• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DarthSpider

The Fallen
Nov 15, 2017
Hiroshima, Japan
Is there a consensus on myfitnesspal or loseit?

This is just me, but I couldn't do this without Lose It. I've lost 14kg so far since February 1st by tracking my calories every day. The one thing I've seen again and again though that I kind of agree with is to ignore the exercise calories. Look at your daily calorie balance and that number only, and try to stay under that number, even if your exercises synch up and tell you can eat more. I think if you're running half marathons or whatever then maybe you can take that into consideration, but if you're not going super heavy, then I think it's best to ignore the exercise calories. But again, for me, I need that accountability, and the app is perfect for that.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
The one thing I've seen again and again though that I kind of agree with is to ignore the exercise calories.
This is 100% the way to go. Only time I'd say to do otherwise is if you do 1.5h+ of high intensity or 2h+ of moderate intensity (which most people wont be doing).

I regularly do bulk / maintain / cut cycles as part of training and the most effective cutting periods are always when I ignore exercise calories. Not least because none of the systems are capable of estimating calorie burn even close to accurately (even the ones based on wattage are off in my experience).

Mar 22, 2019
Ok that's it. Hit 40 last week, decided to weigh myself and despite doing pretty well with 30-40min exercise every day fairly intense with Apple fitness on running, rowing or strength I am at 100kg.

Time to adjust the eating as my fitness is pretty good but clearly the fat and weight are hanging around.

I guess easiest thing is to just stop all sugar and carbs right off the bat?

Oct 26, 2017
Ok that's it. Hit 40 last week, decided to weigh myself and despite doing pretty well with 30-40min exercise every day fairly intense with Apple fitness on running, rowing or strength I am at 100kg.

Time to adjust the eating as my fitness is pretty good but clearly the fat and weight are hanging around.

Limiting the amount of salt, sugar and carbs and upping your fruit, veg, and protein intake is the easiest way to go about it

You don't have to completely cut those 3 out but being smart about how much you take in makes a huge difference

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017

At least, what my doctor recommended was to mainly decrease fat, eat food rich in carbs only the days I do strength exercise, but mainly increase my amount of protein intake to build up muscle, since that allows you to burn more calories in the long run.

PennyStonks

Banned
May 17, 2018
I feel like shit and my skin doesn't fit. I'm fasting tomorrow no matter what. I love to binge and fasting will let me do that!

OP
OP
viciouskillersquirrel

viciouskillersquirrel

Cheering your loss
Oct 25, 2017
Just under 27 hours to go! How is everyone doing? Are you ready to put in your final weigh-ins?

I weighed in at 69.5kg this morning.

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
Oh I thought it was at this month's end, damn. Oh well doesn't really matter. I think tomorrow there should be at least a little change from my last weigh-in. So far I haven't really lost weight from that but I have lost some centimetres from my waist, so that's very nice.

I reserved time for a body composition measurement next week on Wednesday. Really interested to see how much muscle I've lost (during this and last autumn when I started losing weight at 78 kg). At least doesn't feel like I've lost any significant amount but I'm sure there has been some.

DarthSpider

The Fallen
Nov 15, 2017
Hiroshima, Japan
108.2kg this morning. That's 14.5kg (32lbs) lost since I started tracking calories from February 1st. Still have a ways to go, but I'm still motivated.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
God dammit!!!

My period came back a day or so ago so I once again am full of hormones and water retention :/

Of course it had to happen this week

At 186lb

Challenge 12 Winners!
OP
OP
viciouskillersquirrel

viciouskillersquirrel

Cheering your loss
Oct 25, 2017
Aaand, it's over!

Total Weight Lost (kg): 91.6 kg
Total Weight Lost (lb): 200.9 lb

Total Loss Leader Foltzie
Leader Tot. Loss 10.2 kg / 22.5 lb
Leader % Loss 6.77%

Total Loss Runner-Up ChrisR
Runner-Up Tot. Loss 7.7 kg / 17 lb
Runner-Up % Loss 6.05%

% Loss Leader JAGMASK
Leader Tot. Loss 11.4 kg / 25.1 lb
Leader % Loss 9.93%

% Loss Runner-Up AstralTurfWarrior
Runner-Up Tot. Loss 6.2 kg / 13.7 lb
Runner-Up % Loss 8.64%​

Congratulations to our winners, JAGMASK and Foltzie !

Woohoo! Take a bow!

