• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah heard about the 42 inch OLED and next year, but think i want to buy a new monitor this year.

May i ask how you have mounted your 48"? , do you use the default table stand or a monitor arm?
And also what kind of distance are you sitting from the 48"?
I have it on a desk using the included stand, where it is about 25cm out from the wall.
The stand could be pushed in a bit closer, if it were not for some cables I have routed through a desk grommet behind it, which were used with my old monitor:
desk-grommet-7hjat.jpg

My viewing distance is anywhere from 50–140cm depending on whether I am sitting up and leaning in, or sitting back and reclining. I'd say it's typically ~90cm.
I have my keyboard and mouse on an arm that can be pulled out from the desk. This is my setup from a decade ago when I had a 46" screen mounted to the wall, which shows that:
lbtQrN4.jpg

The arm can be pulled a little over 35m out from the desk itself.

I do not plan to mount the 48C1 to the wall for a few reasons:
  1. I intend to buy a height-adjustable desk soon.
  2. I like that the TV is so low to the desk right now.
  3. I think I'd actually want a bigger screen if it was pushed back another ~20cm.
I originally intended to mount the TV to an arm once I got a new desk (this Ikea one cannot take the weight) so that it could be pushed back or angled, but after using it like this for a month or so I may just keep it on the stand it came with.
This is a good video detailing its use as a monitor - though the setup is a little different from mine, and I don't agree with every point.

With my keyboard and mouse on an arm, I am sitting about 20cm further back than his setup - so I don't have a problem with the size of full-screen windows or games.

shinbojan

Oct 27, 2017
I am getting major flickering in 4k/120.
Is it hdmi cable (cheap 8k one) or should I be worried (c1 + 3070)?

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
I am getting major flickering in 4k/120.
Is it hdmi cable (cheap 8k one) or should I be worried (c1 + 3070)?
It's probably a bad cable.
I had a very expensive fiber cable fail completely with 4K120 gaming (C1 + 3060 Ti). HDMI tends to fail on black/darker scenes for some reason.
I ended up replacing it with a much shorter fiber cable, which has been working fine since then.
The thing with fiber is that it tends to have a high up-front cost, but not cost that much for additional length - so I bought a longer cable than I needed so I could repurpose it later if I change this setup around.

Whatever you buy, make sure it's a certified cable.
There are lots of recommendations for copper cables, but I don't know any off the top of my head.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Is it technically possible for a monitor to support 240hz at 1080p AND 120hz at 4k? I am asking because IIRC the refresh rate of CRTs back in the day changed with the resolution.
4K is 4X the bandwidth of 1080p so technically from internal electronics perspective if a monitor supports 120Hz in 4K it could support 480Hz in 1080p (and 240Hz in 1440p).
But such refreshes would be limited by panel capabilities and connection interfaces before they will be limited by what onboard electronics is capable of.

Me_Marcadet

Oct 25, 2017
You'll ignore me but do delivery unless you got a truck lol.

It fitted like a glove laying flat in the car. Thankfully, the TV is perfectly fine.
Coming from a 55C7, 65CX the 65CX is a huge upgrade, I can't believe how much they improved picture quality. The bigger size is also very nice, with 220cm of viewing distance, it's a real movie experience!
Now I have to setup all my cables and consoles, it's so much work, I just want to enjoy the nice picture quality 😂

VoxPop

Oct 30, 2017
Just moved and picked up a 65 C1 to replace my old TCL 55R615. It's beautiful. The only thing that bothered me was the horrible OS so I just picked up an Apple TV 4K as well.

Could anyone recommended a good affordable atmos soundbar?

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
My grandparents want a 65 inch Sony TV. Why Sony, idk. Maybe because they like my 65 x900e.

I suggested the x90j as that's what we're onto now, but she sent an ad she saw for the x85j for $999 which they probably want to save some money if they can.

They mostly watch broadcast tv (like Fox...) And sports, but will watch some stuff on Netflix.

