• Hocus Pocus (1993)

Results are only viewable after voting.

spookyduzt

Drive-In Mutant
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
4442a94a-f36e-4cd8-b50kry.jpeg

c6281bb3-e508-4c5d-9shkdp.jpeg

This is a debate that seems to come up almost every year among my group of friends, and it's really difficult for me to decide which is ultimately the better family friendly Halloween film.

Ernest Scared Stupid came first in 1991, and the late Jim Varney's Ernest P. Worrell character gets a rather deep lore dive. Turns out the reason why he's so incredibly stupid is because an ancient troll named Trantor placed a curse on Ernest's ancestor Phineas, dooming each of his descendants with increasingly diminishing intelligence until one is stupid enough to free the troll from his prison. The film is tonally all over the place, with really goofy antics from Ernest on one end, and some legitimately really creepy scenes with Trantor on the other. But I think that dynamic really captures the spirit of Halloween rather well. And the opening credits montage slaps.

Hocus Pocus came a few years later in 1993, and follows the story of three kids who accidentally resurrect three witches on Halloween night. This is a much more well known film, and I don't really think I need to say much about it. It's tonally more consistent than Ernest, but it never really has any creepy moments. The one aspect that I always felt a little weird about was all of the virgin shaming, and how much it really lingers on the subject in the first part of the film.

Ashes of Dreams

Fallen Guardian of Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
"Person is stupid" comedy is painfully unfunny (as is the obnoxious mugging to the camera) to me and Hocus Pocus has a talking cat. I love talking cats.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Damn, this is a tough one - watched both so many times to count and love them both.

My vote goes to Hocus Pocus.

They should reboot Ernest movie series with John Cena.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I've honestly never heard of "Ernest Scared Stupid", I'm well aware of Hocus Pocus though, so that by default. ;)

DrStrange87

The Fallen
Feb 8, 2018
Hocus Pocus by far and I love the other one as well. It's a staple to watch every Halloween night for me. It had so much charm and you could tell the actors enjoyed making it.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
it's not even a contest.

Ernest scared stupid is a Holloween movie.

we watch Hocus Pocus when we want some Bette Midler magic.

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
Hocus Pocus is so good Roxette made a song for the credits that Disney decided gave to the people making Super Mario Bros.

Does Earnest have a Roxette song?

Jun 10, 2018
As much as I love Hocus Pocus, my childhood nostalgia affinity for Ernest is just too much. Had that thing on VHS and every year without fail, as soon as October hit that was one of the first films me and my siblings watched.

Only Casper has it beat - the true best family Halloween film.