• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

bombshell

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denmark
Anthem topped the UK boxed game sales chart during its first week of release, but with half the physical sales of BioWare's previous game Mass Effect Andromeda.

Without digital sales through EA's Origin service on PC, or download sales on PlayStation or Xbox, it's difficult to draw exact comparisons. But from the comparisons we can make, Anthem's sales do not paint a hugely positive picture.

Anthem only managing half the launch week sales of Andromeda is disappointing, as Andromeda only managed half the launch week sales of Mass Effect 3.
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019-02-25-anthem-physical-sales-half-mass-effect-andromeda

The EA game performed best on PS4, accounting for 54 per cent of sales. 40 per cent came on Xbox One, with the remainder on PC.

The game sold comfortably more than last week's big new games, including Far Cry: New Dawn and Metro Exodus. But it isn't the fastest-selling game of the year, that is a position currently held by Resident Evil 2 and then Kingdom Hearts III.

Of course, as an online-focused game, it's likely Anthem performed well as a download release. The charts data does not currently factor in digital sales, making any meaningful analysis impossible.
https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2019-02-25-anthem-tops-uk-boxed-charts

More details about this week's UK physical sales data in the respective links.

Top 10 week ending Feb 23:
  1. Anthem (~42k)
  2. Far Cry: New Dawn
  3. FIFA 19
  4. Red Dead Redemption 2
  5. Metro: Exodus
  6. Forza Horizon 4
  7. New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe
  8. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
  9. Call of Duty Black Ops 4
  10. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

Last edited:

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK is never representative of the big picture, much less physical only, as I'd expect a game like Anthem mainly sell digitally. Still, that sounds pretty bad, considering how enormous the hype around Anthem was compared to Andromeda. We'll see the bigger numbers soon enough, anyhow.

ket

Jul 27, 2018
"Of course, as an online-focused game, it's likely Anthem performed well as a download release. The charts data does not currently factor in digital sales, making any meaningful analysis impossible."

ok

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
tenor.gif

El-Suave

Oct 27, 2017
Not painting this as good news but Anthem is one of those typical games you'll want to get digitally if you remotely plan to stick with it.

Oct 30, 2017
UK is never representative of the big picture, much less physical only, as I'd expect a game like Anthem mainly sell digitally. Still, that sounds pretty bad, considering how enormous the hype around Anthem was compared to Andromeda. We'll see the bigger numbers soon enough, anyhow.

We've had some enormous hype for games here. Anthem was not one of them, at least not close to launch. After the reveal, maybe.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I thought the split would be higher towards PS4 as I expect many XBO owners will have gone down the EA Access route (10 hour trial + digital discounts).

Also surprised 6% of sales are PC physical. I didn't realise they still even did physical PC games.

Dojima

Alt-account
Banned
Jan 25, 2019
The game is so much fun and this is bad. I hope digitally it's doing well

OP
OP
bombshell

bombshell

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denmark
I thought the split would be higher towards PS4 as I expect many XBO owners will have gone down the EA Access route (10 hour trial + digital discounts).

Also surprised 6% of sales are PC physical. I didn't realise they still even did physical PC games.
I'd guess it's just a code in a box, but someone with actual knowledge about the PC physical release can correct if I'm wrong.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
"Of course, as an online-focused game, it's likely Anthem performed well as a download release. The charts data does not currently factor in digital sales, making any meaningful analysis impossible."

ok
Yes we do need to factor this in to the UK charts each week. Digital is such a huge chunk these days. But we've been promised digital sales would be included in the UK charts for the beginning of 2019... and we're still waiting!

Good4Squat

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I ended up buying a month of EA access premier so that I could try the full game for myself. So I guess they are at least getting some money that way from people like me who aren't completely sold on the game.

Will be interesting to see what the future holds for this game and Bioware in general.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
After that horrendous demo / beta / whatever you want to call it, I ain't suprosed.

theaface

Oct 25, 2017
The charts data does not currently factor in digital sales, making any meaningful analysis impossible.

Irrespective of Anthem, this is broader issue with sales data. Whilst I appreciate that the platform holders may not be sharing data, it just seems crazy in this day and age that digital sales aren't counted.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We've had some enormous hype for games here. Anthem was not one of them.

Era is not the world. Anthem is easily one of the most awaited games of this generation. The reveal blew people's minds. They advertised the game to hell and back. They had Neill Blomkamp make a short movie of the game. It's like the biggest new IP from EA in I don't know how many years, from Bioware nonetheless. EA expects to sell A LOT, and this was their big shot at the Destiny/Division-esque GAAS loot shooter with years of support for tens, hundreds of thousands of active players. Anthem, by all means, was supposed to be huge. Games like this aren't particularly big (comparatively) on Era, but the amount of posts in the OT shows that a lot of people are playing it even here. Anthem had everything to be huge, and EA spent a huge amount of resources on it, both development and advertisements. For weeks I could barely open a YouTube video without an Anthem trailer. Anthem literally sponsored The Walking Dead on TV here in Italy. By all means, it's supposed to be huge.

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's sad for the team but i'm somewhat glad that such a behaviour from a big publisher isn't accepted.