I don't think they care much about HDR which is why I'm thinking the x90j may be overkill. It's in the living room which is fairly well lit most of the day, so the screen should be bright. No gaming.

I also saw the x950h at best buy and that is more expensive BUT has good viewing angles and gets very bright. Family is over often which is why maybe viewing angles and antiglare is good, but is worth $400..?

Anyway I'm wondering what the ideal option is for them. Had I not been back in grad school I'd offer my x900e to them and I pick up an OLED 🤣

LegendX48

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if this is the place to ask but, anywho: is bias lighting worthwhile?

Got an LG CX and wondering if it's worth trying.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure if this is the place to ask but, anywho: is bias lighting worthwhile?
Got an LG CX and wondering if it's worth trying.
It depends what you expect to get out of it.
I never found bias lighting to improve the perception of black level/contrast on LCD displays, and OLED doesn't need it.
I find ambilight/clones that sync up with the picture to be very distracting in actual use, despite how they may look on video.

But it can certainly make things more comfortable to watch in a dark room - especially HDR.
Though RGB is an option, I tend to stick with red, amber, yellow lighting behind the screen.
And if possible I prefer to have the lighting angled back/down, rather than an LED strip projecting light in all directions.

shinbojan

Oct 27, 2017
Today I've noticed that I get no audio if I am running my pc in 1440p/120. It only happens in that mode (for example it works in 100 and 119hz).
Not a major issue, but I would like to know if it is tv (lg c1) or Windows related.
It works correctly in 4k/120.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Today I've noticed that I get no audio if I am running my pc in 1440p/120. It only happens in that mode (for example it works in 100 and 119hz).
Not a major issue, but I would like to know if it is tv (lg c1) or Windows related.
It works correctly in 4k/120.
It seems to be working fine here - though I had to disable both the enhanced GPU scaling options in the 3D section of the NVIDIA Control Panel, and the old GPU scaling settings in the "adjust desktop size and position" section, before it would output a 1440p120 signal.

Any ideas what the C2 will bring to the table compared to the C1?
If I had to guess, Evo panels will be brought to the C series rather than exclusive to the G line, and may be extended to additional sizes. Maybe they'll support 48gbps HDMI 2.1 rather than 40gbps.
As always, slight improvements to near-black handling/gradation - particularly 120Hz Dolby Vision, which seems to have more banding than HDR10 right now.

But I'm not basing this on anything except previous year-on-year improvements. I have no information.
I don't think there's anything drastic announced so far - which means that Samsung's QD Display could be the one to get, if you can afford it (and want a 65" panel).
That being said: I expect the QD Display's panel to impress, but still have issues due to it being a Samsung product, like worse calibration options than LG.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Do OLED TVs put out less heat than Mini LED LCD TVs? I live in Las Vegas and the heat this summer has been awful and I basically have to keep my TCL 6 series's "TV Brightness" setting at dark to avoid it making my room too hot.

aspiring

Oct 25, 2017
Does anybody have any dramas with PS5 outputting multichannel LPCM? I am new to a soundbar and have a 7.1 system, but only my PS5 gives me grief. It seems that I get no sound from my rears until I disable and than re enable eARC. Than it's perfectly fine. No issue with Series X just the PS5. I was thinking it could be the HDMI cable, but It outputs Atmos in movies perfectly fine, and once I turn off/on eARC it works a treat.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
If anyone else has a LG G1, any ideas on if I should tinker with any of the gaming settings or calibrate it at all? Looks like with standard game optimizer mode and filmmaker mode, I don't really need to fiddle with much with this evo OLED panel.

Also Classicrock78 I use my OLEDs every day, for several hours, on any content I want, and I've never had issues with them.

LegendX48

Oct 25, 2017
It depends what you expect to get out of it.
I never found bias lighting to improve the perception of black level/contrast on LCD displays, and OLED doesn't need it.
I find ambilight/clones that sync up with the picture to be very distracting in actual use, despite how they may look on video.

