• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BRSxIgnition

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Seems VA-11 HALL-A is all but 100% confirmed for Switch now, according to Kiririn51, Artist & Designer at Sukeban Games. (Source)

Notable developments are:
  • Port will likely be handled by Sukeban Games' PC Publisher.
  • Previous reports of NoA turning VA-11 HALL-A away due to 'Mature Content' are false.
  • Currently targeting a Christmas release.
  • Would be a 1:1 Port, no pixel/interlacing issues.
  • There's been lots of demand for the game on Switch since the direct.
  • The next game from Sukeban will run on Unity and use 3D models. A Switch port is in the plans, depending on who publishes it.*
  • Current release plan is e-Shop internationally, and a complete physical edition in Japan for importers. (English/Japanese)
  • Kiririn feels very positive about the sales outlook for VA-11 HALL-A on Switch.
  • Kiririn has to thank Toby for putting pressure on Nintendo to sign an agreement with GM.
  • NoA had already approached Sukeban Games to put VA-11 HALL-A on Switch. (Though primary drive for GM support was admittedly Undertale)
  • One possible name for the port is 'Mandatory Karmotrine' based off the Psycho-Pass game titled 'Mandatory Happiness' and the sometimes optional alcoholic ingredient used in VA-11 HALL-A.
  • Port is still in planning stages, and final paperwork still needs be completed before the port can be officially announced or confirmed.
*For a list of teasers for Sukeban's next game up to this point, see here & here.

Last edited:

Escalario

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So... what is this game about? Whenever I see screenshots, it looked like a VN with a bar gimmick.

Martin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Perfect for switch!

But jokes aside I'm really interested in this release

OP
OP
BRSxIgnition

BRSxIgnition

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
So... what is this game about? Whenever I see screenshots, it looked like a VN with a bar gimmick.

Is this sort of like a VN? I seriously can't tell.

Best way to explain it would be to show you the original release trailer:

But yes, it's a VN where you experience the lives of multiple people centered around being the bartender hearing their stories. Much of its appeal comes from its aesthetic, story, and soundtrack.

Announced via messages on some private Discord server?

It's not private, it's hosted by Sukeban and linked in the game's Steam forums.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
Huzzah!

Anyone have a list of indies that might pop up on Switch now that GameMaker support is added?

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Off-topic, but is the PS Vita version ever coming to Europe or is all hope abandoned on that front now?

Suzushiiro

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
When Undertale was announced for Switch alongside Game Maker support my first thought was "wouldn't it be funny if Nintendo got Game Maker on Switch solely because they wanted Undertale" and it looks like that's actually what happened.

I actually remember seeing VA-11 HALL-A on the show floor at PAX East 2015 and immediately pre-ordering it because it looked so interesting, but I never got around to actually playing it. Definitely gonna double-dip on Switch and hopefully finally play the damn thing.

OP
OP
BRSxIgnition

BRSxIgnition

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Not really into VNs. Does this one make something different from the usual?

Rather than making choices from a menu, customers request a drink, type of drink, or ask you for their 'usual' and you can either get it right or wrong. In addition to right or wrong, you can often choose to serve it with more or less alcohol, to change their reactions and how much you hear about their lives/stories. There are hidden characters and mixes too.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
The previous reports weren't saying this game was turned down for being too mature. It was a different unannounced game from people who made this one.

You probably wanna edit out that misleading statement from your OP.

OP
OP
BRSxIgnition

BRSxIgnition

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
The previous reports weren't saying this game was turned down for being too mature. It was a different unannounced game from people who made this one.

You probably wanna edit out that misleading statement from your OP.

The original statement on this matter was connecting that other game and VA-11 HALL-A:
As for whether VA-11 Hall-A will come to Nintendo Switch, there's some complications involved. While Wozniak would love to bring the game to the Nintendo console, both Sukeban and Nintendo of America would have to approve the game, and Game Maker Studio would have to work properly on the Switch. Furthermore, Wozniak thinks Nintendo of America is too concerned with keeping mature titles off the console, so the game might not get approved for release.

"The biggest challenge here [is] Nintendo of America's approval requirements and desires," Wozniak said. "We have another game that contains a mature situation where two people talk about [it] in a very kind and patient way... the concept was not approved because they are not currently looking for mature titles."

Wozniak/Ouren was in charge of the Vita port only, not the original game, and has no claim to the VA-11 Hall-A license. While the game he was talking about wasn't VA-11 Hall-A, the statement he made drew direct connections between the game he was talking about and the approval situation of VA-11 Hall-A and thus caused some confusion.

Essentially, the end result is that this statement ended up being completely inapplicable, since Nintendo expressed interest in having VA-11 Hall-A on Switch earlier on and the main issue was instead GameMaker support.

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
Previous reports of NoA turning VA-11 HALL-A away due to 'Mature Content' are false.

To be clear, this never actually happened and it was a misunderstanding by people who can't read headlines.

The developer that was porting VA-11 HALL-A to other platforms also had their own game in the works that NOA was denying. Some site wrote this up as "VA-11 HALL-A developer game denied by Nintendo," which people then interpreted as "VA-11 HALL-A denier by Nintendo" which is like the dumbest game of telephone.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
Have this on PC and Vita, I'm hesitant on triple-dipping...love the game though. It's easily one of my favorites in the past few years.

JCal

Oct 27, 2017
Los Alfheim
Vallhalla! Fuck me, I'm over here mumbling, "VA - eleven - hall - a."

WAIFUBARTENDING.COM, eh? Looks... interesting. Might pick it up on Switch.