• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The intro was great and I knew exactly where it was headed, didn't disappoint. Funny thing about Dunkey's scoring is that I've always taken them as a joke but this time idk....
Sometimes he's Serious as a heart attack with them, look at his OoT review or hid uncharted 4 review for instance

Oct 25, 2017
He's right tbh. The whole entire series is a mess story wise. If they do another KH game they should seriously consider just wiping the slate clean. Reboot the whole thing.

The series is Nomura's baby, the ride will never end.

Also 3 finished most of the story already, even if all the mobile stuff is left and oh boy it's going to be fun.

i have never played a kingdom hearts game, but i always assumed its awful, nonsensical story was part of its charm and the games were self-aware.

It is, the problem is that 3 just doesn't give a fuck and assumes you're caught on with all the story so far, and I'm happy it is that way, it's super bold for a big AAA game. The games are also super self-aware and even make fun of themselves.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Hyperbolic video, but while I enjoy the game I can't really find a lot to argue with the video. Despite the kitchen sink approach and all the tutorials, the combat is kinda booty and easy to autopilot. It's mostly carried by presentation.

Yukinari

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Danger Zone
Even as someone who enjoyed KH3 and likes (some) of these games dunkey is 100% on point.

I think the first time i booted the game up and saw the twitter feed load screens with hash tags i was in disbelief at the schlock. Awkward pauses and stilted use of these characters. Extremely unbalanced combat that rewards you constantly for doing basically nothing to the point where i had to stop myself from using attractions.

Its definitely not worthy of a 9, its barely an 8. Not a lot of games in this series are.

Orbit

Banned
Nov 21, 2018
havent watched the video yet, just saw the score. i don't exactly disagree - at least story-wise (mainly dialogue, the story as a whole is interesting). 1/5 is pretty dumb tho - the gameplay is great, even if difficulty, granted, is way too easy.

Tagg

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed Kingdom Hearts 3 but I can't disagree with any of Dunkey's points.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
While most of his criticisms are valid I don't really think it's fair to harp on KH3 for it when the entire series has kind of suffered from alot of the stuff he's complained about. If anything KH3 has kind of lessened the severity of most of the flaws the series has suffered from.

With that said there are 2 points I want to focus on that I both agree and disagree on. The first is the Disney worlds lacking charm which I not only disagree with but think undersells one of the big improvements KH3 has in comparison to the other games. The worlds are so much better this time around across the board and have alot more to offer in comparison to the other KH titles.

The other is the pacing which I do agree with and isn't really expanded on this review in favor of just making fun of the game's dumb dialogue which Dunkey always edits and presents in a way that's much worse than the actual context which I really dislike in his reviews. It's really a shame on how the game back loads it's KH stuff into the end and only have the characters only talk to each other occasionally. Of course I kind of checked out from alot of KH's shenanigans after DDD so I didn't really mind it too much but I can see how this can be a sticking point for people who were still invested and doubly so if they weren't that interested in the Disney world aspect of the franchise.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I love KH3 but it does feel like a PS2 game. This is not a diss. Shovel Knight feels very 8/16bit and it's one my favs.

The invisible walls in the worlds, the horrible Gummi Ship stuff the, the incessant cutscenes, the mashy battle system. Just reminds me a lot of that era. Love the game, but it definitely feels from another era.

HypedBeast

Oct 29, 2017
When the dialogue hits that cringe just right
3bFVZpo.jpg

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
Imma watch this. I think there was some good worlds with some good moments but there was a lot to dislike and I felt the game shit the bed towards the end. The last section was rather horrific to play. I couldn't wait for it to end but it kept going and going, fighting the same boss over and over and what really felt like actually was the same boss over and over. Almost painful and at times I'd compare it to the disaster that was FFXV.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
I feel bad for KH fans but at the same time those sounds like some very solid criticism, but then again maybe it's not something that really bothers KH fans.

I really like Dunkey's videos, his content is always in-depth and insightful despite the seemingly casual and comedic tone.

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.
Hyperbolic video, but while I enjoy the game I can't really find a lot to argue with the video. Despite the kitchen sink approach and all the tutorials, the combat is kinda booty and easy to autopilot. It's mostly carried by presentation.

My feelings right here --upon some reflection, the game reminds me of the original in that it's this bizarre blend of brilliance (I wasn't ready for how Pirates opened up) and poor game design/thematic concepts (what on earth was that Hercules intro?); in other words, what began as an-ambitious freshman project ended in something akin to a newborn studio flailing about with every idea possible within their first HD project. In that sense, we've truly come full circle.

