• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sectorseven

Oct 25, 2017
www.nytimes.com

Walgreens to Close 5 Stores in San Francisco, Citing ‘Organized’ Shoplifting

One of the stores was targeted at least five times by the same man, who drew widespread attention for raiding the store on a bike and was later arrested, the authorities said.

A security guard and a television reporter were recording him, but the thief was undeterred, raiding a Walgreens store in San Francisco on a bicycle, a garbage bag in hand filled with stolen merchandise.

Millions watched a video of the brazen shoplifting in June, which critics said illustrated the epidemic of store thefts that had bedeviled retailers across the city. It was at least the fifth time that the man, who was later arrested on a raft of burglary and theft charges, had targeted that particular Walgreens store, on Gough Street in the Hayes Valley neighborhood, the authorities said.

Now, four months later, Walgreens says it will close that store and four others in San Francisco next month, citing what it described as a continuing problem of "organized" shoplifting in the city.

"Organized retail crime continues to be a challenge facing retailers across San Francisco," Phil Caruso, a spokesman for Walgreens, said in an email on Wednesday. "Retail theft across our San Francisco stores has continued to increase in the past few months to five times our chain average."

Walgreens said its San Francisco stores had been targeted by professional thieves who resell the goods they steal, mainly through online marketplaces. The San Francisco Chronicle has reported that law enforcement officials have attributed much of the city's retail crime to organized theft rings.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
This is because of the SF specific law that minimizes theft under a certain amount, right? Or is this something different?

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
All these brick and mortar stores blaming shoplifting for abandoning SF are full of shit. One dude with a garbage bag isn't bringing down multi-million dollar corporations.

Tallshortman

Oct 29, 2017
All these brick and mortar stores blaming shoplifting for abandoning SF are full of shit. One dude with a garbage bag isn't bringing down multi-million dollar corporations.

It didn't say it was one guy, that was an example that was given. Plus Walgreens evaluates their stores by location, no one said that guy was bringing down the entirety of Walgreens.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It didn't say it was one guy, that was an example that was given. Plus Walgreens evaluates their stores by location, no one said that guy was bringing down the entirety of Walgreens.
Yup. If a store starts to lose money and there's no reasonable reason to assume a turnaround then any company would shut it down.

McFly

Nov 26, 2017
Someone shoplifting a bag of Cheetos by all means let them go. Someone with a trash bag raiding the store, call the freaking police?

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure the main thing is that they just want to consolidate their locations and focus on the most profitable ones. The shoplifting is an added cost to deal with but they're closing to fit with their broader corporate strategy of slimming down in order to reduce overhead.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This is because of the SF specific law that minimizes theft under a certain amount, right? Or is this something different?
San Francisco gets a lot of attention because it reclassified theft under a certain amount to a misdemeanor, but really, it's a universal problem over the last few years. The reality is that corporate policy for shoplifting, even when it's organized, is generally "just let them go, don't engage" for liability reasons, and that cops have no interest in tracking down people that steal a few hundred dollars of merchandise - it's not worth the energy.

So you have a low risk, high reward way to make money for nothing, and everybody knows it. Even around where I live, a fairly suburban area "in demand" items like toothpaste and detergent and stuff have started to get locked up.

Whether that's enough to drive a Walgreens out of business? Dunno about that, but I'm sure it hits the bottom line and corporations will take any excuse to make cuts.

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

They cite the one guy for why they're closing down one store out of the five in SF. Either way. Shoplifting isn't what's causing these companies to leave SF but it's a convenient excuse and the press is gladly eating it up without question.

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
Can't blame them. The shoplifting in SF is brazen and insane. Never seen anything like it, not even back home in the poorest parts of Puerto Rico.

Mars

Oct 25, 2017

I still receive nextdoor notifications for the neighborhood I stayed in for a little over a month (inner sunset), but even then — I lived in SF prior and worked at a location near Union Sq.

Apparently the peeps all match a specific race and QoL.

SF/Bay area is something else. I mean. I know what it is but still.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
The law that you're thinking of, that I've seen several people comment on before, a California one, not a San Francisco one.

It is, but my understanding is that SF is "special" in that it is enforcing it (or something... all I know is there is something specific about SF that is making shoplifting sky high, but of course those living there know better than me)

XAL

Oct 27, 2017

Yup, another big reason Walgreens has been shutting down stores before the pandemic is that CVS showed up in SF in a big way and has been kicking the shit out of them.