The next challenge will begin in, let's say, three weeks?

Last edited:

Foltzie

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Thank you, hopefully for the next challenge I can add more strength workouts.

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
Thanks for the thread! While losing weight so far (getting near a point where it's not really sensible anymore) has been pretty easy most of the time, there are still some times where you wanna break out of it and eat unhealthy things, but this thread for its part helped out with some of those times.

And nice job people!

SpeedyBlueDude

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Nov 17, 2017
Provo, Utah
7 weeks down in my new life style change in a pursuit for a healthy weight.

Weighed myself today as today is scale day.
Weight at 6 AM before I went to bed.

292.6, 1.4 pounds lost since last week,

Weight at 3 PM after sleeping.

290.2, 3.8 pounds lost since last week.

I've never weighed myself multiple times in a day. Is it normal for the scale to fluctuate so much throughout the day? No sure why I would weigh less after sleeping. Would love to know the science behind this.

OP
OP
viciouskillersquirrel

viciouskillersquirrel

Cheering your loss
Oct 25, 2017
7 weeks down in my new life style change in a pursuit for a healthy weight.

Weighed myself today as today is scale day.
Weight at 6 AM before I went to bed.

292.6, 1.4 pounds lost since last week,

Weight at 3 PM after sleeping.

290.2, 3.8 pounds lost since last week.

I've never weighed myself multiple times in a day. Is it normal for the scale to fluctuate so much throughout the day? No sure why I would weigh less after sleeping. Would love to know the science behind this.
That's normal. Your body loses water throughout the day as sweat and vapour in your breath. When you wake up from sleeping, you'll be dehydrated as a result and weigh less. Because of this, the reading on the scale will fluctuate in a range of about 3kg / 6lb throughout the day as you eat, drink, breathe, sweat and go to the toilet.

Then there's the effect of water retention, which can lift your average weight by an extra 2kg / 4lb on top of that.

You get a sense of your "real" weight if you weigh yourself at the same time each day under consistent conditions. For example, I weigh myself (naked) every morning after I wake up and go to the toilet. Another common one I've heard people do is as soon as they get home from work or just before dinner. As long as it's consistent method-wise, you'll get useful data.

Another interesting thing is that body fat is broken down by the body into simple sugars, which in turn are broken down into ATP by your cells' mitochondria, which your cells then use for energy, producing the waste products water and carbon dioxide. Then you breathe it out. It's a complicated process but the upshot is that body fat ends up as air, not poop.

Bear in mind that even with all that, weight loss is not linear. If you graph your weight consistently, you'll see a sawtooth graph like mine (showing my weight since the start of the year):

tgSwGNr.jpg

Zackat

Oct 25, 2017
I did make it down to 240, forgot to post it in here though. Wanna lose a little bit more so I'm looking forward to the next one.

JAGMASK

Jan 3, 2018
Aaand, it's over!

Total Weight Lost (kg): 91.6 kg
Total Weight Lost (lb): 200.9 lb

Total Loss Leader Foltzie​
Leader Tot. Loss 10.2 kg / 22.5 lb​
Leader % Loss 6.77%​
Total Loss Runner-Up ChrisR​
Runner-Up Tot. Loss 7.7 kg / 17 lb​
Runner-Up % Loss 6.05%​
% Loss Leader JAGMASK​
Leader Tot. Loss 11.4 kg / 25.1 lb​
Leader % Loss 9.93%​
% Loss Runner-Up AstralTurfWarrior​
Runner-Up Tot. Loss 6.2 kg / 13.7 lb​
Runner-Up % Loss 8.64%​

Congratulations to our winners, JAGMASK and Foltzie !

Woohoo! Take a bow!

The next challenge will begin in, let's say, three weeks?

Thank you! I would never have done as well as I have without the support of this challenge. You should also take a bow for sure! The hard work doesn't end here though, I have to keep it up. I've never felt so motivated to keep on track with my weight loss :)

Malo

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Bronx, NY
It's been a while since I posted so I figured it's time to give an update.

Last weight in: 247lb
Today's weight in: 227lb

I'm officially down 170lb and only have about 20lb left until I hit my goal. It's nice to finally start seeing the light at the end of tunnel but I'm not going to get complacent.

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
I haven't been following this thread much cause I've been on a weight loss journey since last year.

But I just wanna give props to everyone who's actively participating in this, you folks got this!

