• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
Safety regulators warned people with kids and pets Saturday to immediately stop using a treadmill made by Peloton after one child died and nearly 40 others were injured.

The US Consumer Product Safety Commission said it received reports of children and a pet being pulled, pinned and entrapped under the rear roller of the Tread+ treadmill, leading to fractures, scrapes and the death of one child.

The commission posted a video on its YouTube page of a child being pulled under the treadmill. (Warning: this video may be disturbing to some.)

www.theguardian.com

US regulators warn Peloton users to stop using treadmill after child death

The Consumer Product Safety Commission said it received reports of children and a pet being pulled, pinned and entrapped under the machine

DirtyManos

Oct 25, 2017
Whoa holy fuck that video. At first it looked like he pinned his arms under it but the track didn't appear to be moving.

Then all of a sudden it starts pulling him under the complete fucking machine

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Why the fuck are parents letting kids playing on a treadmill?
and pets... i mean they probably put the pet on it.
They didn't let the kid play on the treadmill, the parent was on it, the kid approached and was pulled under at the end.

But the safety commission said that in at least one episode, a child was pulled under the treadmill while a parent was running on it, suggesting it can be dangerous to children even while a parent is present.

f adults want to keep using the treadmill, the commission said, they should use it only in a locked room so children and pets can't come near it.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
Whoa holy fuck that video. At first it looked like he pinned his arms under it but the track didn't appear to be moving.

Then all of a sudden it starts pulling him under the complete fucking machine
Obviously these children should not be playing on the treadmill unattended - or at all - but regular belt-based treadmills wouldn't trap an arm like that. These seem inherently FAR more dangerous, since it's the actual segments of the track pulling the child under, not just friction from a smooth belt.

PS - As a parent, that video was an incredibly hard watch. I'd never leave my kids in that situation, but seeing the boy get trapped, then snared like that was heartbreaking, and there's no reason it couldn't happen with a parent present. He walked away, but clearly at least one other child didn't. If you're at all sensitive about children being hurt, do not watch that video. And good lord do not buy one of these treadmills.

colorblindmode

Chicken Chaser
Nov 26, 2019
South Carolina
After watching that video, how is there not some safety feature that kills the treadmill if there's something like that going on? Like, if the base becomes uneven, boom, emergency shutoff

Jul 1, 2020
The Peloton Tread+ sits higher than most other treadmills and the gap under it is pretty large so larger objects, children, and pets can be sucked right under it fairly easily. Removing the safety key when it isn't being used is a good start but taking the appropriate amount of caution to keep them away in the first place is the way to go.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
Different occurence, but look at the video in OP.
Those parents are irresponsible, but that doesn't change the fact that the treadmill is inherently incredibly dangerous in its design. Not only does it have a segmented track that makes it far more likely to grab something than a smooth belt - it also doesn't appear to have any kind of emergency shut-off feature.

A parent could have been using that treadmill, a child walks in behind, and they get pulled under. That's much less of a risk with a regular belt treadmill, although those are obviously also dangerous.

Nude_Tayne

Jan 8, 2018
earth
I'm in shock after watching that video. I had to cut it off a little over halfway through. What the fuck kind of horrible oversight in design is this?

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
The Peloton Tread+ sits higher than most other treadmills and the gap under it is pretty large so larger objects, children, and pets can be sucked right under it fairly easily. Removing the safety key when it isn't being used is a good start but taking the appropriate amount of caution to keep them away in the first place is the way to go.
Beyond this, there's definitely a broader conversation to be had about people placing dangerous, heavy, gym-grade equipment in family spaces like lounges. These things are designed to live in places specifically designed for adult exercise - not the corner of a lounge that regularly has kids running around in it.

Gouty

Oct 25, 2017
I own that treadmill, no kids however. We don't even let our dog enter that room while its in use.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
Holy shit that's fucking horrifying and definitely doesn't seem safe. When I was younger the treadmill that my parents had as well as the different treadmills my extended family had (various aunts/uncles and my grandmother) all had a little magnetic key that you were supposed to attach to your shirt to act as an auto shutdown if you fall, not to mention that they all had enough space underneath so that children or pets couldn't get sucked in...

After watching that video, how is there not some safety feature that kills the treadmill if there's something like that going on? Like, if the base becomes uneven, boom, emergency shutoff

No shit, pretty much every home treadmill I have seen or used has a whole swath of safety features (usually magnets or a scale on the treadmill) so that if a person falls or something else happens the machine automatically shuts down, not to mention that they wouldn't usually activate unless a young child really knew what they were doing

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Really, really bad child proof testing.

