hyouko

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like they're using mean when they should use median. An average that includes outliers is a poor measure of what's "typical" in many cases. I remember having to explain this a decade ago when I worked at Vistaprint: while the average quantity on postcards might be 500, it was mostly a bunch of people buying 100 postcards and a few people buying 5,000 postcards. 500 was actually a really rare choice.

(Also, my parents have chimed in to note that wine prices are higher in restaurants, though even there $90 is a lot)

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
$12 for a burrito seems totally normal though. That's about what they cost at my local mom and pop Mexican place and that's in a small suburban/rural town

Urishizu

Dead Drop Studios Founder
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
If I'm spending $90 on a bottle of something, it's decently good whiskey. Wine? Average? Wtf.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
Imagine spending over $15 for a bottle of wine.

can get a 1.5 litre bottle for that price and get absolutely trashed

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
These are prices in the Bay Area lmao.
Yeah, since when were prices in the Bay area considered "average"?
Chiptole here in SoCal is at least $1.5-$2 cheaper than that pricing. And it's not exactly cheap down here either.

The wine? Maybe for a nice bottle at a white tablecloth restaurant or something. But otherwise lol.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
whats this, like 60 cents?

thats all i need

Autumn

Avenger
Apr 1, 2018
Why do people think inflation is funny?
Because most of the poster here are doing ok financially, live at home, and don't have to support a family. Anyone who goes to the supermarket weekly knows prices have gone up. Prices haven't gone crazy but some stuff like vegetables for example have doubled in price. It adds up if you have a budget.

Oct 27, 2017
Because most of the poster here are doing ok financially, live at home, and don't have to support a family. Anyone who goes to the supermarket weekly knows prices have gone up. Prices haven't gone crazy but some stuff like vegetables for example have doubled in price. It adds up if you have a budget.
Vegetables haven't gone up where I'm at. Just regular seasonal changes.

May 31, 2021
A lot of inverted snobbery and inconsiderate sneering in this thread.

Try and puts yourselves in the shoes of a oenophile, who is now unable to enjoy wine below 90$. That's a lot of money even if you really really like wine.

It also will have knock on effects on the wider economy especially the shadow economy. Can you still afford a bag of gear after you have had to spunk 90$ on your breakfast bottle? Horrific wine inflation will put kids out of work, so we should all be concerned.

Won't some think of the bacchanalians?

Jaymes

Sep 18, 2021
The term average is being misused here, when really they just had a small sample size that doesn't reflect the general population. I'm a UK citizen and most people spend less then a tenner for a bottle of alcohol unless it's a special occasion and something like Gordon's gin, Jack Daniels, etc. You only have to look at what people buy in store to see the cheap stuff sells the most. Most corner shops won't even stock the pricey stuff and would rather stock the shelves with teenager cheap White Lightning instead.

Concert tickets going for north of a hundred per person only seems to apply to the biggest names and being fussy with seating. Isn't £30 more like the rates charged to see Ed Sheeran and Adele, maybe Slipknot? £100/$100 would be balcony views and stuff surely? Smaller artists tend to be less then £20 with travel and food costing more then the concert ticket. I haven't checked prices in ages though, but I'm aware skalpers whack them up to over double what they initially paid. £100/$100 seems like the price for a two day festival.

Jaymes

Sep 18, 2021
Actually just checked. You guys seem to get fleeced based on which city you live in or near: https://seatgeek.com/slipknot-tickets

That price range of $30 to $105 based purely on location indicates the pricier venues are charging the extortionate rates and not the bands themselves. Maybe it's a city tax thing. I don't understand how America works besides greed.

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
"Average American" pays $5 for gas when the nationwide average isn't even close to that number.

OK.

i had a friend that would gas up by my house and complain how expensive it was and i would always tell him it was a whole $2 cheaper 2 minutes down the road and he would just shrug and continue complaining about gas prices.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
whats this, like 60 cents?

thats all i need
Ironically this is one of the things that has seem to go up in my area. They used to be consistently .40 but now they are .60 like you said.