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Within half a kg of target (60kg), pretty happy with progress really. I've managed to put on enough muscle to not look like shit, whilst losing far more fat than I should ever have had. Ended up averaging out at 0.85kg (1.94lb) a week loss since New Year.

Going to start adding in calories slowly now until I find maint / recomp levels. Hopefully give me a bit more energy to train with.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
shit ass I missed the signup by this weekend. Is there a chance I could join in 3 days late? I've really gained a lot of weight in the last couple years and need some motivation and some group tracking. I dunno if I'll hit my weight loss goals but if I don't at least try then that's shitty of me. I'm not looking to win a competition and I won't, just looking for some group motivation.

Weighed in this morning at 249.6 lbs, the heaviest in my entire life.

Thanks for the OP and 5 posts btw, super informative. I've lost weight before in my life mostly just watching calories and I'm probably going to do the same thing now. I kinda hate these calorie counting apps. But gotta get used to them.

Weigh in on 4/20: 247.2 lbs.

Last edited:
OP
OP
viciouskillersquirrel

viciouskillersquirrel

Cheering your loss
Oct 25, 2017
shit ass I missed the signup by this weekend. Is there a chance I could join in 3 days late? I've really gained a lot of weight in the last couple years and need some motivation and some group tracking. I dunno if I'll hit my weight loss goals but if I don't at least try then that's shitty of me. I'm not looking to win a competition and I won't, just looking for some group motivation.

Weighed in this morning at 249.6 lbs, the heaviest in my entire life.

Thanks for the OP and 5 posts btw, super informative. I've lost weight before in my life mostly just watching calories and I'm probably going to do the same thing now. I kinda hate these calorie counting apps. But gotta get used to them
Actually that's my fault, you didn't miss anything - I had no sign ups because I didn't advertise and I've been moving, so I've been distracted.

Sorry everyone :/

I'll try to set something up soon with a revised date.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Actually that's my fault, you didn't miss anything - I had no sign ups because I didn't advertise and I've been moving, so I've been distracted.

Sorry everyone :/

I'll try to set something up soon with a revised date.

Dont you dare apologize! Your op has so much good info in plain english I really appreciate it. With so many diet fads and confusing advice on simple weight loss I needed something clearly explained with good scientific explanation. Got it from your op so much appreciated!

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
After a couple days of hard losses, have had two days of stagnation despite eating at a deficit. Monday and Tuesday were sort of "Resets" for me and it was so encouraging to see those reflected on the scale, but it's one of those psyiological anomalies, and now it's part of the mental game to stay motivated.

I topped out at about 250 this year, in a body that should be down around 220 for a healthier/normal weight (and really if I was super committed like 205-210). I'm committed to taking it slow, but this week calorie counting I weight in at 249.6 on Monday morning, and then had dropped to 247.2 on Tuesday, and then 245 on Wednesday. I was like, holy shit, I shouyld have been calorie counting for years. But then stagnated, 245.6 again on Thursday, and 246 today, despite generally keeping to the same deficit over those days.

Friday and Saturdays are the days that will be hardest for me to stick to a regiment. My wife and I order out or now *go out* (yay, vaccines) on Fridays, and I usually drink plenty of beer... but it's one of those things in life that I enjoy so much, I'm not willing to go full asceticism. So, I'm not going to drink beer from Sunday - Thursday, and then just try to keep it at moderate levels on Friday and Saturday. Offset what'll probably be a big meal tonight by eating light for lunch and getting in some good exercise today and tomorrow with the weather being nice.

Sorry, this is my "Sir...... this is a wendy's..." monologue, but the public rambling is a good way to get my mind straight for what I have to do to achieve steady, consistent long-term losses, and not get too hung up on the daily unexpected weight gains, keep my eyes focused on that ~10-15lbs long term goal, not the short term. And plus, going from 249.6 to 246 in 5 days is an achievement for me, even if the last 2 days were steady state.

Thinking about what I eat has really been a mental shift for me, and one that I appreciate. The calorie counting game (using "Lose It" which is pretty good, although sometimes confusing with the measurements) has really made me cogniscant of not eating extra pointless calories. I usually give my daughter goldfish or w/e after school/daycare, and when I'd go to pick her up I'd bring a bag to "give her some fishies," but inevitably eat 2 or 3 handfuls myself. And when I have this ceiling of calories, it's been a good reminder of, like, "do you want to eat 3 handfuls of goldfish at ~350 calories...? or would you rather preserve that for a proper dinner?" It's also helped me totally cut out the late night eating, like, 6:30 I finish dinner and I'm like, ok, I'm done for the day with eating, I hit my deficit goal, that's that. And that's been really good.