But it can certainly make things more comfortable to watch in a dark room - especially HDR.
Though RGB is an option, I tend to stick with red, amber, yellow lighting behind the screen.
And if possible I prefer to have the lighting angled back/down, rather than an LED strip projecting light in all directions.

I have a C9 and I can say that it helps prevent the HDR highlights from causing me to squint, but it doesn't serve the enhanced contrast function like it would for an LCD.
thanks, y'all! Got the Medialight MK2 bias lighting strips on the way to test it out.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
If anyone else has a LG G1, any ideas on if I should tinker with any of the gaming settings or calibrate it at all? Looks like with standard game optimizer mode and filmmaker mode, I don't really need to fiddle with much with this evo OLED panel.
I'm not sure what the default settings are, but make sure you set the white balance to Warm 50.

Do OLED TVs put out less heat than Mini LED LCD TVs? I live in Las Vegas and the heat this summer has been awful and I basically have to keep my TCL 6 series's "TV Brightness" setting at dark to avoid it making my room too hot.
Generally, checking the power consumption should be a good indicator of how much heat they put out.
The problem is that this really needs to be measured under calibrated conditions, using the same source content. The label on the box won't tell the whole story.
RTINGS does list power consumption for their displays, but I'm not sure what conditions they apply to. I'd expect OLED to lie somewhere in the middle between edge-lit LCDs (low power consumption) and high-density, high brightness full-array LCDs.
Anecdotally, mine barely gets warm in SDR even when it's been running for hours.

Classicrock78

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
San Antonio

Also Classicrock78 I use my OLEDs every day, for several hours, on any content I want, and I've never had issues with them.
That's comforting I just got a c1 48 in Saturday im so worried to use it as much as my last tv.

nikasun :D

Oct 30, 2017
Are they really calling it that? Are they banking on OLED being obsolete in 5 years time, otherwise it will soon get very complicated!
No, not sure what it will be called, but since this year is C1 I just went with the flow.

Does anyone have experience working on a 55" TV sitting about 5,5 feet / 170 cm away? I would be mostly working with text, so might need to work in full hd instead of 4k?

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
So I'm thinking about putting a TV on the wall and I use all 4 of the back HDMI ports. I can get 90° angle adapters for the bottom two but the top are my concerns for keeping the TV as flush as possible.
Any words of advice for the cables or the mounting of the bracket process?

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Still waiting till Black Friday for my TV upgrade but I am wondering between the LG CX (Might get good deal since C1's are out) or the Hisense u8g. Outside of OLED stuff, both are very close in price (UK) and both seem to have solid features. Mostly gaming on it.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone have experience working on a 55" TV sitting about 5,5 feet / 170 cm away? I would be mostly working with text, so might need to work in full hd instead of 4k?
I would recommend using Windows' scaling set to 200% (1920x1080 workspace) or 300% (1280x720 workspace) rather than lowering the resolution, but that sounds like it could be frustrating to use.

That's comforting I just got a c1 48 in Saturday im so worried to use it as much as my last tv.
I do the same: using it like a monitor, or for games/tv/movies, without thinking about the fact that it's OLED.
No issues so far, but it hasn't been two months yet. I did pay for a warranty that is supposed to cover burn-in if it happens, though.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
Still waiting till Black Friday for my TV upgrade but I am wondering between the LG CX (Might get good deal since C1's are out) or the Hisense u8g. Outside of OLED stuff, both are very close in price (UK) and both seem to have solid features. Mostly gaming on it.
what sizes are you looking at? I think C1 is ~2x the price of the u7g in the US.

Deleted member 12833

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My 4 year old Visio p series just died. Definitely looking at OLED but worried about brightness. I like to keep the windows open

Turnbl

Oct 27, 2017
Looking at the 65" C1 - are all 4 of the hdmi ports ARC/eARC? Struggling to find a right angled hdmi 2.1 cable (for hdmi4 port on a bracket fitting). If so I assume I can 'waste' a right angled 2.0 cable in hdmi4 port on a soundbar with no issues?