Showing it by not buying the game is the only real way to make ea understand.

Xevross

Oct 28, 2017
UK looter shooter physical debuts:

Borderlands 2 ~190k
Destiny 417k
The Division 277k
Destiny 2 175k
Anthem ~42k

Anthem would need a monster digital share to even be an okay launch. Kingdom Hearts 3's physical launch was 59% bigger than this, KH3!

Bruno MB

PAL Charts Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Destiny 2 had a 35% digital ratio, it makes sense that a year and a half later the ratio has been increased to around or close to 50%. Even so, this would mean less than 100,000 units sold first week for a title which best market in Europe is UK because Bioware titles don't perform excessively well in the rest of biggest European regions perhaps with the exception of Germany. Unless it has an stellar performance in the US there is no way it is reaching the forecasted 5 - 6 million target.

OP
OP
bombshell

bombshell

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denmark

Borderlands 2 ~190k
Destiny 417k
The Division 277k
Destiny 2 175k
Anthem ~42k

Anthem would need a monster digital share to even be an okay launch. Kingdom Hearts 3's physical launch was 59% bigger than this, KH3!
Ouch, thanks for the details. Maybe 100k at best with digital? That's still bad.

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This combined with Benji's tweet makes me pretty confident that the 6 million sales that EA were expecting for this quarter is completely out of reach now

Oct 30, 2017
Era is not the world. Anthem is easily one of the most awaited games of this generation. The reveal blew people's minds. They advertised the game to hell and back. They had Neill Blomkamp make a short movie of the game. It's like the biggest new IP from EA in I don't know how many years, from Bioware nonetheless. EA expects to sell A LOT, and this was their big shot at the Destiny/Division-esque GAAS loot shooter with years of support for tens, hundreds of thousands of active players. Anthem, by all means, was supposed to be huge. Games like this aren't particularly big (comparatively) on Era, but the amount of posts in the OT shows that a lot of people are playing it even here. Anthem had everything to be huge, and EA spent a huge amount of resources on it, both development and advertisements. For weeks I could barely open a YouTube video without an Anthem trailer. Anthem literally sponsored The Walking Dead on TV here in Italy. By all means, it's supposed to be huge.

Now we're talking about "meant to be huge" and "lots of advertising". Those do not mean that there's hype. They might create hype, but clearly this didn't and the sales show.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
No sugarcoating those numbers. BOMBA

WOM/bad first impressions is a strong thing in the digital age.

Not too different from Fallout 76. The audience for these games know better. If it's shite, they'll stay away.

If the Division 2 proves to be good, Ubi has a goldmine on their hands.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK

Borderlands 2 ~190k
Destiny 417k
The Division 277k
Destiny 2 175k
Anthem ~42k

Yikes.

Even assuming a significant jump in Digital sales compared to Destiny 2 or The Division (which I don't think is something we can necessarily assume, both of those games were also online only titles and the digital / physical landscape hasn't shifted that far in the intervening time)... Yikes.

Azusa

Oct 25, 2017
Not bad. I thought everyone will buy it digital or get it with origin subscription instead.

Hanbei

Nov 11, 2017
This combined with Benji's tweet makes me pretty confident that the 6 million sales that EA were expecting for this quarter is completely out of reach now
It was out of reach the moment they announced they expected the game to sell that much in such a short period of time. I'm not even sure it will sell that much in the next couple of years.

Tangyn

Oct 29, 2017
Ah man that's a shame.

As a brit who signed up for Origin Prem to play it I am not surprised though! Really happy with my £15 buy in cost to play it. I also get to play Titanfall 2 campaign now (hit 30 and probably won't play anymore) as I never played it before.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The issues the game has are so far reaching that I'm not surprised. It's one thing for a game to receive a few negative reviews that are ultimately ignored by mainstream gamers. But the problems anthem is having are being well documented across YouTube and almost all media outlets. That's going to affect sales in a much more impactful way. I'm sure sales numbers will continue to grow as the game gets updated to an acceptable level of quality, but I imagine most will buy at reduced sale prices.

Xevross

Oct 28, 2017
Yikes.

Even assuming a significant jump in Digital sales compared to Destiny 2 or The Division (which I don't think is something we can necessarily assume, both of those games were also online only titles and the digital / physical landscape hasn't shifted that far in the intervening time)... Yikes.

Well thanks to Bruno we know Destiny 2 had a 35% digital ratio, if it was that first week then it sold about 270k. Even if Anthem had a huge jump to 55% digital, that's a debut of 1/3 of Destiny 2, and less than 1/3 of The Division without any digital accounted for. Yikes indeed...

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017

Borderlands 2 ~190k
Destiny 417k
The Division 277k
Destiny 2 175k
Anthem ~42k

Oh fuck.

Fallout 76 did 85k

Anthem did 50% of FO 76's numbers. Jesus.

Goodness gracious.

I wonder how much damage the early access period did for day one sales. Same as what happened with ME Andromeda, letting everyone out there with a streaming connection broadcast hours of unpatched, unfinished game footage for the whole week leading up to release just seems like a baffling decision.