Last edited:

Foltzie

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Sorry, this is my "Sir...... this is a wendy's..." monologue, but the public rambling is a good way to get my mind straight for what I have to do to achieve steady, consistent long-term losses, and not get too hung up on the daily unexpected weight gains, keep my eyes focused on that ~10-15lbs long term goal, not the short term. And plus, going from 249.6 to 246 in 5 days is an achievement for me, even if the last 2 days were steady state.
Whatever works. I haven't found something that sticks for me yet. This is a public as I've ever gotten with my struggle and it causes anxiety even participating here.

Mar 3, 2018
I ended up gaining about 22lb due to a mix of stress eating, pandemic, winter etc...the usual suspects. I have now lost that weight and hoping to lose some more to get leaner. I do intermittent fasting and mostly drink tea and water until 4 pm, and then have a light snack, then my main meal, and afterwards, I tend to have some fruit as snacks for the day. My friend thinks it's unhealthy to eat fruit every day and making me lose weight slower than I potentially can.

Any thoughts on this? I have a sweet tooth and would crumble if I cant eat some grapes, melons or pomegranate end of the day. And also I am worried now whether having fruit daily messes up my pancreas or something....

Oct 27, 2017
I ended up gaining about 22lb due to a mix of stress eating, pandemic, winter etc...the usual suspects. I have now lost that weight and hoping to lose some more to get leaner. I do intermittent fasting and mostly drink tea and water until 4 pm, and then have a light snack, then my main meal, and afterwards, I tend to have some fruit as snacks for the day. My friend thinks it's unhealthy to eat fruit every day and making me lose weight slower than I potentially can.

Any thoughts on this? I have a sweet tooth and would crumble if I cant eat some grapes, melons or pomegranate end of the day. And also I am worried now whether having fruit daily messes up my pancreas or something....

Fruit has natural sugars and carbs sure, but there's no problem eating them every day, just make sure you account for this with whatever diet you may be following. I have bananas/apples all the time, great for fueling workouts as well.

OP
OP
viciouskillersquirrel

viciouskillersquirrel

Cheering your loss
Oct 25, 2017
Whatever works. I haven't found something that sticks for me yet. This is a public as I've ever gotten with my struggle and it causes anxiety even participating here.
It's rough unlearning something as fundamental as your eating habits. It ties into so many basic things about simply being a person. Small, sustainable changes one at a time and keep trying to find your "way". We'll all get there.

EDIT: I've got what is hopefully the last open house today, and then I'll have some time again to properly organise the next challenge. Sorry again for the delay - this has been the most stressful non-medical related few weeks of my life.

Bookman

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure if this it the right thread but to make a long story short. I used to be kind of fit but around 2012 I sort of stoped taking care of myself and steady gained weight. At that time I was around 80 kg and used to bodybuild like on a very amateur level but still, it kept me going. Exactly one year ago (according to Facebook) i joked about my weigh was around 105 kg (but it probably was about higher) and my son was worried about me. I stared to work out a bit an Dec 06 last year I was down to 86 witch is a rapid weight loss.

Then the gym closed

Both that the gym got closed and me probably feeling pretty slim made me loose momentum and also loose inspiration and I (off course) gained some weight.

Now I'm at 86 again and i just need to loose 6 kg to make me feel like myself again. Im sort of deppresed by the fact that I have lost a lot of muscle mass so I was thinking that i should "hurry upp" to loose my final 6kg so i can start going to the gym when that are opening.

But here is the problem. I'm so fucking tired after work this weekend i have only been sleeping. I really don't feel any motivation and today i have just been really passive and haven't even left the House.

So I'm actually wondering if there is anyone who uses run keeper or have some sort of what's app group ore something so that i could get some exercise friends ? Discord or whatever you kids using these days? I should really need a push fore those last kg and then later for working out at the gym?

Red or Alive

Oct 28, 2017
Hello, everyone!

I think I've completed my weight loss journey - I've gone from 85 kg as of last June/July to about 66 kg. As a 5'8 male I considered going down to 65 kg but my family are now expressing some concern, so I'm going to try and keep things between 66.5 and 67.5 kg as my 'final' weight.

