• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
I would hope that Peloton addresses this sooner rather than later with something other than "just take out the safety key." I have also heard that at the end of the more recent tread classes the instructor will remind you to remove the safety key which I'm not sure whether they have done that in the past since I only have the Bike.

Per this Verge article Peloton is also saying that users should store it out of the reach of children when not in use. I don't think that's realistic with someone that size.

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
Are these electric threadmills that much better than the old manual ones?
I had one of those before and I was pretty good for my fitness
Like an electric motor feels kinda dangerous

Oct 27, 2017
Not watching the video, but treadmills are dangerous. I was on one at a new gym once, doing my induction with the trainer and he got me going to a good speed and then I tripped, and as I had never really been in one before wasn't able to grab the barriers and instead was literally flung across the room. And I'm a big fat lad, so imagine what one could do to a child/pet.

Haven't been on a treadmill since and that was 20 years ago.

Forsaken82

Oct 27, 2017
I have a permanent scar on my right hand from an accident I had on a treadmill playing with my brother from like 30 years ago. This is not just a peleton issue. Kids are dumb and do dumb things around random shit. I was one of them.

Merv

Oct 27, 2017
Kept thinking the kid was out and then it just drug him under again.

Kids should be kept away from treadmills, but that Peloton has separate horizontal slats on the belt.

Look at this Peloton

Tread-300x300.jpg

vs my Schwinn

0Q2pNe5.jpg

Schwinn belt is downright slick in comparison and that bar should keep things from getting sucked under.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not going to watch the video, but reading the description, it's absolutely insane that there is not automatic shutoff feature when resistance ramps up to to a certain threshold.

Ayato_Kanzaki

Nov 22, 2017
0Q2pNe5.jpg

Schwinn belt is downright slick in comparison and that bar should keep things from getting sucked under.

The bar certainly is an improvement, but still not enough. Imagine a kid's hand getting stuck between the two and getting belt-sanded.
There should be a bunch of photoelectric sensors in there to stop the treadmill if any solid object is detected close to the belt.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Why doesn't it have like any sensors or like a guard at the end or anything? Seems like such a simple solution that would make it infinitely more safe the fuck?

Miss Piggy

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I'm glad I have the cheaper Peloton Tread which doesn't have the horizontal slats, just a regular treadmill belt.

oneils

Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa Canada
It's normal for a treadmill to keep moving against resistance. The belt needs to maintain speed with up to hundreds of pounds on it. It's why treadmills have safety keys, if you fall while running it will auto shutdown the machine.

It's almost 500lbs. I think the issue is the peloton is designed in a way that makes the back end higher off the ground and easier for this type of accident to happen but i could see this happening with other brands too. Don't let your kids play on exercise equipment and remove the key while not in use. They are very heavy and have a lot of power.

The thing in the video posted in the op is almost 500lbs? If so that kid is incredible. He was tough as nails, regardless, but he managed to lift the thing up with his back.

Trike

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Nov 6, 2017
If those kids were playing on a higher speed that kid's face wouldn't have been enough to slow it down. Can't you fold up and store the treadmill when not in use? Or do not all do that?

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
The thing in the video posted in the op is almost 500lbs? If so that kid is incredible. He was tough as nails, regardless, but he managed to lift the thing up with his back.
The bouncy ball made it tons easier. Also the reason he's under there in the first place. :(

Conciliator

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not going to watch the video, but reading the description, it's absolutely insane that there is not automatic shutoff feature when resistance ramps up to to a certain threshold.

Yep, first thing that came to mind for me too. If Peloton is supposed to be selling these high-end, modern-technology home gym equipment, there's absolutely no reason they shouldn't be able to engineer a safety shutoff for this thing based on resistance and/or other factors. That's either negligent incompetence or deliberately cutting corners to get a little higher profit margin.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Yep, first thing that came to mind for me too. If Peloton is supposed to be selling these high-end, modern-technology home gym equipment, there's absolutely no reason they shouldn't be able to engineer a safety shutoff for this thing based on resistance and/or other factors. That's either negligent incompetence or deliberately cutting corners to get a little higher profit margin.

the craziest thing about it , is that I can't imagine a proper shutoff would cut into their expenses. It would certainly be cheaper than paying for recalls and lawsuits.