The narrative that it's because of occasional homeless people stealing basic items is fucking stupid, big corporations and chains have theft cost already baked into their business outlook - marginal theft of shampoo and snack items isn't doing shit to their bottom line. Walgreens pointing to organized theft is nonsense and entirely designed to distract from them running their business poorly by tossing out some political red meat.

Organized theft/crime rings that target SF primarily goes for parked vehicles, bikes, packages.

Last edited:

Deleted member 4614

Oct 25, 2017
What's the simpler explanation:

Walgreens, forced to settle a pittance of a lawsuit, punished San Francisco (but not other cities in California) by closing some stores there.

Or, some stores in San Francisco have a bad shoplifting problem that makes the stores located on expensive real estate unprofitable.

I vote the second.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
The problem is, now that is even more people out work in that area, which means more desparate people who might need to resort to crime, which means more businesses following suit. TBF, this isn't Walgreen's problem to try and fix, but it's a slipperly slope that the California government is going to need to find some way to deal with...and hopefully that doesn't mean building more prisons, but maybe helping pull people out of the kind of situation that would lead them to shoplift in the first place.

Piggus

Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
A Walgreens near the warf in SF got robbed right in front of us a few weeks ago. Cop was there within seconds, but the dude was already running a block down the street and at that point they didn't do anything to chase him.

Sounds like a pretty unsurprising/easy crime to attempt when you can fill a bag in a very busy tourist area with police on the same street and nobody stops you. Reminds me of GTA where you just run a block or two away after committing petty crime and then go about your business.

Lost Lemurian

Nov 30, 2019
I dont really understand how this is relevant at all... its like the reverse alt-righter "if the police murder white ppl mainstream media doesnt care".
Because a company closing of a few retail outlets in one city is a non-story, but major outlets across the country all chose to report on it.

Corporate malfeasance by that same company? Crickets.

Kraid

Oct 25, 2017
Cuck Zone

Walgreens, forced to settle a pittance of a lawsuit, punished San Francisco (but not other cities in California) by closing some stores there.

Or, some stores in San Francisco have a bad shoplifting problem that makes the stores located on expensive real estate unprofitable.

I vote the second.
Obviously it's more likely the second. My issue is more how this is being framed by the media. We never talk about wage theft, which Walgreens participated in. But apparently Walgreens closes stores because of some theft and it deserves national attention? And it just happens to play into the idea that there's a rampant spike in crime after a national discussion about how the police operate? I'm sure that's all just a coincidence.

Over seven hundred thousand people are dead due to a pandemic, millions are struggling, and just over 9 months ago there was an attempted armed coup on the Capital. People swiping shit from Walgreens is about the least pressing issue in our country now, and this is a fucking national story.

Nov 2, 2017
Walgreens is closing like 200 stores across the country.....

Fuck these assholes trying to make it seem like some shoplifting is the cause.

XAL

Oct 27, 2017

I vote the second.

CVS moved into SF and smacked the shit out of Walgreens. Many of the stores cited as closing because of "rampant theft" were already slated to be closed before 2020 and Walgreen's PR spin of "we're not a wage stealing shit company that can't compete in the national market, we're just going to blame it on "crime" poor us :(".

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
walgreens is probably closing a bunch of stores because everyone is shopping at dollar stores now.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Given some of the updated info and larger context, it appears that once again, media in this country is dogshit.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018

Yup.

Wage theft easily outpaces any sort of property theft amounts but no one ever talks about it. The media never talks about how much the police steal from people through civil asset forfeiture either.

It is, but my understanding is that SF is "special" in that it is enforcing it (or something... all I know is there is something specific about SF that is making shoplifting sky high, but of course those living there know better than me)

The DA is prosecuting the misdemeanor crimes less from what I understand but I'm not sure it results in this.

CVS moved into SF and smacked the shit out of Walgreens. Many of the stores cited as closing because of "rampant theft" were already slated to be closed before 2020 and Walgreen's PR spin of "we're not a wage stealing shit company that can't compete in the national market, we're just going to blame it on "crime" poor us :(".

And there it is.

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
Weird that Walgreens is the only national chain being crushed on the boot of Big Shoplifters.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Open the books and show us how much you actually lose on shoplifting or shut the fuck up.
Shrinkage is rarely what make or break retail stores and shoplifting is not usually the largest part of shrinkage.