Which leads me to this thread. The weight loss was achieved mostly by sticking to a daily limit of 1,500 calories from Sunday to Friday. Therefore, I am assuming my body has now trained to itself to expect 1,500 calories instead of the 2,000 generally quoted as being the maintenance figure for adult men.

Should I try and target 1,800 calories for 2-4 weeks and then move up to 2,000 calories or have I gotten the wrong idea here? Also, are cheat days no longer a thing when not dieting? For context, at the moment, my regular exercise is 3-4 hours of brisk walking every week.

Oct 27, 2017
Hello, everyone!

I think I've completed my weight loss journey - I've gone from 85 kg as of last June/July to about 66 kg. As a 5'8 male I considered going down to 65 kg but my family are now expressing some concern, so I'm going to try and keep things between 66.5 and 67.5 kg as my 'final' weight.

Which leads me to this thread. The weight loss was achieved mostly by sticking to a daily limit of 1,500 calories from Sunday to Friday. Therefore, I am assuming my body has now trained to itself to expect 1,500 calories instead of the 2,000 generally quoted as being the maintenance figure for adult men.

Should I try and target 1,800 calories for 2-4 weeks and then move up to 2,000 calories or have I gotten the wrong idea here? Also, are cheat days no longer a thing when not dieting? For context, at the moment, my regular exercise is 3-4 hours of brisk walking every week.

Congrats on your weight loss. I'm about the same height as you and am starting back into my routine today to drop ~10 kg/25 lbs after a pretty sedentary quarantine. Will hopefully annoy all in this thread with positive updates.

Putting weight back on can go a number of different ways depending on what your next goal is. Do you want to put it on as fat or muscle? If you just want a little fat to soften up your look, just eat until it's back, just don't fall into bad eating habits.

Putting it back on as muscle is much trickier, you'll have to eat more, but cleaner/with more protein, and you'll have to start straining your muscles through exercise so they'll know to earmark all that protein for muscle growth. Depending on your goals/how many cals you're burning, you may have to eat a lot more.

As far as calorie counting goes, your target figure depends on how many cals/day you're actually burning. It would be easy just to say 1800 or 2000, but we don't know how active you are at work/home, how strenuous/long your walks are, what your cheat days look like, etc. You could gain weight by eating 1800 cals/day if you're sitting in a chair all day, or you could lose weight with the same intake if you're throwing tires at a factory or something.

Red or Alive

Oct 28, 2017
I'm just trying to keep the weight off/maintain my current weight and am wondering if I should increase my daily calorie intake in phases.

My exercise is mostly 3 hours of power walking a week, although I am extremely sedentary outside of that, working from home. Body toning is something I'll look into once I'm vaccinated and can go to the gym (although I have everything I need at home to do some decent resistance training).

Increasing muscle mass isn't really something I'm thinking about until then.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
No need to worry about phasing the calories back up, your body will probably be happy to have the extra calories. 1800-2000 calories sounds like a good place to start. Since you're mostly sedentary, this should put you close enough to your BMR (how many calories you burn in the background just to stay alive) that you shouldn't experience any crazy weight gain/loss. Weigh yourself once a week or so and adjust depending on how you feel/what the scale says.

I don't want to come across as an expert or anything, the ppl in the Fitness OT are lightyears ahead of me -- it's just that we have around the same height/weight/goals so I'm just sharing what I would do.

Is this thread a good spot to add updates? I'm not interested in the competition necessarily, I just hold myself more accountable if I put my progress out into the world. Probably gained about 10lbs through the pandemic and am firing up the old routine I did a few years back. 5'7 male, ~170 lbs. My frame is such that I actually look pretty decent at 160 or so, but I'd like to try and dip down to 150 & see how I look/feel before deciding when to stop.

I hit 190 in 2017 and the alarm bells went off, dropped down to 160 in 4 months by religiously counting/weighing every calorie going into my body/tracking my heart rate while exercising to estimate calorie burn etc. I used this calculator to project weight loss into the future. It's more of a motivational tool rather than an accurate predictor, but I actually found myself eerily close to the projection every week, which kept me going. Only reason I stopped at 160 last time was a friends' multi-week destination wedding throwing me wayyy off.