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Looking at the 65" C1 - are all 4 of the hdmi ports ARC/eARC? Struggling to find a right angled hdmi 2.1 cable (for hdmi4 port on a bracket fitting). If so I assume I can 'waste' a right angled 2.0 cable in hdmi4 port on a soundbar with no issues?
HDMI #2 is the ARC/eARC port.
All support HDMI 2.1 signals though (4K120).

inputs-side-largexzk8g.jpg

eARC does not require an HDMI 2.1 cable if you aren't passing through HDMI 2.1 video (I don't think any sound bars do?).
It only requires that the cable supports Ethernet.

One of my few complaints about the TV is the port layout.
I hate that most are along the side rather than downward facing in a recess on the back.
With the 48C1 at least, they aren't recessed in very far from the side, so cables are easily visible.

Neodiablo22

Oct 25, 2017
I have a $1500 budget. I'm not sure if I should get a 55 inch lg C1 or go for a 65 inch tv. I'm not sure which 65 inch tv would make sense for that budget. Any recommendations?

Turnbl

Oct 27, 2017
HDMI #2 is the ARC/eARC port.
All support HDMI 2.1 signals though (4K120).

eARC does not require an HDMI 2.1 cable if you aren't passing through HDMI 2.1 video (I don't think any sound bars do?).
It only requires that the cable supports Ethernet.

One of my few complaints about the TV is the port layout.
I hate that most are along the side rather than downward facing in a recess on the back.
With the 48C1 at least, they aren't recessed in very far from the side, so cables are easily visible.

Thanks very much, very helpful. That's a pain, you're right - downwards facing back panel would be much better! It's ok I've found a 2.1 right angled cable now for port 4, trying to future proof.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
This is a situation I don't know where else to ask about on this forum,

I bought my LG CX OLED last year about 3 weeks ahead of the Xbox Series X launch in anticipation of the current gen consoles coming out.

For the first couple of weeks, I had inconsistent video signal performance from my Series X. I plug all my consoles in direct to the TV, not through a receiver, using the cables that came with the consoles (so they are HDMI 2.1). Sometimes, the video signal would be artifacting/glitching out or just display a blank black screen, and other times it would work just fine with no fuss whatsoever.

People told me at the time that it was believed that the issue was the fact that I had SIMPLINK enabled OR that the cable was faulty. Well, being the easier of the two options, I disabled SIMPLINK on both my console and on the TV, and voila, I very, very rarely encounter the issue at all anymore. It still happens, but maybe like once every other month since -- and that's been the case since late November 2020. Usually a quick restart of the TV itself (I don't need to turn off the console) will correct the rare issue where the video signal is borked. It only happens on my Series X -- my PS5 has not had this issue at all since launch.

Does anyone know if this issue was taken care of since then? I have the capability to just turn it on and experiment myself, but just curious if anyone knows if this was something that LG addressed in a firmware update. I kinda like SIMPLINK and want to enable it, but I don't want to have to turn the TV on and off repeatedly to get the Xbox video signal to display correctly like I had to at launch if it's still an issue.

I don't even think that this issue was commonly encountered by Series X+CX users. It seems like it was fairly rare among us, so I'm not even entirely sure if it's a well-known issue, and the fix (turning off SIMPLINK) seemed very easy and has been pretty reliable ever since.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
This is a situation I don't know where else to ask about on this forum,

I bought my LG CX OLED last year about 3 weeks ahead of the Xbox Series X launch in anticipation of the current gen consoles coming out.

For the first couple of weeks, I had inconsistent video signal performance from my Series X. I plug all my consoles in direct to the TV, not through a receiver, using the cables that came with the consoles (so they are HDMI 2.1). Sometimes, the video signal would be artifacting/glitching out or just display a blank black screen, and other times it would work just fine with no fuss whatsoever.