I'd imagine whatever hardware they are using to measure the customer's performance could also be used to provide this safety feature.

this has to be just gross negligence.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
95% of treadmills are shit in safety. This isn't new to peloton or treadmills. But finally it's getting some god damn attention.

Just search treadmills on Amazon and you will find a ton of open back ones that will give the same results as this peleton

Oct 25, 2017
Kept thinking the kid was out and then it just drug him under again.

Kids should be kept away from treadmills, but that Peloton has separate horizontal slats on the belt.

Look at this Peloton

Tread-300x300.jpg

vs my Schwinn

0Q2pNe5.jpg

Curved treadmills are like the peloton.

xebex_runner__15604.1556043764.jpg

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
They should have some sort of safety mechanism where if it detects you have somehow moved off the top of the device, they should power down immediately.

As it is they look like a goddamn death trap.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
They should have some sort of safety mechanism where if it detects you have somehow moved off the top of the device, they should power down immediately.

As it is they look like a goddamn death trap.
As usual, a company is pinching pennies. It's likely a 50¢ part to add.

Not only that, it's a standard safety measure.

atomsk eater

Oct 25, 2017
That video was terrifying, I remember that primal fear of being dragged under an escalator as a kid. Glad the boy freed himself. But yeah any home use treadmill needs some child proofing and safety features.

Sirhc

Hasn't made a thread yet. Shame me.
Oct 27, 2017
What in the actual fuck. Why do these treadmills not have a guard over the belt on the back side? Fucking safety 101 jesus fucking christ belts are not some complex new thing

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
They should, it's insane that they don't, who designed these death traps? Have they never been to a grocery store or rode an escalator?

Those are not the same and could have its own potential problems both to safety and wear and tear on the machine. The actual running platform of treadmills hasn't changed much in over 40 years. They've always been open back.

Like I said earlier in the thread treadmills are generally safe to use if used properly. All motor driven treadmills have safety auto stops via a key you clip to yourself while in use. When not in use you're supposed to remove the key. They come with a big safety warning sheet on how to use properly.

Because the back of the peloton is raised higher than most treadmills it makes it easier for this type of thing to happen. Not sure if the kid would have been pulled like that if it wasn't for the gym ball. But again if you're a parent don't let your kids play on exercise equipment and remove your treadmill key.

Cbrun44

I got a Tread a few weeks back and I'm a bit confused. A few things...

There is literally a clip that attaches to you where the motor stops immediately when it is moved with any pull whatsoever. I tried it and the thing stops no matter how fast you are going. So far, this feels safer or at least the same as the typical treadmills I've used in commercial gyms.

That key is supposed to / technically required to come off when not in use. Very simple, right in front of you type item. If I had small children (mine are older and I still won't let them on) this seems like a no brainer as you can simply pull it out, put it on the Tread shelf, and the thing won't turn on at all.

I'm not even sure how a small kid could turn it on as the knob is like 6 feet off the ground and inside the handle. To get the speed up you would actually have to turn multiple times. If a kid or dog happens to wander under the tread that seems like a problem with the user. The beast is like 500 pounds and really needs a dedicated space.

Lastly, in general all exercise equipment should be kept from kids. I have multiple thousands of pounds of equipment in the garage that could be considered death traps.

Keuja

Oct 27, 2017
Why don't they add a weight sensor or something that stops the engine when it detects that no one is running on it? Seems pretty basic.

EYEL1NER

Oct 26, 2017
Yep, Pelaton is fucking up. My initial reaction when I read the thread title was 'don't let your kids play on treadmills.' Thankfully I read what happened and watched the video. Now I feel like shit because I always chide people who make light of the McDonald's hot coffee incident for having a knee-jerk reaction and making assumptions and here I've done the same thing. Fuck Pelaton though; even a weight sensor to tell that the rear part of the machine has been lifted and is no longer on the ground would have prevented these incidents.

OP
OP
Sqrt

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
The bar certainly is an improvement, but still not enough. Imagine a kid's hand getting stuck between the two and getting belt-sanded.
There should be a bunch of photoelectric sensors in there to stop the treadmill if any solid object is detected close to the belt.
She wouldn't die, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.