Started back up earnestly yesterday and couldn't actually get 1500 calories down (but I had hell of cals on Sunday as my last hurrah so maybe I was still full). Gamifying my calories/macros is super effective for me. Anyone have any tricks they use to keep motivated/keep counting? I use myfitnesspal and put in my calories for the whole day all at once. That way, I know exactly what I'm eating and it's super easy to turn down a treat since every calorie is already spoken for. Drinking lots of unsweetened iced tea to keep my energy/metabolism up. I have a cheap old exercise bike that I use along with bodyweight exercises to keep the burn going.

If anyone wants to trade tips/motivation or just chat about their goals/progress come on down.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Checking in today I'm down to 242.4, down from 249.8 when I started. Very glad with my progress thus far.

Like some others I've mostly been calorie counting Sunday thru Friday. On Fridays my wife and I get takeout and beers and that's something I really look forward to, so just trying to work down slowly while I can during the week knowing that I'll add some back on the weekend and hopefully be at a net loss each week. I've also gotten back into running and now getting about a 31-32 minute 5K. I'd like to get sub 30min in the next few weeks and I'm confident i can. I still usually take a walking break sometime after the second mile, so slowly eliminating that should shave some time off as well as slowly speeding up in my other splits.

Also just some small lifestyle changes --

Haven't had fast food since I started 10+ days ago. Haven't had a donut since I started. Have had ice cream but it was my wife's bday so I'm cool with that, I'm just not going to *buy* ice cream to have it in the house. I firmed some really bad habits over the last year in pandemic, rewarding myself with fast food lunches at least once a week, getting donuts or muchkins with my toddler on the weekend and eating whatever she didn't eat (which was usually most of the donuts or muchkins). Gave up drinking Sunday thru Friday unless it's a special occasion, like tonight watching the nfl draft with a buddy I'll have some beer.

Ideally my long term goal is to get back down into the 220s. It's a long term goal and I'm hoping that in 6 months I'll still be on track.

Good luck everyone and keep up the good work! Thanks again OP for the details.

Ambitious

Oct 26, 2017
I managed to lose about 12kg last year by eating less and going jogging almost daily for a period of about 5 months.

Then Winter came, and it got too cold for me to jog, and I kept eating more and more.. and now I've gained 6kg again. So depressing.

I started jogging and fasting two days ago, but I feel so discouraged from being so far away from my goal again (-25kg). It's gonna take at least another half a year, and this time, I just don't have the determination.

Kaizer

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I managed to lose about 12kg last year by eating less and going jogging almost daily for a period of about 5 months.

Then Winter came, and it got too cold for me to jog, and I kept eating more and more.. and now I've gained 6kg again. So depressing.

I started jogging and fasting two days ago, but I feel so discouraged from being so far away from my goal again (-25kg). It's gonna take at least another half a year, and this time, I just don't have the determination.

Whenever I got discouraged on my weight loss journey about how long it will take for me to shed the pounds (in my case I've got about a good 20 lbs. to lose), I think about how a year from now I don't want to be stuck in the same position I'm currently in. So yes, it might take you another half year to reach your goal, but that's still better than being the same size or even heavier a year from now.

It also helps to break down goals into small milestones, rather than focus on the total amount of weight you have to lose, perhaps you can turn your focus towards getting back into jogging consistently & fasting properly like you did when you were at your peak. And if you really think about it, time is a funny thing - it blows my mind we're already in May for 2021 when it still feels like the year was just starting not too long ago. Just focus on taking it one day at a time.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Have hit my single day, bodyfat and 7 day rolling average targets. Down about 15% of my body weight since January, and ~8% body fat.

Started slowly increasing calories a few weeks ago and it feels like I've hit a good number where I can maintain my weight. Still having to be careful though, very easy to lose focus and put a bunch back on.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
243lbs this morning, which I think is a good place to keep some steady losses going through this week. MOstly feeling pretty good about taking 2 steps forward Sun->Thur, and 1 step back on Friday/Sat/Sun.

I'm in the same boat as you, in that last year (March 2020) I decided I had to lose about 10-15 lbs (6-7kg), that I'd let my weight get too high. I was about 235 lbs (106kg) and that was probably the heaviest I had ever been. I had decided, that's it, I'm gonna do it. And then COVID hit, my workout routines that I had were done, and I formed some horrible habits... Fast forward to 2021, and now not only had I not lost 10-15lbs, I gained about 15lbs up to 250lbs (113kg).

This was really frustrating for me because now every pound I lose I'm still 10lbs heavier than I was when I *Wanted* to do this.