That said, the Donald ingredient bit was too real, lol.

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
I don't think it's a 1/5,but III is def a disappointment to me. Wasn't until I beat it that I realized how poorly paced it feels and how much that should be in there that isn't. I do think once the honey moon phase is over we'll see a lot of "KH3 was disappointing"threads

Oct 25, 2017
I love KH3 but it does feel like a PS2 game. This is not a diss. Shovel Knight feels very 8/16bit and it's one my favs.

The invisible walls in the worlds, the horrible Gummi Ship stuff the, the incessant cutscenes, the mashy battle system. Just reminds me a lot of that era. Love the game, but it definitely feels from another era.

That sounds like a plus tbh. Also the combat system is amazing, calling it "mashy" and making it sound like it's a damn Musou and that's a disservice to how good it is, all we need is Critical Mode and some balance.

I'm doing a Proud level 1 run and it still needs some balance but you really can't mash X to win, I can't wait for Critical mode.

Basically, it's the same as Vanilla KH2 was.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
oh man, that was harsh
made the game look like a huge pos, and made me never want to play it (if i ever decide i actually wanted to)

Oct 25, 2017
The dialog is really bad, I kind of enjoy the gameplay and the disney worlds are nice to look at but holy shit is the dialog terrible

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
I feel bad for KH fans but at the same time those seem like some very solid criticism, but then again maybe it's not something that really bother KH fans.

As a huge KH fan, nah it doesn't. Game lived up to and surpassed all my expectations. The only game I've played last year that was better was Hollow Knight. If you asked me which game is better between God of War or KH3, I'd easily choose KH3.

ZangBa

Oct 25, 2017
Best game I've played since NieR: Automata. Worth the wait, the cringe just makes me laugh.

Yukinari

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Danger Zone

Donald's actor sounds like hes dying everytime that line happens. Some of the takes they picked for this game are god awful. Especially for Riku.

That sounds like a plus tbh. Also the combat system is amazing, calling it "mashy" and making it sound like it's a damn Musou and that's a disservice to how good it is, all we need is Critical Mode and some balance.

Unless they make it so higher difficulties dont let you use attractions, have negatives to using keyblade forms much like drive forms in KH2 and you arent able to upgrade your favorite keyblade the combat system can never be balanced. Youll have some tough fights particuarly in the last 2-3 hours of the game i guess?

Whole game feels like they designed tons of cool shit to spam against heartless hordes without thinking about how to make it fair. The fact that you can store a keyblade form after activating it is bonkers.

Last edited:

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think it's a 1/5,but III is def a disappointment to me. Wasn't until I beat it that I realized how poorly paced it feels and how much that should be in there that isn't. I do think once the honey moon phase is over we'll see a lot of "KH3 was disappointing"threads
We get a lot of those about just about every big game though.

Depending on where you go in this forum you'd think Persona 5 was despised.

HypedBeast

Oct 29, 2017
That sounds like a plus tbh. Also the combat system is amazing, calling it "mashy" and making it sound like it's a damn Musou and that's a diservice to how good it is, all we need is Critical Mode and some balance.
Ehhh, man it aint that far off from something like Hyrule Warriors. Like if you've played any of the previous ones on Proud Mode, KH3 almost feels like it is on auto-pilot.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Playing through KH3 right now and I absolutely agree.

KH fundamentally has failed to live up to its promise set up in the first game, a crossover of Disney and Square characters entangled in one story. Instead, it went completely off the rails with KH2 as Nomura decided that he wanted to tell his own convoluted anime story with a damn near brainless protagonist. The Disney worlds no longer make any sense in KH, they are only included because its expected, but they play no part in the actual overall narrative; unlike KH1. And, Square/FF characters don't even exist anymore.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Dunkey seems to really dislike repetition in games, especially in dialogue, since it seems to be a big recurring criticism in his reviews, particularly JRPGs. Granted, this also is easy to edit together to make it seem worse than it is ("Your Excellency"). Still seems to have plenty of well thought out and explained points though.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
My feelings right here --upon some reflection, the game reminds me of the original in that it's this bizarre blend of brilliance (I wasn't ready for how Pirates opened up)a nd poor game design/thematic concepts (what on earth was that Hercules intro?); in other words, what began as an-ambitious freshman project ended in something akin to a newborn studio flailing about with every idea possible within their first HD project. In that sense, we've truly come full circle.

To be honest KH3 kind of feels more like a sequel to KH1 if the last few games in the series didn't happen and only just remembered it had to be a conclusion for like 4 games in the last 4-6 hours.

