• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

thecouncil

Oct 29, 2017
youtu.be

V/H/S/99 - Official Teaser [HD] | A Shudder Original

V/H/S/99 marks the return of the acclaimed found footage anthology franchise and the sequel to Shudder’s most-watched premiere of 2021. A thirsty teenager's ...

From the Youtube description:
A thirsty teenager's home video leads to a series of horrifying revelations. Featuring five new stories from filmmakers Maggie Levin (Into The Dark: My Valentine), Johannes Roberts (47 Meters Down, Resident Evil: Welcome To Raccoon City), Flying Lotus (Kuso), Tyler MacIntyre (Tragedy Girls) and Joseph & Vanessa Winter (Deadstream), V/H/S/99 harkens back to the final punk rock analog days of VHS, while taking one giant leap forward into the hellish new millennium.

"thirsty teenager"? take a drink, friend.

Anyway, this is the fifth V/H/S movie. They're usually alright. 94 was pretty good though. I don't think I've seen any of the previous works by the creative talent listed for this one though.

Joshua

Oct 27, 2017
The right wing militia one on 94 was amazzzzinnnng. Looking forward to this.

Calderc

Oct 25, 2017
These are like bad pizza, you know it's kinda trash but you'll eat it and might even secretly enjoy it.

Oct 25, 2017
My initial impression is that they've done a terrible job of emulating the look of 90s video camera footage, or even the look of the era overall.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
My favorite VHS bits were the "I like you" lady and the magician's cloak which has a really cool magic duel in it.

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
These are like bad pizza, you know it's kinda trash but you'll eat it and might even secretly enjoy it.
I always walk away from these thinking they're were pretty mediocre past the 2nd one, but everytime I look back at a synopsis I'm like "Actually a lot of these were pretty legit."

'94 bothered me because everything was in widescreen and they barely tried to "age" the footage appropriately.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't super into 94, but it was a step up over Virtal, and I do love found footage and I do love anthology movies, so I'm probably in for these as long as they keep making them.

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
Watched 94 recently and didn't enjoy it that much. I love most of the rest of the series though so I'll give this a shot

ArgyleReptile

Oct 25, 2017
I liked 94. It didn't reach the highs of the best segments of the first two films, but it is the first one where I came away from the movie liking all the shorts. Looking forward to this one.

grang

Nov 13, 2017
The right wing militia one on 94 was amazzzzinnnng. Looking forward to this.
Thoroughly enjoyed 94 so I'm definitely in for this.
I'm so in!!! I had a great time with '94
I liked 94. It didn't reach the highs of the best segments of the first two films, but it is the first one where I came away from the movie liking all the shorts. Looking forward to this one.
Guess I'm gonna watch 94 tonight, cool

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
This was pretty solid, with much more highlights than last years 94, which was all kinds of mid. Ozzy's Dungeon is by far the best short of the bunch, and one of the better, if not the best V/H/S shorts to date (I can't remember the old ones that well, though). Suicide Bid is terrifying, until it gets ruined at the end by throwing paranormal shit at it which wasn't needed at all, and the final short, To Hell And Back, is just goofy fun. Certainly not the best one here, but fun. The other two shorts, Suicide Dig and The Gawker, are very mediocre and nothing to write home about.

Overall a fun collection of shorts.

3/5, after last year's 2/5 for V/H/S/94.

ArgyleReptile

Oct 25, 2017
Saw this last night, it was ok. Quite uneven but not bad. 94 was waaay better tho

Just finished it. This is where I'm leaning.

I dug the premises for all of the shorts, but aside from Ozzy's Dungeon and To Hell and Back, I don't think the others nailed their execution.

I think Shredding and Gawkers, especially, all have the same issue in that the setups took way too long and, in the case of Gawkers, had a pretty abrupt and unsatisfying conclusion. Suicide Bid was just square in the middle.

Gawkers: Thinking about it now, I wonder if the stop-motion bits were supposed to be the other scenes from that story. The presentation of the actual story comes across as more of a framing narrative than anything. The ending is so quick would make sense then. And given the film ends on the final shot of the short with the camera running out of battery, it does make me think that was the case, as we are supposed to believe that all of this was on the same tape. Definitely feels like something ended up being changed in editing.

As for the story itself, I like what it was going for. The Medusa reveals, while abrupt, worked for me and was the perfect amount of irony. Personally, I would've tossed in at least one more scene of the boys attempting to creep on other girls to really bring home the message.

Shredding: As I mentioned, took way too long to get going. I also really wish they weren't generic evil spirits and they did something a bit more interesting than massacring the kids, but at the same time, I really love the ending scene of the short. I think this may have worked more if we weren't shown the teens being dismembered and then we get that reveal. The Bitch Cat song was also pretty catchy.

Suicide Bid: Started strong, but kind of fizzled out. This short did have the most likable character though. I don't mind the supernatural element tossed in, but it was a bit too bog standard.

Ozzy's Dungeon: This one was definitely the strongest best short of the bunch. Lots of great twists and turns. The Mom was freaking hilarious. Bonus points for being a black-led horror short.

To Hell and Back: The second strongest short. Definitely a fun romp. It took me a minute to catch on that this was the guy (and creative team) from Deadstream, which I watched over the weekend, but it clicked eventually. So if you liked this short, I'd recommend Deadstream as well.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
It was fine. Wasn't the trash that was Viral, but about as good as 94. Doesn't hit the highs of 2/1.

OtisPepperoni

Dec 5, 2017
Man this was pretty terrible I thought. Enjoyed the last one and thought the buried alive segment was appropriately tense but other than that just a lot of half baked ideas and poor execution.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
I thought it was great aside from the first segment which I thought was dumb. The last segment was fucking awesome and I would love to see a full blown movie out of that concept alone.

Jeffolation

Oct 30, 2017
Came off as just a hokey comedy, and it wasn't very fun or clever with that. Really disappointed.

I'd go with 2 > 94 > 1 > Viral which I haven't seen yet > 99 as my rankings.

Lirose

May 30, 2018
This was so disappointing. Was really looking forward to this but did not enjoy it. I actually think V/H/S: Viral was better than this.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
I did not know 94 was a thing. I'll have to check that out. Viral was a bad movie, so I just assumed they ended there.

Gonna watch both 94 and 99 this weekend hopefully!