• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

zuf

Oct 25, 2017
So this is second dumb release window for the franchise in a row (short sightedness in locking down to Xbone aside).

Seriously, why was there a need to release a week after Spider-Man? Actually reports point to a decent game but it's going to get crushed now with many more teases still to hit in the fall/winter.

Yup. The initial reboot came out in early March and sold well. No idea why they went for Q3/Q4 release for the sequels.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
50% percent drop on Xbox is strange. What is everyone playing? Maybe Game Pass is that compelling these days.

I doubt this is enough to blame on a 50% drop in sales (which is obviously massive) but Rise launched on a Tuesday. Shadow launched on Friday and we're (two days later) looking at its performance on this week's chart. I've no doubt that most sales happen over the weekend but Rise potential had three more days of sales? I dunno.

No doubt this is gonna be pretty disappointing for SE.

Wandu

Oct 27, 2017
Ouch Tomb Raider....

Xbox One install base 2015 vs. Xbox/PS4 install base in 2018

Seems like PS fans are satisfied with Uncharted and are playing Spider Man instead this month.

It was a mistake going Xbox exclusive for the second game. Talk about sacrifing long-term viability for short-term gains.

The trippy part is PS4 accounted for 63% of the sales compared to XB1. That Rise exclusivity hurt the brand badly IMO.

Apex88

Jan 15, 2018
So what is the hardware split in the UK these days?

63% of Tomb Raider sales on PS4 is significant in itself. But when you also consider Spider-Man retained the top spot. That must indicate the hardware gap is quite a bit bigger than the 60-40 split people usually bring up.

Also makes you wonder what the state of the market is in Europe. Given UK is Xbox's strongest outside the US.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The peaks aren't far off from eachother, especially when you consider that the 2 more expensive SKU's of Shadow were launched 2 days earlier than the regular one, making the release more scattered.

Rise: https://steamcharts.com/app/391220 (interestingly, the overall peak is shown at 44k, but if you check month-by-month it's 27k)
Shadow: https://steamcharts.com/app/750920

No, 44,501 (RoTTR) vs 37,979 (SoTTR). And depending on WoM, all time peak players of Shadow may get bigger.

Oh so it's doing ok on PC so far. That's slightly encouraging at least.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Nice to see a niche character like Spider-Man hold his own against Lara.

Seriously though, this is pretty impressive. Tomb Raider's a big franchise.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
Square seem to be mishandling their western properties. They gave hitmam and io away, killed dues ex and now this. It seems like they are betting big on marvel, but given that we haven't even seen gameplay of their avengers game, I think it's safe to say square have some serious issues managing their ex-eidos studious.

Loveless

Oct 27, 2017
Tomb Raider (ALL) - 185,000

Rise of the Tomb Raider (ALL) - 42,000

Rise of the Tomb Raider (Xbox One) - 36,000
Rise of the Tomb Raider (Xbox 360) - 6,000

Shadow of the Tomb Raider (ALL) - 52,000

Shadow of the Tomb Raider (PlayStation 4) - 33,000
Shadow of the Tomb Raider (Xbox One) - 19,000
Wait what the hell is up with those Xbox Numbers?

H3llR8iser

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I guess Lara needs her own tomb now.

pswUgES.gif

NeoRaider

Feb 7, 2018
Let's not forget that PC is very big if not the biggest platform for recent TR games and this chart doesn't include PC (digital) numbers at all. I am not even sure was physical PC version available anywhere. I think only Standard and in some countries.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
I think the reboot is competent but it's so fucking boring.
I gave Lara's character a pass in TR2013 since she was a girl stranded on a dangerous island full of assholes but she became even duller in Rise. The gameplay loop itself is okay if you like that but playing as Lara is miserable. Even Joel from TLoU felt more alive and we all know how Joel was.

Wasn't Shadow pretty expensive?
Seriously curious where will take this franchise or will it take long vacation next to Deus Ex.

Gunslinger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Do these TR games sell well? The modern day ones I mean. I know the last one didn't sell very well. Do Lara Croft still have the same appeal as the 90s? On a side note DQ:11 is the best game out on market right now. More people should give it a chance.

Oct 26, 2017
There are other reasons why it could be struggling that have nothing to do with Rise being a timed exclusive. Unless someone has any data directly tying that exclusive deal to this report, I'm just going to chalk up that noise to console fanboy bs

MeltedDreams

Oct 27, 2017
Ye no surprises. Everyone was talking about Spider-Man, while Lara got forgotten. Likely Square will put TR on hold for quite some time.