But, I've just had to block out what was in the past. The past was last year and this is the reality I'm in now, and this is my new starting point. Celebrating the small goals like being down ~5lbs consistently over the last couple weeks is a good thing for me to embrace. Can't focus on where I used to be or how I'm playing catch-up with last year, just focused on where I can get going forward now.

Ambitious

Oct 26, 2017
243lbs this morning, which I think is a good place to keep some steady losses going through this week. MOstly feeling pretty good about taking 2 steps forward Sun->Thur, and 1 step back on Friday/Sat/Sun.

I'm in the same boat as you, in that last year (March 2020) I decided I had to lose about 10-15 lbs (6-7kg), that I'd let my weight get too high. I was about 235 lbs (106kg) and that was probably the heaviest I had ever been. I had decided, that's it, I'm gonna do it. And then COVID hit, my workout routines that I had were done, and I formed some horrible habits... Fast forward to 2021, and now not only had I not lost 10-15lbs, I gained about 15lbs up to 250lbs (113kg).

This was really frustrating for me because now every pound I lose I'm still 10lbs heavier than I was when I *Wanted* to do this.

But, I've just had to block out what was in the past. The past was last year and this is the reality I'm in now, and this is my new starting point. Celebrating the small goals like being down ~5lbs consistently over the last couple weeks is a good thing for me to embrace. Can't focus on where I used to be or how I'm playing catch-up with last year, just focused on where I can get going forward now.

Makes sense. But my weight barely goes down, even though I'm hungry all the time. Am I supposed to eat even less? I just can't.
Another factor is that I suffer from depression. Getting up and going out is hard for me. And eating is one of the few things that make me feel good.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Makes sense. But my weight barely goes down, even though I'm hungry all the time. Am I supposed to eat even less? I just can't.
Another factor is that I suffer from depression. Getting up and going out is hard for me. And eating is one of the few things that make me feel good.

Yeah the psychological connection to eating is the hardest thing for me, esp the last year... eating was like my "reward" for the day, ice cream, or even just weird snacks like goldfish crackers or something.

I think thinking long term is the good thing, and if you eat at a calorie deficit then your weight will go down just slowly. I started using "LoseIt" the app posted in the op, and it basically sets out "what's your goal" (say, lose 10lbs or 6kg), and then you enter your height, weight, etc., and how long you want to work to lose the weight, so I put 3 months, not really knowing what my timeline was, and it's given me a pretty reasonable calorie count for every day to be under... 2300 calories, which is actually more than enough for me for a "normal" day. The thing I have to be careful of for me is Friday & Saturday over-eating or over-drinking (beer is my consistent weakness).

But also the weight thing and the depression are (as you know) probably linked. Do you talk to a therapist?

Ambitious

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah the psychological connection to eating is the hardest thing for me, esp the last year... eating was like my "reward" for the day, ice cream, or even just weird snacks like goldfish crackers or something.

I think thinking long term is the good thing, and if you eat at a calorie deficit then your weight will go down just slowly. I started using "LoseIt" the app posted in the op, and it basically sets out "what's your goal" (say, lose 10lbs or 6kg), and then you enter your height, weight, etc., and how long you want to work to lose the weight, so I put 3 months, not really knowing what my timeline was, and it's given me a pretty reasonable calorie count for every day to be under... 2300 calories, which is actually more than enough for me for a "normal" day. The thing I have to be careful of for me is Friday & Saturday over-eating or over-drinking (beer is my consistent weakness).

But also the weight thing and the depression are (as you know) probably linked. Do you talk to a therapist?

I use a weight tracking app and enter my weight daily. Last year, I made incredible progress, and it was so satisfying to see the numbers go down all the time. About 0.5kg per week, for a period of several months. It felt great, but this year I haven't found that drive/motivation yet.

Yeah, I've been in therapy for over two years.

DarthSpider

The Fallen
Nov 15, 2017
Hiroshima, Japan
I've lost about 22kg (nearly 50lbs) so far this year. I started at 122.7kg and should get under 99kg for the first time in a decade sometime in the next week or two. We just had Golden Week here in Japan, and I totally abandoned my diet for about 4 days. It was nice, but happily my motivation is still here and from today I'm back on the calorie counting and healthy eating path. For my body type, a final weight of somewhere 85kg-ish would probably be good.

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
I set myself a challenge to lose as much weight as I could in 6 weeks, and have lost 16 pounds! I'm aiming to lose another 6 pounds and then I'll be happy.