That sounds really scathing but to be honest I did enjoy being in the Disney worlds more than I expected to that I didn't really notice the disconnect until further reflection. KH3 almost kind of made me wish the series didn't go batshit insane with it's plot because alot of the game kind of feels like it didn't really know how to balance it for most of the game. Kind of felt at it's best when it was just dicking around in Disney worlds

Deleted member 19533

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Yeah, but personally this is why I love it. I really prefer older style game design. Something about modern design really doesn't do it for me. I wish there were more games like this TBH. But it's been a good year with this, REmake 2, and Devil May Cry 5 also having that classic game design. They'll all do well. Perhaps we'll start to see it come back more as a result.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
As a huge KH fan, nah it doesn't. Game lived up to and surpassed all my expectations. The only game I've played last year that was better was Hollow Knight. If you asked me which game is better between God of War or KH3, I'd easily choose KH3.

That's good to hear!
I never played any KH game but for some reason I have a soft spot for KH fans, they just seem so happy to me.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
oh man, that was harsh
made the game look like a huge pos, and made me never want to play it (if i ever decide i actually wanted to)
that's honestly really sad if a hyperbolic youtube video made for easy clicks stops you from trying out a game

KH3 is better than any game i played last year and as a fan, is everything i hoped for.

Oct 25, 2017
Ehhh, man it aint that far off from something like Hyrule Warriors. Like if you've played any of the previous ones on Proud Mode, KH3 almost feels like it is on auto-pilot.

You can't be serious lol.

The combat depth of a Musou game doesn't even come close to what KH offers, haven't you played KH2:FM on Critical? It's basically the update I'm waiting for KH3, I hope they deliver it because it can elevate this game by a lot.

Proud level 1 has been fun so far, now that I'm done with the story and doing a casual replay while exploring the combat system it's pretty impressive, it just needs some some work which I'm sure it's coming at some point.

The problem people have is that the game is a joke difficulty wise and the game doesn't require you to explore the game mechanics at all to win, not that there's no combat depth. It's a crucial difference that some people don't seem to understand.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Eh whatever its probably my favorite in the series by a mile. I really don't take much criticism of these games seriously because most of the critiques of Kingdom Hearts games are pretty damn lazy.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We get a lot of those about just about every big game though.

Depending on where you go in this forum you'd think Persona 5 was despised.

Persona 5 is a good game. Persona 5 treats gay people like shit. I am conflicted about Persona 5.

Dunkey is a homophobic asshole and yet this thread is like some cult with posts like "Praise the dunk" or using this review to confirm their own bias without playing the game. No wonder I see kids asking people to sub to Pewdiepie in random Twitch channels. Like what the fuck people, KH3 has probably hundreds of reviews on YouTube, can you pick one that isn't by a gigantic asshole? I don't care how funny he may be.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I disagree about what he says about the gameplay but the rest i sorta agree

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Ehhh, man it aint that far off from something like Hyrule Warriors.
i think this is a bit too much and i get the complaints about the game feeling like auto-pilot even on proud, best thing you can do is to turn on zero exp, stop using attractions or wait for kh3fm.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Playing through KH3 right now and I absolutely agree.

KH fundamentally has failed to live up to its promise set up in the first game, a crossover of Disney and Square characters entangled in one story. Instead, it went completely off the rails with KH2 as Nomura decided that he wanted to tell his own convoluted anime story with a damn near brainless protagonist. The Disney worlds no longer make any sense in KH, they are only included because its expected, but they play no part in the actual overall narrative; unlike KH1. And, Square/FF characters don't even exist anymore.
What was the story significance to the Disney worlds in KH1 besides "you're Kairi is in another castle?"

Even the Disney villianus were being manipulated by an original character the entire time.

Also moogles.
Plus the secret ending clearly teasing more The World Ends with You.

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
I liked the game and series a lot , but there are some serious omissions that hold it back. I can only see myself going back to play the Endgame, whereas I could play KH2(especially Final Mix) start to finish.
I had fun while I played it, but after I beat it and thought it about I was underwhelmed

The Iack of keyblades, side content, and poorly paced worlds really hurt it.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not to single you out but what about all the positive impressions of the game?
that's honestly really sad if a hyperbolic youtube video made for easy clicks stops you from trying out a game

KH3 is better than any game i played last year and as a fan, is everything i hoped for.
it's not like it was on my wishlist and now it's gone, i already didn't have immediate plans to play it.
i have only ever played one KH game (BBS on PSP) which i liked, but i won't be able to jump in at 3 and i'll have to play all the previous games if i want to play 3, and that's a lot of time and effort which i don't think is worth it now.