• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks Mpl90 for bringing that up !

To sum it up :

- Top 4 in order : SMM2, CTR, F1 and Judgement
- Super Mario Maker 2 : Biggest launch for Nintendo this year in the UK, comfortably ahead of NSBUDX.
- Bloodstained had a biggest first week on Switch than PS4&XB1 combined.
- Evergreens like Zelda, Mario Kart and Smash are up this week.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
god they have to fix the Switch version of Bloodstained. That's where the majority of their audience is.

Deleted member 36622

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
yeah i was kinda expecting this: Metroidvania audience is big on Nintendo platforms, unfortunately Bloodstained Switch version was the one where they clearly invested less money, thankfully they said they are fixing it now, we'll see.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
Mixed feelings on that Bloodstain results. Glad to see it do well, but I have the switch version and its pretty bad, and I'm someone doest get annoyed with techincal issues most of the time. But after multiple crashes, I've had enough.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Damn. Good for Bloodstained but also sorry to all the consumers?

Switch raking it big at least.

Oct 27, 2017
No wonder that they are pivoting significant ressources to fix it.

They should have guess earlier imo tho but better late than never.
Yeah, I thought that was unusual where they said they were changing priorities to work on Switch fixes. Must've been a combination of what version backers chose and early sales performance

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Switch about to run this summer as expected - it officially starts with the SMM2.
Portables have always been stronger relatively during these months, but the release schedule is quite good as well.

Cool to see Judgment up there and SMM2 at the top is more than deserved.
Yeah, I thought that was unusual where they said they were changing priorities to work on Switch fixes. Must've been a combination of what version backers chose and early sales performance
True,
but they still somewhat jeopardized the sales potential and legs of the title on Switch with releasing a subpar version.
You would think after seeing how games like Hollow Knight or Steamworld Dig 2 performed on Switch and the handheld Castlevania history....that the Switch version would have been a priority from early on.

Well...common sense and Switch support dont always go hand in hand.

Oct 25, 2017
Explains why the dev team mentioned diverting all of their resources to improve the switch version.
That's where I would've bought the game, but honestly would be a better experience once that drops to like $20. Should get a ton of patches and they mentioned some planned dlc updates so it should Improve performance and overall experience by quite a bit.

Launch sounded unfortunate with the game breaking bug that needed to be patched. Maybe should've given this a few more weeks in the oven or perhaps delay the switch release instead of just delaying it by one week to try and hide what a poor job they had done up to this point

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
Mario 2D games are loved in Europe, I suppose it will be 1# in most of the countries - and I can't imagine how much it will sell in France.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cool to see Judgment this high. I have been trying to get a copy since the damn store I buy the game from cancelled my order with no luck. I am hoping this week should have shipments of the game so I can get it finally.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
A Nintendo SKU of Bloodstained was always a distant afterthought despite the fanbase quite obviously being Nintendo centric.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Man, busy week for me last week, I got SMM2, Judgment and CTR. Glad to see all three doing well, though I can't help but wonder how well Judgment really did, I want the Yakuza series to continue to do well, especially as this is one of their best yet.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Happy to see Bloodstained doing well.

Man, did they really miscalculate on where to put their port priorties though..

Wonder if its doing better than the PC version too.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
And bloodstained would have sold even better if it were a better port.

Shows how third parties are still largely clueless regarding the Nintendo audience. For most gamers it would be obvious that a castlevania clone would be most popular on the Switch.

Day and date releases that are full featured on Switch generally do better than late ports or gimped versions. Who would've thought.

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
How often is the worst performig (in terms of tech) sku the best selling one? Ridiculous that it didnt receive as much polish as the other skus, like did they forget the classic catlevanias were all on nintendo consoles?

Jun 2, 2019
Bloodstained had a biggest first week on Switch than PS4&XB1 combined.

I've been saying this since the kickstarter launched: Igavanias' audience is on Nintendo platforms. Even if the Nintendo console back then was the Wii U, it being a simple funding goal and not the base console (or just part of the initial goal) was a travesty and an insult for such audience.

As a result for this, we get a shit version. Congrats, Iga

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Only a big launch from Nintendo could beat my boy Crash! Too bad his games are niche and not good otherwise it'd sell well.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Not surprised about Bloodstained. IGA's previous games were DS games, so a built-in fanbase and the Metroidvania space seems strong for the Switch.

I've been saying this since the kickstarter launched: Igavanias' audience is on Nintendo platforms. Even if the Nintendo console back then was the Wii U, it being a simple funding goal and not the base console (or just part of the initial goal) was a travesty and an insult for such audience.

To be fair, the Wii U was a certified bomb back then and no one expected the Switch to be so successful, plus an indie hit machine.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
A Nintendo SKU of Bloodstained was always a distant afterthought despite the fanbase quite obviously being Nintendo centric.
What makes you think that when small budget games perform best on Switch? I see it more as technical incompetence and lack of resources for multi platform support. They should have gone timed exlusive for Switch and make it was high quality but I don't think it was a distant afterthought.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Lots of KS do this. It's insane. They'll create a game tailor-made for Nintendo's audience, but make the Nintendo version a stretch goal. Many in the industry are still completely clueless when it comes to the Switch playerbase.