Thankfully I don't have a family of Bears and don't need 10,000 a month so not looking for a second job quite yet. But if CNN wants to write a story about it, I'll lie and say I do. PM me. I'm just an average American here (with bears).

Jaymes

Sep 18, 2021
Holy Shit concerts are expensive. Tool at the O2 are £69 - £167. So the concert ticket thing is right, but the wine is still wrong. Also aren't cheap and local gigs more common then the big name concerts based on multiple venues in each town versus concerts just being in spacious enough towns. Most pubs with live music can host bands that pull under a hundred people and the larger ones a few hundred at most. After that you're looking at bands who grace the pages of Kerrang! filling up 2,000 seater venues, which is probably where I got my idea of twenty to thirty for a ticket from.

Jaymes

Sep 18, 2021
I guess it makes sense with inflation that Alestorm are £35 and Tool are £69. My tinnitus puts me off going though. Interestingly an LOL performance at the same place as Tool is only £20, so I do wonder how much the price is determined by the band fees. Although lower prices are kind of essential to convince parents to take their kids to see LOL dolls live in person, where as Tool have a strong following regardless of industry trends, so Ticket Master can charge a higher fee for those tickets and get away with it.

Johnzyboi

Nov 10, 2018
I'm sorry if your paying 12$ for a burrito that doesn't come from a Southern California Mexican Restaurant.

Tapiozona

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
The 12 dollar burrito mentioned in the OP isnt really driven by inflation, it's driven by people simply accepting that price for the burrito. If the guy stopped buying it as well as others, the price would come back down or something cheaper will replace it when the business fails.

i had a friend that would gas up by my house and complain how expensive it was and i would always tell him it was a whole $2 cheaper 2 minutes down the road and he would just shrug and continue complaining about gas prices.

Sorry to doubt you but there's 0 chance that there's a 2 dollar a gallon difference in gas prices, 2 minutes apart. Of all products, fuel, above all else is the most driven by competition and supply and demand. That large of a price parity doesn't work with gasoline. Hell, even 2 hours apart is near impossible.

Beef Supreme

Oct 25, 2017
That's why you buy your burritos from a truck. Not only are they cheaper, but they, more often than not, taste a lot better.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
Even assuming this bullshit was true, I just love how the minimum wage of 7.25 isn't seen as an issue at all.

atomsk

Oct 28, 2017
Ticketmaster has been on some bullshit my entire adult life.

They literally lost a class action lawsuit because of overcharging.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
The 12 dollar burrito mentioned in the OP isnt really driven by inflation, it's driven by people simply accepting that price for the burrito. If the guy stopped buying it as well as others, the price would come back down or something cheaper will replace it when the business fails.

Sorry to doubt you but there's 0 chance that there's a 2 dollar a gallon difference in gas prices, 2 minutes apart. Of all products, fuel, above all else is the most driven by competition and supply and demand. That large of a price parity doesn't work with gasoline. Hell, even 2 hours apart is near impossible.
It also could be driven by the fact that they can't get any workers due to a combination of the pandemic and people figuring out they no longer have to work for pennies. Sucks your burrito went up a couple of bucks my guy, but at least people are making enough money to actually get by.

Though more likely the story is bullshit anyway. That's almost a 60% increase. They either used to have a lunch special or something and no longer do or they are now charging extra for something perhaps he used to get for free like chips and salsa our guac and sour cream. I call BS.

Last edited:

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Who the fuck spends $12 on a Burrito? Go to Taco Bell.

Where do you live? Being in NY I'll spend $15 on a shrimp burrito but it's authentic, gigantic and fucking delicious, worth every penny. If you don't have much beyond chain places where you live then I understand it seeming ridiculous but I'll get dinner for 2 with an Appetizer takeout from our local mom and pop Mexican place and it'll come to like $45 easily