Deleted member 12833

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think the reboot is competent but it's so fucking boring.
I gave Lara's character a pass in TR2013 since she was a girl stranded on a dangerous island full of assholes but she became even duller in Rise. The gameplay loop itself is okay if you like that but playing as Lara is miserable. Even Joel from TLoU felt more alive and we all know how Joel was.

Wasn't Shadow pretty expensive?
Seriously curious where will take this franchise or will it take long vacation next to Deus Ex.
The problem with the TR reboot is it already felt kind of stale at release due to other franchises already doing it better.

Squishy3

Oct 27, 2017
i'm an avid browser of gaming news and didn't know shadow of the tomb raider came out until i saw it pop up when i booted up steam today, so... not sure all of the fault is on spiderman but it probably contributes towards it

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
Still trying to understand what they earn making this kind of statment.
They're not making a statement, they're answering a question. Some guy ask you if you're worried about the competetion, what are you supposed to answer? You just say you're not because you believe in your game. Which is essentially what he said.

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Making Rise of the Tomb Raider an Xbox timed exclusive was an incredibly short-sighted move that has likely done serious long-term damage to the brand.

This in combination with releasing ROTTR on the same day as Fallout 4 and now, releasing SOTTR a week after Spider Man. SOTTR went gold on July 24th and Square Enix should have released it by the third week of August. Game would have done better than what it appears to be doing now.

Oct 28, 2017
The good news is this will surely inspire the next Tomb Raider game to be something completely different.

The bad news is that with the reception of Shadow in particular I fear they'll take the wrong lesson and and go for an action focus. I fear they'll look at it and think people want an action focus from Tomb Raider because Shadow's very little combat focus wasn't well recieved.

Xevross

Oct 28, 2017
42% drop is absolute madness for a launch as big as that. A good comparison is Uncharted 4 since both games launched at around 190k. Uncharted 4 fell 78% in its second week to around 43k sales while Spidey fell only 42% to around 110k. That difference is massive. Legs are going to be strong with this one.

Deleted member 39587

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 6, 2018
Well let's just give you rough Steamspy numbers:
Tomb Raider 2013 (total 11 million copies sold on a total of 5 platforms), PC: >5(shows as 5-10) million copies
Rise of the Tomb Raider (total ~7 million copies on a total of 4 platforms), PC: >2(2-5) million copies
Shadow of the Tomb Raider: already at >200(200-500)k copies

Oct 27, 2017
So from this we can infer a couple of things:

I think Bruno suggested Spidey launched to above 190k sales? If that is correct and it dropped only 42% that means its total UK retail sales are around 300k so far. So God of War is only a little above that after 5-ish months on the market. If we say 25% of people in the UK bought GoW digitally that would bring the total up to say around 400k.

If we assume that God of War has sold through about 7.5-8 million copies (going by that recent infographic from SMS) then it's only sold about 5% of its total in the UK, which seems a little low as we usually make up about 10% of the total global market. Maybe we just don't like GoW too much? I think the series has always done a proportionally huge amount of legwork in North America.

Again, I think Bruno said Tomb Raider 2013 sold about 190k on its opening week in the UK (I hope I'm not mixing up different games' performances here!), which means Shadow is launching to less than 57k, and a 25% improvement would put Rise's debut around 43k?

Good. Happy to see the same happening to PUBG too.

PUBG is losing steam by being on only 1 console? Hasn't it sold like 50 million copies total?

Did you read the OP still sold more on PS4, had no effect at all.

It didn't tho? RotTR sold very well on PS4 and SotTR still sold roughly 2/3 of its physical copies (UK) on PS4.

I think he's more suggesting that going exclusive really damaged the brand, hence why it's far below TR2013's numbers.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Them spider legs. All 8 of them. O:

*shudders*

I actually hate spiders and everything about them.

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
Now shelf this reboot and give us a Tomb Raider with a classic Lara.

Its crazy how hell bent they were on being different that they wouldn't even give Lara a classic Lara costume as an alt. outside of those dumb low polygon skins

2013 was different, flawed but had potential. They did nothing with this reboot series and it just fizzled out.

Last edited:

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Reception to the new Tomb Raider has seemed a fair bit mixed or tepid. Even if it's not bad, I don't see much reason for it to inspire much excitement, so launching "yet another one of those" so close to a mega-blockbuster like Spider-Man seemed like a real bad idea.
Thats my read, it isn't a bad game. Just kinda of there. Both it and DQ X1 should have been june -july-august games. Now they are " I will catch them on holiday sales" games

kpaadet

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Maybe Square should stop releaseing TR games in the most competitive time. This is yet another TR that is quickly overshadowed by its competition.