Oct 27, 2017

Yes and no. Pursuing thieves is not costless. Someone did the math and realized that all of the expenses/damages occuring from pursuing small time thieves is not worth it. Low cost property was being stolen but trying to arrest people was leading to car accidents and physical injuries to the thieves, cops, and innocent bystanders. What you're seeing in the media right now is 100% propaganda. These companies (most of whom pay little to no taxes) want the public to pay for their protection not just in the form of taxes but their own safety. These businesses won't chase after the alleged thieves because of the liability. They used to be able to hoist those risks onto the community and they're mad that they can no longer do that. Yet they are unwilling to pay the true costs of securing their property.

Tallshortman

Oct 29, 2017
They cite the one guy for why they're closing down one store out of the five in SF. Either way. Shoplifting isn't what's causing these companies to leave SF but it's a convenient excuse and the press is gladly eating it up without question.

The NYTimes used that example because it went viral at one of the stores. Nothing in the article says Walgreens gave them that example as why they're closing that or the other stores. The answer they gave the press was "organized retail crime". I have no opinion on why they're closing seeing as I don't follow local SF news, I'm just pointing this out.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
So I'm a little confused.

I'm not confused on whether Walgreens is a POS, so let's leave that out of the equation for a second.

Is there a rampant shoplifting problem in SF or is it overblown? We have posters who live there saying it's a problem, and others who say nah, it's not that big of a deal.

Deleted member 4614

Oct 25, 2017
Weird that Walgreens is the only national chain being crushed on the boot of Big Shoplifters.

Target limited its hours citing shoplifting.

"Ben Dugan, CVS director of organized retail crime and corporate investigations, also provided internal data at the hearing showing similar issues concentrated in San Francisco. There are 155 CVS stores in the Bay Area, including 12 in San Francisco; yet those 12 stores make up 26% of all shoplifting incidents in the region, CVS said."

www.cnn.com

'This has been out of control.' San Francisco's chain drug stores have a shoplifting problem | CNN

A brazen daytime shoplifting incident captured on video at a Walgreens in San Francisco on Monday has highlighted what local officials say has become a consistent problem, particularly for chain drug stores in the city.

I don't think I've ever seen CVS and Walgreens on the same corner here. They seem happy to divide and conquer.

And you usually go depends on whichever is closest. Which is a shame if walking communities need to go farther for prescription refills or toothpaste.

loco

Jan 6, 2021
I used to work at the Clement street Walgreens about 15 years ago (that one is closing) and we got robbed at least once a month by gunpoint. One of the robbers hit us up 3 times in 6 months not wearing a mask. They never caught him. Don't get me started on the law enforcement being practically useless. Shoplifting was rampant, not on the level you see it today but we always let them go. I really feel bad for the people that work there. It's scary working there at night and for some that job was their career.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
All the viral videos that have come out of the shoplifting are crazy. People literally don't give a fuck because there are no consequences. The security can't do anything because of liability and the SF DA won't prosecute these types of crimes.

This one is across the bay in Alameda

also to be clear it's not just Walgreens/CVS it's any retail stores. The Gap downtown closed too. This video goes into it more:

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
So I'm a little confused.

I'm not confused on whether Walgreens is a POS, so let's leave that out of the equation for a second.

Is there a rampant shoplifting problem in SF or is it overblown? We have posters who live there saying it's a problem, and others who say nah, it's not that big of a deal.
I'm willing to bet those people don't live here. I'm glad I no longer work downtown.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
All the viral videos that have come out of the shoplifting are crazy. People literally don't give a fuck because there are no consequences. The security can't do anything because of liability and the SF DA won't prosecute these types of crimes.

The narrative is that the SF DA won't prosecute misdemeanors, the reality is that prosecution is down, but most of those videos would be felonies.

It's confusing to me that these conversations are always about the SF DA's policy and not the wild income inequality in the Bay Area

Sadly, very few people actually care about those in poverty.

WindUp

Oct 30, 2017
It's confusing to me that these conversations are always about the SF DA's policy and not the wild income inequality in the Bay Area

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
The narrative is that the SF DA won't prosecute misdemeanors, the reality is that prosecution is down, but most of those videos would be felonies.
I've heard from some people that the police themselves are letting things like this slide because they're at odds with the city government wanting to hold them accountable; so ostensibly they're "creating" a problem that they can later solve.

I have absolutely nothing to back this up though, could be speculation or conjecture.

Sandersson

Banned
Feb 5, 2018

This one is across the bay in Alameda

also to be clear it's not just Walgreens/CVS it's any retail stores. The Gap downtown closed too. This video goes into it more:

Fake news, its just corpo greed!