I kind of feel bad for Iga though because Nintendo was in a bad spot back in 2015.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
lmao at those Bloodstained results

giphy.gif

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo is killing it! July should be a sweep too between Dragon Quest, MUA3, Fire Emblem, and a bunch of smaller titles.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
What makes you think that when small budget games perform best on Switch? I see it more as technical incompetence and lack of resources for multi platform support. They should have gone timed exlusive for Switch and make it was high quality but I don't think it was a distant afterthought.

When Bloodstained was first put on kickstarter it wasn't even coming to a Nintendo system. The Wii U version was a stretch goal given the same priority as Vita.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Switch about to run this summer as expected - it officially starts with the SMM2.
Portables have always been stronger relatively during these months, but the release schedule is quite good as well.

True,
but they still somewhat jeopardized the sales potential and legs of the title on Switch with releasing a subpar version.
You would think after seeing how games like Hollow Knight or Steamworld Dig 2 performed on Switch and the handheld Castlevania history....that the Switch version would have been a priority from early on.

Tbf the game started development for PS4/Xbox ONE specs and its still an indie game so resources on optimizations are low, plus it had a messy development changing hands and all that

Only solution would have been to delay the Switch 3 or 4 months version for 'quality' reasons.

Hzsn724

Nov 10, 2017
I think ppl cry to much about games not being perfect at launch. It's just not the world we live in anymore. It never really has been. At least now companies can patch and fix them.

Bloodstained on Switch is amazing. Sure it might not be as good as PS4 and Xbox one. But if I wanted to sit in my basement and play it I would have bought it there. I opted for portability so I can take it with me anywhere. It's more important than graphics or framerate.

I literally saw ppl asking for refunds... It's unbelievable how entitled gamers are.

Deleted member 5159

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
embarassing for whomever is responsible for bloodstained to shun their main audience like this.

but then again, who would have guessed that a metroidvania would sell the most on switch? really surprising

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I wanted to get Bloodstained, but yeah reviews of the switch version kept me from getting it :/

Oct 26, 2017

True,

How can Switch be a priority if the game entered in dev in 2015 and Wii U was a target platform? They didnt even had access to the dev kit prior to the NSW launch and Bloodstained came out 2 years after the NSW launch.

No sane developer will ever leave behind other platforms after 2 years of development because NSW is the new hot console.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think ppl cry to much about games not being perfect at launch. It's just not the world we live in anymore. It never really has been. At least now companies can patch and fix them.

Bloodstained on Switch is amazing. Sure it might not be as good as PS4 and Xbox one. But if I wanted to sit in my basement and play it I would have bought it there. I opted for portability so I can take it with me anywhere. It's more important than graphics or framerate.

I literally saw ppl asking for refunds... It's unbelievable how entitled gamers are.
I wouldn't say people are entitled.

Things like the input lag and the crashes are good reasons to ask for refunds. If Iga does fix it (and I believe he does) then the Switch version would be a good enough port considering the hardware. Now though? People deserve better.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
When Bloodstained was first put on kickstarter it wasn't even coming to a Nintendo system. The Wii U version was a stretch goal given the same priority as Vita.
That changed when Switch became a hit within months and indie games were selling like crazy. Eventually their resources must have run thin though.

Oct 26, 2017
Lots of KS do this. It's insane. They'll create a fame tailor-made for Nintendo's audience, but make the Nintendo version a stretch goal.

Maybe because making a Nintendo game requires more money and dev kits? A lot of KS devs are not rich and it's always better and safe to start on PC and port later, streatch goals money are paying for dev kits and the usual certifications.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Any idea how Judgment sold compared to recent Yakuza games?

Wondering if the English dub it a boost.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017

There is a a bug here and there, some low res textures and lower fidelity, then there is Bloodstained Switch. :P
Horrible input lag, frequent crashes, bugs, very low resolution textures, lower screen resolution than they said/advertised at first, far longer loading times. Etc. They released it in a bad state no other way around it go watch the DF video

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Tbf the game started development for PS4/Xbox ONE specs and its still an indie game so resources on optimizations are low, plus it had a messy development changing hands and all that

Only solution would have been to delay the Switch 3 or 4 months version for 'quality' reasons.
True,
i still think there was enough time between the announcement of the Switch version and its release to somewhat relocate resources to make sure the game at least runs "solid" when launched.
How can Switch be a priority if the game entered in dev in 2015 and Wii U was a target platform? They didnt even had access to the dev kit prior to the NSW launch and Bloodstained came out 2 years after the NSW launch.

No sane developer will ever leave behind other platforms after 2 years of development because NSW is the new hot console.
Who said anything about leaving other system behind ?
Are you suggesting that a game optimized for Switch would have a difficult time to run/perform well on much more powerful systems ?