But that's no the only treatmill with that design. The issue is that a lot of gym style equipment is rarely tested for kids since kids are not found in gyms. In this case it is a home product, but it's following gym standards.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I'm assuming the video linked is not the one of the child dying, right? Otherwise, that would be something I do not want to watch.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Jesus christ that's tragic.

I'm not watching any video of a child being hurt so I don't know the situation. But it's hard to watch kids at all times and so I don't fault anh parents for their kids getting hurt, but the company not child proofing something that is in so many family households. As a kid I definitely played around my parents treadmills... Putting my race cars on it and shit. That was the 90s of course. No rules

OP
OP
Sqrt

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
I'm assuming the video linked is not the one of the child dying, right? Otherwise, that would be something I do not want to watch.
Kid frees himself and runs away on his own on the video. But is still a very hard watch. The main point is that the device can trap and pull a kid bellow it.

Psamtik

Oct 27, 2017
Beyond this, there's definitely a broader conversation to be had about people placing dangerous, heavy, gym-grade equipment in family spaces like lounges. These things are designed to live in places specifically designed for adult exercise - not the corner of a lounge that regularly has kids running around in it.

It's definitely something that owners really need to take seriously. I've had my ankle go sideways once or twice at the gym, resulting in a near-slip/catch-myself, but I'm an adult in a public space. Treadmills in general are at least kind of dangerous, but this is a 455-pound, commercial-level machine that doesn't belong anywhere near children. People need to know what they're inviting into their homes.

Jul 1, 2020
I would hope that Peloton addresses this sooner rather than later with something other than "just take out the safety key." I have also heard that at the end of the more recent tread classes the instructor will remind you to remove the safety key which I'm not sure whether they have done that in the past since I only have the Bike.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
Screen_Shot_2019_12_03_at_11.11.07_AM.png

grand

Oct 25, 2017
As far as I can tell, the issue is that the Peloton isn't heavy enough to weigh it down so it's possible for the treadmill to lift itself over an object (think of it like a tank's treads). That's a pretty big design flaw in the pursuit of the lighter exercise equipment.

soda mixer

Jul 4, 2018
Jesus, this is terrifying. Treadmills are definitely attractive nuisances—one of my worst injuries ever as a kid was when my friend and I were ducking around with my mom's Nordictrack. Somehow I got my foot wedged in the gears or something, and the thing ripped out my big toenail at the root and flung it across the room. I started shrieking as my friend picked up my toenail and just kind of gawked at it.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
Yup my exact thought. The fact the treadmill just keeps powering despite all the resistance is.. baffling

It's normal for a treadmill to keep moving against resistance. The belt needs to maintain speed with up to hundreds of pounds on it. It's why treadmills have safety keys, if you fall while running it will auto shutdown the machine.

As far as I can tell, the issue is that the Peloton isn't heavy enough to weigh isn't down so it's possible for the treadmill to lift itself over an object (think of it like a tank's treads). That's a pretty big design flaw in the pursuit of the lighter exercise equipment.

It's almost 500lbs. I think the issue is the peloton is designed in a way that makes the back end higher off the ground and easier for this type of accident to happen but i could see this happening with other brands too. Don't let your kids play on exercise equipment and remove the key while not in use. They are very heavy and have a lot of power.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
It's definitely something that owners really need to take seriously. I've had my ankle go sideways once or twice at the gym, resulting in a near-slip/catch-myself, but I'm an adult in a public space. Treadmills in general are at least kind of dangerous, but this is a 455-pound, commercial-level machine that doesn't belong anywhere near children. People need to know what they're inviting into their homes.
I have a gym in the garage that has a power cage, heavy weights, and a cross trainer. The garage is constantly locked and off limits to the children, and even then I have all the weight plates removed from the bars and racked, the bars stowed, and the cross trainer locked whenever they're not in use. They're all dangerous enough for adults - let alone children.

Even with all these precautions, though, one of my kids could very easily get hurt if they came into the garage while my wife or I was using it. Gym equipment is scary. It absolutely does not belong in the corner of a family room like the one in the video.

That being said, I also believe there are numerous design flaws with the Peloton treadmill that increase the danger to completely unacceptable levels. Forget other people coming in: what if I slipped off the back of the treadmill and caught my hand or foot under the tracks?

SirMossyBloke

Oct 26, 2017
If Dexter taught us one thing, and it has, its that kids and treadmills dont mix.

Edit: i couldnt finish that video, that was horrific.

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
My parents use the treadmill in our house. After each use, they remove the emergency shut off key, turn off the power switch, and unplug it from the wall outlet.

I feel somewhat better that our preschooler could not figure out how to get it to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.