People told me at the time that it was believed that the issue was the fact that I had SIMPLINK enabled OR that the cable was faulty. Well, being the easier of the two options, I disabled SIMPLINK on both my console and on the TV, and voila, I very, very rarely encounter the issue at all anymore. It still happens, but maybe like once every other month since -- and that's been the case since late November 2020. Usually a quick restart of the TV itself (I don't need to turn off the console) will correct the rare issue where the video signal is borked. It only happens on my Series X -- my PS5 has not had this issue at all since launch.

Does anyone know if this issue was taken care of since then? I have the capability to just turn it on and experiment myself, but just curious if anyone knows if this was something that LG addressed in a firmware update. I kinda like SIMPLINK and want to enable it, but I don't want to have to turn the TV on and off repeatedly to get the Xbox video signal to display correctly like I had to at launch if it's still an issue.

I don't even think that this issue was commonly encountered by Series X+CX users. It seems like it was fairly rare among us, so I'm not even entirely sure if it's a well-known issue, and the fix (turning off SIMPLINK) seemed very easy and has been pretty reliable ever since.
Have you tried another cable, or even swapping the cables over?
The PS5 is only using 32gbps bandwidth while the Xbox uses 40gbps - so it's more demanding of cable quality right now.
I've also heard some people say that a factory reset of the TV has fixed their connectivity issues with some consoles.

This is what my C1 looked like when running Resident Evil Village with a faulty HDMI cable:
The cable worked fine with brighter images, but glitched out like that in dark scenes (which seems to stress HDMI more for some reason).
After replacing the cable, I haven't had anything like that happen once.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Have you tried another cable, or even swapping the cables over?
The PS5 is only using 32gbps bandwidth while the Xbox uses 40gbps - so it's more demanding of cable quality right now.
I've also heard some people say that a factory reset of the TV has fixed their connectivity issues with some consoles.

This is what my C1 looked like when running Resident Evil Village with a faulty HDMI cable:
The cable worked fine with brighter images, but glitched out like that in dark scenes (which seems to stress HDMI more for some reason).
After replacing the cable, I haven't had anything like that happen once.

your clip is what mine did at launch and still does occasionally. I will try to buy a better cable in the near-future. Thanks for the response!

KDash

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Well, my 43" 1080p HDTV that my dad bought me in 2015 broke earlier. My dad is offering to get me a new TV, but the budget is only around ~$350, maybe a bit more, but not much.

Any good 4K TVs for gaming around the 43"-50" size range for that price, perhaps on sale? My dad was thinking about getting me this Hisense one, but I can't find any professional reviews for it. I was looking at this other one from them earlier since it's recommended by Rtings, but it's above the price range (I was also looking at it before I got a budget)...and it also went up another $50 like an hour after I looked at it. Heh.

Edit: Nevermind. My dad lent me his 50" HDTV for a while. Should hopefully be able to get a much fancier 4K TV in 3 or so weeks with some money I'll have then.

Last edited:

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
anyone with a lower end sony find it worth the price in the long run? I think I want an x85j at this point for a secondary TV for sports (paranoid about the amount of sports I watch on my CX), but the price differences between the name brands and the Chinese brands is quite a bit.
the research i've done leads me to believe that I will get better out of the box color accuracy, significantly better image processing, and an overall better panel (less lottery/DSE). i'm giving up screen size and local dimming zones. I think the trade offs are worth it since I plan to use the CX for everything else. I also get hdmi 2.1 120hz if I ever wanna play games in this room lol

Concrete1337

Sep 1, 2020
Was ordering a pizza the other day and decided to throw in a 77 C1 for good measure. Getting it Wednesday *fingers crossed* (not the pizza).

How have owners found uniformity? I think I need to stay off avs forums. To much talk of pink tints.